The Transformers thread - new CG animated series announced

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Yeah I've been seeing this latest line of movie branded deluxe toys... it's a pity they just seem like they are cashing in. Re-releasing deluxe toys like Barricade, Concept Bumblebee etc, with only tiny blue highlights... guh.

There was one new released toy that I thought looked cool in both car and bot omde, but can't recall the name, I think it was a pickup. The rest look kind of arse, the yellowy fighter jet etc, all have horrible bot forms imo.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Well the ones with keys are cybertron repaints.Some of them are from the game.

They are milking the movie line just before it dies and then going to go into TFA line. The movie line sufferred from shortages when the movie came out so they are probably over-compensating for it by having lots of shelfwarmers before eventually discounting them and making way for the next line.

But we all know this trick: release the originals, have them be repainted and be the other characters that look like the originals, (eg skywarp and thundercracker release after starscream) have limited edition convention exclusives which the nerds buy, then finally release them as two packs (possible exclusive paintscheme in the two-pack which tempts you to buy it for the exclusive figure that won't appear by itself)

Sometimes it's a good idea (I actually don't mind it if it fixes the problems and flaws in the early editions - tighter joints and hinges for example or the shoulders on brawl being fixed) and sometimes its bad. (done on purpose so you end up having to sell the old one to upgrade to a new improved one because the old was less accurate or the quality wasn't good)

I'm pretty much finished with the movie line. Unless there is like a drastic discount on say leader prime or voyager prime or something and then that's it. Say what you will about michael bayformer fugliness but these are very good toys rivaling the masterpiece ones in accuracy and detailing. And the automorph gimmick is a cool idea.

Some of the fan painted customs on megatron are cool. I wish hasbro used the silvery paint more. Take out the light and sound gimmick and put all the money towards the paint. If they have to make Starscream an Ultra class to get him to look good as a jet without it snapping, then I say go for it. For me both modes have to look good.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

fistful of energon:

[Click to see hidden content]
It's kind of strange that SS isn't as successful in these later appearances at killing megatron than he was at the start of the series: I hope they, for a short time give the guy a break and let him succeed a bit more. Overall this was a good ep showing that although Megatron can't be killed easily by SS, SS is at least tricky enough to avoid capture. It makes him seem threatening and dangerous (because he won't take risks and is a little cowardly) without making him tougher than megatron physically.

Another thing I like: upgrades. Although prowl looks cooler with it on, the armour seems a little excessive for the skinny guy. It reminds me of how bumblebee got his little upgraded boosters but wasn't allowed to have them as standard. It's just too much for them to handle. Like giving a kid a grenade launcher that blows up in his own face if misused. :D I like how they show that the overuse of the upgrades can backfire if not controlled properly or used responsibly.
It's like the darkside of the force for the transformers. :) "you can play with all these cool powers, but it makes you just little bit more careless, more complacent and less aware of surroundings. If you get used to being spoiled by it due to being used to having it all the time, are you in fact relying less on your own skills now, and instead making yourself weaker and lazy?" ie you are more of a pussy for needing it/relying on it.

But if it gets the job done what difference would it make? Well the drawback being you have more destructive power, but then in the long run, you get addicted to having it, and think you are always too weak and need more of it - creating the cycle of craving better things and never being happy. "If only I had more powers..." similar to the bad guys who are driven mad by it at the expense of everyone else.

I bring this up because not too many robot shows focus on that aspect of the fighting. Where they will make the mistake of just spoiling the character with upgrades in specs, assuming this is going to make them necessarily more deep and interesting. Prime is essentially an un-upgraded ultra magnus in g1 after all. But as the leader it's his skills and intelligence and other things that make him stand out: the specs don't indicate full potential. You could have someone with high specs but just uses them poorly and loses to a low spec guy many times. The rating is meaningless if they don't do anything interesting, don't put themselves in a dangerous situation risking their life to test themselves, or don't get themselves into an interesting fight where they can get a win at something that actually matters/gets results. This is where you could have, say a tougher-looking guy like ultra magnus still seem really useless under pressure because he is not used to giving orders; and is uncertain; and hesitates despite being experienced. ...while at the same time you got a young guy with virtually no experience wanting to be a hero and taking initiative to fight the toughest bad guy without thought because it feels like the natural thing to do. (ie hotrod) A guy who will take chance is at least trying hard, even if he doesn't always succeed at something the first time.

I mean: Still being worried that you might fail to succeed like the hero, but yet, still acting anyway because of guts and determination rather than sitting there wasting time worrying about whether everyone else thinks you are worthy to have the title of leader. Having the best weapons/gadget/upgrade doesn't automatically make you the best person to be given them, if you don't make good usage of it. (good usage being: a) not having it work against you such as not having the skill to drive at the highest speed you can go. b) not being aware of the limits of the weapon given. c) skills degrading when you get used to having the best things instead of making do with the what you were given - working with strict limits and still getting good performance etc)
Last edited by GameHED on 02 Jun 2008 08:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

It's funny really, godmaster and victory are all about upgrades, upgrades makes the better bot. This ep just takes the piss out of it. I like that...

I haven't seen this weeks yet, my tv buddy is out of town... so I have to wait until she gets back before I can watch anything :(

Although I am watching Spider-Man without her, so nyeh!
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

But the whole idea of: "it takes balls to try to fight the toughest guy without worrying about what will happen to you" is what makes the hero, not the specs.

If you are going to take on something strong and get a heroic loss (which could have been a close win) then that's better than winning at beating some average or weak targets to get a point. That's what I mean by taking chances and risks where you will attempt to fight a higher speced guy without worrying about yourself, just because you care about stopping the bad guy, rather than whether you can win against them to look good and gain a reputation.

If you lose having taken the chance, (and giving yourself an opportunity to learn from your failure and gained a bit of knowledge from it about your personal limits - being one step closer to getting good enough to succeed next time) then I say that's better than just not taking the chance at all. And you can't test a person's character, if they don't do anything interesting onscreen which builds their character up.
You could say a weak low-speced guy who has survived countless fights is still a lot more important as a character, than a guy with the best weapons and gadgets who has high specs but doesn't show that competence through actions, through dangerous fights he has been involved in, or through application of the skills in a real situation. (eg starscream having speed but choosing to fight in a place where the speed doesn't get much use because it's in a built up city where you must fly slow. Or as another example: megatron having powerful cannon but wasting it on a small target that is weak (wasting an opportunity) instead of using it on a tough guy who poses a bigger threat.)

These "high specs" (high speed, tremendous firepower) are meaningless if the character in the show uses them badly due to bad luck, being pitted against a bad combination of people, or due to the personality of the character themself which can get in the way of them using their specs to the full potential where it leads to a useful win. (in this case Prowl focusing more on offensive power than defensive things like avoiding damage to things around him which is how autobots are going to fight if they give a crap about protecting people over trying to win a fight just to prove something to themselves)

The bad guys are interesting when they are actually allowed to cheat and pose a threat, while the good guys must fight with rules, and focus on limiting danger to innocent people which the bad guys don't give a crap about so they can abuse their power to get what they need. But because they fight to only to conquer, and get used to fighting against targets weaker than themselves, they tend to lose some of the skills they might have gained if they had tested themselves against something stronger and more powerful than themselves; throwing themselves at situations that are challenging and dangerous to their life. (ie where the skills and specs are more likely to be put into practice rather than wasted because they are overpowered guys fighting underpowered ones all the time. But you wouldn't have a good story if the good guys could cheat with constant upgrades. The heroes look good pitting themselves against tougher opponents and still winning; not by beating the enemy at their own game, but by succeeding in other ways: protecting each other and saving each others' lives, taking more chances(fighting against the odds), making good use of their limits eliminating wastage, better teamwork/tactics etc..

The general sense is that there is a challenge and they've got to push themselves to the limits just to survive. The autobots can't beat them at firepower alone because they would just be trying to beat them at their own game, (more destructive powers which is the easy path - forget freeing innocents, or preventing the enemy from getting more powerful) instead of coming up with their own unique way of winning. (requires more effort but it makes for a better story because they are pushing their limits and showing they can overcome challenges without constantly remaking themselves and boosting specs. This would only really work if it was part of the story itself and there was an arms race to get the best technology or something.)
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

big dimensional rift has just opened and now all but the last 2 eps of season 2 are available.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I think the time has come for me to buy some Autobot decals to put on the side of my car. A mate of mine replaced his Holden logo from the front with an Autobot logo, but I'm a bit hesitant to do that.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

2 ep season finale for TFA is out! OMG OMG OMG!!!
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Shit I've been lagging behind again.

Also I'm lagging behind spectacular spiderman eps too.

Shit shit shit.

But I did see the TFA toys are out. Simply put this is the best mass oroduced toy line made so far. Too bad classics never got this amount of attention put to them. But I reckon if they made a reboot of G1 and a toyline was based around that reboot, then a new generation of G1 fan would be born. Just don't use CG and go with a 2d cartoon.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

A mate of mine replaced his Holden logo from the front with an Autobot logo, but I'm a bit hesitant to do that.
It's because you are more of a decepticon fan isn't it?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Toys are out where? As in can we buy them over the counter here in AU?
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Oh that reminds me the last few eps I saw were just great.

Especially the one with Sari going all home alone on the constructicons. :D

Looks like they turned to the bad guys side after all..

Now let the dinobots fight them, should be an interesting match up. Much better than just having them appear in an ep for no reason, and then have them walk away. A whole episode of just fights is what I'm talking about! :D
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I like how Wasp is voiced by the guy who did Waspinator in Beastwars :D Also that they talk about Protoform Molds. Very cool. You could see Cliff Jumper in that ep too.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

GW:

Last I checked: Toys r us at Aspley Hypermarket (north side of brisbane) had them. I think they were all voyager class. Yes these were on a shelf with all the TF stuff ready to purchase.

This is where I first went to find the movie TF toys. Huge wall dedicated just to that right at the front.

But I think the TF area has been moved further away toward the back now. I should have mentioned it ages ago but I forgot. Why? Are they not available at other stores yet?

Are little kids crying over shortages again and old ladies getting pissed that they can't find toys thanks to all the ebay scalpers? :D
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I haven't seen any at Big W stafford yet... not that I was having a big look.

I might head up to the Hypermarket on the weekend and see what I can see.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Very cool. You could see Cliff Jumper in that ep too.
Cliffjumper was a lot less elite in g1. Seemed to like to attack first and then think about what he did later. Good to see competition between the clones. That was another really good episode showing us a little bit more of his character and why likes to just go alone to get recognition and to prove to himself that he is useful?

Maybe they'll make him like rattrap, and have an ep where all the autobots get captured and he has to go in singlehandedly, stop a bomb from blowing them all up, and sneak through all the security systems using his small size, speed and cunning, to save them all? Ever since the LA movie, it seems like BB has become the focus now.

Maybe people can identify with him more easily than prime? (he is the closest size to humans in g1)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I might head up to the Hypermarket on the weekend and see what I can see.
To save time and effort I tend to ring up any store before bothering to look. But if you are already there in a shopping centre just doing some shopping for other things, and it happens to be on the way then there is no need to of course.

I haven't read many reviews over which version** of each characters are the best (ie deluxe or voyager) so it might be worth also looking for reviews on youtube and stuff to make your decision. You can't tell what is worth buying just from the *box.

I never would have bought deluxe brawl if I knew later that leader class brawl was coming or that later versions of deluxe brawl would have the shoulder fix for example. (some characters might have some flaws on earlier runs)

*the boxes themselves are nice and cartoony and eyecatching too just like the toys.

**I mention this because I have heard some people liked the deluxe class versions of some character even more than the larger class. And I only saw voyagers.
Last edited by GameHED on 30 Jun 2008 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I really just want to get a Starscream. I'm totally gay for him :P

But it's not to far for me to drive, plus I can look at the video games.

I might have a look at some reviews and see which one is better. Thanks for the suggestion.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Just saying that research helps a bit.. Bulkhead for example: I don't know whether I like it better as leader class or voyager. No point buying the same basic thing twice right?

meh in the end we are all consumer whores being subliminally influenced to buy everything through subtle mind control so just forget why you buy stuff. (I'm just grumpy there is no movie F22 starscream that looks like a macross jet with a sleek underbelly :D)

I'll probably end up getting prowl with sidecar armor (skip the first release) and bulkhead (haven't decided which) and maybe SS. (more because I like the character)
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

GameHED, the season finale is so fucking awesome it's not funny. OH WOW!!! I cannot wait to buy this series.

With todays writers it really lifts this series above what the original G1 stuff was like.

Serioulsy, it is such a massive fan service and wow... just wow. It's fantastic. Just fantastic.
Last edited by GreyWizzard on 30 Jun 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juzbuffa
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
XBL ID: Juzbuffa1

Post by Juzbuffa »

Agreed Grey, that was a fucking wikkid last episode. The only thing that pissed me off was the fuckwit from cartoon network coming on and talking over the top of the piss funny credit roll.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen through your eyes...

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

yeah I yelled at my tv over that too.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Stop looking at me.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Still catching up!

I bet all the autobots die and waspinator from beast wars appeared out of the clouds to avenge all their deaths after going back in time to change the past.

TFA better than G1. Probably. Better than beast wars though?
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

GW: Just an update on TFA figures: I can confirm now that other places like *Target and *KMart have the voyager and deluxe class Figures. Big W however seemed to only have the one thing. A two pack set of TFA. (prime + megatron the battle begins)

rundown on what was there:

-deluxe ratchet
-deluxe prime
-deluxe prowl
-deluxe bumblebee
-deluxe lockdown
-voyager bulkhead
-voyager starscream
-voyager megatron (cybertronian form)

No Grimlock! So tempted to buy something because it was on sale but I spent money on a DS game on sale (Zelda Phantom Hourglass is on $40 now) and cheap PGR4 ($30) so I have to do without. Maybe wait until they release two-packs like what they are doing with the movie line now.

So yeah they are definitely on shelves now. And because there are toy sales going on now at all 3 of them, it would be good to take advantage of that.

*westfield chermside. Target strangely has them on an edge of the shelf where it is hard to see compared to the movie line which is on the long side of the shelf clearly visible. I would be good if they stocked masterpiece stuff again like MP starscream. Also saw some gears of war figures there.