Games Ranch health and fitness discussion

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Arthas

Post by Arthas »

I really need to get back into training hardcore again. I haven't lost any size but my strength just isn't quite the same. Wouldn't take me long to get back to where I was but I want to push it much further this time. After 3 years I feel I have a good basis to build from but it's alot more tough now to make gains.

Recommend me some legal stuff to take. Apart from one cycle of creatine awhile ago and the odd tin of protein shakes I haven't really seriously included them into my routine.

Steroids have crossed my mind. I've developed a medical condition which steroids would help with... no bullshit. Even so, I'm still very very hesitant and wouldn't know where to begin. I'd like to see if I can combat my condition the natural/legal way.

I live in Brisbane, recommendations on places to buy stuff would be great.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

jahooley wrote:Fuck, I must be the most unhealthy cowboy on the Ranch!

I see your claim and raise you.

It's a wonder that I'm not grossly overweight and it's some kind of miracle that I can still breathe unaided.I haven't excersised by choice in fuck knows how long and the fact is,I honestly don't know how to spell the word.

I'd be willing to bet money that I'm the first Cowboy on the ranch to die of an avoidable health issue.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

ahhh see I have a heart condition and am living a lifestyle that someone like me shouldn't be doing. My doctor suggested I should take up walking. Fuck that, I'll be away from my precious toys!
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

G'day fellas, I was wondering if any of you could help me out a bit. I'm somewhat overweight and I want to drop some kgs and probably build a bit more muscle.. I was around 120kg a couple of months ago but I decided that I needed to get in shape as I obviously wasn't fit.

I started riding on an exercise bike daily, and I'd try to do around 10kms or ride for about a half hour each day and did a little weight lifting and sit-ups, and I started eating a bit more sensibly. This started working and i dropped down to about 110 after a while and then just started slowing going down after that.

I admit that I got abit lazy after this though, and whilst my weight hasn't gone back up, (I've stayed around the 108 mark) I still want to get rid of some more weight. I indulged every so often in take out food when I went out to the flicks, and I might have a can of soda and a chocolate biscuit every day, but since I've decided I want to get in gear a bit more I've cut all that out, and I'm trying to push for around 20ks or an hour each day on the exercise bike, and it's slowly working but not as drastically as it was before. I've dropped down to around 105/106 now but ideally I want to get sub 100 at least, and ultimately I want to drop down to the 80/90 range as I'm only about 188 tall.

What sort of things should I be eating? Lots of fruit and veg? Should I continue with the exercise bike riding? Or should I ease up on that and include more dumbell weight lifting and sit-ups?
Another thing I've started recently is I bought a unicycle, and whilst I was doing that I stopped the exercise bike, as the learning period on that was a lot more strenuous than anything I could do on the bike lol, but now I'm doing them in tandem, riding on my unicycle in my lunch break at work and exercising on the bike at home.

But yeah, any thoughts would be muchos appreciated as I want to slim down a lot. i would like to build muscles a little aswell, but first I'd just love to drop some weight.
brent

Post by brent »

Lots of veggies and lean meats would be the way to go. Do you eat lots of bread? Try switching it up to wholemeal grain bread. Smaller meals throughout the day rather than 2-3 large meals is also very beneficial, and will stop you snacking on biscuits ect throughout the day.

If you can chuck some weights into your fitness routine it will help crank your metabolic rate and give you the results you are after.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Heh, can't offer much unicycle experience there Ben but I'm sure it's a good stabiliser workout. :D

Weight loss requires cardio. Boring as hell so get yourself some quality tunes and ideally allocate at least an hour 4 days per week. More if possible. Good, low impact cardio comprises bike, cross trainer, rowing. If you can run comfortably then by all means hit the street or tready. If you have a gym membership get someone qualified (be it personal trainer or sus out who can write you a good programme) and craft a quality weight training circuit. It's imperative you maintain your heart rate throughout so the objective is high reps with 1-2 minute rests between sets. No need to load up the weights just yet. Heavy enough for three or four 10-15 rep sets that start to burn between reps 10-15.

Again the key to any cardio/weight loss programme is to maintain an upper limit heart-rate througout the entire workout. Carefully early on with incremental increases as you become more advanced.

Once you've achieved your weight loss goal you'll have a good base from which to build some quality muscularture. With your metabolism increased due to your previous cardio work you'll be able to scale that back a bit and incorporate some body-building exercises into your programme.

Regarding diet no need to go too crazy. Just ensure you're getting sufficient protein (while training ideally aim for two to three grams of protein per kilo of body weight) and sustained release carbs eg: replace white bread with multigrain. You can eat as much as you like at meal times but keep in-between meal snacks healthy. No choc or fizzy drinks. I'd recommend a quality slow-release multi-vitamin and perhaps a protein powder to ensure you're getting sufficient protein while training. If your diet is lacking during training you're an injury waiting to happen.

Go forth and train!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

go natural you cheats!
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Thanks for the help guys, I do eat a bit of bread, but that is something I'm very aware that I need to cut out on (well whitebread) and I've been trying to cut back on eating that as much as I did. I tended to just chuck together a sandwich for some meals as it was the easiest thing to do.

Running is something I've been meaning to get into, as it seems like it would be a bit more whole body involving than riding. You're right about it getting boring though lol, sometimes even when watching TV it's hard to push myself to slog along for 30/60 minutes on the bike without wanting to do something else, but I guess I've just got to be prepared to put in if I want to get the results!

I appreciate the comments though! I think I'll try to include a bit more fruit and veg and protein in my diet and add in some running and boost the number of reps for weights and see how I go from there. I'll let ya's know how I progress!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I think it depends on how serious you are. If you really want to get into some prime shape you'll have to make some considerable lifestyle and diet changes. If you want the beach body, a modicum of common sense plus regular exercise will see you through.

I don't have much to add here that hasn't already been said, other than don't be afraid to rest after lifting weights as it is critical, and eat smart - not less.

Weighed in tonight at 113. Yes I've put on weight, but fortunately the right kind of weight. Beef, not pork!
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

GreyWizzard wrote:ahhh see I have a heart condition and am living a lifestyle that someone like me shouldn't be doing. My doctor suggested I should take up walking. Fuck that, I'll be away from my precious toys!
Got portable consoles? If not, walk down the road and get one! :D
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Ok experts, question time. I am 180cm, and for years I weighed 85-90kg, when I played serious Basketball. After working as a McDonalds manager for 5 years the combination of shiftwork, no excercise and free food saw me nudge 130kg. Since leaving Maccas I have been eating much better and at better times (no massive meals at 2am and then going to sleep), started playing ball again, been walking much more and also have been doing, um... 4 hour cardio workouts with party supplements (dancing my ass off on 'stuff') more often. I am also avoiding the binge bad food eating that often follows the intake of party supplements, eating vegies and fruit on the comedown instead. My weight has returned to under the 100kg mark again (96kg) , I have dropped 4 sizes in pants, and I feel SO MUCH better about my appearance. Now my question is, does a cardio workout on a stationary bike have the same benefits as running? I hate running, it is boring. And as I tell people, I only need to be able to run 96 feet, and then I turn around and play defense. But I have decided to do some more cardio work, so the bike is looking the go. Also, degenerative Arthritis and unrepaired ligament damage means that running can make my knees ache like hell (I'm already on Glucosamine, GOOD SHIT) so I am looking for a way to raise heart rate enough to get areobic benefit without killing my knees. Does 40 min on a ergo bike burn as much fat as 40 min running? I want to return to around the 90kg mark.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
brent

Post by brent »

I guess it would depend on your intensity on the bike. Obviously the lack of knee pain will allow you to go abit harder than you normally would running because of the discomfort. While running generally is better, there is no reason you can't achieve your goals while on the bike.

Finding something you can enjoy and stick with is going to far outweigh the minimal benefits of running as opposed to riding if you work hard.

edit - congrats on the changes you've made so far dude, it takes alot of dedication to do what you've done so far. :up:
Texas

Post by Texas »

Yeah thanks Brent, the main thing I changed was diet. lowering/cutting intake of certain foods and changing lifestyle was the biggest reason I dropped so much weight.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Try swimming. It doesn't stress the joints, is a whole body workout and gets you fit.
Texas

Post by Texas »

I would Madmya, but I hate swimming with a passion.
Gr8ness

Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

running too!
Texas

Post by Texas »

No, running just bores me to shits....
Gr8ness

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The most effective cardio work you can do imo is the cross-country skiing motion. This is achieved via a cross-training machine. Those things are calory crunchers!

Also you'll find that virtually all forms of cardio is boring as batshit, but it's a necessary evil. I can think of many more enjoyable things to do than a hard cardio session, but it's worth it for the results. Just like the weights and the strict diet.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

exxxxxxactly.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Nah... I quite enjoy bike riding, and stationary bikes allow me to read/watch tv while exercising. Will eventually get a mountain/road bike as well. However, running/treadmills just BORES me. Running always has. Even with music or companions
Gr8ness

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I think you'll benefit from getting out of the lazy cycle you're in there. Sooner or later your body will be very much used to bike riding. It pays to challenge yourself. Rowing is good.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Yeah, joining the uni gym, they have rowers/ergo bikes/stairmaster/skiers... Just gotta watch the knees.
Gr8ness

AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Fuck more, its a great all over body workout. Great for cardiovascular and even works your core muscles. For greater coverage, ensure you try some really wild positions, they are great and you will have fun. Even bring an exercise ball to the fun, trust me, girls love'em!!!

:up:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Texas wrote:Yeah, joining the uni gym, they have rowers/ergo bikes/stairmaster/skiers... Just gotta watch the knees.
Hill walking on a treadmill will do wonders for you in this case.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Candy Arse wrote: Hill walking on a treadmill will do wonders for you in this case.
Heh... had a suspected heart condition a few years ago, and as it runs in the family I had to go to the RHH and do a cardio test. I had to walk on a treadmill that spen up and inclined in intervals, like the beep test. They stopped me after the damn thing wouldnt incline any steeper... highest score they had. Was when I was in Development Squads for Ball, tho, and did 13-14 for the beep test...
And my heart was fine.
Gr8ness