Up the Mighty Liberals! #inmalcolmwetrust

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

mech wrote:If you're alluding to the theory that the US invaded Iraq simply for oil, how do you explain Afghanistan and Kosovo to name two countries the US has invaded recently?
I believe the official pretext for invasion was "Weapons Of Mass Destruction" - of which, Saddam Hussein clearly had none, just like he was saying.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Yep, because faulty intelligence has never happened before. How was it "clear" he had none btw?

And, um, how is that evil anyway? The guy was a nutter - two failed wars against his neighbouring states, disrupting and trying to conquer the region that supplies us with a huge proportion of our energy requirements. Is that not a good reason to stop him?
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Hans Blix preferred alternatives to a full-scale invasion.
mech wrote:If you're alluding to the theory that the US invaded Iraq simply for oil, how do you explain Afghanistan and Kosovo to name two countries the US has invaded recently? Or Panama to go back further?
Afghanistan: oil
Kosovo: not bush
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:It never ceases to amaze that young people in 2008 could like John Howard.
The thing about the lowest common denominator is that there's loads of them.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

I reckon the solution to these international relations problems(by that I mean Western and Muslim countries) is to leave people the fuck alone unless they ask for help. Difficult I know with the amont of business done in the region but the people in that region have seen off that many invading/occupying forces over the centuries and they are not about lose now and readily embrace democracy when they are a theocracy. Separation of chrch and state isn;t part of their culture so lest try to stop forcing it on them.

Re: Saddam, he was a murdering cunt who broke UN regulations so no probs smashing him IMO.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:
Madmya wrote:
Peppermint Lounge wrote:When it comes to policy Howard wasn’t for anything unless it represented opportunity for him or his mates.
Yep, we should punish successful people by taxing them ridiculous amounts. Evil cunts they are.

Hmm, but while we're at it we can punish low-income earners and students by putting on an alcopop tax that'll be disguised as fighting young binge drinkers. Awesome plan.

Fuck Howard was an evil cunt. He had so many of those cunt moments I can't even remember one of them.
My reference to policy applies generally however I mentioned it after reading a suggestion that Howard was pro-nuclear. Howard's sudden public open-mindedness regarding nuclear energy coincides with Ron Walker, powerful business man and once honorary treasurer of the Liberal Party, registering a company called Australian Nuclear Energy Pty Ltd. Ron Walker discussed with Howard his intention to start the company.

Alcopops hahaha - current affairs according to Madmya. The Howard government created a loophole by amending the tax system for pre-mixed alcoholic drinks so they were taxed less than more potent standard spirit drinks. The industry were quick to exploit it and the market was flooded with 7 and 8% strength pre-mixed drinks. The lower rate of tax meant they were cheaper and so became the choice of young people and/or low income earners. These products are designed, packaged and marketed to people who want to get smashed asap. Given the level of alcohol abuse and associated problems in Australia I don't see anything bad about these products copping a tax slug.
So you're pretty much assuming that Howard's interest in nuclear energy was purely because he was scratching his mate's back? :loco:

The thing about alcopops is that it won't do anything to stop binge drinking. Case in point: my housemates younger sister (18) went with her friends to buy some drinks only to find that whatever they were getting cost $80/carton. 'Fuck that' they said and bought a bottle of vodka, bag of goon and lemonade and made jungle juice. +1 for stopping binge drinking!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Vzzzbx wrote:
Peppermint Lounge wrote:It never ceases to amaze that young people in 2008 could like John Howard.
The thing about the lowest common denominator is that there's loads of them.
Isn't labor all about the lowest common denominator?
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

That would follow, they did get voted in!
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 76406.html
"I think that two things have begun to implant themselves in the minds of the Australian people. The first is the absolutely dishonest and pathetic attempt by (Labor) that somehow they (inherited) an economic mess. They have no shame," Mr Howard said.

"How members of a political party that left us with the enormous problems we inherited should dare to do that ...

"(The second is) the new Prime Minister doesn't seem to have a theme. Politics is about conviction. Politics is not just about the joy of being in government.

"But you seem to get the impression that my successor is more interested in the process of government than the opportunity of leadership that government provides."
:clap:
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

(The second is) the new Prime Minister doesn't seem to have a theme. Politics is about conviction. Politics is not just about the joy of being in government.
Man, Howard couldn't have uttered a more stunning example of hypocrisy if he tried.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Man, Howard couldn't have said it better.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Madmya wrote:So you're pretty much assuming that Howard's interest in nuclear energy was purely because he was scratching his mate's back? :loco:
No I'm not. My post states explicitly Howard made it a public adgenda item when Ron Walker started Australian Nuclear Energy P/L. Simple as that. Whether it is in fact policy Howard is personally/morally attached to it's not something he raised in his decades of public office prior to that.
The thing about alcopops is that it won't do anything to stop binge drinking. Case in point: my housemates younger sister (18) went with her friends to buy some drinks only to find that whatever they were getting cost $80/carton. 'Fuck that' they said and bought a bottle of vodka, bag of goon and lemonade and made jungle juice. +1 for stopping binge drinking!
So what? That's after the fact. The fact being there was a tax loophole blatantly exploited by the alcohol industry and that loophole is now plugged. Of course binge drinking will continue as it always has but alcopops which as mentioned are deliberately targetted at young people and low income earners deserve all they get.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

BruceCamblzChin wrote:Re: Saddam, he was a murdering cunt who broke UN regulations so no probs smashing him IMO.
As opposed to Bush, who did not have UN backing to invade Iraq and kill however many people?
mech wrote:Yep, because faulty intelligence has never happened before. How was it "clear" he had none btw?

And, um, how is that evil anyway? The guy was a nutter - two failed wars against his neighbouring states, disrupting and trying to conquer the region that supplies us with a huge proportion of our energy requirements. Is that not a good reason to stop him?
How clear? I'd say very clear, as none have yet been found. Hell, there's not even any evidence that he ever had any "weapons of mass destruction"

...and how is it evil? How about using it as a false pretext for the war? How would you like it if Bush decided to invade Australia because Rudd was hiding WMDs, but then later turn around anc dlaim that "Oh, it's all good now - it turns out we saved them all from taxes on alcohol and high fuel prices" - fair enough, it's a different thing entirely, but it's still a false pretext for the war in the first place, yeah?

Faulty intelligence may have happened before, but in this case, there were people all along saying "hey, this isn't right; check these details here" and the like, but nope, there's WMDs in them thar hills! Blind arrogance was the rule of the day, and Howard just went along with it without doing any of his own checking.

Do you really think people would have kicked up as much of a fuss if the reason for the war was really promoted (before the fact) as being "to free the Iraqi people from Saddam Hussein's tyrrany"? (probably yes, actually; pacificts are a fickle bunch...)

...but then, if it was all about deposing Saddam Hussein, why didn't they just send in a Black Ops mission to get the guy, and members of his cabinet? Easier, cheaper, quieter, less collateral damage.

...and I'm still waiting for the armed mission to Zimbabwe...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

unfnknblvbl wrote:
mech wrote:Yep, because faulty intelligence has never happened before. How was it "clear" he had none btw?
How clear? I'd say very clear, as none have yet been found. Hell, there's not even any evidence that he ever had any "weapons of mass destruction"
Funny how we knew this before the invasion started.
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Also rather pathetic of howard to plead for the Liberals to not forget their roots when he's the reason his party is a powerless mess.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

Howard in hypocritical nonsense shock!
mech

Post by mech »

Hercy wrote:I really don't have the patience for an internet link war, suffice to say that my overall impression is that the more credible sources suggest that there is no reason why elevated carbon dioxide levels won't cause adverse climate change for most countries. The fact that you've had to reluctantly refer to Andrew Bolt is case in point.

I think that the insurance and re-insurance industry would disgree with you that the incidence of severe weather events isn't on the increase.

A lot of the doomsday predictions get coverage because fear mongering is the bread and butter of news services. The more reasonable predictions are around 3 to 4 degrees of warming by 2100 which would still be disasterous for biodiversity.

Also I find the attitude by people like Andrew Bolt that Australia shouldn't do anything about CO2 emissions because we're dwarfed by India/China to be so despicable. A country with as many wealthy citizens as Australia (no matter how many people want to whinge about food and petrol prices) really needs to take leadership to demonstrate the technologies and reduce the cost through economies of scale, so that India/China no longer see coal as the cheap solution.
Here's one of many articles from the 70s that shows how flawed and unreliable our ability to interpret and predict the weather from scientific data is.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 14,00.html

Backing yourself up with nothing but a swipe against Andrew Bolt is pretty lame. Why would a warmer climate be disastrous for biodiversity? Do you really think the climate of the world never changes?
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

unfnknblvbl wrote:
BruceCamblzChin wrote:Re: Saddam, he was a murdering cunt who broke UN regulations so no probs smashing him IMO.
As opposed to Bush, who did not have UN backing to invade Iraq and kill however many people?

...and how is it evil? How about using it as a false pretext for the war? How would you like it if Bush decided to invade Australia because Rudd was hiding WMDs, but then later turn around anc dlaim that "Oh, it's all good now - it turns out we saved them all from taxes on alcohol and high fuel prices" - fair enough, it's a different thing entirely, but it's still a false pretext for the war in the first place, yeah?

Faulty intelligence may have happened before, but in this case, there were people all along saying "hey, this isn't right; check these details here" and the like, but nope, there's WMDs in them thar hills! Blind arrogance was the rule of the day, and Howard just went along with it without doing any of his own checking.

Do you really think people would have kicked up as much of a fuss if the reason for the war was really promoted (before the fact) as being "to free the Iraqi people from Saddam Hussein's tyrrany"? (probably yes, actually; pacificts are a fickle bunch...)

...but then, if it was all about deposing Saddam Hussein, why didn't they just send in a Black Ops mission to get the guy, and members of his cabinet? Easier, cheaper, quieter, less collateral damage.

...and I'm still waiting for the armed mission to Zimbabwe...
UN backing has to be the most retarded justification for doing anything, ever.

In fact, I'd go so far as to only do something when the UN disagrees. Because when a body dominated by tinpot African, Asian, Middle Eastern and South American shitholes disagree with you, you must be doing something right :up:

EDIT: Wait, are you saying there's no evidence Saddam ever had WMDs?
unfnknblvbl wrote:Hell, there's not even any evidence that he ever had any "weapons of mass destruction"
I think the Kurds would have something to say about that. At least the ones that survived.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

how do you define "WMD" though? Martin Bryant sure caused mass destruction with nothing more than a rifle (iirc) in Port Arthur...
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Come on, don't be a retard, everybody knows the definition of WMDs: chemical, biological and nuclear weapons.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

mech wrote:
Hercy wrote:I really don't have the patience for an internet link war, suffice to say that my overall impression is that the more credible sources suggest that there is no reason why elevated carbon dioxide levels won't cause adverse climate change for most countries. The fact that you've had to reluctantly refer to Andrew Bolt is case in point.

I think that the insurance and re-insurance industry would disgree with you that the incidence of severe weather events isn't on the increase.

A lot of the doomsday predictions get coverage because fear mongering is the bread and butter of news services. The more reasonable predictions are around 3 to 4 degrees of warming by 2100 which would still be disasterous for biodiversity.

Also I find the attitude by people like Andrew Bolt that Australia shouldn't do anything about CO2 emissions because we're dwarfed by India/China to be so despicable. A country with as many wealthy citizens as Australia (no matter how many people want to whinge about food and petrol prices) really needs to take leadership to demonstrate the technologies and reduce the cost through economies of scale, so that India/China no longer see coal as the cheap solution.
Here's one of many articles from the 70s that shows how flawed and unreliable our ability to interpret and predict the weather from scientific data is.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 14,00.html

Backing yourself up with nothing but a swipe against Andrew Bolt is pretty lame. Why would a warmer climate be disastrous for biodiversity? Do you really think the climate of the world never changes?
Word on this post. Meteorologist can only give you a best guess for weather TOMORROW and still get it wrong. Predicting weather patterns for 50 years in the future? = fucking pointless.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:Come on, don't be a retard, everybody knows the definition of WMDs: chemical, biological and nuclear weapons.
Righto, so where are they then?
mech

Post by mech »

He used the former two in the 80s.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

"So Saddam...about that gulf war..."
"yea?"
"Its not over. BOOM!"
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Pretty strong evidence that things are getting just a little hotter...