Games Ranch health and fitness discussion

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: Games Ranch health and fitness discussion

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I think he's talking about people with an already substantial strength and fitness base ploughing increased focus and effort into achieving further incremental gains.
Madmya wrote:If there's no real tangible benefit I wonder why people devote so much time, money and effort for improvements that no one will notice/has no bearing on anything.
Madmya the drive to push further ahead is an extension of the motivation to get fit in the first place. Getting fit and crafting a decent physique is not easy. It takes years of hard, consistent training. If you've been training for years a few months of dieting or increased training is a natural progression and a fraction of the overall picture. You should definitely get a program written and get cracking. Train hard and once you feel the results you'll understand more. :up:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

There's also use it or lose it. The older you get the easier it is to lose muscle and hoard fat.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

See Pep for clarification on what I meant. Pep, I'd imagine your definition of a decent physique is a little different from mine. That's probably the crux of it - different standards.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Changed my diet and eating habits this July past. Found I was eating too much bread and milk and at odd times of the day. Basically cut down to 2 slices of multigrain bread a day and switched off to light soy milk (doctor friend does not rate full soy at all, anecdotal evidence to suggest links to some kinds of cancer :| ) Stopped eating beef, I haven't gone full vegetarian (I still eat the odd bit of ham, chicken, salmon and eggs), but eat a lot more vegetables - I've mastered an awesome curry recipe using Golden Curry and 6 kinds of vegetables, the spices makes up for the lack of meat. I've stopped eating after work (I usually finish at midnight) and just smash water all day long. I haven't been about to give up coffee and have two cups per day, usually all I need to make it through. One thing I no longer drink at all is soft drinks. I used to drink 2 cans of that Coke Zero a day for something cool but since coming but from Japan have gone off it.

Basically gone back to how I ate in Japan when I was living there. I was getting up around 106kgs earlier in the year which is quite uncomfortable for me. Got on the scales today and hit 99.5kgs. Started pushing heavy weights, don't know what I am doing but just exercising two parts of the body each session and going to failure. Got back into boxing and the heavy bag when not at home, a bit boring at times but feel wrecked afterwards. Kind of motivated to do it as my sister was diagnosed earlier in the year with a terminal disease and want to get fitness and take it to the limits of what I can do, something to aim for anyway. Plus, I want to do a few big hikes next year and need to get hiking fit.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Good read, Rorschach. Stay on that path and you'll see gains quickly.

The soy stuff pertains to it containing isoflavones which is like estrogen. Estrogen is linked to some cancers. Soy has too much other good stuff for it to be actually harmful in a balanced diet. As a vegetarian I've had plenty of soy protein in my diet over a long, long time. Consume with confidence.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Do you guys take maca at all?
-------------------------------------
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Maca is so good. It makes your dick hard as a rock.

Also noticed that guy Pep posted Frank Medrano takes it as often as I do.

http://youtu.be/X88VqEgMpsY?t=5m33s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(ok you can't embed a youtube link to a timestamp but that's the link that shows how he does it)

(talking about this guy)
(at the 5m33s mark he talks about his post workout shake, basically bananas and maca)

Go the maca.

Here are some research articles that explore some of the benefits.

Lepidium meyenii (Maca) improved semen parameters in adult men
http://www.maksfarma.com/Files/Maca/lepidium%20meyeni(maca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)improved%20semen%20parameters.pdf

Red maca (Lepidium meyenii) reduced prostate size in rats
http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pd ... 3-5.pdfYou" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lepidium meyenii (Maca) increases litter size in normal adult female
mice
http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pd ... 7-3-16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, here is a whole page of amazing results in a variety of trials revolving around the use of maca

http://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?q= ... _sdt=0%2C5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well worth investigating.

One of the most interesting aspects of Maca could be the fact that it alleviates altitude sickness, apparently by improving the VO2 max. Which would have obvious benefits for strength and endurance athletes.

A chocolate milk (or substitute) with maca also tastes -amazing-.

Heartily recommend this amazing root vegie.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Agreed. Maca rocks. I'm all over it. They've brought back the McOz too so I'm fucking ecstatic. [/benstillerhumour]
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

:up:
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Red meat causes cancer

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... -find.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Scientists at the University of California proved that mice which were genetically engineered so they did not produce Neu5Gc naturally developed tumours when they were fed the sugar.
"This is the first time we have directly shown that mimicking the exact situation in humans increases spontaneous cancers in mice,” said Dr Ajit Varki, Professor of Medicine and Cellular and Molecular Medicine at the University of California.
"The final proof in humans will be much harder to come by.
"This work may also help explain potential connections of red meat consumption to other diseases exacerbated by chronic inflammation, such as atherosclerosis and type 2 diabetes.
"Of course, moderate amounts of red meat can be a source of good nutrition for young people. We hope that our work will eventually lead the way to practical solutions for this catch-22."
Rule number 1 when citing studies as evidence to support a stance - read said evidence before shooting from the hip.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

http://www.jissn.com/content/11/1/54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You want to read a study worth your time, read this. Steady-state aerobic exercise fasted vs non-fasted, which is better for fat loss?
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Yeah personally I've always eaten before exercise because I feel like I can do more that way, you just flake out if you're fasted don't you?

According to this there's no difference?

The body must get out a calculator at the end of the day and be like, shit nigger, it fits your macros you're clean.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

(Sure, but as they explain it's an attempt to explain known inflammation which IS caused by meat consumption. Arteriosclerosis and diabetes. I mean, it's not looking good.

What was interesting about the study is that, they had to recreate the metabolic particulars of humans in mice by doing gene knockout. Turns out humans have a system that seems to suggest we're not supposed to eat meat in that all animals that do eat meat and don't get sick from it, have this thing called Neu5Gc. Is this not kind of a smoking gun that suggest we are supposed to be vegetarians? Like Gorillas?)
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

My new year's resolution for 2015 is simple... keep on the good work started 2 years ago and gradually increase the level of difficulty. Will endeavour to stay even more active with my gym work, and have no more soft drinks (especially you Coca Cola), and cut out the Big 3 (ie. Maccas, KFC & HJ) for the rest of this year.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

itch wrote:(Sure, but as they explain it's an attempt to explain known inflammation which IS caused by meat consumption. Arteriosclerosis and diabetes. I mean, it's not looking good.

What was interesting about the study is that, they had to recreate the metabolic particulars of humans in mice by doing gene knockout. Turns out humans have a system that seems to suggest we're not supposed to eat meat in that all animals that do eat meat and don't get sick from it, have this thing called Neu5Gc. Is this not kind of a smoking gun that suggest we are supposed to be vegetarians? Like Gorillas?)
Two things:

1) the fact that we're like, the only mammalian species to not produce this sugar probably indicates that it's a genetic mutation that's caught on, more than anything (like lactose tolerance). Unless you're religious and believe in god. In which case, just remember that god gave us permission to eat meat after the flood, so you'd think he would have ensured it wasn't bad for us to do so.

2) meat, when properly cooked and seasoned, is fucking delicious.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Peppermint Lounge
The End

From Richard Simmons' official page:

"It's 2015... Who's SWEATIN'' with me?!"

itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Yea boyee woop wooo
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Hey guys,
I know Supps aren't all that popular on here, but I've been out of the loop for a while. Just wondering if any of you know if there are any decent thermogenics on the market at the moment?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Vegetables.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

For the record I love supplements, but only ones that are proven to work and are worth your money. Thermogenics are somewhere between Isagenix and L-Carnitine.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Candy Arse wrote:Vegetables.
Sage advice. 4-6 small meals per day with high activity should be ample to keep the metabolism warm. The drugs used by these formulas to elevate body temperature couldn't be described as healthy either. DMAA (1-3 Dimethylamylamine) used to be in locally available formulas and is linked to a number of very adverse reactions.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Plus elevating body temperature as a way to burn off some fat is addressing a really small part of the big picture.

A dodgy thermogenic that may elevate your body temperature for a few hours vs a heavy weights session that elevates your entire metabolism for up to 3 days....then you combine that with good wholefood choices....
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

I only use

Vitargo
The curse (pre-workout)
Creatine
Vp2 protein
And a standard WPI from NBS

Never really ventured into all the other stuff as I've never thought it worth the money... Plus it's just a rabbit hole.. When do you stop?

I started my own 12 week challenge this week.. Got my dexascan and before photos done... My clients start theirs next week.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

I splashed out and bought all my own gear. Just waiting on a trap bar and some more plates.

Never have to step foot in another Futurebrah fucktard gym again...plus i can crank the fucken METAL :rock:

Anyone got any killer trap workout exercise ideas?