Up the Mighty Liberals! #inmalcolmwetrust

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Talez wrote:I wonder who I can support with the demise of the democrats.

Apart from nuclear power they were pretty much my views.
Mmm yeah I am fucked next state election... unless they run again not sure if they still have any state politicians? I would assume not.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

When it comes to policy Howard wasn’t for anything unless it represented opportunity for him or his mates. The only consistent vehicle Howard demonstrated was ideology-based ie: the calculated demonising of less powerful/affluent groups based on race, religion, sexuality etc. and the dishonest methods employed by him and those loyal to him to capitalise on and proliferate redneck ignorance. Unfortunately for him everything sounds old eventually and despite the succession agreement he shook hands on with Costello in 1994 ffs he clings on to the bitter end in 2007 and in the process obliterates his party and even loses his own seat. Given what an evil, deluded cunt he is it’s the most likely end really and for me personally I could not have scripted a more fitting demise.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

that pretty much fits in with my thoughts
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'd have thought it pretty funny if the Coalition won the election, but Howard lost his seat.

Re: the SA state election though, I really do with there were a third party to vote for, because really, both major parties here suck and blow. Rann's almost as calculating as Howard was, and the opposition is only after scoring cheap points with no real policies.
A new sporting stadium? An upgrade to the AAMI stadium? Fuck off, there's major sponsorship for a reason. There's membership fees for a reason. Try paying your players less and saving up for upgrades yourself, you greedy fucks. We need a desal plant and much more funding for public transport, ffs.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

Peppermint Lounge wrote: Given what an evil, deluded cunt he is it’s the most likely end really and for me personally I could not have scripted a more fitting demise.
Jeez louise there are some bitter people out there aren't there. Still whinging about what HE was responsible for after the man has been voted out no less. What did he do that made him an 'evil and deluded cunt'?(emotive language much?).
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:When it comes to policy Howard wasn’t for anything unless it represented opportunity for him or his mates. The only consistent vehicle Howard demonstrated was ideology-based ie: the calculated demonising of less powerful/affluent groups based on race, religion, sexuality etc. and the dishonest methods employed by him and those loyal to him to capitalise on and proliferate redneck ignorance. Unfortunately for him everything sounds old eventually and despite the succession agreement he shook hands on with Costello in 1994 ffs he clings on to the bitter end in 2007 and in the process obliterates his party and even loses his own seat. Given what an evil, deluded cunt he is it’s the most likely end really and for me personally I could not have scripted a more fitting demise.
This is approx. 9238742938742938749 times more cogent and descriptive than 'they've got blinkers on'.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Enjoying your circle jerk Vzzz?
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

:laugh:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:When it comes to policy Howard wasn’t for anything unless it represented opportunity for him or his mates.
Yep, we should punish successful people by taxing them ridiculous amounts. Evil cunts they are.

Hmm, but while we're at it we can punish low-income earners and students by putting on an alcopop tax that'll be disguised as fighting young binge drinkers. Awesome plan.

Fuck Howard was an evil cunt. He had so many of those cunt moments I can't even remember one of them.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

taxing alcopops vs killing 90,000 iraqis
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

Those Aussie soldiers have a great strike rate.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Vzzzbx wrote:taxing alcopops vs killing 90,000 iraqis
:lol: :lol: Is that what this is about?

:lol:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

well, it's a far smaller evil, that's for sure.

...not that most people care about that, because Iraq is so far away, and global warming isn't going to affect them, but jeez it's hot! I'd like a drink, but I can't afford alcohol because of this new tax; the price of petrol has gone up so much that I just can't pay for both that and my weekly carton of Beam & Cola. Fucking Kevin Rudd! Who the fuck voted for that cunt? At least John Howard would have kept petrol prices low and made sure I could afford my grog!
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
mech

Post by mech »

It's not even hot, it's freaking cold (there was a massive drop in global temperature this year) and temperatures have apparently not gone up since 1998.

Also the Iraq War had very non-evil justifications for it. Because gee, no one was getting tortured or killed under Saddam's regime. Recent gains over there would suggest that it's not all for nothing. I suggest having a read of http://www.michaeltotten.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for some great unbiased on the ground reporting.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

mech wrote:It's not even hot, it's freaking cold (there was a massive drop in global temperature this year) and temperatures have apparently not gone up since 1998.

Yes, because climate change clearly means the temperature will rise smoothly and globally. I wasn't referring to that when I said "jeez it's hot" anyway... It's winter, ffs! I'm shivering my arse off here! :(
Also the Iraq War had very non-evil justifications for it. Because gee, no one was getting tortured or killed under Saddam's regime.
Really? I heard absolutely nothing about those as justifications for invading Iraq. Quick, to the Bushmobile! We must invade Zimbabwe!
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

unfnknblvbl wrote:Quick, to the Bushmobile! We must invade Zimbabwe!
:lol:
mech

Post by mech »

If you're alluding to the theory that the US invaded Iraq simply for oil, how do you explain Afghanistan and Kosovo to name two countries the US has invaded recently? Or Panama to go back further?

Are you saying the US should invade every country which has domestic issues?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Regardless of the US's intentions, I'm downright certain Howard had Australia's best interest at heart when we went.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Madmya wrote:
Peppermint Lounge wrote:When it comes to policy Howard wasn’t for anything unless it represented opportunity for him or his mates.
Yep, we should punish successful people by taxing them ridiculous amounts. Evil cunts they are.

Hmm, but while we're at it we can punish low-income earners and students by putting on an alcopop tax that'll be disguised as fighting young binge drinkers. Awesome plan.

Fuck Howard was an evil cunt. He had so many of those cunt moments I can't even remember one of them.
My reference to policy applies generally however I mentioned it after reading a suggestion that Howard was pro-nuclear. Howard's sudden public open-mindedness regarding nuclear energy coincides with Ron Walker, powerful business man and once honorary treasurer of the Liberal Party, registering a company called Australian Nuclear Energy Pty Ltd. Ron Walker discussed with Howard his intention to start the company.

Alcopops hahaha - current affairs according to Madmya. The Howard government created a loophole by amending the tax system for pre-mixed alcoholic drinks so they were taxed less than more potent standard spirit drinks. The industry were quick to exploit it and the market was flooded with 7 and 8% strength pre-mixed drinks. The lower rate of tax meant they were cheaper and so became the choice of young people and/or low income earners. These products are designed, packaged and marketed to people who want to get smashed asap. Given the level of alcohol abuse and associated problems in Australia I don't see anything bad about these products copping a tax slug.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

BruceCamblzChin wrote:
Peppermint Lounge wrote: Given what an evil, deluded cunt he is it’s the most likely end really and for me personally I could not have scripted a more fitting demise.
Jeez louise there are some bitter people out there aren't there. Still whinging about what HE was responsible for after the man has been voted out no less. What did he do that made him an 'evil and deluded cunt'?(emotive language much?).
Neither whinging nor emotive. It is written with the same calmness I'd have if commenting on the weather. If I gave you examples would it make a difference? It never ceases to amaze that young people in 2008 could like John Howard.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

mech wrote:It's not even hot, it's freaking cold (there was a massive drop in global temperature this year) and temperatures have apparently not gone up since 1998.
I'm actually really suprised that you're a climate change sceptic. The view that warming stopped in 1998 is pretty widely discredited based on statistical analysis.
mech

Post by mech »

Link?

Calling me a "climate change skeptic" isn't quite right... the climate has been changing, but then, doesn't it always? The little ice age only just ended 150-200 years ago. Human kind lived through a real ice age, no? What's to say that warming is all bad with no good? What's to say that it will actually continue on this supposed "hockey puck" trend? Only 30 years ago we were worried we were entering a new ice age. People are amazingly poor at predicting the future weather and climate. I think we've got bigger things to worry about than carbon output. And people that blame everything on global warming drive me nuts - I read the other day that recent "extreme weather" events are well within statistical variability:

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/3850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1. The severe weather of this spring across the Northern Hemisphere was caused by cooler weather not warmer. 2. The IPCC and the NOAA positions that severe weather will increase with global warming is scientifically wrong. 3. The records show current weather extremes are well within long term natural variability.
Tracee Hutchison wrote in the Age this week:
But it was raining and blowing a gale — probably because of climate change.
Yep, never had weather like that in Melbourne in winter before :roll:
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

Agreed, mech. I feel much the same way about global warming. I don't doubt it's real, but I do question some of the Henny Penny predictions that are thrown about.

It does irk me that any big weather event now is put down to global warming. Take Katrina as an example. It was a huge storm, yes, but that area of the world gets storms like that on a yearly basis. Yet there are some people who point to the damage caused by the storm as a sign of what is to come with global warming. Yet, what happened in New Orleans had everything to do with poor city planning and inadequate dike engineering - nothing to do with climate change.

My point is, whilst most of the science behind climate change is probably correct, such as effects on storms, the way some people present these facts often strikes me as over the top and in some cases may even be borderline dishonest. I think they're trying too hard to scare people - and it might backfire.
mech

Post by mech »

Well it's like how Garnaut claimed in his report we're the highest per capita carbon emitters which isn't true. Much as I dislike to link to an Andrew Bolt blog post, but here it is:

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... to_deceit/

Good article here about that pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole thing:

http://www.edge.org/documents/archive/e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... tml#dysonf
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

I really don't have the patience for an internet link war, suffice to say that my overall impression is that the more credible sources suggest that there is no reason why elevated carbon dioxide levels won't cause adverse climate change for most countries. The fact that you've had to reluctantly refer to Andrew Bolt is case in point.

I think that the insurance and re-insurance industry would disgree with you that the incidence of severe weather events isn't on the increase.

A lot of the doomsday predictions get coverage because fear mongering is the bread and butter of news services. The more reasonable predictions are around 3 to 4 degrees of warming by 2100 which would still be disasterous for biodiversity.

Also I find the attitude by people like Andrew Bolt that Australia shouldn't do anything about CO2 emissions because we're dwarfed by India/China to be so despicable. A country with as many wealthy citizens as Australia (no matter how many people want to whinge about food and petrol prices) really needs to take leadership to demonstrate the technologies and reduce the cost through economies of scale, so that India/China no longer see coal as the cheap solution.