RAHHH! BOOMY MAD! (computer problems, need help!)

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

RAHHH! BOOMY MAD! (computer problems, need help!)

Post by BOOMY »

My other computer(the better one, this is just a backup. you'll soon know why) has died again. It was long out of order as I was having major USB problems, finally I was over that frustration and fixed the bastard.

Okay, so today i turned it on.
No picture appeared on the monitor...it still had an orange led lit up.
I unplugged/replugged it from the computer, same deal. Unplugged/replugged it from the power and it returned with a green light...still same deal no picture.
I tried the monitor for this computer which reads 'no signal' when its unplugged from something. Upon plugging it in it came up with an orange led(the signal for when the computer is off i.e. it is a green led atm while the comp is on).
My conclusion, my computer is dead again. Possibly the video card.

it is also important to note this happened yesterday but I just turned the comp on and off and it was fine after that. Could this mean its something as simple as a loose videocard?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

are you sure that it's not just a resolution/refresh rate incompatibility?
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Well I wouldn't think so. I didn't change anything and it was working fine before.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

If it was a refresh rate issue. It wouldn't be occuring until it loaded Windows. But the impression the opening post gives me, is that it is occuring from the moment you press the power button (which indicates it's hardware or BIOS related).

In which case i'd open the PC up. Check that the memory and video card are both in properly. Check other connections... the power to the motherboard... etc.

Also, try resetting your BIOS. Back to default settings. If you still have the book to your motherboard... it might tell you how to. My last motherboard had a jumper which i switched, pressed the power button and nothing happened. I switched back and it would power on with default settings. But that was usually only required when i tried overclocking too much and the PC wouldn't POST.

If none of that fixes it... troubleshoot the best you can. If you have a spare video card with the same connection (PCI, AGP, PCI-E or whatever... it's not an ISA slot is it :P) then try that and see if you get a picture. If not, revert to the original video card and try changing the RAM.

Last resort. Turn it upside down. A PC at work keeps resetting from the slightest touch... but having turned it upside down i can kick the shit out of it and it won't power down. Probably a loose wire shorting it out. Not sure... but since the days of the PSX flipping electronics upside down has done wonders :thumbsup:
Reka

Post by Reka »

LMAO - I used to do the same thing with my PSX. I even had a little cushion for it so I could put it on certain angles if upside-down didn't work. :)

Ummmmm - to me it sounds like the video card isn't in properly. I get the same thing with my PC every now and then. Of course, the fact that I don't have the casing on my PC doesn't help the issue of the video card getting knocked loose occasionally.....
brent

Post by brent »

My bet is the motherboard is dead.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

My bet is the motherboard is dead.
Not enough of a computer kid to work out if thats tongue in cheek but everything can be heard to be 'working' inside as if its starting up normally. So no.

Ill get to checking shit is plugged in prolly sometime tonight, let you know how it goes.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Spray some metho into it.

RP7 is also pretty good.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

"The way you please women" thread is elsewhere, bud.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

My mistake.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

pressed space by mistake(which turns the comp on) and it was magically fixed. so i guess no card twiddling for the moment. let u know wat happens