Games Ranch health and fitness discussion

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: Games Ranch health and fitness discussion

Post by Candy Arse »

If you got qualified you could make a shitload of coin with that setup alone.
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

After cutting my last gym program slightly short due to chronic groin and knee issues, my new physio has banned me from squats while I'm working on flexibility as my excessively tight calves and Achilles means my form has degraded dramatically.

My depth had improved greatly, but I was either widening my stance for depth and my groin was copping it, or narrowing my stance to protect my groin and my knee was copping it due to overall muscular tightness. Now the aim is to get back in the gym but also make sure I'm doing rehab and flexibility work constantly.

I can still deadlift though, so at least I have that going for me.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Candy Arse wrote:If you got qualified you could make a shitload of coin with that setup alone.
Cheers man! Once the misses and I get a bigger house we'll get a few more machines and i want to build an olympic pad for deadies. How hard is it to become a PT by the way?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Very easy, go do the 6-month course and you're in.

Becoming a good one takes a little more work....
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

:lol:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

To kick off 2015 I decided to buy a new frameset, my old R3 cervelo got written off and I always wanted a S series, they released the new S3 last year, the aero benefits and compliance of R series in one bike, basically my dream bike, it's fast and I'm already setting new PRs on my local routes. :)

After doing the Big Red Ride last year, looking for a new challenge/target to train for this year.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Nice wheels, I can only dream of what that's like going up hills. :thumbsup:

lestat, do you have bike insurance? There's been a couple of incidents lately which has prompted me to think about it.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I just pay a yearly membership to bicyclensw and have income protection.

http://bicyclensw.org.au/membership/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That includes liability insurance for yourself and 3rd parties up to 20m. I looked into insurance for the actual bike and it was grossly overpriced, like $300+ a year with excess. So I just work on the basis of repairing/replacing the bike myself if it's my fault.

You just gotta be extra precautious on the roads, people have it in for cyclists now and don't have any concept of how their cars can easily kill. I try and wear highly visible clothing now, uses lights and just basically try and avoid busy shared roads as much as possible. I always assume the worst at intersections and buffer as much as possible, I try and do the same when I'm riding my scooter too. Safety in numbers too, i.e. riding in a bunch although there have been some incidences on freeways of drivers cleaning up bunches.
Last edited by lestat on 15 Feb 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Woah that's a nice bike.
-------------------------------------
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?

Post by cloud »

Madmya wrote:Nice wheels, I can only dream of what that's like going up hills. :thumbsup:

lestat, do you have bike insurance? There's been a couple of incidents lately which has prompted me to think about it.
You cycle Miles?!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Hah yeah about that... it's been kinda forced upon me. It's actually been pretty good though. I try to avoid traffic at all costs and just do the commute.

Cheers for the info lestat, that's perfect. I was more worried about damage to other cars from the near incidents, twice a bus has cut me off and left me no option but to plow into a parked car but both times I was able to pull up just in time.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I recently put a baby seat on the back of my bike after selling my car so I can take him to childcare a couple of days a week on it. I could hardly walk after the second week due to riding with my feet at different angles to avoid his feet. Thought it would be a good workout as I ride away from work so I've more than doubled my morning commute on those days but I ride a shity mountain bike.

Did your car breakdown Madmya?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Nahhhhhhhhh lost my licence.

I'm on a dual sports bike (like a hybrid, but with front suspension) because I thought I'd take it off road and shit. That's yet to happen. It's brutal going up hills when you see these dudes in their lycra and skinny arse wheels fly past. I feel your pain Froggy.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

ah I just remembered (might be wrong) you had an e46 beemer too and being summer assumed it may have died on your randomly!
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Bzzzzzzzzzzzt. XR8.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

now I see why you have lost your license lol
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End

cloud wrote:I splashed out and bought all my own gear. Just waiting on a trap bar and some more plates.

Never have to step foot in another Futurebrah fucktard gym again...plus i can crank the fucken METAL :rock:

Anyone got any killer trap workout exercise ideas?
Awesome. Update please. Are you lifting? All new homes should come with a power rack in the garage.

Great machine also, lestat. :up:
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?

Post by cloud »

Nah haven't lifted in over a month I fucked my upper back at work and I've been out of action :(
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Back. Sorry to hear. Hope rehab is swift.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Been going to the gym for the last month or so, use to workout 10 years ago a fair bit. Currently around 70kgs, thinish, but musclular, very low body fat.

I eat pretty healthy since I've started and want to start adding protein powders or whatever is the go these day. into my diet. Anyone got any tips on what to go with and good online stores that sell Em??

Also anyone got some good recipes on protein shakes to polish off before sleeping.....
Peppermint Lounge
The End

A rounded protein powder formula is MusclePharm Combat Powder. It combines fast and slow release ingredients so it works for sleeping. Cookies and cream flavour tastes great on its own and in smoothies.

http://musclepharm.com/store/all-products/combat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

This is a pimp for xbox fitness.

I was doing kyokushin karate with my son for the last 12 months, he's lost interest and I find it hard now to find time saturday mornings to go since he doesn't want to go.

The best part I loved about karate was cardio and leg work strength it was providing, it was improving my performance on the bike.

I was looking for a replacement and found that xbox fitness has some MMA based workouts, the mossa ones. I've been doing them and they bloody smash me more than the karate did, it's also very impressive how the kinect tracks your form and basically nags you when you're slacking off or doing it wrong. That instant visual feedback kinda replaces the role of a instructor/sensei at classes.

These workouts are free too, so if you've got a kinect sitting there doing nothing, give it a try. This really is a hidden gem and with so many fitness gadgets now, this could be the best one yet imo.

I mix this in at least once a week and still do my 100km weekend rides, I'll be ramping up my riding end/early next year because I have plans go to france and climb the Pyrenees for my 40th.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

What's your supplement regime with your long-distance riding lestat? Your carb requirements would be through the roof...
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Energy gels, lots of gatorade/salts to avoid cramps, you can get some really good energy cookie bars for longer rides, bananas are great. I try and carb up the night before, so have a good big meal.

You have a practical limit of what you can carry in your jersey pockets.

On a good ride you can burn 3000-4000kj, out of all the excercise I've done over the years, nothing burned fat off as well as riding did, your heartrate a lot of the time sits in that fat burning zone, once you eat up the carbs in your muscles you just metabolise fat for energy.

It's why after the accident I had to get back into it, nothing else I was doing was as effective at keeping weight off and controlling it like the time on the bike was.

I'm at 84kg now, a bit of a winter coat and the karate returned some upper body mass I shed cycling, but when I ramp up to 2-3 rides a week I get down to 78-80 pretty quickly. I don't go lower than that, anymore and people start thinking I have cancer. :lol:
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

I've been not weight training for nearly 2 weeks and I'm going a bit stir crazy. I had a great 12 weeks prior with putting on some good muscle and leaning out a bit too.. alas.. my right wrist is being a fucker and my left brachii-radialis is flaring up a bit which is preventing me from doing some things I love doing.. The rest is doing me some good though.. plus. FOOD.