boring sunglasses thread.

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Jet Ranch Radio
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I'm on the cheapie pile, too many times I've sat on my sunnies/crushed them otherwise or broken them to invest in an exxy pair.

I have real trouble finding sunnies I like though, too many look too wanky/poofy for my liking, and are excessively curved so that once I've got them on, they are touching my cheeks.

>_<

the other beef I have with buying sunnies is so many fucking pairs that I've found that actually look and fit well, aren't dark enough to be practical. It sucks! I'll trying on a decent pair of sunnies and then look to somewhere bright and I'll find that I might as well just squint slightly or not wear them at all because there's so little difference.
Last edited by Ben on 12 Feb 2008 04:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I think even if I lost expensive sunnies often, I'd still buy them over cheapies. As it is, I don't lose them and rarely damage them. When you average out what I paid for them against the years I've had them it works out to be around $60 a year, with that average improving for each year I don't lose them and still wear them. A couple of cheap pairs a year works out roughly the same, often without the better clarity of more expensive lenses. But that's not counting servicing them at about $100 a year. Then I'd say I'm spending less than a replacement pair of expensive glasses (which are usually say...$250 ) by simply replacing the lenses. And I did that a lot in the past. A new pair each year...sometimes two pairs. It adds up. And a lot of styles look really dated really quickly.

pilonv1 wrote:Anyone know where I can get some Nike sunglasses? I have a pair now but can't find anywhere that stocks them (retail stores preferred, I'd like to try them on first).
Don't Nike have a big store in Sydney? I used to see them in Sunglass Hut and Rebel Sports but I don't really take any notice now.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Ben wrote:I'm on the cheapie pile, too many times I've sat on my sunnies/crushed them otherwise or broken them to invest in an exxy pair.
My favourite is the old "run into the surf forgetting you've got them on, then getting dumped by a massive wave" trick. I did that once and one of my friends miraculously found the glasses... then I did it again about two minutes later.
I have real trouble finding sunnies I like though, too many look too wanky/poofy for my liking, and are excessively curved so that once I've got them on, they are touching my cheeks.
My big girly eyelashes touch the lenses on 99% of glasses I try on. Fuck it pisses me off. Still, nuts to paying any more than $25 for a pair. Makes as much sense to me as buying designer socks.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Big girly eyelashes. :lol:

Ive got 4 pairs of sunnies. One pair are cheap wrap-arounds I got for £3 from Soho on my first year in London which I still have. Mainly use them for work so if they get damaged, no loss.

My 2nd pair I bought at Xmas, a pair of Blocs for £35. Not too far off the eye jackets design Oakleyl does. Wanted a nice pair for those days Im not at work.

My 3rd pair, well, not really sunglasses, but interchangable lenses on safety frames. I use them for night time and when Im on the gear. Yellow lenses ftw.

My 4th pair, they are a shit pair of those old school RayBan aviators? I think thats what they are called. I wear them at paries cos they are funny and old skool looking. They are the ones Im wearing in my gamerpic on XBL with my hell 'tasche. :t0mby:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Gamma wrote:My big girly eyelashes touch the lenses on 99% of glasses I try on. Fuck it pisses me off. Still, nuts to paying any more than $25 for a pair. Makes as much sense to me as buying designer socks.
I have that issue with my eyelashes too... but as sensible as designer socks? I don't see any point in buying anything more expensive than Holeproof Explorers (or indeed, anything but them), but sunnies are actual eye protection - you shouldn't be skimping on that shit. Last time I bought a $25 pair of servo sunnies, I got raped because they were red.

I happen to like red. A lot. My current sunnies are red.
They don't, however, turn the world red when you look through them. These cheapo sunnies not only turned everything a disturbing pinkish red colour, they also had this fucking awesome trick of turning the Amber light emitted by those newfangled LED traffic lights into a nice green colour.

That was a fun few hours...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

I wear Spoke 2.0 in Polished Black for prescriptions:

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Classic Nerd™
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

They're not bad at all. I'd wear Oakley frames if I had to wear prescription lenses.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

unfnknblvbl wrote:I have that issue with my eyelashes too... but as sensible as designer socks? I don't see any point in buying anything more expensive than Holeproof Explorers (or indeed, anything but them), but sunnies are actual eye protection - you shouldn't be skimping on that shit. Last time I bought a $25 pair of servo sunnies, I got raped because they were red.
Then don't buy red ones! I made the sock analogy because they're both primarily functional items. Socks cover your feet- as long as they do that and don't fall apart after wearing them three times, I'm really not interested in any other aspect of them. Sunglasses protect your eyes- again, I don't care who makes them. Of course you can get cheap sunnies that don't protect your eyes, just as you can get cheap socks that wear through in a week, but I sincerely doubt the extra $100+ is going into improved eye protection- you're paying for the design. Given that the UV rating is up to scratch, I don't see how this is skimping. It's nice to know I can lose/destroy them and not care. And destroy them I do- see Boomy's post. You'd spend a shitload more time in the sun than me though (as would Cletus), so if you guys genuinely think it's worth it... I only ever said buying expensive sunnies doesn't make sense to me. :)
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

You can still buy cheap sunglasses that meet all the standards. The big square frames with windows on the side that the AntiCancer Council endorse are about $25.

But fuck they're ugly. :D

I assume I'd lose or break them regularly though for the simple reason being they're not worth looking after.

But Gamma, can I assume you don't dress yourself out of an Op shop? I'd guess you'd buy Levi (as would I ) and you'd pay for Nike or the like ( again, as would I ). I see sunglasses no differently. They're the same as clothes. You define yourself with what you wear, even if your point is not to.

As for socks...I only buy Explorer. I have since I was 15. Cheap copies are just that and nothing more.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

but they were red! RED!!!

Surely you, of all people, understand the dilemma I was placed in!
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I did snowboarding once...ages ago. Bought a pair of Big Red Bolle' Goggles that also turned the world red. I should take a photo of these things. :lol:
But colour clarity is pretty much the same. Good tinted lenses don't screw colours around too much. Mostly they only turn white light into a colour.

But they're still Bolle' and the clarity is perfect...unlike the cheapy ones you had.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Cletus, were they Globules? I've still got a pair of those (red lenses), they're insane.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

yeah, my normal sunnies are red mirrored - I'd left them at home on my last trip to Melbourne, and I realised this at around dawn on the overnight drive over, so I dashed into the next servo to buy some el cheapo ones.... and they sucked...
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yeah mech, they are! :D I just went and found them. I actually never knew what model goggles they were...never took any notice.

Globule

Noir/Black
Vermillon Flash Gun

I didn't know that. I wore them snowboarding once and to one or two Big Days Out...when I had a shaved head. They're in near perfect condition. They might come in handy one day.

I removed the earpieces.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Was just reading around about Arnette sunnies and realised that Luxottica Group (owners of Arnette) also own the following brands....
Ray-Ban, Oakley (as @ Nov 2007), Inc., Revo, Arnette, Killer Loop, Persol, Vogue, Luxottica, and Sferoflex; and designer lines, such as Chanel, Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, D&G, Versace, Bulgari, Miu Miu, Salvatore Ferragamo, Donna Karan, DKNY, Genny, Byblos, Brooks Brothers, Sergio Tacchini, Anne Klein, Versus, Ralph Lauren, Polo, Chaps, Ralph, and Adrienne Vittadini.
:shock:

Fuck... isn't there a law against this shit??!!
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

I'm more a fan of the ray ban style myself too, apart from the stupid aviator shit. I usually stick to a budget of $200 max though, for the same reasons given by others. I'm not sure the old "you get what you pay for" always is correct for sunnies.

ps. they service sunglasses? what do they do, tighten the screws and give them a wipe?
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I'd assume they all have their own in-house design for the frames and the lens technology shared.

Makes sense though. I had trouble moving to a new style because the ones I wear linger around a classic shape. A lot of the new styles look like they'll date really quickly. I'd say as soon as the blingbling/metrosexual fad has worn off. Everything looks like a Dolce and Gabanna (sp? whatever) rip off at the moment. A lot of men's styles look like women's styles.
westical wrote: ps. they service sunglasses? what do they do, tighten the screws and give them a wipe?
Oakley won't sell you replacement lenses. It's just an easy way of saying I send them to Oakley to replace the lenses because they won't let me do it myself. In other words, they service them.

And yes, I agree...around 200 bucks is fair to pay. Much more is extravagant.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

Cletus wrote:
westical wrote: ps. they service sunglasses? what do they do, tighten the screws and give them a wipe?
Oakley won't sell you replacement lenses. It's just an easy way of saying I send them to Oakley to replace the lenses because they won't let me do it myself. In other words, they service them.
Ah ok, that sounds more worthwhile.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

For a hundred bucks it was an ok deal in my opinion.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

Arnette Burner 2's

And my prescription glasses which I never wear (only meant to be for when I'm at work in front of the computer all day) - Converse Wired

Oh, and in other sunglasses related news - my girlfriend found a pair of Prada (or was it Gucci?) sunglasses in a carpark recently. Very similar to a pair she was looking at buying herself. And yes, they're genuine, and in excellent condition with no scratches 8)
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Both are fine...prefer the prescription frames though. I just won't buy plastic frames any more. That's probably the main reason the ones I wear last like they do. It's a seriously strong frame. I'd say almost every pair of plastic frames I've had are lost or broken or they've aged badly.

I'm firmly in the Metal frames category.
mech

Post by mech »

Cletus wrote:Yeah mech, they are! :D I just went and found them. I actually never knew what model goggles they were...never took any notice.

Globule

Noir/Black
Vermillon Flash Gun

I didn't know that. I wore them snowboarding once and to one or two Big Days Out...when I had a shaved head. They're in near perfect condition. They might come in handy one day.

I removed the earpieces.
I've got a white pair, I still use them from time to time, the ear pieces are handy as hell to keep your ears warm in the snow. They tend to fog up though which is a shame, and mine are scratched to shit :( They look ridiculous yet awesome at the same time.
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

I've got oakleys, they are pretty old though. most likely 8/9 years old i'm thinking now but they were about $300 back then and i do have prescribed lens in them and they still do the job so i'll hold onto them. If i got new ones, they wouldent have to be oakleys, as long as they looked good really. I've never lost any sunglasses, hell i've still got my old Oakley Frogskins. I should get my eyes tested again tho, its been at least 6 years since i've had them tested
Everybody be cool.....You be cool