boring sunglasses thread.

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

boring sunglasses thread.

Post by Cletus »

It's well known that I absolutely love my Oakley Mars X-Metal Titanium Black Iridium sunglasses. I've owned them for about 8 years now. I used to get Oakley to service them yearly for about 100 bucks but they told me last year that there would be no more. They told me I had to move on. And so I started The Search for New Sunglasses. And man have I looked. All and I mean all of Oakley's latest styles are gay to say the least. Some other brands are ok...but only ok. I've looked at sunglasses every time I'm out with Nicole....but nada. I absolutely cannot find a pair of glasses awesome enough to take the place of my Oakley Mars X-Metal Titanium Black Iridium sunglasses. And it's not like they actually need to be replaced yet. The left lens has one tiny scratch. It's nothing. But time is harsh to polycarbonite lenses. They won't stay the way they are. I wear them every day. The longest I've gone without them was last year in hospital. And the day Nicole picked me up, she had them with her for me. :) And I hate scratched lenses. Most of us do. So I've been getting a bit panicked by the thought of changing to a new style.

Then I looked at Ebay. Oh my. Someone is selling them. Someone else is selling lenses that are made to the exact specs of the original Oakley lenses...but in a wider variety of colours.

I paid 500 bucks for these glasses back around 2000. I just bought a brand new unopened spare pair for 214 bucks with delivery on Ebay. I just got Ruby Red replacement lenses and frame clips for another 120 bucks to keep my original pair functional.

Oakley said I needed to move on and I have. To custom X Metal lenses and components. :up:

If you like them...$150 US is a bargain. They last for years. I have original cast Romeo X Metals and they're about ten years old. Still fine.

My old pair will get these lenses. The rubbers will remain black, which I'd prefer anyway.
Last edited by Cletus on 12 Apr 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

they look fucking stupid!
Blotto
Man Fairy
XBL ID: Blotto Otto
PSN ID: Blotts
Steam ID: Blotto_Otto

Post by Blotto »

jizzlobber wrote:they look fucking stupid!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

im a Ray Ban wearer myself. I did my apprenticeship with OPSM so I used to get up to $300 in glasses each year. since I dont wear specs it was the top of the line Ray Bans each year.

not a fan of Oakley's. I agree with Jizz. I think they look crap.

Ray Bans look classy and from my experience are far better build quality than Oakley's....
MCWrang
XBL ID: MCWrang
Steam ID: MCWrang

Post by MCWrang »

I used to wear Nike's about 8 years back, don't know why... liked the style I suppose, but the lens' on them were shocking, they would fade and scratch so easily.

Since then, I've moved onto Arnette, and they are brilliant, good quality frames and lens'. My current pair Ive had for over a year without a single scratch, and that's after dropping them a fair amount too.

oh, and I third the motion of the crap style sunnies, not a fan.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

I like my dirty dog's, only $100, look good, feel great.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

dp.
Last edited by Twiztid Elf on 11 Feb 2008 09:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

That read like a ROCCO Nintendo thread. :lol:

I just wear shitty $20 sunnies from the chemists. I'd worry about sitting on or loosing an expensive pair. Funnily enough, I've had my current cheapies for well over 5 years now.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Twiztid Elf wrote:That read like a ROCCO Nintendo thread. :lol:

I just wear shitty $20 sunnies from the chemists.
I work outside, on rooves.
Good eye protection is as important as anything I can think of. Though I doubt I'd wear cheap ones otherwise.

I don't take a great deal of care. I wear mine every day...all day. It's not hard to keep sunnies in good condition. As for losing them, well I've come close a few times but I've been lucky.
jizzlobber wrote:they look fucking stupid!
They're not far removed from the classic specs style. Stupid? I have had countless comments over the years on how good they look. I mark yours as the first negative comment though, no shit.

I change to these if I need full wrap around but I don't wear them often. They still look great after ten years.
Last edited by Cletus on 11 Feb 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

they must suit you then :lol:
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Well they do actually. And people with a fatter face look retarded in them. They certainly fit certain types. But isn't that true of all glasses?
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

I just wear Bolles. Funnily enough, I keep meeting people with the exact same style, and I stole the style off Vision (I figured if they looked good on my twin, they'd look alright on me :D) Still going strong after a few years, can really tell the difference compared to cheap glasses. Oh and the service is great - after just a couple of months, they got bent out of shape when they were in my pocket and I jumped a barrier at the train station (long story why, I did have a valid ticket though) - rang Bolle, sent them off to them, and they replaced them with a brand new pair at no cost. That's awesome, awesome customer service.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

It is. Oakley have been much the same for me over the years. I know other people who had a hard time with Oakley though. My experience has generally been very good.
Ekin

Post by Ekin »

My Oakley Spikes

I should have got the matte black. The brown gold makes it look too bling.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Cletus wrote:I work outside, on rooves.
Good eye protection is as important as anything I can think of. Though I doubt I'd wear cheap ones otherwise.
Seeing as I used to be a bike courier, I also came to that conclusion - it completely mystifies me how some couriers just don't see the need to wear sunglasses.

I just have a $90 pair of red BBB cycling sunnies. When I first got them, I found them to be incredibly dark, but after two years of wearing them almost constantly, it's like my eyes have adjusted to the amount of light coming through them to be a 'normal' level. I find myself wearing them all the fucking time.

When I finally kill these glasses, I'm going to get something even darker... maybe some fancy "Transitions" type ones that go from dark to black...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

I'm far too forgetful and rough with sunnies to spend real $$$ on them, and I like it that way.

One day I wouldn't mind a pair of fancy specs for fancy occasions, but its just the sort of thing I would lose. I always stupidly forget my sunnies are hooked on the collar of my shirt and they cop alot of damage from me dashing around the place and/or falling over.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

falling over? Are you an alcoholic or something?
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

......no :D

but yea I mean like when I dash around my house for fun n stuff they often cop a fall. I am also an extremely terrible skater who started way too late :P
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

:D

aahhhh...
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

I'm with the cheap bastards.

I couldn't justify a heap of cash for sunnies. I've broken and lost too many pairs of cheap sunnies to see any point in a good pair. I've considered on a number of occassions picking up a really good pair that i've seen, but I don't trust myself with them.

Also... i think the Oakleys in the OP look fucked.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Anyone know where I can get some Nike sunglasses? I have a pair now but can't find anywhere that stocks them (retail stores preferred, I'd like to try them on first).
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

My gf got me a sexy pair of Arnette's last Christmas. First pair of expensive sunnies I've ever owned, and I love them.

I also used to be a cheap sunnies person, but after getting the Arnette's I can see what I've been missing out on. The lenses are far superior, and I've never worn a pair that is so comfortable on my face.

I'll still buy cheap sunnies though whenever I find some that suit me, as I don't like wearing the expensive ones to places where they might get wrecked/lost, such as the beach or music festivals etc. For example a while ago I was out on a boat at a buck's party, and of course the sunnies I was wearing went straight over the edge. If they were expensive ones, I would've been gutted - but as I only paid <$20 for them I really didn't care.

And I'll also agree with the "those Oakley's look fucking stupid" sentiment.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

In a hundred years we'll all be wearing the Oakley Medusa hat and goggles combo. But for now, it's a little before its time.

stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

:lol:

The sad thing is there's people out there that will wear them.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

It's certainly bizarre. I could see ravers wearing something like that...but not day to day stuff.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I actually like the look of the goggles. You don't see enough goggles damnit. I might start bringing it back. Where am I bringing it back from you might ask? The ye olde coal mines where you started work at 8 (not 8am but 8 years old)