Comics!

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Re: Comics!

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

I have been buying comics on iPad. I'll check the Marvel shop.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Yep, that Ultimate run is in the Marvel app. You reckon it's the bomb GW? I am frikkin loving the comics on the pad now, I have a collection growing, superman, batman stuff aswell. Just got Jim Lees first run on X Men! It's awesome.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Pretty much all of Ultimate Avengers by Millar is awesome, and the Death Of Spider-Man series that crosses between UA and SM is excellent. It feels like what the two of them were doing 10 years ago when they first created the Ultimate universe.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Death of Spider-Man is just awesome... I have no idea what they are doing now... oh man...

Oh yeah, Millar has one more issue of Ultimate Avengers and that's it... he has left Marvel.

Good on him though, he owns his own comic company and his a buttload of films due out soon.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

I've seen the death of spidey stuff on the Marvel shop but they are still charging like 5 bucks each for em. I buy whatever is on special in the comics apps, fucken loving it, just finished some iron man stuff now I'm into some more New Avengers, I fucken love the new Avengers.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

GreyWizard.

Dood.

Get an iPad and the comics apps. The app now has the proper US prices, there are weekly 99c series on sale, it's fucken genius. It's like the pad was made for reading comics.

For cereal.

Do it.
van

Post by van »

Android tablets have a good comic app, just sayin'. :)

https://market.android.com/details?id=c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ogy.comics

And this is great for CBZ and CBR files, which you can store easily on your tablet along with all the other files you own without having to sync in some weirdarse restrictive fashion. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.komik.free" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Oh mate any tablet! Get on it I say, it's genius, no more paying over the odds for trades no adds. I get genius comics daily.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Yep, sounds great, I might grab one for September when DC reboots the universe and does same day releases for paper and digital.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Comics!

It is the way to read comics IMO. Poor old bricks and mortar shops days are numbered I reckon.
van

Post by van »

Absofuckinglutely.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Stupid Ultimate Fallout making me cry :( FUCK YOU BENDIS!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I am excite for dc reboot

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... unch_n.htm
van

Post by van »

Yer, me too.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

No undies for Supes? Lame. Will definately be checking it out tho. DC for life.

Been reading WW HULK as I mentioned in that iPad thread, now I'm onto a shitload of Brubaker penned Captain America and they are fucken genius. I picked up that Planetary omnibus on comixology too - I had the first trade a while back and dug the story now I've got em all! It rules, it's like George Orwell and Jules Verne mixed with Alan Moore.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I find the two Superman lines odd, one set 5 years earlier than the current universe. I'm guessing that's just for the first few issues so we know how he has gotten to where he has gotten in the universe. Interesting that there are no "superheros" until they form the league and make it official.

Interesting to see where they are taking it.
van

Post by van »

BKV is back! He's got a scifi comic called Saga coming in 2012.

Info, an interview and a little art; http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... e&id=33472
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Comics!

The Planetary digital omnibus is frikkin genius.

That is all.
van

Post by van »

Any of you dropkicks read Nonplayer yet?

http://projectwaldo.blogspot.com/2011/0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... hings.html
At around 1 p.m. PST today, Variety magazine reported that Nonplayer had been picked up by Warner Bros., which is a company that makes moving pictures. We (or at least I) had not anticipated this leak, so I was a little unprepared for the new experience of sailing Nonplayer out past the sheltering breakwater of the comics world and into the choppy seas of the Internet at large.

Over the past twelve hours, Nonplayer has become something of a lightning rod for certain angry constituencies inside and outside of the comics world. Probably most common is the "one and done" critique, which suggests that I have cynically created a single comic book with the express intent of selling it off to a movie studio, never to draw another comic again. Some see a dark portent in Warner Bros.' eagerness to sign on the strength of a single issue -- is this the moment when Hollywood's comic book strip mine hits the water table? And still others just think Nonplayer isn't developed enough, or good enough, to deserve this sort of attention to begin with.

So that I am not tempted to waste hours defending myself on the Internet, I want to lay out a few facts here and then leave this whole topic alone for the rest of time.
I will finish the Nonplayer story arc. It may take years, but it'll get done.

The second issue will not go slower because of the Warner deal. If anything, this deal makes it easier for me to devote myself completely to the comic.

I am very excited to see Nonplayer adapted as a live-action film. And because the producer behind the Harry Potter franchise is overseeing it, I think it stands a very good chance of being a visually striking, intelligent, and emotionally nuanced film. I don't see how the existence of a Nonplayer movie in any way effects the quality or meaning of the comic I'm drawing. I want to see Dana ride Pookie into battle on the big screen. That's going to be sweet, and you know it.

The deal was not made on the strength of the first issue alone. Warner was shown a very detailed breakdown of the entire story, and they liked what they saw.

Warner Bros. has shown a heartening eagerness to swing for the fences, creatively. Inception, Harry Potter, and the Dark Knight have taught them that there's a market for thoughtful fantasy, and I think you're going to see a number of unprecedentedly cool movies from them in the coming years. Yes, there have been too many superhero films lately.

Does that mean that we should pooh-pooh every idea that finds its first expression in the medium of comics? It's a pretty broad medium, guys.

Anyway, I hope that if you like the comic, you'll keep reading it as it (slowly) comes out. I'll be doing what I always do -- trying to figure out how to tell a story with pictures. I'm still wrestling with page composition and clunky dialogue, still using every blend mode to try and surprise myself with new color combinations. This morning,

I spent way too much time trying to make a utility pole look good. Nothing has changed here at the studio.

This was all supposed to be fun, remember?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I love idiots

http://www.oliverwillis.com/2011/08/03/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... lle-obama/

if listening to audio by itself is boring
KillKen
lazy
XBL ID: KillKen

Post by KillKen »

Picked up a copy of Damaged, Sam Worthington's new comic (got it signed too!) at comic con. I am not a comic book reader and really just got it to meet him :D but it's not too bad.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Having a cold and reading Ultimate Fallout issue 6 don't mix :(
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I'm working my way through flashpoint so I can read justice league 1.

Action comics 1 this week!!!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Best story in Flashpoint was Batman. I'm hoping they release a joker figurine. Best character redsign.

Just read Justice League #1 and ir felt pretty good. I'm hoping they don't draw the story out too much though... it already starts 5 years in the past...

I love how cocky Hal is, and the Supes suit looks awesome. Hopefully I can get Action comics soon. I need moar!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I'm a bit undecided about the new 52, but I want to talk about it more once I've read all 52.

New Ultimate Spider-Man is awesome. I welcome Miles Morales and his new abilities with open arms. If bendis wasn't writing it though I'd probably stop reading. His conversational writing style and love for the characters and world they live in is what makes the comic work.