Games Ranch health and fitness discussion

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Blotto
Man Fairy
XBL ID: Blotto Otto
PSN ID: Blotts
Steam ID: Blotto_Otto

Post by Blotto »

4 - 5 days at the gym for a hour a day....

not on any sort of regime.... just treadmill, weight, rowing machine, cross trainer, more weights and then a 5 min ride on the exercise bike to cool down...

5 foot 11 and weight about 90kg..... (gotta get that down a bit)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

You'd make for a great smash mouth running back, blotts.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Im in the 190's cm an about 90 kg an i go to the gym once a year to renew my membership lol.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Timbo wrote:
Madmya wrote:So I got in a massive argument tonight at the taxi rank (sp). There was about a bunch of 5 people (mainly girls) smoking in front of me in the line. I started singing 'nobody smokes here anymore' as a joke, qld'ers would be the only ones who get this. And then one of the chicks blows smoke in my face. This starts a MASSIVE argument between them and me about how it's bullshit that I have to put up with someones death smoke like that, and my best mate has a go at me for going over the top. Maybe it was over the top, but the bitch blew it in my face and I don't have to fucking stand for that shit.

Then the dickhead tried to justify that it was outdoors, and doctors wouldn't care about it. No fucking way a doctor wouldn't give a shit about passive smoking. I just felt like my rights were violated and I had a right to stand up for myself. But everyone made me feel like I was out of line, including my best mates. I don'tknow what to think. Fuck I'm pissed at my mates.
While I'm also pretty anti-smoking, I'm guessing she was hot. That would explain your mates' behaviour, no?
The girl I was arguing with was pretty hot, you're right. And he'd do that too. Sherlock Timbo. :up:
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Blotto
Man Fairy
XBL ID: Blotto Otto
PSN ID: Blotts
Steam ID: Blotto_Otto

Post by Blotto »

Candy Arse wrote:You'd make for a great smash mouth running back, blotts.
I'll be attempting to 'walk on' at Georgia Tech when im over there... :P

:lol:
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Had an awesome chest workout last night. I'm right into cables at the moment. My trainer's gym has a couple of cable options so last night after bench press I did some incline cable flies, bent over cable cross-over and some standing cable scoops. I feel nicely fatigued today - for me that muscle soreness feeling is like a warm blanket. :up:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

My body is in ruins. Sunday for example, excessively hungover from the night before and rushed to the Broncos game without any food. I wasn't going to pay ridiculous stadium prices for food so I scabbed a couple of chips off my mate then had beer to fill the void. Turns out that was the only thing I ate that day. Those 4 or 5 chips and lots of beer. At about 4.30am though after the binge drinking I had 3 x bacon and egg mcmuffin meals. I farted and my friend dry-reached, muahahahahah!
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Had an awesome chest workout last night. I'm right into cables at the moment. My trainer's gym has a couple of cable options so last night after bench press I did some incline cable flies, bent over cable cross-over and some standing cable scoops. I feel nicely fatigued today - for me that muscle soreness feeling is like a warm blanket. :up:
Cables rock. My shoulders are still sore from Monday's brutality at the hands of cables. :up:
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

lestat wrote:considering others are putting down their stats. I'm 186cm 98kg, down from 114kg..
Im the same height and this time last year I was 98kgs as well Lestat. Then I went on the 'Jared Subway Diet' and worked out 5 days a week. I lost 10kg's in no time, but sadly, since Ive been here in the UK I lost another 10 by pure starvation so now Im around 78 (last time I weighed myself). Ive been trying to eat regularly 3 times a day again but my work schedule and cost of living doesnt make it easy.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I've taken my first baby steps towards moonlighting as a PT. A good mate of mine has requested that I take him under my wing as he returns to the gym for the first time in a long time and aims to get into some good shape.

Not having any actual formal training I fully realise the dangers behind such a venture, but I figure that I don't consider myself some sort of overarching fitness guru, but my mate sees the success I've had and reckons that a similar approach could work for him. I'm fine with that as a common sense approach should see me through as I do have a lot of personal experience to draw on, but I'm not afraid to yield to superior knowledge if/when a question comes my way that I can't answer. Afterall I've still got a lot to learn as well, scientifically.

Mate's stats - 5'11 (and a half if you ask him), clocked in at 99KG the other night. I can see that he's been given a bit of genetic size, but he does have a high bodyfat percentage that needs to be cut down, and he also needs to bulk up a lot upstairs. Right now he's sporting the pear shape, what we need is the V taper.

I've brought him along to train with me on one night, and tonight I went along to supervise him as I already trained this afternoon. So far what I've been doing seems to be working as he's not feeling any immediate pains during/just after the workouts, but rather the next-day/day after muscle soreness that you want to feel when you've damaged them appropriately.

That's probably the most important thing for me so far as I learned the hard way when I first started out, overtrained deluxe and was in regular agony. So I've been showing him various exercises for the muscles, doing compound and isolation to demonstrate the differences and also doing my best to explain what it should hope to achieve.

I've also made a point to avoid machines (Smith Machine notwithstanding since it's fairly useful for things such as decline bench press) and stick to free and cables where possible. My belief is that by starting out with the harder movements (though definitely keeping the weights light) he can learn proper form and technique straight away. I suppose there is a place for machines for absolute n00bs, but IMO you're better off starting without them since you'll inevitably go beyond machines anyway.

I've noticed so far that he's having some similar issues that I did early on, mainly with regards to associated muscles failing well before the target areas - triceps on bench press, forearms on lateral pulldowns etc. I've made a point to show him some good tricep routines (bar pulldown, rope pulldown, rope pullover) and once he gets stronger we'll move on to some simple dips and dumbell pullovers.

For the forearms I don't think he needs to worry about doing anything specific as he's not training for a contest on the Gold Coast over summer, so hammer curls are a great place to start as it kills two birds with one stone - bicep and forearm workout. I picked up the hammers a while ago and it helped a hell of a lot with forearm strength.

I'm loathe to push him too much on the various bench presses as getting his chest to really respond will involve destroying the posterior deltoids and triceps. So teaching good form will do, and I'm going to show him the various cable crossover methods next time as cables are superb isolation and won't poleaxe the triceps.

IMO with the right fat loss and muscle gain he can get down to a lean 'mean 90KG and look like a powerhouse. Absolutely possible, but his biggest problem that he also admits to is the diet. His woman has a habit of baking champion cake, and he still subjects himself to his fair share of fast food and also occasionally skips brekky. WTF!

I'm far from a nutritional expert, I don't and never have counted calory intake, measured protein and fat consumption, rather I've always adopted a simple approach - if it's of no nutritional beneit, don't consume it. This is what I'm telling him as well - just eat smart. Rather than snack on chips or cake or maccas, have some unsalted peanuts or low-fat yogurt, or treat himself to a nice punnet of strawberries or a salad sandwich.

I'm trying to drive home the fact that if he wants to really cut up nicely, the diet has to be working. It's amazing how many people underestimate what a well balanced diet will do for you if you're looking to get into shape. A lot of people just think they can exercise and then eat shit and get by....and I guess they can, but you can easily tell if a person's diet is right. Six-packs don't come from five-million crunches.

So...uh.....that's about it. I'm entering the GameHED realm of ludicrous-sized posts. But if anyone (hi Pep) has any tips or advice to pass along, please feel free.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Well Candy based on your post above you're already 10x smarter and more effective than 90% of people running around Melbourne with business cards that say 'personal trainer'. Regarding your mate you're in a good position to offer constructive advice based on your experience but also because you know him. It would be far more daunting to offer good advice to someone you don't know which is what makes a good PT, being able to guage someone's fitness, capabilities and immediate goals in a couple of meetings.

All your advice above is spot on. Certainly diet is massive and if you identify him lacking in anything such as skipping breakfast set him on the right path however if I was training him I wouldn't go nuts on the dieting too immediately. He can still enjoy his woman's culinary treats early on if he prefers. The objective now is to build a strength-base from which he'll see and feel the results prompting him to hopefully start down that path himself. That's the time to sit down and plan a diet regime. In my experience I've just found a gradual approach is more contstuctive in the long term. But then you mention he's returning to the gym after a long recess so if he's familiar with training and adhering to a diet then he might be up for all of it now. Again you know him mate so you have the advantage of being able to speak frankly with him about it.

You're absolutely right regarding areas such as forearms. No need to isolate. Hit all the angles with various arm movements and they'll sort themselves out.

Machines vs free weights? Comes down to an individuals goals. If he wants to be like Candy then yeah get him started on the free-weight movements early. Machines have their place for people happy to go through their 40 min circut three times a week.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Wow, this thread has made me feel so guilty for not going to the gym for two weeks.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Well, reading what Candy wrote i guess i should start eating breakfast :P

And probably get rid of Maccas, KFC, Pizza Hut etc. from my diet. LOL.

I'm probably lucky not to be overweight by now. Since i finished High School in 2003, i haven't done much physical excercise... atleast nothing regular LOL. I eat that much fatty food and chocolates are becoming a bit more common in my diet also.

Don't eat much fruit, nearly eat no vegetables at all. LOL. I do intend on fixing my diet though. As i know it's hurting any chance i have at getting into shape. When i fix that, i'm going to start doing lots of cardio work. Get rid of all as much body fat as possible. Not too bothered about bulking up. I'm solid enough as it is... i don't want to be a tank or anything. Just get my nice slim/solid (no fat) build from 2 or 3 years ago. LOL. It's amazing what playing footy every day at school and on weekends could do, ontop of eating far less junk food. Also, SLR at school often had us doing laps and shit of the footy fields.
brent

Post by brent »

Definately not a good idea to pound all the diet stuff onto him early on unless he has made the decision that he wants to go about it, at this point its really all about setting the base and getting into good habits.

Maybe perhaps, without radically changing his diet, see if he can eat smaller meals more often instead of a few big meals a day. Educate him with a few foods he could replace in his current diet and what he can replace them with. There are heaps of good foods you can eat, so its really down to personal preference, something you can work out with him. The key to long term diet changes is always finding something that your comfortable with eating. Definately no need to cut out everything and go strict to begin with, his body will respond now because of the new training regime anyway.

I've done some pretty extensive nutritional research and a long period of calorie counting ect so if you want more indepth answers just ask, more than willing to help out.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Solid advice, thanks boys. I am drilling the diet part into him for two reasons -

1. He wants to drop bodyfat and he wants to drop it fast. And quite frankly he does have a bit to drop.

2. He's seen what my diet has done/is doing for me and has taken some inspiration from it. I'm an extremely hard marker of myself and even I'm taken aback at how quickly I'm carving out thanks to my diet adjustments.

However I'm not instructing him to follow my diet (though he has asked me a few times if I'd be interested in doing up an eating plan for him). What I've told him is that he just needs to start by taking a common sense approach - cut back the fast food, cut back the coke, try to swap fatty, salty, sugary snacks for whatever his favourite fruits happen to be etc. Don't eat less, eat smarter.

I've also encouraged him to take a cheat day (Tim would rail me if he knew I was advocating such a thing after being a nazi about it on 4BG) to keep his sanity up.

But for example the other day he skipped brekky when he got up, rather he stopped in at Maccas on the way to work and loaded up on hash browns and mcmuffins.

I suggested that maybe he could also look at cutting out the full-cream milk for a low-fat alternative, and he shot me down pretty hard. "No fucken way am I having that shit".

I've also suggested that when he goes to work, he takes the time out in the morning to prepare his own meals for the day, rather than relying on the local food court.

With his goals, like everyone he wants to look his best, but he's got an ego that's bigger than me and I know he wants to impress his lady with some hard buffness, as well as show up our mates as he's very competitive. I'm showing him the machine weights, but I know he'll be better off in the long run with frees. If he was something closer to 50 and not 24 I'd more than likely take a different approach.

Brent - have you done any formal training or just personal research?
brent

Post by brent »

No formal trainging, just a lot of personal research and attempted different methods. Its something I've always wanted to actually study but find it difficult to convince myself to give up the job and training I currently do to find head towards the uncertanty of a new career path.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Fark me...

http://www.bsnonline.net/new/products/p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 4266009367

This stuff is amazing. I've never used a supplement that has such an immediate, profoud effect. It feels illegal ffs. I take as directed 30-45 mins before training. I'm driving to gym and I feel like I'm on drugs. Good drugs. $95 rrp for 820g but seriously I've received less buzz from shit that costs $95 per gram! Actual training is strong and clean with excellent recovery and an amazing pump. Granted I'm training well at the moment but still 200kg hack squats and 45 deg leg press never felt so easy. Best solo leg workout I've ever had. Will be interesting to see how it fares later in the cycle.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Maybe it's easier to do the leg crunches because your testes have retracted/shrunken as a result of the new wonderdrug :D

Seriously though, I've started going back to gym 3 times a week before university. I sleep so much better the days i've gone to gym.

Another healthy note, I just ate the best pizza of all time. :up:
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

Fuck, I must be the most unhealthy cowboy on the Ranch!
I have plenty of home cooked meals lots of meat, veges, pasta. Need to hit the fruit more though and I gotta start making home lunches rather than subway and the deli round the corner from work...

jahooley + exercise = not happening at the moment. I finally have rounded a few lads for social basketball :up: i'll be starting that soon.

I used to take breakdancing lessons. That shit is the most physically demanding exercise the human body can endure. Every move translates to a certain workout, I highly recommend it. - I don't know why I stopped?

oh yea, and I gotta stop smoking.

Reading all this has got me thinking though. I'm really inspired to get active now, cheers guys :up: I may not have the $$$ to goto a gym at the moment, but there's plenty of other things I can apply myself to, hopefully
brent

Post by brent »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:This stuff is amazing. I've never used a supplement that has such an immediate, profoud effect. It feels illegal ffs. I take as directed 30-45 mins before training. I'm driving to gym and I feel like I'm on drugs. Good drugs. $95 rrp for 820g but seriously I've received less buzz from shit that costs $95 per gram! Actual training is strong and clean with excellent recovery and an amazing pump. Granted I'm training well at the moment but still 200kg hack squats and 45 deg leg press never felt so easy. Best solo leg workout I've ever had. Will be interesting to see how it fares later in the cycle.
Let us know how you go over the whole cycle, would be interested in giving it a go, but have heard mixed reviews of the stuff.

How many grams per serving?
mxlegend99
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

jahooley wrote:Fuck, I must be the most unhealthy cowboy on the Ranch!
I have plenty of home cooked meals lots of meat, veges, pasta. Need to hit the fruit more though and I gotta start making home lunches rather than subway and the deli round the corner from work...
I wouldn't feel too bad. I eat very little past or veges, i grab Maccas from around the corner at work... if not Pizza Hut or KFC.
jahooley wrote:jahooley + exercise = not happening at the moment. I finally have rounded a few lads for social basketball :up: i'll be starting that soon.
I'm in the same boat. Don't do any excercise at all. I got a new GF currently and i was going to start excercising before. But i am seeing her everyday, so i guess excercise has to wait till that gets boring. Although it seems i'm always finding some new excuse not to start working out and/or eat healthy.

When i put on noticeable weight, i guess i'll make it a higher priority.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

brent wrote:Let us know how you go over the whole cycle, would be interested in giving it a go, but have heard mixed reviews of the stuff.

How many grams per serving?
20g per scoop and it directs you to begin with 1 scoop per serve to assess tolerance. Once assessed it directs 1-3 scoops per serve 30-45 mins pre workout. I had a couple of scoops tonight.

Really the buzz I get is likely due to the caffeine contined in the forumulation among other things. I don't drink coffee, coke/pepsi or use caffeine supplements so my tolerance would be low.

Will keep you posted.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'm keen to try some sort of supplement just to see what difference it makes. Never used any before so I'll be able to spot any improvements.

Weighed in tonight at 111.5 btw
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

mxlegend99 wrote:I'm in the same boat. Don't do any excercise at all. I got a new GF currently and i was going to start excercising before. But i am seeing her everyday, so i guess excercise has to wait till that gets boring. Although it seems i'm always finding some new excuse not to start working out and/or eat healthy.

When i put on noticeable weight, i guess i'll make it a higher priority.
haha, i feel a little bit better then. I don't touch macca's or HJ's - KFC... occasionally.

I'm 6 months with my girl in September. I guess I could say I was gonna do something about my fitness as soon as she says something to me :lol: