Up the Mighty Liberals! #inmalcolmwetrust

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: Up the Mighty Liberals! #inmalcolmwetrust

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Madmya wrote:Lol at the tip-toeing around the Islamic response in western Sydney.
The ABC ran a feature on their PM show yesterday about the majority 'no' vote from immigrant communities including audio from local Arabic radio station talk-back. Antony Green was on later outlining why the majority 'no' western Sydney seats vote Labor despite being so socially conservative.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Yeah the media are reporting on it, that's how I know about it, but I guess I was more intrigued at the lack of criticism because we've been so keen to drop the B word on everyone and everything previously.

I saw two pieces specifically relating to this yesterday, one from the ABC and the other from Fairfax, and both promoted understanding. The hypocrisy just astounds me.

It's also very interesting they vote Labor. In my mind it's clearly for economic reasons rather than social, since I think the only bearing we have on their communities is with free handouts. But I will seek out what the media has had to say on this issue.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Nope, dick all people are talking about it. Ambrose probably would have piped up about it if QLD had the highest proportion of No voters. I did find Antony Green's comments and they were disappointingly superficial.
Blaxland MP Jason Clare (ALP), whose constituents voted overwhelmingly for no, confirmed he still intended to vote in favour of a same-sex marriage bill.
"I'm not surprised, Blaxland is a very socially conservative electorate," he said.
"I've always known the views of my electorate on this issue and I've always been upfront with them about mine.
"Good people with good hearts can have different views on this important issue."
Oh!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

After postal vote, we will never think of western Sydney the same way again

Andy Marks

Who will defend the rights of pastry chefs who "conscientiously object" to baking a cake for a gay wedding, implored Liberal senator James Paterson during the same sex marriage survey campaign.

With the results in, some parliamentarians will no doubt choose to contend with that very question. But a far more intriguing and important scenario has emerged on the back on the survey outcome. One that has much broader political and social implications.

Nearly 62 per cent of Australians said "yes" to same sex marriage but western Sydney "left the cake out in the rain". Just on 56 per cent of the region's survey respondents said no.

Why did western Sydney overwhelmingly vote "no"? And what does it say about changing attitudes and voter behaviour in Australia's most keenly contested political battleground?

Here's the breakdown on the across western Sydney's 10 federal electorates. On the "no" side of the ledger: Blaxland 73.9 per cent, Chifley 58.7, Fowler 63.7, Greenway 53.6, McMahon 64.9, Mitchell 50.9 and Werriwa 63.7 per cent.
Barring Mitchell, "no" dominated in all Labor held seats. Longstanding MPs, Jason Clare, Ed Husic, Chris Hayes, Michelle Rowland and Chris Bowen might well be considering the implications with respect to the social dimension of the party's broader policies. Or not.

Interestingly, "yes" reigned in the only three western Sydney electorates to change hands in the July 2016 election: Lindsay at 56.2 per cent, Macarthur 52.1 and Macquarie 63.9 per cent. Occupied by first-time Labor MPs, Emma Husar, Dr Mike Freelander and Susan Templeman, these are areas on the region's outer fringe: Penrith, Campbelltown, the Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury. The same sex survey results at this edge, reflect those returned throughout Sydney's east, most tellingly for Tony Abbott at Warringah, 75 per cent.

A pattern is emerging. Sydney is aligning itself into three cities, not of the spatial variety recently unveiled by the Greater Sydney Commission but an ideological shape characterised by a socially conservative core bracketed by two small 'l' liberal arcs.

Whether the survey results are an advanced warning for the seismic voter shifts we have seen in, for example, Britain, the US or parts of Europe remains to be seen. They do, however, tell us something new about the change in traditional and long-held assumptions about western Sydney. In this case, I hate to say it, but the cake metaphor just doesn't cut it. It doesn't slice enough ways.

For whatever reason "no" voters across western Sydney did not identify the "yes" case. "Let's get it done" failed to move the majority of survey respondents west of Olympic Park. "Let's not," they replied. They just didn't see themselves in the campaign, nor the message.

Take a look at the most resolute opponents of change. For 78,332 of Blaxland's 104,435 survey respondents, the prospect of legislative change on same sex marriage was a bridge too far. What makes their attitude so different to that of the rest of the nation? Census data goes some way to addressing that question.

Marriage rates in Blaxland are higher but so is the proportion of couples separated.

The proportion of the electorate's residents enrolled in university or tertiary education is higher than the NSW and national average but the level of qualification attained lags, slightly.

Religion is a point of significant divergence. Only 13.4 per cent of Blaxland residents describe themselves as having "no religion" compared to 25.1 and 29.1 per cent at the state and national levels.

Linguistically, the difference is similarly pointed with 25.5 per cent of the electorate's households speaking "English only" at home contrasting with NSW and Australian averages of over 68 per cent.
Household income levels are low as are rates of home and motor vehicle ownership. Unemployment is well above state and national levels.

These figures do not resolve the question as to why Blaxland or any other western Sydney electorate voted no. Same sex marriage supporter, Jason Clare eschewed statistical rationales to observe, "Sometimes people with good hearts can have different views".

Compare Blaxland's response with the resounding yes vote in Macquarie and one thing is clear. The days of referring to the region as a homogenous whole are over. We'll never see "that recipe again".
Instead of engaging with an incredibly complex debate on cultural values with the sophistication it deserves, we ask "who will think of the cake makers". It's time to recognise the consequences, political and otherwise, of the shifting epicentre of Australian conservative values.

Dr Andy Marks is assistant vice-chancellor at Western Sydney University.
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/after-pos ... zm79c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Talk about tip-toeing! After taking an eternity to get to the point, he then comes up with the "These figures do not resolve the question as to why Blaxland or any other western Sydney electorate voted no.". How'd this guy get a PhD? He suggests it may be something similar to that happening in Europe and the US, i.e. the rise of the far right vote, but these are ALP-held strongholds. This guy...
Last edited by Madmya on 16 Nov 2017 01:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

He found it in a cake.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Even if all Muslims in Australia voted, and voted no, they're still outnumbered more than 10 to 1 by non-Muslims who voted no. Why do you think that the media should be focusing so hard on Muslims?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Call a spade a spade, Hercy. If they're going to question what's going on in Western Sydney - answer it. It's really not difficult to come to a plausible conclusion. We've had a campaign of anyone who votes no must be <insert socially-aligned buzzword>, there's been a nauseating amount of virtue signalling, yet these same people are completely silent on this. I'll never understand the protection the left gives Islam.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

EVERYONES A BIGOT WHO VOTES NO nek minute nearly all areas that vote no are Labor heartlands WHAT A GREAT POSTAL VOTE THE BEST YEAH NOTHING TO SEE HERE NO ONES A BIGOT ANYMORE. :lol:

That academic you posted an article to sums up how backwards higher education is these days. Lots of words but just unable to go against his world's groupthink to call a spade a spade, it's no different to when someone mows down people in their car, yells out Allah Ahkbar and everyone on CNN cannot for the life of them work out the guys motives, we just don't know they say.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Muslim Privilege.....
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

All this says to me is that if you think you're liberal minded you should probably consider actually voting Liberal.
Alternatively, if you vote Labor but consider yourself liberal-minded, you have a bit of work ahead of you to change the mindset of those with the same political affiliation as you.

OR - I vote liberal because I am liberal.
Last edited by Cletus on 16 Nov 2017 06:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Haha yep, the LNP - the economically conservative, socially progressive party.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Bill Shorten must be wrapped (rapt?)that he didn't have to go through with his grandstanding about SSM. If he had gone to an election with this, he might have lost. As it is, he can just say more empty things and not actually do anything. Good old lucky honest Bill.
Last edited by Cletus on 16 Nov 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I told you guys, it's the dink factor.

All the liberal seats are expensive to live areas, gay couples have higher incomes because of no kids and 2 men will earn more than a regular couple statistically. Because people in the electorate see them in their community, they're more sympathetic.

My wife voted yes, she doesn't agree with it but she said love is love, her vote was sympathetic.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Got a text message from GetUp a couple of days ago. They wanted my opinion on some kind of liberal promise to Adani for their mine in QLD. This shit is out of hand. At least I could reply with a piece of my mind.

Mediscare campaign
Two from the Yes campaign
GetUp.

I'm curious if it's all originating from the same place.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Add another 2 robo-calls to the list. One was practically identical to the SMS from GetUp so I'm accusing them, the other sounded like it was from the ALP. No respect. LNP sent an SMS on election day, but at least had the courtesy of providing opt-out links which included a link to complain about spam.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Thought it was illegal not to have opt-out links? Poor form.

One Nation getting as hammered as they probably can be in Queensland (14% of the vote c'mon people). Malcolm "GameHED" Roberts finally gone. All is well :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

Hahahahaha.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The very anti-gay marriage (and pro-family values) & god-fearing Barnaby Joyce has just been exposed for secretly fucking his 33 year old staff member and now she's 7 months pregnant (and oops..Barnaby is still legally married to his wife of 24 years). :P

I love when so-called Christian men who demand the authority to dictate how complete strangers live their lives...are exposed for the lying & hypocritical pieces of shit they really are! :up:

Lestat (aka - GR's most vocal anti-gay rights campaigner)...YOU'RE NEXT!!! :evil:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

lolz... look out lestat!

:roofcat:
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I do like it when a hypocrite is exposed like this.

Next I hope we discover that GameHED works for ASIO.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Just imagining how that affair even started is a horror show.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Hahahah using whore as a derogatory term when that is your career.

Need I remind everyone that love is love.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

The phrase "Do as I say.. not as I do" has never been more relevant.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Rough! His mistress is no prize pig but she's not a man.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

his staffer knew he was married.. slept with him anyway.. their choice.. not my problem.

The problem I have is that Barnaby Joyce was one stand out opponent of same sex marriage. This is a man who wanted to protect the sanctity of marriage and yet had no qualms about fucking someone other than his wife, getting them knocked up and then leaving his wife.

The hypocrisy is delicious.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Jasper wrote: I love when so-called Christian men who demand the authority to dictate how complete strangers live their lives...are exposed for the lying & hypocritical pieces of shit they really are! :up:

Lestat (aka - GR's most vocal anti-gay rights campaigner)...YOU'RE NEXT!!! :evil:
Penny Wong has been caught being hypocritical several times, you're dealing with politicians here where they serve greater masters, they're also narcissistic types who are usually self serving and lust power/control.

Not surprised and for the record I never wished to deny rights, I just wanted them to be named differently.