The Transformers thread - new CG animated series announced

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Beast wars was good. People bagged it but it shat all over any of this new crap they try to pass off as Transformers.

Plus it was set in the same "Universe" and incorporated plenty of Transformers History (Future) in the plot as well.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yeah Seasons 2 and 3 really took off and kicked some serious donkey. It had some superb humour as well.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I lurve beast wars :D I have season 1 & 2 box set sitting here. Season 1 was ace, not a huge fan of the transmetals though. But I have only seen a few eps of season 2.

The great thing was how much the team created it loved G1. Starscream, Ravage... all it if, brilliant.
Ekin

Post by Ekin »

GameHED wrote: The one thing I got to mention on the new one is how his wings stand up at an angle like a pair of demons wings. They just give him a more menacing look when they are angled up like that instead of drooping down like on the old. These might be moveable and stuff.

My main beef with the old one was how in the old one, the back of the legs looks messy. I'm not a fan of robots which have parts sticking out too much on the limbs. One of the arguments that fans use to attack the new one in thier quest to convince people it sucks is how "he doesn't look like the character from the toon". I always counter that with "the toon isn't accurate to the toys anyway which is what the character is based on" and in the toon, there is parts that magically disappear. (so it's impossible to be accurate to a cartoon that allows for that. Example: master piece prime toy has the wheels in plain view in robot mode, but in the toon they disapear, so saying that having those extra bits on the hip makes him not look like starscream from the toon would be the same thing as me saying that Masterpiece prime doesn't look anything like prime in the toon because of the wheels on his leg. arrrgh fanboys and thier stupid logic)

About alts: my faith in good alts was renewed when I saw alt mirage because I was a little disapointed in alt prime and it looked like the line was going to start sucking. I think "alt prime" should just be masterpiece prime (they are in the same scale) and the alts displayed next to him. :D

edit:
cut n pasted for convenience:

three new pics of MPSS: (click to enlarge)

Image Image Image
It looks like they are going for a more low vis look to please aircraft fans than trying to be loyal to the toon color..I bet they will end up releasing more than 1 version. (not sure how popular TF even is in japan amoungst a sea of "mecha" shows)
You must hate Tracks then :D

G1 wasnt very consistant with its animation anyway, in some episodes it was just terrible. They probably didnt draw the wheels in the cartoon just to make things easier.

MPSS is looking awesome! So much detail. I actually never noticed the wings before but they are also curved in the cartoons.
Juzbuffa
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
XBL ID: Juzbuffa1

Post by Juzbuffa »

I'll be getting MP 'Screamer. He will go well on the other side of the TV from my MP Prime.

Im hanging out to see what the CG bots will be like for the new movie. I know theyve had to change Prime to be a long nose type truck because the G1 style truck didnt give enough height in robot mode. I havent seen a pic yet mind you, but hopefully they dont root it up too much.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen through your eyes...

edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

great to hear the original voice of optimus prime will be in the movie :up:
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I wonder if they will focus on the story where Optimus had blood in his urine.
Juzbuffa
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
XBL ID: Juzbuffa1

Post by Juzbuffa »

"Now all we need is a little energon, and a lot of luck."

How many of you blokes saw the TF movie back in the day and cried like little girls when OP died?*

* I didnt cry because I never got to see the TF movie in the cinemas, I think I finally saw it when we first got a VCR back in 1990 or something. It wasnt my fault, I had a deprived childhood and lived in the country.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen through your eyes...

Ekin

Post by Ekin »

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forums/p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... rofile&u=3

Michael Bays posted some TF info on his forums.

It sounds likes hes not a complete moron but im not convinced.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

For some reason I am feeling kind of comfortable with what he is doing. The fact that he wants to get the original voice actors in, he has said it isn't a G1 story, but has elements of it... I guess we won't really know until it comes out. He has said he wants the first time you see a transformer is when you see the movie. So trailers will be odd.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Juzbuffa wrote:"Now all we need is a little energon, and a lot of luck."
How many of you blokes saw the TF movie back in the day and cried like little girls when OP died?*
To this day I still cry like a little girl/get all teary eyed in that scene. :redface:

Emotionally scared for life.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I get teary whenever I hear The Touch.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I just started watching season 2 of beastwars. I honestly don't remember it being this good. Just watched the first 3 eps. Rhinox saying "Where all are one" man that really got me :D

The whole western high noon feel. Awesome.

G1 and Beastwars are the best series ever.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

All "Real" TF timeline DVD's imported from the US.

Gen1 through to Beast Machines (which I haven't watched yet).

All sitting among my several shelves of TF's I've kept since I was a kid and accumulated/added to since.

I should post pics. In fact I think we need a new Mechs, Toys etc etc thread.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I read a quick summary for beast machines... I think I can live with out it.

Sounds like it strays away from the ideas Bob Forward and Lawrence DiTillio had when they were making Beast Wars.

Madman and the AV channel are doing the region 4 releases, which have a few more editions over the US releases. Also new dreamwave artwork on the internal covers :D So I was happy with waiting. Hopefully season 3 gets released soon as I am going to hammer through season 2.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Well the first Beastwars R4 release was nothing short of homeless. I have that aswell.

They pressed the last disc without the final episode on it FFS and I ended up flaming them and having to wait while the re pressed the disc again.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

really? When was that released? I bought the R4 release that came out earlier this year. Season 2's official release daet is today and I got my copy of it on monday.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Look I can't really remember it was over a year ago now. Not even sure what season it was. I'll have a look when I get home...

Anyhow it was very shabby presentation too (talking colour photocopy for a cover and that's about it).
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Marketing this is going to be interesting, as Bay has said that the first time you see the Transformers, it's going to be on the movie screen...
I guess that might end up being true for Americans but for every other country I reckon it'll probably be a different story.

I wonder how the toy pricing will go too, if they are going to be hell elaborate and big they're going to be exxy too. Mind you the most I've paid for a TF toy was about $60~ for the MP UltraMagnus and underneath that $50 for the Beast Wars Rampage, but I've seen some of the gigantic ones prices recently and they're $100+

Oh well, I think we can revel that the toys are probably going to be fucking wicked nonetheless.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Juzbuffa wrote:"Now all we need is a little energon, and a lot of luck."

* I didnt cry because I never got to see the TF movie in the cinemas, I think I finally saw it when we first got a VCR back in 1990 or something. It wasnt my fault, I had a deprived childhood and lived in the country.
Yes I cried, saw it when it opened in 86. I begged my parents to take my brother and I to see it whilst he begged to see Go-Bots. I won, but really...I lost. :(
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

http://www.transformersthemoviedvd.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Out on the 7th of November in the US, just in time for my birthday!
SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT UNVEILS SPECIAL FEATURES LINE-UP FOR HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED 2-DISC COLLECTION:
TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE 20TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EDITION DVD

Ultimate TRANSFORMERS Limited Edition DVD To Feature Three Versions Of Film; Commentary Tracks and Interviews; Sneak Peak At Next Summer's Major Motion Picture Event; And Much More

Legendary Artist Don Figueroa Crafts Exclusive New "Transforming" Cover Art For This DVD

New York, New York, July 21, 2006 - SONY BMG Music Entertainment will help usher in the next phase of TRANSFORMERS mania as it unveils the specifics of its November 7th release of TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD. Since announcing the title in June, fans have been clamoring for more details ­ nearly as much as Decepticons clamor for Energon ­ and they will not be disappointed. Sony BMG Home Entertainment has gone to painstaking lengths to put together the ultimate package that will surely appeal to the huge, passionate and multi-generational TRANSFORMERS fan base. For the 20th anniversary edition, Sony BMG Home Entertainment completely re-mastered and color-corrected the film and will present Optimus Prime, Megatron and the rest of the star-studded Autobots and Decepticons in true splendor through three distinct versions:

* 16 X 9 WIDESCREEN PRESENTATION ­ which has not been seen anywhere since the movie was in theaters 20 years ago.
* AUTOBOT MATRIX OF KNOWLEDGE PRESENTATION ­ Truly showcasing the pop culture phenomenon that is THE TRANSFORMERS, SONY BMG has created a special version of the film for the DVD release. The Autobot Matrix of Knowledge will feature trivia and fun facts about the movie itself, the TRANSFORMERS brand, and the pop culture references in which TRANSFORMERS has been spoofed/tributed. Approximately 100 fun facts will show up on screen throughout the movie. Many of the factoids were provided by fans through a special DVD site created by Sony BMG to solicit input -- marking the first time that the huge TRANSFORMERS fan base has ever been asked to participate in the creation of a TRANSFORMERS home entertainment release.
* FULL SCREEN EDITION

Adding to the excitement for this DVD, Sony BMG Home Entertainment has partnered with Paramount Pictures to provide a behind-the-scenes sneak peak at next summer's highly anticipated TRANSFORMERS live action movie event. The special feature segment on the DVD will include comments from Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg who share their vision and passion for TRANSFORMERS.

TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD will take viewers even more inside this cult favorite than ever before through all-new interviews and first-time-ever commentary tracks. Exclusive new interviews with director Nelson Shin, story consultant Flint Dille and Sue Blu, the voice of fan-favorite Arcee, are included in this fantastic new special edition DVD.

To further commemorate the 20th anniversary of the film, SONY BMG is providing fans with some extra-celebratory content that lets them track back to the true origins of the TRANSFORMERS. After careful consideration and preparation, Sony BMG has scoured the archives for the best TRANSFORMERS-related footage available, and the DVD will include the original commercials for the toy line and movie -- allowing viewers to see how and where the phenomenon began.

Beyond the actual DVD content, Sony BMG Home Entertainment is expanding the DVD's collectibility to the packaging itself. The company has commissioned fan-favorite artist Don Figueroa to create the imagery for a special "transforming" cover. Through his much-heralded work with TRANSFORMERS, Don's art brings to life the characters so many have grown to love. With Optimus Prime appropriately situated in a position of prominence on the cover, the Autobot leader is joined by Megatron, Bumblebee, Starscream, Blaster and more of the most popular TRANSFORMERS characters on the first image of the special "transforming" cover.

TRANSFORMERS: The Movie features the voice of Orson Welles in his final role, as well as stars Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, Leonard Nimoy, Casey Kasem, Robert Stack, John Moschitta, Peter Cullen, and Frank Welker. The DVD also features a winning soundtrack featuring the iconic theme "The TRANSFORMERS" performed by Lion, and the popular "The Touch," performed by Stan Bush. The movie, set in 2005, chronicles the efforts of the heroic Autobots to defend their home of Cybertron from the evil Decepticons and Unicron, a huge robotic creature that devours planets.
SPECIAL FEATURES

* Brilliantly remastered and color-corrected!
* Limited Edition 2-DVD set!
* New 16 x 9 widescreen version
* Exclusive interviews and commentaries

Full list coming soon!
:up: :up: :up:
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

16:9 -GET!!

See they are also doing a 4:3 version and marketing it as a good thing.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

wooo!

I'm going to rebuy a movie!
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

:up: Good stuff, I thought that the actual movie was drawn on 4:3 cels or whatever, but to make it cinematic when it hit the movies they cropped it into 16:9?

Hehe, sounds like their recycling some of the stuff from the DVD that's out now though, toy line commercials and the touch video clip were already on the DVD that's out now, albeit in absolutely horrid visual quality hehe
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

GreyWizzard wrote:wooo!

I'm going to rebuy a movie!
Me too... anyone wanna buy my dodgy Madman release?