GET EXCITED - World Cup 2018, now with even more corruption!

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Jub-Jub
Annoying high-res logo
Annoying high-res logo

Post by Jub-Jub »

OK lads I need some help.

Im trying to decide which Premier League team to go for. Below are the current factors influencing my decision.

Geographically speaking, I associate with the city of Canterbury in England as my sister lives there and my girlfriend's family is from there. However, as far as I know there is no Canterbury team in the league, and the closest teams geogrpahically are probably the London teams (correct me if im wrong). I assume that most people in Cantebury would probably go for a London team as London isn't that far away. So a London team could be the go.

Traditionally I have always liked Arsenal simply because they were sponsored by Dreamcast, I remember around 2000 seeing all these people with Dreamcast written on their shirts and wondered why and it was not until later that I realised that they were Arsenal jersetys. However, I understand that Atrsenal is one of the 'rich' four teams, and personally I don't like going for such teams in any sporting league. I also am put off by the psycho kid in About a Boy who had an Arsenal jersey on his wall.

Newcastle United is also a possiblilty as my girlfriend's grandparents support them. However, I don't like my girlfriend's grandparents, which puts me off.

Liverpool and Middlesbrough are also possiblities due to the Viduka and Kewell factors.

Tottenham Hotspur sounds kinda funky so that is also one for consideration.

Above I have wrritten everything I know about the Premier League teams - i.e. nothing at all.

So please help me decided what team to go for, either one of the above or suggesting another one, and please give reasons.

Cheers,

Jub-Jub.
Jub-Jub has spoken.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Jub-Jub my good friend, have I told you lately how highly I regard you?

There's a lot of things to consider when deciding which club to support. Firstly, I agree with your sentiments about not wanting to support any of the big rich teams. Straight away that rules, Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chel$ea out of the equation. Of the remaining teams it would be wise to not choose to support any that are possible/likely to drop down to the Championship.

Aston Villa - Could go down in the next few years if the trends continue.
Fulham - Also a chance of dropping in the next few years.
Reading - Just came up.. could go straight back down
Sheff Utd - See above
Watford - See above
Wigan - Good season after promotion last year. Can they do it again?

So this leaves you with the following teams:

Blackburn - A likeable team including two Australians, Brett Emerton and Lucas Neill. They've been quite solid performers of late, though they just lost one of their star players from last season in Craig Bellamy. They finished in the top 6 last season, a feat which does not look that likely to be repeated this year.

Bolton - A well disciplined team, noted for playing ugly football that wins them matches. They have a good manager, and a solid playing roster, although they have let some of their older players go, so this should be an interesting season.

Charlton - Just resigned break out forward Darren Bent, who had an awesome season last year, being the leading English Goal Scorer. Other than him their form was quite patchy. They usually start the season well before coming back down to ground and finishing in the bottom half.

Everton - The more likebale of the two Merseyside teams (Liverpool being the other). Their line-up features like-able but niggly Australian Tim Cahill. They spent up big in the off-season recruiting goal scoring English forward Andy Johnson (from Crystal Palace), and strengthened their aging back line with the signing of Wolves back Joleon Lescott. They have a very good first team, but don't have the depth to cover a lot of injuries. If they remain relatively injury free they could challenge for a top 6 spot.

Man City - Have been one of those 'also ran' clubs for the past few years. Lacking clinical goal scoring, they have a well rounded squad that if in form could surprise a few people.

M'brough - This north east club are in for an intersting year with last years Captain Gareth Southgate bypassing LMA rules to become the clubs manager. They've always had depth in the striking position, but this year they finally let prolific goal scorer Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink leave the club. They have two Aussies in Mark Viduka, and goal keeper Mark Schwarzer. Their defense is questionable at times, and with the departure of Southgate from the playing ranks it could get worse before it gets better. They struggle to get good attendance at their home matches, despite having a relatively small stadium.

Newcastle* - Finished last season on a high, climbing the ladder to eventually finish the season in 7th place - a position that could see them qualify for European football. They sacked their manager Graham Souness in the second half of last season, and his replacement Glen Roeder, was temporarily given the reigns. After the superb finish to the season Roeder was offered the Management position on a permanent basis. They have already lost star forward Michael Owen for a large part of the season, and as yet have not been active on the transfer market. They have a strong midfield, and an improving backline, playing in front of one of the premierships form goal keepers in Shay Given. If they recruit wisely they should be a top 6 premiership side, if not they could be in for a rocky season, especially if their injury problems continue. At home they play in front of a packed 50,000 plus stadium.

Portsmouth - Have recently had an influx of funding (dirty Russian money!) they surprised many when they avoided relegation last season after looking certainties to drop down. Will be active in the transfer market, and will have quite a strong playing roster. Without consistency they won't finish at the top of the table, but they should be able to finish inside or just outside the top ten, and could build on that in years to come.

Tottenham - Have been recruiting very well for the last few years and as a result they have a very dangeroud squad that by rights should finish in the top 6. They have an excellent goal keeper in England's number one Paul Robinson (you may have seen him on Neighbours), and the quality continues through the rest of the squad, with Ledley King an excellent defender. Their midfield contains three english players, Michael Carrick, Aaron Lennon and the inconsistent Jermaine Jenas. Add to that former Dutch international Edgar Davids, and the in-form Ivory Coast player Didier Zokora and their midfield in undeniably one of the best in the league. Have a strikeforce that can consistently score goals, just what is required in front of a strong midfield.

In my opinion you should support one of these teams: Tottenham, Newcastle, Everton or Blackburn.

* - I support Newcastle United.

Oh also, here's my 'almost automated' response from ESPN:
ESPN International Networks - intl.networks@espn.com wrote: Thank you for writing.

We have shared your comments with our production operations team for them to investigate the problem you've alerted us to below. We also suggest that you contact Foxtel directly to set them in motion for investigating as well.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

WTF Everton 'is the more likeable' Merseyside team? Fucking Toffees! They are a bunch of pretentious (sic) twats! Liverpool are the working mans team! And we also happen to be one of the most successful teams in the FA. (6xFA Cup, 5x Eurpoean Champion, 17xLeague Winner) The Australian connection at LFC runs deep, with Craig Johnston playing there in the 80's (and scoring in an FA Cup final, which is the reason I support LFC, the first game I watched was this FA Cup Final and I liked the team with the Australian) and now Harry Cool.
'Walk on, Waaallllk ooonnnn...."
Jub Jub, you know you want to follow Liverpool. You know you do.

Seriously, you don't have to support a Premiership team. My best mate has been a Milwall supporter for years, and I have other mates who also support Palace, West Brom, and Norwich. Or there is always the Scottish Premire League (Go the Hibs! and F**k the Jambo C**ts!) to choose from. The best thing about Football is even if your team of choice is not in the top flight there is plenty of coverage.

You support Balmain, right? Have you tried to find a team with similar/same colours/logo? Another option...
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

The Wolves have similar colours, if he wants to go down that avenue.. home of Carl Cort, ex-Newcastle striker.

Re: Everton, that's in my opinion. Though the Reds are less likeable simply because they have so much more money to work with. Liverpool's success in the current era is a natural progression from their financial position, where-as Everton, although not poor, don't have the same amount of money to fall back on in the tough times.

Don't get me wrong, supporting Liverpool would be a pretty good thing to do as a supporter, as there appears to be a lot of good results ahead for them. If you want to get a bit of pain and suffering in with the good times, you're better off going for some of the other teams that struggle at times. So maybe it's not right to discount the teams that have just jumped up to the top flight... a team like Watford might be a good one to support.

In terms of coverage there is quite a lot of coverage of lower leagues available on the internet, but in terms of seeing actual footage you'll be hard pressed to get anything, other than FA Cup matches that they may happen to feature in. You can't really get a good feel for the team, that you're supporting if you don't get to see any video footage of them playing.

Jubbers, come over to the dark side and support Newcastle. There's a special deal at the moment where every new Newcastle fan receives a complimentary DVD Rip (on 2 CDs) of the smash hit DVD title "Newcastle United - Big Hits" allowing you to relive (or in your case just live) 12 of Newcastle's best matches over the last 10 years, including the memorable 5-0 win against Manchester United, and the night they defeated Barcelona in the champions league. What better way to get an understanding of your new team?

:wink:
Last edited by DjBigK on 20 Jul 2006 01:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Newcastle wear Black and White, which makes them Evil in my eyes. Evil I tell you. Just like Collingwood.
:) Makes it all better, and can I have some of theat pirate Newky DVD action? heh
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Yeah but Newcastle United have been around since 1892, where-as Collingwood have only been around since 1892.

:twisted: Scary? :twisted:

Besides, the balck and white carries with it a high pedigree, just look at Juventus. On second though, lets not look at Juventus. Look at Western Suburbs. Hmm, perhaps not there either (although they formed part of the Wests Tigers and therefore you should support Newcastle).
Texas

Post by Texas »

Let it be noted that you drew comparisons with Juve, I did not want to bring the 'Great Satan' (no not Eddie McGuire) into this...

Were you a Balmain or a Wests Supporter, Jub-Jub?
Gr8ness

DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

It appears he is a Balmain Supporter if his avatar is anything to go off. At this stage, I would just like to pass comment about the fantastic contribution that Paul Sironen made to not only the footballing world, but also the doughnut/donut, and Hungry Jacks worlds. Not to mention back-door Benny, a cult unto his own. Remember the great Gary Jack? He tried to sell me a house a few years ago. Timmy Brasher? Pure class at the back. Ellory Hanley, a master stroke signing!

Tex, if you would like to see the Newcastle United Big Hits DVD, send me a message with your appropriate details, and I can send you a few CDs that contain the details about where you can legitimately purchase the DVDs :wink: :wink:
Texas

Post by Texas »

If only I knew Rugby like i know AFL I could also make sucky comments trying to enlist more support... :)

BigK Check PM
Gr8ness

DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Done and done my good man.
Texas

It has begun...

Post by Texas »

Real snaps up Juve stars - SBS

Real Madrid have begun the raid on Juventus' prized assets, announcing that it has come to terms with Italy's World Cup-winning captain Fabio Cannavaro and Brazil midfielder Emerson.

"Real Madrid can confirm it has reached an agreement with Juventus over the signing of Fabio Cannavaro and Emerson," a statement on the Spanish club's website read.

"The players are currently on holiday and will be presented at the Bernabeu after signing their respective contracts."

It is believed that Cannavaro, 32, and Emerson, 30, have agreed two-year deals with a further one-year option with Spanish radio reporting that the deal for the duo is worth 20 million euros ($A33.5million).

They will be re-united with former Bianconeri coach Fabio Capello who left the Turin club for a second stint at Real following the match-fixing scandal in Italy in which Juve has been stripped off its last two Serie A titles, demoted to Serie B and will start the 2006/07 season with a 30-point deficit.

The signings of Cannavaro and Emerson are the first under new Real president Ramon Calderon, who was elected earlier this month and has promised to rebuild the squad after three trophy-less campaigns.

Juve defenders Gianluca Zambrotta and Lilian Thuram have strongly been linked with Real's arch-rival Barcelona - but the former has expressed his desire to stay in Italy if possible with AC Milan a possible destination.

Cannavaro was a standout for the Azzurri as he led his country to 2006 World Cup glory - marking his centenary national team appearance in the final against France with another flawless performance.

Emerson, who began his career at Botafogo and then Gremio, made the move to Europe in 1997 when he joined Bayer Leverkusen.

After three seasons in the Bundesliga he linked up with Capello at AS Roma and followed the coach to Juve in 2004[/url]
Gr8ness

Texas

Post by Texas »

Barca eye Zambrotta, Thuram - Reuters

Barcelona is aiming to close the signings of Juventus defenders Gianluca Zambrotta and Lilian Thuram by the beginning of next week, the European and Spanish champion has said.

"Conversations are well advanced but until everything is signed it is best to wait," Barca sports director Txiki Begiristain told reporters as he returned from a trip to Turin on Wednesday.

"We are very optimistic and confident we can settle the operation before Monday."

Spanish media has been reporting that Barca have agreed a fee of 19 million euros ($A31.9 million) for Zambrotta and five million ($A8.4 million) for Thuram.

World Cup winner Zambrotta, who has 58 caps for Italy, is under contract to Juve until 2010. The 29-year-old fullback can play on either side of defence.

Thuram, 34, has won a record 121 caps with France and announced his international retirement after losing in the World Cup final to Italy earlier this month.

A key member of the French side that won the World Cup in 1998 and the European Championship in 2000, Thuram prefers to play in the centre of defence but can also be used as a right back.

Juventus has been involved in a match-fixing scandal in Italy and last week was ordered to start next season in Serie B on minus 30 points by a tribunal investigating the case.
Gr8ness

DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

David O'Leary has also parted ways with Aston Villa. Which is a nice way of saying that the club told him his services were no longer required. Which is a nice way of saying that the Club told him to get f&6ked, which isn't nice at all. He was payed a compensation package.

Aston Villa are in a pickly situation, with the loss of on-loan player James Milner (he returned to Newcastle as Villa wouldn't foot the kind of money required to purchase him) they'll be without one of their most enterprising midfielders from season 2005/06. Sacking a manager at this late stage of the offseason is a pretty poor place to be starting a new campaign, and it won't be surprising if they finish in the bottom 6. Hopefully for people in that part of the country they won't go down, as Birmingham were just lost from the premier league this past season.
Texas

Post by Texas »

from TheWorldGame

West Ham midfielder Shaun Newton has been suspended for seven months after testing positive for cocaine, the Football Association said on Wednesday.

"The ban, which applies to matches but not training and other football activities, starts May 20, the date on which he was suspended by his club," the FA said on its website.

The 30-year-old Londoner, who the FA said would be subject to target testing throughout the suspension, was tested after West Ham's FA Cup semi-final win over Middlesbrough on April 23.

GOLD- got on the Toot after the Cup win! DICKHEAD.
Gr8ness

Grimey

Post by Grimey »

I know the A league is not that good but when does the season get under way? Is channel 7 showing it this year?
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

It's on Foxtel. The season kicks off on the 25th of August.
A-League.com.au wrote: The wait is over with the first round of the Hyundai A-League 2006-07 season set to kick-off on Friday 25th August at Olympic Park when Melbourne Victory host defending Premiers, Adelaide United. Perth Glory travel to Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium to face the Queensland Roar, whilst the Newcastle Jets fly over the Tasman to go up against the New Zealand Knights. The final match of the round, Sydney FC and Central Coast Mariners will go head-to-head in a re-match of last season's Grand Final.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Man I wish our leagues would fall into line with the A League and move to a summer comp.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

General Chaos wrote:Man I wish our leagues would fall into line with the A League and move to a summer comp.
Won't happen until Cricket is outlawed.

Can't happen soon enough. :shock:
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

They are probably worried what switching to a summer comp would do. The NBL is an example it fell in a hole and is still trying to dig its way out
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

DjBigK wrote:
General Chaos wrote:Man I wish our leagues would fall into line with the A League and move to a summer comp.
Won't happen until Cricket is outlawed.

Can't happen soon enough. :shock:
Very good point. A fair chunk of my team plays Cricket.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Looks like there's a possibility Ruud could end up at Bayern Munich in a deal involving a player swap plus cash to Man U for Owen Hargreaves ... I actually think this would be a good deal, we really need some balls in the midfield. Ruud is 30 as well, and we're not Chelsea recruiting everyone 29 and over for a one season, serious tilt at the Champions League.

Also looks like Liverpool will miss out on Kuyt, which is a shame, not that they really need anyone else, they've got a great team as it is.

If I was about to start following a team in the EPL from this year, I'd probably choose Liverpool as my team, they're great to watch and have a real chance at taking up to Chelsea this season.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Cardsy you are wise and sensible... :)

Shame about Kuyt, liked his form in the World Cup. BUt we really need another proven quality striker, IMO
Gr8ness

DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

This is true Cardsy, Liverpool have an excellent team, strong across the board (though I still think Dudek is better than Reina! Reina was lucky that Gerrard saved him in the FA Cup final, especially when he got to become a hero of sorts in the shootout - although West Ham were hopeless in the shootout - Anton Ferdinand's penalty was one of the worst that I have seen). In reality Jub Jub should choose Tottenham. They have a an excellent roster, and are looking like possibilites to sign Damien Duff from Chelsea (for a bargain basement price considering what Chelsea paid). It will probably be better to have a bigger variety of supporters in the thread. I'd prefer if he supported Newcastle though! Even though it appears that Jubs has disappeared.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Spurs is a good choice for JubJub, BigK. But have we scared him off?
Gr8ness

DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Texas wrote:Cardsy you are wise and sensible... :)

Shame about Kuyt, liked his form in the World Cup. BUt we really need another proven quality striker, IMO
I didn't think that Kuyt did much in the World Cup, however I think it was partly because he was played out of position on the right. When he did have his big chance against Portugal, he was disappointing, not able to convert any of the good chances that he had. He certainly didn't have the touch of Robben or Van Persie, though he is a very different type of player. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but Liverpool are wise to not pay the sort of money that Feyenoord are wanting.. it's just way too much!!!

Realistically I think Liverpool have enough strikers on their books, although Bellamy can be quite flaky in terms of injuries, so signing another might come in handy.