GET EXCITED - World Cup 2018, now with even more corruption!

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Cannavaro will go to Real, who knows, with some defenders, a proper caoch and no Zizou (too many cooks...) they MIGHT, MAYBE challenge Barca.
Or maybe not.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Texas

Post by Texas »

Sol Campbell has quit Arsenal with one year remaining on his contract, 'in search of a fresh challenge.'

Would you boys have him at your club? I'd love him at Anfield. He may be a bit long in the tooth, but he's the type of defender I like.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

How could need a new challenge? I would have thought him getting a game would be challenge enough ... I can't remember the last time he started.

I wouldn't have him, too old, too fond of the elbow.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Interesting one.. he would be handy at Newcastle, though I would prefer they stick it out with Titus Bramble, who has a similar frame, but is more naturally talented, and a helluva lot younger.

So if the price was right he would be handy, though he is expected to leave England altogether.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Leave Ingerland? where to? 'Lesser' Euro league? Or a late A-League signing? hehe
Gr8ness

DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Wherever he will be taken I'd imagine.. can't see him playing in Spain or Italy for any of the major clubs... so maybe Germany or one of the also ran clubs in Serie A or La Liga.

I think he basically wants to go to a different league because of the all the emotional problems he had in the last season. It was the mental problems and injuries that kept him out of the Arsenal starting line-up.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Yeah I was thinking Bundesliga/LFP/Dutch or similar. Mental problems?
Gr8ness

DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

yahoo.something wrote: Campbell, 31, has been linked with a move away from Arsenal since he walked out on his team midway through a home defeat against West Ham in February this year, apparently suffering from depression.

The England star returned to action towards the end of the season and helped his side reach the Champions League final, where he scored in the 2-1 defeat against Spanish side Barcelona.

Sven Goran Eriksson included Campbell in his squad for England's World Cup campaign, but he only figured briefly during a Group B draw with Sweden.

The centre-back has attracted interest from Portsmouth and Turkish club Fenerbahce, but he admitted a move abroad may suit him best.

Campbell told Arsenal's website: "After much consideration, I have taken the decision to leave Arsenal.

"I have spent five fantastic, trophy-filled seasons at the club, with many truly memorable moments, including winning the Premiership title in 2004 by remaining unbeaten for the entire campaign.

"So, it is with a sense of pride, achievement and the desire for a fresh challenge that I depart.

"Playing abroad is something that would really interest me but at the moment I am keeping all of my options open.

"I would like to thank Arsene Wenger for everything he has done for me; the world class players that I have been privileged to play alongside and accomplish so much; everyone behind the scenes, from the directors to the staff and lastly but by no means least, to the fans.

"I'd like to thank everyone associated with the club for the wonderful memories and wish the team the best of luck in the future."

Campbell has been at Highbury since his controversial Bosman free transfer move from north London rivals Tottenham in May 2001.

He helped Arsene Wenger's side to clinch the League and FA Cup double in 2002 and also played a key role in the Gunners' unbeaten Premiership title-winning campaign in 2004.

Wenger paid tribute to his player and added: "Sol has been a giant for us since his arrival in 2001.

"His desire and presence have been instrumental to our success over the past five years, but we respect his decision to move on and of course, we are very sorry to see him go.

"I would like to thank Sol for his tremendous contribution. His commitment, stature and strength of character have served us remarkably well, both individually and as a team player who captained the side.

"I know that the younger players, who have progressed here over recent times, have benefited hugely from playing alongside Sol."
Texas

Post by Texas »

BigK you truly are 'El oráculo del Fútbol'
Gr8ness

General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

I will be following Man U in their quest to claim first runner up to Chleskie.

From memory Man U had the same amount of losses as Chelskie it's the dropped points in draws that make it hard for other clubs to compete as Chelskie have a second premiership capable side sitting on the bench. When they rest some stars against lesser sides they aren't nearly as vulnerable.

Anyhow it's only going to be worse this year.

Also XBL similcasts are great and Juz has a knack of bringing the goals with him! :)

You do realise we will all need a copy of the same game to partake in similcasts? I hear prey will be going for $10 on ebay in a couple of days once everyone has finished it and looks to offload it at once. ;)
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Uno? There's only 4 of us or so!!

... and there's the bonus of a wikid soundtrack!! :D
Last edited by Cardsy on 14 Jul 2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas

Post by Texas »

I was just gonna ask Pat for one of his spare copies of Prey, doubt if he will keep the 2 unopened spares... :D
(Chaos, have you heard from him? Or has the shame of how bad Prey has been recieved sent him into hiding?)
Gr8ness

General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Nah last I heard from him he was walking out of EB with his 3 copies and quivering with excitement. I wonder if the Rage has set in yet?

Anyhow the Prem runner up title will be decided on who can avoid dropping points to shit teams.

I'd like Man U to actually go out with an expectation that they are capable of 3 goals a game rather than some of the shit defensive efforts (resulting in conceeding late equalisers) they have put in boring me to sleep over the past couple of years.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Sorry, but Man U have to get past Liverpool first. All roads for second place lead thru Anfield. I honestly think that this COULD be the year that we challenge Chelski for the title.
(ducks for cover...)
Gr8ness

DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Yep.. If Bellamy fires for Liverpool they could be the team to challenge, though they don't have depth anywhere near that of Chelsea, so injuries will play a big part.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Does ANYONE except maybe Real and Barca have Chelski's depth?
Gr8ness

Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Juve and AC both had enviable lists ... probably won't soon though!!
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

LOL how the fuck will they drag themselves out of the lower leagues. I'm assuming nobody is going to play for them anymore.

Then again they can afford the best of the rest.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

They should come back pretty easily in the end :( They'll lose a lot of players, but will still be able to attract players that are too good for the lower leagues. Well Juve will anyway.. not sure about Lazio or Fiorentina.

Damn AC Milan not going down.. some great players there!!!! They start with a 15 point deficit... though

Doubt Juve will come up next year though because they start with a 30 point deficit! (Fiornetina 12 points, Lazio 7 points).
Texas

Post by Texas »

How did Milan dodge that bullet? At least they are still in Serie A!
Gr8ness

DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Yeah.. sucks now because they'll keep all of their players! ....

Newcastle only drew 1-1 with Lillestrom. Not a good sign! Though they're part of the way into their season, and had the advantage of match sharpness, which hurt Newcastle in the early stages.

Need to nab a win in Norway this coming weekend to sneak our way into the EUFA Cup. Here's hoping we do, as it will be a good shot in the arm in terms of signing players before the season commences in a little over a month.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Looks like Ruud is definitely on the move from Man U, and according to Soccernet, Alex Ferguson is chasing Fernando Torres!!!

I'd be pretty happy with Torres ending up at Man U ... awesomely talented and still very young. He won't come cheap though.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Raffa the Gaffer is looking to loan some Juve players, according to theworldgame. Trezeuget, Zambrotta and Camoranesi have been mentioned... would fill some problem spots nicely for Liverpool.
And ManU can't have Torres... he's Spanish and therefore should come to anfield :wink:
Gr8ness

Grimey

Post by Grimey »

Here is a noob question. The italian clubs that have been removed from Serie A do they HAVE to get rid of their top players? or are they shedding them because of contractual clauses?
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Not sure to be honest.

I'd imagine if any players thought there was a chance that any of these clubs could go down there would be a clause in their contracts stipulating that they would only play if the team was in Serie A. Though for Juve noone would ever have envisioned them going down.

Some of the players will most definately want to leave, as playing in a lower division could cripple their careers. In addition the clubs won't generate anywhere near the sort of revenue (for League, Euro comps, and ticket and merchandise sales) that they were getting previously, and so they'll be keen to offload some of the more highly paid players, to lessen their wage bill. They'll be able to use the transfer fees from some of the players to subsidise these losses to some extent, to keep themselves in a decent positions for when they are promoted to Serie A again (should that be the case).