Up the Mighty Liberals! #inmalcolmwetrust

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Re: Up the Mighty Liberals! #inmalcolmwetrust

Post by stanard »

Gutter journalism for gutter politics!
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

13 seconds in...
-----
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

:rollin:
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Solid effort in South Australia.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

From Wikipedia:
Asked about progressive political issues in 2011 such as same sex marriage, stem-cell research, euthanasia and abortion, Malinauskas said his personal views would be "considered socially conservative" and went on to state "I didn't get involved in the Australian labour movement because of any of these issues. I believe in the fair go but I get frustrated with left-wing ideology that focuses more on imposing equality than providing for equality of opportunity. This is why I'm passionate about Australian education − universal access to quality schooling gives everyone the chance to succeed".[1]

Asked about nuclear power in South Australia, Malinauskas in 2014 said he was pro-nuclear despite Labor at the time remaining opposed to the establishment of a new nuclear waste repository or nuclear power plant in South Australia. Malinauskas stated "I believe climate change is a real challenge we need to face up to, and nuclear energy can be a safe source of base load power, with zero carbon emissions" and "we should have a mature debate based on science and economics to determine if a nuclear industry is viable in South Australia". In March 2015 Labor initiated a Nuclear Fuel Cycle Royal Commission,[10] and in 2016 launched a "Get to know nuclear" campaign to further explore the commission's findings. In October 2016 at the South Australian Labor party conference, Malinauskas spoke of the protesters who had gathered outside in opposition to the establishment of new nuclear waste storage facilities. He told delegates: "The difference between us and them, of course, is that we take very seriously our obligation to make sure that our ideology is underpinned by evidence."[11]
I mean, shit, he'd probably get my vote too.
Ambrose Burnside

I prefer my centrists non-factionally aligned :P

Not sure what the Libs did wrong in SA but then again I'm not overly familiar with South Australian state politics. Labor seemed to run a scare campaign based on hospital ramping, which is surely an issue everywhere? Covid seems to be a non-issue in the election as South Australia seemed to navigate that quite well.

One term wonders after 16 years (four terms) of Labor AND enjoying the usual benefits of incumbency during a pandemic? Wild.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I don't know what the specifics were about either. They were quite strict on their handling of COVID, weren't they? That probably wasn't playing into their voter base, and it may be a backlash from LNP voters (I'm just guessing, I don't know). But it's an interesting result.

The new leader seems well-adjusted to me anyway.
Ambrose Burnside

I think they opened up at 80% double dosed which was the standard approach, but I don't know what they did internally before that.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I have no idea what caused such a wild swing. I didn't really guage much of an appetite for change in the community.

But here my theories.

Firstly, after the election prior to the last one, the electoral commission redrew the electorate boundaries, leaving the then-labor government on the back foot. Basically, if the 2018 election was held the next day, and everybody voted exactly the way they did previously, the Liberals would have shat it in. But they still had a swing against them.

Next, Marshall went to that election with a promise to not sell the train & tram network. And then he did just that.

And finally, while the ambulance ramping is certainly a nationwide issue, the Liberals repeated a mistake they already made back in 2010 (I think). They promised to build a new sport stadium instead of fixing something broken in the health system (previously, they got slaughtered when they wanted to build a new football stadium in the CBD instead of a new hospital to replace a rotting old RAH). Basically, the Liberals in SA have a big task record of deprioritising health and selling public assets, which doesn't seem to be appreciated here.

Most reasonable South Australian voters will say that Marshall did a mostly alright job with covid, but the last few months were a major misstep. Opening up "for summer" in the face of a big wave of a much more contagious variant was a real catch-22 situation. He'd have been slammed either way, so I don't think it's as big a deal as some people might day.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by stanard »

GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Well.

Isn't this thread title a mood then innit? :D
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by stanard »

Thank fuck though....and thanks WA!

Even my seat (Berowra) had a 5% swing after 2PP to ALP, and 8% swing on first preference against the libs, which I was not expecting at all...especially as the ALP candidate was only confirmed 4 weeks ago and looks like he is 26 going on 15 :lol:. This seat has always been a Lib stronghold since it was created in the 60s. I did think maybe the Greens would've had a stronger vote here, as they did almost take out Ruddock in the local council elections last year, but oh well.

Obviously the whole Kristina Keneally thing was a major fuck up though, and hopefully ALP learn from that. I actually think she would've been a great choice to take on Julian Leeser here in my seat, but I get they they wanted to give her a nice safe seat :oops:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Labor were always gonna win, would think it's pretty rare to win after this long and what 4th election in fed gov in aus? Mabye Menzies did it? Not exactly a resounding win as they struggle to form a majority government with the lowest primary vote ever after 9 years and up against fkn Scomo who couldn't get out of his own way most of the term. They'll either go to the polls early for another snap election to shore up the support or Albanese having to come good on the deals he's made in the party to keep the leadership will have a hard time not being a one termer, there's just no margin. If he doesn't stay strong he'll push up our energy prices Biden style with his policies to the Greens/"independents" and supercharge the inflation etc.

Shorten must be going like wtf too, he couldn't win when he got a higher everything lol. 2PP voting is shit.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

So many people voting for the Greens is a pretty big concern. Labor need to be worried they'll lose more seats, and need to point out their crazy.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

The Greens ran effective campaigns in Brisbane.. The fact that they toppled Terri Butler is impressive.... but also not surprising since the ALP campaign was fearmongering and flat out lying to people lining up to vote.