The Transformers thread - new CG animated series announced

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Fucking hell Michael Bay sucks - they look awful, nothing like the original characters in the least. Michael Bay is the worst hack director going in Hollywood - so glad he didn't get Superman.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Those would be an absolute bitch to make in to toys I would think... so many openy up parts and stuff.

I reckon they look OK though... very weird and, bionicle like, skeletal... hmm.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

I just think, if you are going to set it in a gen 1 timeline then set it in the 80's and use the correct models.
That's exactly what I was hoping.

See what I expected was that if it wasn't going to be set in the time period of the cartoon, that they would at least go an "alternators" look to all the autobots. So the characters would at least be vehcles that capture the personality of the original characters.

But it seems like they want to make whole new franchise altogether rather than homage to the original toon.

Some of the things I remember being happy to hear about were that there would be no mass shifting, (I never liked the idea of shrinking parts) and things like megatron no longer being a tiny little handgun. These are the kind of changes I can accept nad would prefer in a live action movie. But when pictures started to trickle in of all the changes to the robots I thought:"fans are not going to like this."

I'm curious to find out how they transform though and what the toys are going to be like. It might actualy be good, just disapointing that its not G1. (that is to say, like what happened with Battlestar Galactica reimagining, people might like this as an original take on the TF but just be angry it is not what they expected as fans of the original cartoons which they were mislead into believing from the start)

I wish there was actually an Alternators CG cartoon with a big budget. (ie unlike beast wars it will involve many characters and span generations of TF rather than focus on a few. Combining the good writing of BW with the epic struggles between armies of transformers from the G1 era which I thought the animated movie capture nicely - etc life will still go on after prime is dead etc)

Another thing that worries some is how much time hmans will take away from the transformers themselves. Will it all be about humans or will it focus on the autobot characters? There is that danger that focusing on humans will take away from the transformers themselves. For me I picture the humans being a minor part in the story when the autobots are rescuing them from some kind of danger, but then for the majority of that time they then go about thier business fighting against decepticons directly. (earth just being a place for them to battle each other and humans being native wildlife that they ignore for the most part. We look at the autobots from the point of view of being one of them rather than an outsider looking in - but because they are "aliens" there is that potential to make them seem mysterious at first like the "mutants" in the "x-men" story with some humans mistakening the bad mutants/aliens for good ones and good ones for bad etc and not actually publicly knowing differences between either of them yet.)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

I actually quite like the new models, surprisingly. Though Megatron looks pretty pox.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

I need to see Optimus closer before i judge, Bumblee actually looks cool. Megatron looks fuckign evil... but not like Megatron...
Pat

Post by Pat »

Looks shit.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

these models look fucking terrible.

here is the optimus model.

:puke:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Optimus I don't mind since it actually bears some resemblance. Starscream is really poor, and Megatron is just pathetic. They could have at least made him into a tank like G2 Megatron.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

i'd like to see the old transformers as well but, that was then....this is now. I like the new look. This is the same old argument as the comic book to movie adaptation. Just enjoy the movie.
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
Pat

Post by Pat »

All my dreams have been shattered this week. Stargate SG1 cancelled, velociraptors are onlt 2.5 feet tall, and now Megatron doesnt function as a jetfighter. :(
SythBlade
i just want to be accepted

Post by SythBlade »

:( this is shit. like pat said, its a horrible week.. i hope some one else picks up sg1 :(
Juzbuffa
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
XBL ID: Juzbuffa1

Post by Juzbuffa »

Set report up at IGN:
Four Autobots were on-set: Bumblebee, Ironhide, Ratchet and Jazz. Bumblebee is in fact the yellow and black Camaro we have been seeing on the Internet. Ironhide is a huge GMC 4X4 truck, complete with enormous exhaust pipes and an Autobots logo stamped into the tailgate. Ratchet is a rescue vehicle, looking less like an ambulance and more like a modified Humvee. A sticker on the vehicle bears the traditional Autobots logo. Jazz is a curvy silver coupe, the latest Pontiac Solstice. It seemed like one guy's entire job was to buff the car and make sure it remained shiny during the carnage.
Jazz, a Pontiac Solstice:

:down:

Clearly they just wanted to make the "All American" movie with this shitty selection of American muscle cars, since they either didnt have the budget for the big name euro cars, or just didnt get the licensing rights. Fair enough with Ironhide and Ratchet being better alt modes than their G1 versions, but I dont care for Jazz losing his status as a Porsche :(

I'm really starting to hate this movie after seeing these fucked up designs. I want to see the characters I know and love done in a way that wasnt possible 20 years ago, not these fucked up looking monstrosities that they have just slapped a familiar TF name on. I'll reserve my final judgement for when I've actually seen the movie, but its going to have be something pretty fucking special to redeem itself in my eyes.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen through your eyes...

KillKen
lazy
XBL ID: KillKen

Post by KillKen »

I He also stated that the "transforming sound" is likely to make it into the film
IT FUCKING BETTER BE!!!. Im not that happy about these new models. The optimus prime one is the only one that I could live with and thats pushing it.

I dont see why they dont set this in the 80's like someone said and keep the models.

If they do do a trilogy or even a sequel they could just do it through the years couldnt they?.

Say have the second one set around 5 or 10 years that way they could bring it up to date.

I just think it's wrong to change something like this that we all grew up watching so much to these things we dont even recognise.
KillKen
lazy

Post by KillKen »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdNrQfE9 ... ed&search=[/youtube]

Why the fuck cant these big budgets fuckers in hollywood do a simple thing like this????.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Huh? That comment doesn't make sense at all.
That's an ad Kilkenny, and that's more than likely exactly what they'll look like. (except for the shitty designs ;) )
KillKen
lazy

Post by KillKen »

Timbo wrote:Huh? (except for the shitty designs ;) )
My bad I was referring more to the design of that robot in the add.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Candy Arse wrote:Image

:down:
Bay take note :suicide:
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Ahh, right you are. :)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I think Megatron looks a bit like something from biobooster guyver. I wonder how the hell he transforms from that thing into the alien jet mode?
I hope it is a true mechanical transformation with no morphing shapeshifting pieces and shit.

I'm going to assume this is just his cybertronian form before coming to earth. Remember in the beginning, the TF had different forms on that planet to the terrestrial ones for earth. Earth vehicles were mistaken as the native aliens of earth, and the disguise made was of the vehicles assuming cars and trucks etc were people. Something I think was a mistake by the onboard computer Teletraan 1 inside the crashed ship. It was only later that the TF realised flesh and blood humans were the aliens. (so it might just be that there are multiple forms for the same character)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

ah I won't believe anything til i see it in the movie, they are releasing stuff on purpose to throw people off, they have stated the first time you'll see a transformation is in the movie, it won't be in any previews.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Dj Flextacy
Mr 60FPS
XBL ID: flextacy
PSN ID: flextacy

Post by Dj Flextacy »

I'm hoping somehow that these abominations aren't what they'll be like for the whole movie.. if they are i can see why bay stated "you wont see a transformer till the movie" because at that point you'd of already paid your money, and i think personally alot of transformer fans will boycot this movie if those are the final designs. Megatron looks like a cross between that rock creature from the ewoks movie and a piece of arse.. although he also looks similar to the rock creatures they were originally gonna have in star trek 5 if they could of afforded it :D.. i'm going to see it either way, but i truely hope i'll somehow walk out of the cinema happy, whether it be because starscream gets shot apart and rebuilt as what we came to know and love, or because of the extra attention the lovely blonde girl working at the cinema gave me during the movie 8)
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Mybe they're just early builds... You guys ever remember looking at offical movie guides where there's early artwork and thinking, "holy shit, what were they thinking!"

Yeah, that's it surely!! The power of positive thought...
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

Here are some more pics of Optimus

jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

his face looks weird...and he is heaps hollow. you can see all the intriquite metal parts underneath his truck armour
i still prefer the 80's boxy look
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

THey all look like the predator in the head. Look shit.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!