FIBA World Championships Thread (Basketball)

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Get him to redshirt a year, do weghts and then 2 years in a Div 1 college program? Would be better than D-League. I thought he went to JUCO or at least 1 year of High School over there... But we don't hear shit in Tassie anymore...
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I bought the all access pass from fiba.com so i can stream all the games and watch them later etc, the first night the service was fucked, servers down etc, really bad streaming so I didn't get to see any of Australia vs turkey, caught a bit of usa vs china, I don't think anyone is going to get near them, the gap is only going to get bigger when those guys are older at the Olympics, then they will be worthy of Dream Team 2 status.

Australia, well we suck and our coach is a retard, he was only put in because BA loves the Eastern States particularly Sydney and well Goorjan coach = Sydney coach equals must be lots of media attention in Sydney = basketball takes off again... not. Goorjan isn't at international coaching standard, the team he lost to new zealand with should never have lost, regardless of the injuries. We suck pure and simple, to make matters worse we were up by 10 or 14 against Turkey I think, then got shutdown in the last quarter.

Bogut you'd think would have some offence around him, he took 8 shots! 8 shots ffs, he should be taking double that, Bruton is playing for an NBA contract so I was expecting him to take a lot of shots and try and control our game at the worlds, if they lose more I think you'll see the rest of them try and show off so they can get some international attention with all the scouts there.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Texas wrote:Get him to redshirt a year, do weghts and then 2 years in a Div 1 college program? Would be better than D-League. I thought he went to JUCO or at least 1 year of High School over there... But we don't hear shit in Tassie anymore...
Can't, he's played professionally so there's no point. It would probably hurt him now, he's better of playing against men than college players.
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Typical Boomers.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Got pumped today against Lithuania and only scored 57!!! FFS that's a disgrace, Bogut again not getting enough shots, the guy should be taking 15 - 16 shots a game.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Team USA had a tough time last night against Italy but it seemed a bit odd to see a USA team rally together and come back as a team, they had their first real bad quarter of the championships, only 11 points to italy's 29 in the second! So they outscored italy by about 18 in the second half to win by 9 or so but it was refreshing to see that the American's finally have a group of young guys (arguably some of the best in the league) together and understanding that there is pride in winning and playing for your country and you can't expect to just win it easily. I think they'll dominate and win Beijing easily but they are finding their feet here.

The argy bargies are looking the goods, dominating teams, it'll be interesting to see how they go against quality opposition, from what I have seen of their opponenets, a pretty weak sauce group.

Australia, what can I say, lose the coach they need a refreshing change, we only put up with Barry Barnes for so long, the straw was sitting Maher and Cattalini in their primes on the bench for the whole olympics with him, not making the final 12 would have to be the cut for Goorjan.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Texas

Post by Texas »

Ok...lets have a First Pick in the NBA draft, and use him.... AS A DECOY?????? FFS. Hello? Low-post offence? Where is the Pick & roll for man/'Carolina gap' against the zone? Welcome to rebuilding, people. Basketball Australia and the NBL have no-one to blame but themselves.
And it's Team USA, don't even think of calling them a Dream Team. One and only, people.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I am talking next olympics these guys might have the right to call themselves dream team 2, if they keep developing like they have james, wade, anthony, bryant, billups, stoudemire, anthony, hinrich, paul etc will certainly be able to call themselves the second best ever basketball team in hisotry, dream team 2.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Texas

Post by Texas »

They well might develop into the second best team ever, but they couldn't carry the Golden Boys jockstraps in a suitcase. And Team USA '96 or '00 would beat them too.
Anyhoo, we play Team USA next up... can anyone else smell an ass-whippin?
Gr8ness

Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Fuck, top 4 from each group go through, Australia is playing america in the round of 16 lol we are goooooooooneeeeeeeeee. They will demolish us.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
brent

Post by brent »

Texas wrote:They well might develop into the second best team ever, but they couldn't carry the Golden Boys jockstraps in a suitcase. And Team USA '96 or '00 would beat them too.
Anyhoo, we play Team USA next up... can anyone else smell an ass-whippin?
They probably would beat them, but this team is very very young.

Imagine how good this team is going to be in 6ish years if they keep the core of the team together. The names in the team definately have the potential to become on equal footing with the best, most of them are likely to become legends of the game. Wade, Anthony, Lebron, Kobe, Paul, Stoudamire.. probably not dream team 2 material now, but 2-6 years without a doubt.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Yeah, but you class them in the MJ/Magic/Larry class? Thats 3 of the 5 best players of all time right there, including GOAT himself. Kobe is only a MJ wannabe, without Shaq what has he done? And what has Shaq done without Kobe?
Yeah, I hate KB8, but I grew up in the GOAT era. MJ > *
Gr8ness

brent

Post by brent »

Can't class them there yet, but most of these guys are still in their early 20's. The potential is definately there for these guys to be listed with some of the greats.

What Kobe did last year, to lead the Lakers as far as he did, with that roster was nothing short of amazing. Even Laker haters should be able to recognize that. Added ~10 wins to a worse roster (which was already horrible) than the previous year and took the Suns to 7 games.

Granted, only Kobe from the current list could be listed in any sort of greatest ever lists, but the way is definately being paved for these guys.

Only time will tell, but if any lineup has the ability to become the second coming of the dream team this lineup is it. 2012 Olympics watch out.
Texas

Post by Texas »

The only one I really see being an All-Time-Great is LeBron. Sure, they are all HOF players, but not GOAT-level. And they can't shoot... heh.
Gr8ness

brent

Post by brent »

I am banking on Wade and Paul also being some of the greatest ever. Kobe without a doubt is already apart of that group imo.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Don't bank too much, my son. brent: quick question - how old are you and how long you been watching NBA? I will explain when you answer...
Gr8ness

brent

Post by brent »

Texas wrote:Yeah, but you class them in the MJ/Magic/Larry class? Thats 3 of the 5 best players of all time right there, including GOAT himself. Kobe is only a MJ wannabe, without Shaq what has he done? And what has Shaq done without Kobe?
Yeah, I hate KB8, but I grew up in the GOAT era. MJ > *
23 and ~14 years.

The game has changed dramatically in that time, but if your consistantly dominant during your era of playing, how can you not be considered as the part of the greatest? Just because it was tougher back in the day? You can only play to the rules the way they are set at the time.

Remember, Larry was playing with McHale/Parish. Magic was playing with Worthy and Abdul-Jabbar, MJ had Pippen. All of them needed significant support, KB8 is no different. KB8's problem is that his arrogance drives those types of people away from him, not to him.
Texas

Post by Texas »

I'm 30, and 19 years of NBA (ABC with Peter Gee, anybody?)
Ok, I agree that KB8 is great, and if they redid the 50 GOAT now, he would feature highly. But he is the only one form the post-MJ/pre LBJ era IMHO that would be added. We just don't know about LBJ/Melo/DWayde yet.
Kobe needs a better jumpshot (but so does the whole NBA), quit, go play pro Golf, NEARLY make the PGA, come back and win another 3, then he may be considered to be somewhere near MJ... heh
Gr8ness

brent

Post by brent »

Texas wrote:I'm 30, and 19 years of NBA (ABC with Peter Gee, anybody?)
Ok, I agree that KB8 is great, and if they redid the 50 GOAT now, he would feature highly. But he is the only one form the post-MJ/pre LBJ era IMHO that would be added. We just don't know about LBJ/Melo/DWayde yet.
Kobe needs a better jumpshot (but so does the whole NBA), quit, go play pro Golf, NEARLY make the PGA, come back and win another 3, then he may be considered to be somewhere near MJ... heh
Yep I agree.

I say bring back the days of the hard fouls and beatdown defense and see how good the new crop really is! :twisted:
Texas

Post by Texas »

except for maybe Detroit and Miami, the current crop of NBA would struggle against any of the great teams of the '90s... Shit, as a Jazz fan (GASP!!!!) I can only dream what Johnny and the Mailman would do... Let alone MJ, Pip, Harp etc
Gr8ness

Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Well against Italy they got a taste of the old style game and they stepped up and put them in their place. You are judging these guys against a team that was in it's prime, stoudemire will only still be 25 at beijing!! Considering most of them are not in their prime until 29ish in the nba, this is a excellent crop, by far the NBA has finally entered a new era of stars scattered around league which we have not had since the glory days!

These guys can shoot to, to say Kobe has a shit jump shot is stupid.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Pfft ... I'm over the FIBA WC ... too many Aussies jumping on the bandwagon, crowds going ballistic in town squares all over the country, tv and print media saturation to the point where I can't even open a newspaper, or turn on the tv without reading about or seeing our green and gold heroes in action ... hang on ... has this even started yet??? ;)
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Cardsy wrote:Pfft ... I'm over the FIBA WC ... too many Aussies jumping on the bandwagon, crowds going ballistic in town squares all over the country, tv and print media saturation to the point where I can't even open a newspaper, or turn on the tv without reading about or seeing our green and gold heroes in action ... hang on ... has this even started yet??? ;)
Maybe if Basketball had identities and power to push the media wagon and free to air coverage it might have happened but the sport isn't Australia's retarded code which needs public sympathy to get anywhere. For your information I think actually more countries particpated in the FIBA world cup than the soccer world cup and it's absolutely huge everywhere but here... I see the A-league starts next week, but does anyone care?? No the bandwagon's gone son.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

:lol:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

watched the americans lose to greece, greece had the dream game they needed, they had a stretch of quarters 2 and 3 where they could simply not miss but still they were helped the whole game by disgraceful refereeing decisions in their favour. International refs need to start ref'ing team usa like any other team instead of letting other teams maul them but assuming they'll still get it in because they are american etc then penalising them for breathing in the direction of an opposing player. Twice greece got foul shots on 3 pointers were twice they dived with the usa guy no where near, lebron james actually blocked one of the shots and he got called aq foul for it. Then in the last hinrich is shooting a 3 and gets absolutely smashed while in the motion and nothing. Greece certainly took apart the man on man though the US was slow, so slow on switching so greece constantly was getting a tall on a small and an easy score. Coach K screwed up by not putting dwight howard in for most of the second half, greece had no answer for him in the first half. oh well it was a good experience, i expect team usa to roll through the olympics and international competition from now on.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!