Games Ranch health and fitness discussion

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

AgOnNy wrote:Fuck more, its a great all over body workout. Great for cardiovascular and even works your core muscles. For greater coverage, ensure you try some really wild positions, they are great and you will have fun. Even bring an exercise ball to the fun, trust me, girls love'em!!!

:up:
Already all over it, Ags!
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Weighed in at 110 this afternoon. The training and diet regimen is working a treat. Veins are popping out up my arms, the six pack is clearly visible. Still got a small layer of jello to remove towards the lower part of the abs, but overall I am pleased with my progress. Project Shoulder has yielded pleasing results and I'm not far away from easing back the shoulder work and upping the focus on the chest again.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Noice! :up:

Despite doing about a 1/2 hour run each day and eating greens/fruits and stuff I'm still lingering at around 106 :(

It's tiring too, I'm dripping in sweat when I'm finished and sleep very well each night because of it but yeah still can't bloody seem to shake this weight.

I'll just keep at it though, I guess it's an eventual process! One thing I have noticed (though it may just be from me tapping my feet at my desk) is that my calves are starting to tone a lot. I was quite surprised when I was whacking on some socks the other day, that the shape was pretty defined.

Ahwell I'll keep at it!
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Ben wrote: I was quite surprised when I was whacking on some socks the other day
Your mum was quite surprised as well, when she was doing the washing! :P

:roll:

I kid, I kid!

Started 7 a side soccer on Wednesday nights, and should be playing soccer a couple of times a week at work. Good way to keep some fitness during the soccer off season.
Jub-Jub
Annoying high-res logo
Annoying high-res logo

Post by Jub-Jub »

Ben wrote:Noice! :up:

Despite doing about a 1/2 hour run each day and eating greens/fruits and stuff I'm still lingering at around 106 :(

It's tiring too, I'm dripping in sweat when I'm finished and sleep very well each night because of it but yeah still can't bloody seem to shake this weight.

I'll just keep at it though, I guess it's an eventual process! One thing I have noticed (though it may just be from me tapping my feet at my desk) is that my calves are starting to tone a lot. I was quite surprised when I was whacking on some socks the other day, that the shape was pretty defined.

Ahwell I'll keep at it!
Do some light weights as well to tone up and make burning fat easier.
Jub-Jub has spoken.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

My time as a non-supplement user has ended. I've just taken my first teaspoon of creatine. Will be most interested in gauging any and all improvements that result from this.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
*LiNNYroX*

Post by *LiNNYroX* »

During footy season for me it's footy training Tues and Thurs nites (fucking full-on) then game on Sat. In between is heavy weights on Mon, Wed and Fri with Sunday to rest. Eat healthy (6 meals a day including snacks) with Sunday to have option of eating junk food.

Now that it's off season, been pretty much been getting hammered all the time. Starting to show in my gut. But getting back into fitness is piece of piss for me. Been starting to get back into tae Kwon Do with fitness runs in between these days. Any lard round my gut doesnt last for long!!!!!!!!!!!
www.iplcricketnews.com - #1 Site for all things IPL!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Candy Arse wrote:My time as a non-supplement user has ended. I've just taken my first teaspoon of creatine. Will be most interested in gauging any and all improvements that result from this.
OMFG is all I can say. Finished my five days of five teaspoons, now on to one-a-days for 30, and already I'm noticing differences. Holy shit.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Ooh forgot about this thread. Weight is starting to come off pretty easily now, I'm down to just on 101KG and with any luck I'll push it beneath 100 in the next week or so.
Had a bit of a blow-out on the long weekend though where I went back up a bit after drinking copious amounts of beer to celebrate my and a couple of others birthday, and had a double 1/4 pounder from maccas in the morning to 'help' recover but I was fine once I got back on the tready.

Think I'll go a bit harder to try and shake it off quicker and maybe double up with some running on my lunch break and riding when I get home.

I'm well pleased, but to be honest aside from having my calves tone up a bit since dropping from 120 I haven't really noticed any drastic changes.. but they must be happening as a couple of people have commented on me looking a bit thinner.

Hopefully I can get myself back down to the 80-90 range and then I should start to notice some real changes and can get down to a healthier weight.
Last edited by Ben on 05 Oct 2006 05:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Take a photo of yourself once a month. You'll notice differences fairly easily.

Also weight loss seems to start from the top and bottom and work its way in.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Candy Arse wrote:OMFG is all I can say. Finished my five days of five teaspoons, now on to one-a-days for 30, and already I'm noticing differences. Holy shit.
Heh. What are you noticing? For me it's a fuller pump and 'cleaner' sets overall. By 'clean' I mean you just feel strong throughout all three or four sets all the way to your joints. No niggles or twinges. Just nice, clean power right through.

After the 30 days will you have some time off before commencing another cycle?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Definitely a fuller pump, I feel like I'm about to explode out of my skin. For my sets, I'm noticing more explosive strength as well as more endurance. Many things just felt lighter than before. I'm extremely disciplined with my technique (very slow, almost negative movement followed by a power lift) and it just feels very satisfying. My chest right now feels like it's been hit repeatedly with a meat tenderiser.

Almost feels like cheating!

And yep cycle off after 30 days, no less than two weeks off.
Jub-Jub
Annoying high-res logo
Annoying high-res logo

Post by Jub-Jub »

Hey all

Im around 70kg and around 5'8.

I've been doing pretty well lately, I bought a card for 20 visits at the local gym and have been going around twice a week on average for the past 6 weeks or so (although varies between 1-3 visits a week depending on uni and work). Also been eating well (as always).

At the gym an average visit is around 15min on the treadmill to start with, then around 30 min on the weights machines, 5 minutes on the rowing machine, then around 10 min on the treadmill to finish. On the weights machines I only do fairly light weights of around 3-4 kilograms with lots of repetitions (50-60 on each machine). This is because I only want to tone up, not gain any bulk.

For those in the know, does this seem like a good approach? Or should I go heavier/lighter, and should I do more/less reps?

Also, any other tips or things I should be doing at the gym?

Cheers,

Justin.
Jub-Jub has spoken.
brent

Post by brent »

Tone is about body fat percentage, it really has nothing to do with lifting heavy or light as far as I am aware. To gain bulk, you need to lift and eat more calories than your body can burn. Without that you are not going to put on bulk...
Jub-Jub
Annoying high-res logo
Annoying high-res logo

Post by Jub-Jub »

I've been told countless times over the years, by numerous sources, including people on this board such as Candy Arse, that to tone up one should do light weights with lots of reps.
Jub-Jub has spoken.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Jub-Jub wrote:I only do fairly light weights of around 3-4 kilograms with lots of repetitions (50-60 on each machine). This is because I only want to tone up, not gain any bulk.
Yes lighter weights and more reps will tone more than build mass but those weights are far too light. A high-rep set is around 15-20 reps. Adjust your weights so you get 15-20 reps out before muscle failure.
Jub-Jub
Annoying high-res logo
Annoying high-res logo

Post by Jub-Jub »

Cheers.

And how may sets would you recommend per session? (for each machine)
Jub-Jub has spoken.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I'd say 3 sets if you're exercising multiple body parts + doing cardio in the one session. :)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I've been told countless times over the years, by numerous sources, including people on this board such as Candy Arse, that to tone up one should do light weights with lots of reps.
What? When did I say that?

You can't tone muscles. Everyone is genetically predisposed to certain muscle shape, all that changes is the size of them.

Doing the sort of reps you're doing is going to help with your muscle endurance and make you laugh at the thought of lactic acid. Though you can put on some size by doing those sorts of high reps, it's obviously not as quick a process as lifting heavy...which isn't what you'd want to do.

In my experience endurance training can probably help burn more calories per session than strength training as if you do it right you can get your heart rate pounding like a drum, but also in my experience nothing cuts fat like some strength training mixed with cardio and a great diet.

I'd have to ask though - why not put on some extra size? 5'8 and 70kg to me sounds pretty damn small. Like, if you fall over you may break in half small.

Post a pic.
Jub-Jub
Annoying high-res logo
Annoying high-res logo

Post by Jub-Jub »

5'8 is average height.... Actually I think I might be 5'11 I can't remember.

And im not small, I've got a solid torso naturally, broader shoulders and more natural muscle than most. Which is why I just want to tone.

You lanky tall bastards just think that everyone else is small. :down:
Jub-Jub has spoken.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I believe 5'10 is average male Aussie height. 5'8 for a bloke is fairly short.

If you're not even remotely interested in putting on any lean mass, fuck the weights off and just run/bike ride/swim etc and make sure you eat right.

But you'll look at your best if you're in good shape with some muscle and low bodyfat.
Jub-Jub
Annoying high-res logo
Annoying high-res logo

Post by Jub-Jub »

I've got the muscle (well enough for me anyway), so just want to tone up and burn the fat that covers some of it. I've got more muscle and a more solid build than most non-gym blokes.

I may try doing heavier weights though to gain a little bit of muscle though and tone up.

Thanks for your help.
Jub-Jub has spoken.
Jub-Jub
Annoying high-res logo
Annoying high-res logo

Post by Jub-Jub »

BTW I don't have a pic but I've got the same sort of build as someone like Scott Prince, also looking him up on NRL.com he's 5'8 the same as me.
Jub-Jub has spoken.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Scott Prince 81kg though. For 5'8, 70kg sounds about right.

I'm 5'10ish, i weigh 74kg. I look healthy. I'm a solid build. Not fat, with exception of a bit of a gut that is.

Although i know i'm far from healthy. Until it starts to show, i really have got the motivation to work out and get into shape. Muscle endurance for me is really bad.

Upper body... i can lift a fair amount, but only for short reps. My muscles tire quickly. Unless i'm lifting a lower weight... but when it's too light, it just feels like it's pointless as there's no struggle. I like to lift a weight that feels painful so it actually feels like i'm getting some sort of benefit.

Legs... well, the only part of me that's in good shape. I used to be able to lift all the weights on our old gym and do 25 to 30 reps no worries. I don't really do anything to keep them in shape. Although i used to skate all the time, ride my pushbike everyday after work, run around at school all day etc. and i guess they're the only part of my body since i started working that has managed to keep in shape or possibly improve. Also, i often end up walking home from the local pub/club as i stay out past the courtesy bus. A good 45min walk at 3am does a world of wonder for sobering up and the legs probably.

Middle.... the part that needs the work. Got a bit of a gut. Get bored too easily doing sit-ups or anything to try and tone my stomach. Mostly though, it feels like a waste of energy. I don't feel like doing them has any effect on my tone at all.

I'm not very disciplined at all. I want to get into shape... but atm, i am fairly happy with how i look and i really have no motivation to work out. I'm much happier to sit down and watch TV Shows i download off the net, or DVD's, or just hang out with mates. Hopefully i can take next year seriously and get into shape.

edit
Oh yeah, the other thing that is holding me back is the dieting part. I'm a very fussy eater and i have LOTS of cravings for KFC, Maccas etc. and i know that while i eat that shit, i'd be wasting my time working out. Or would i still be able to tone up and get into shape? Hell, it might help me put on extra muscle even. If so, i can use that excuse to keep the same diet :lol:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Mmm I'm back into the gym, still without a fucking spotter, my footy coach signed up and has come once in last 3 weeks (albiet he did go to Sydney for one of them) but yeah he's been off fishing hte last two days so I have been going without him. It's just very annoying when we want to put on lots of strength this summer but when doing chest you need someone to spot you to lift more. Oh well hopefully next week we'll finally properly get into chest but I have been going pretty hard on everything else. I feel stronger, Don't really have much definition for some reason my chest strength has been flatlined for ages hence mate coming with me and we are just going to do power weights. We have actually done one session so far and I did 8x60k 8x80k 4x100x2 and 2x110 but when I don't have a spotter I won't go past 80 or lift with confidence at 80 so hence the plateau.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!