Games Ranch health and fitness discussion

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

David Carney

Post by David Carney »

Yeah I took it again this morning and it was pretty much spot on 60 bpm so perhaps it was slowing down because it was close to bed time. I don't mind the creatine either, health professionals are increasingly getting behind it. Only thing I found with it was I was more thirsty than normal (which is very thirsty anyway) and I'd often get up in the middle of the night because of all the water retention. I'm off it now but might try it again soon.
David Carney

Post by David Carney »

I figure some of you fat bastards will be making new years resolutions that will probably fall by the wayside come Australia Day :lol: but for those who want to sculpt a better body and better health for themselves I just thought I'd pass along this useful link I found.

http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/

The mp4 videos are quite helpful and varied, though I hope more are added.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Well I've stagnated a bit in my exercise, I've kept eating pretty well though and I guess that's seen my weight not move from the 98-100kg mark.

I'm a little pleased and disappointed at the same time, disappointed because I haven't gotten off my arse and done a bit more exercise when I should - however pleased that I've managed to keep the weight off.

I think it's just a matter of getting back into routine for me, I've stuffed around a bit because I went on holiday to Tokyo, then had a couple of weeks off afterwards aswell where I basically did nothing, and once I returned to work getting back into the daily slog I didn't feel like using my lunch break to exercise.

Once I did get back into it though, BAM! Work holidays rolled around and it was booze filled weekends and short weeks (not that the booze-filled part is entirely different to most weekends, something I could do with changing though) and now that that's finished up I've just got to kick start it all again if I want to keep dropping the KG's I think.

I think I'll stick to what's been working, about a half hour of running/jogging on the tready and some weights, but I think supplementing that with another half hour to hour on an exercise bike at night wouldn't hurt either, or some more unicycling maybe... but I think I prefer that as leisure as opposed to making a habitual exercise of it.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Your weight hasn't moved, but what about your body composition? I personally worry more about body fat percentage rather than kilograms.

As for me, I took a week and a bit off from any sort of exercise as I usually do at the end of the year. Returned to the gym today as refreshed mentally and physically as I've ever been and I hit it and hit it hard. Shoulders = destroyed. Started loading back up on the creatine as well.

Totally primed for another year of progress. If it goes as well as 06 I expect I'll be huge and ripped before 08 rolls around.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Hmm, not really anything that I noticed. I mean I haven't been including much weights in my regular exercise, as that was always my secondary focus, so if I started loading them up I'd be hurting either way hehe. Mainly I've been running/jogging, and over my time off whilst I didn't do that specifically I still did a fair bit of swimming/unicycling for leisure which probably helped keep me in check.

At any rate I started back up on my daily routine (well all weekdays) on Monday and I've been sticking to that. I do about 25 mins of non-stop running/jogging and then walk for 5-10 after that as it's all the time I can afford on my lunch break and I'm feeling good.

Tiring stuff considering I'm still not super fit, but in a good way. I'm sticking to it better than I was before, as when I was doing it before I had my break as the week went on I'd probably only run for 15 mins and then walk, so hopefully my progress will be a bit speedier, but I might need that extra oomph just to keep dropping the kilos as I get lighter.

Anyway, might start adding weights back into the mix later, but for now being back into exercising period is good stuff!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

IMO lifting weights will be a godsend for you as you'll still be burning those calories that you need to in order to reduce fat, but you'll also be adding some quality lean mass which will make you look as good as you can.

The problem I have with the idea behind doing primarily cardio work (unless you're some huge morbidly obese whale) is that while you will reduce your weight, you'll essentially be a smaller version of yourself.

Weights + cardio + qualerty diet = winnar
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

My dinner tonight....

Had a huge gym session this afternoon, my chest and arms are fucked.
Lucky I'm not meeting with those German chickies tonight.
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

Adelaide-ianites : I'm thinking I need to start going to the (a) gym. Do any of you have a current or previous memberships anywhere decent?
A few weeks ago, I did some 'trade' work at Fitness First in the CBD. I know there's a lot out there...I also know that FF is at the top in this business, therefore being the most luxurious yet the most outrageous in price.
Anything a bit more simple you guys can tell me about?
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

My current split...

Monday - chest
Tuesday - legs
Wednesday - back, shoulders
Thursday - triceps
Friday - biceps

So I'm training biceps last night and I started with some wide bar curls. Warmup with the bar. First set 40kg x 12, no sweat. 50kg next set for 10 - feeling strong. 55kg next set for 10 again - time to bring out the plates. 60kgs and my lanky frame is getting it up for two sets of 6. Now excuse me but curling two plates on a 20kg bar is pretty damn good imho. You see a dude curling two plates and you think to yourlsef 'yep, he's pretty fit' so needless to say I'm content with my early '07 regime. :)
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Candy Arse wrote:IMO lifting weights will be a godsend for you as you'll still be burning those calories that you need to in order to reduce fat, but you'll also be adding some quality lean mass which will make you look as good as you can.

The problem I have with the idea behind doing primarily cardio work (unless you're some huge morbidly obese whale) is that while you will reduce your weight, you'll essentially be a smaller version of yourself.

Weights + cardio + qualerty diet = winnar
Yeah I was pretty big so I was happy just doing cardio to slim down, but I suppose now that I've lost the bulk of the weight already from doing cardio alone I could probably mix it up a bit more.

I've bought myself a skipping rope to start doing in lieu of jogging/running because I'm so over it, fucking boring as - and also to add a bit more of an all over exercise ie it's not lifting weights but it'll help the arms.

And shit, skipping is wearing me out like nothing else.. :shock: after my first day of it my calves were sore and my stomach (well ab muscles I guess) so I think I've found my new exercise lol I'm kind of surprised I never got sore calves or anything whilst jogging, considering I'd do 20-25 minutes on end each day for 5 days, but I guess jumping up and down is probably a bit more strenuous, don't quite know how I hammered my stomach though lol

but yeah, it's good stuff, I bought a weighted skipping rope too so this should be awesome :up:
Jub-Jub
Annoying high-res logo
Annoying high-res logo

Post by Jub-Jub »

All I do is go for runs now, don't go to the gym or do weights any more. Also do some crunches and pushups at home but thats it. Go for runs for about 40 min most days.

Gyms are for chix and fags.
Jub-Jub has spoken.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

I stopped going to the gym roughly six months ago. I now do push-ups, go for the occasional run at the beach, and surf usually 2 - 3 times a week. I've become far leaner than when I went to gym, and feel a whole lot better as well. I suppose I also cut all the shit out of my diet, so it could be that as well. Been eating quite a bit of grilled fish lately.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

The whole gym thing has never really appealed to me for the simple reason that I'd be putting all that effort in for pretty much no functional reason. I try to keep relatively fit by playing as much sport as possible (1 hour of soccer on Tuesday, and Thursday) plus will be starting the soccer season up soon. I really should do more than that though.

Getting an excercise regime as such has always been one of those round-to-it things for me. I need someone to motivate me. Does anyone on the forum feel like adopting a role as my fitness mentor, by suggesting excercises to do, when to do them etc?
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

I just started by doing push-ups every day and seeing if I could improve. Over the last 3 months I went from being able to do 20 in a row to 50 in a row. Now I do 3 sets of 50 every day.

Just watch Rocky 1 and you'll be motivated. :D
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

my job (courier) is great for getting fit.
the weight has fallen off my and i've bulked up a bit, driving around in a van with no power steering is great for the upper body, and of course running around is great for the legs and losing fat.

I enjoy eating any food and drinking beer and without getting fat, it's great!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

living the dream jizz, living the dream.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

wouldn't say that.

it's the only good thing about this job, I look sexy.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

i meant about eating food and drinking beer..

I'm simple.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

If I couldn't go to the gym and destroy myself in hard weights sessions I'd literally break down and cry.

Best thing I've ever done. Ever.
David Carney

Post by David Carney »

I've stopped going to the gym. Not because they're for "chix and fags", rather I went and got myself a bench (bench press and leg curling facilities) and some dumbell/barbell weights. I figured I could do 85-90% of what a I want to do at home, and only go to the gym once or twice a fortnight for variation. I save time going to and from the gym, don't have to put up with they're shit music and can have my post workout shake straight away! :up:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'm still getting lighter on the scales despite being on a creatine load. This pleases me, though I'm still not happy overall, I am pleased with the direction I'm going in.

http://i16.tinypic.com/2vvs1g4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; < a pic of me taken just before Christmas. In keeping with my internets policy I'm not stupid enough to post a pic of any friends/family/loved ones etc. Though admittedly I would post a pic of some trophy piece I was drilling. Sadly no such trophy is in my cabinet atm.

Only real differences since that pic revolve around the reduction of bodyfat. I'd like to be down around 10% (or less) by year's end. As long as I remain dedicated to my diet, which I will, it will happen.
Jub-Jub
Annoying high-res logo
Annoying high-res logo

Post by Jub-Jub »

Im back at the gym now...

I went the other day and did a few weights, and I have to admit like anyone else I love the feeling of having wrecked muscles the next day.

Maybe gyms aren't for chix and fags after all.
Jub-Jub has spoken.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Candy Arse wrote:This pleases me, though I'm still not happy overall, I am pleased with the direction I'm going in.
And that's how it will remain forever. Pleased with the direction, never entirely happy overall. But then that's what drives us.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Maybe gyms aren't for chix and fags after all.
Maybe you're not an ignorant fool after all.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

First full field soccer pre-season game tonight. This is the point where I realise how unfit I am. Have been playing soccer twice a week, but on a reduced sized field in a social atmosphere for a few months now. Hopefully that will at least help somewhat.