Up the Mighty Liberals! #inmalcolmwetrust

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Re: Up the Mighty Liberals! #inmalcolmwetrust

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

I keep "harking back" to the Gillard government for the simple and very important point that a minority government has it's positives and that with the right management, things don't have to grind to a halt. Labor and the Greens aren't so different.. which is one annoyance I have currently that Labor are being arrogant dicks towards the Greens.. even though they share various policies.

Secondly, given the legislation passed.. which again.. it's commonly noted that the Gillard government had a shit load passed.. do you actually know that all that legislation were failures? Poor decisions? If you went and had a look at a lot of it.. it's actually sensible governing.

Considering so many people are concerned about international investing/purchasing of assets and land.. you will find that people will likely be happy to know that more voices/parties will be able to contest such big and divisive issues. Furthermore, did a gridlocked parliament destroy our economy back in 2010? No. It didn't.

You clearly hate Labor. That is obvious.. I'm not a big fan either.. if anything - being a small business owner.. my allegiance should be with the Liberals.. however I am more socially progressive than their conservative bullshittery. At the end of the day they are both incredibly arrogant and yet out of the two, the Liberals continue to be so so smug and above everyone else.. even though they just had a terrible election that made their positioning worse than what prompted them to call the DD.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

You're missing the point, the point is they kowtowed to the greens which didn't go down well with the public whatsoever. But they had to to form government. Since then they haven't been so friendly.

I also didn't say that a hung parliament would destroy the economy - I said people are worried it will hurt it. The economy is also not the same as it was back then so drawing a direct comparison isn't ideal. A coalition minority means budget measures are not a guarantee which is bad for the economy and would greatly increase the chances of losing our AAA credit rating. But hey, fucking idiots we are.

I'm not sure what me hating Labor has to do with anything, I hate hung parliaments.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Madmya wrote:You're missing the point, the point is they kowtowed to the greens which didn't go down well with the public whatsoever. But they had to to form government. Since then they haven't been so friendly.

I also didn't say that a hung parliament would destroy the economy - I said people are worried it will hurt it. The economy is also not the same as it was back then so drawing a direct comparison isn't ideal. A coalition minority means budget measures are not a guarantee which is bad for the economy and would greatly increase the chances of losing our AAA credit rating. But hey, fucking idiots we are.

I'm not sure what me hating Labor has to do with anything, I hate hung parliaments.
Seems like my social/political circles considered working with the greens not so bad. And even if the public wasn't happy with it.. I would say that Abbott made sure he stirred that pot to amplify that unhappiness far more than what was warranted.

I never said you said that a hung parliament would destroy the economy - I simply progressed the point to it's end. Which again stands - it didn't destroy the economy and a lot of the worry likely came from the liberals in their insistence of forming a stable government (which they failed to do for reasons xyz).

Given the Liberals last efforts at forming Government where we had Abbott stand in front of the nation assuring no cuts to *insert numerous sectors* and then completely backflipping and then refusing the acknowledge the backflip? I'd much prefer a hung parliament/minority government so that we NEVER see such arrogance and contempt from a government again.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Yep, it was all Abbott's/Liberals fault Gillard faced such backlash in the polls and financial uncertainty in the event of a hung parliament. You shouldn't throw the term 'fucking idiots' around so loosely.

I think this has come to its conclusion.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

I never said all of the worry came from it.

Actually read what I said.

I said a lot.. and I say a lot because numerous political commentators have commented saying that Abbott did so well because he was relentless is attacking Gillard and casting doubt on her. As much as I despise the man and his methods.. he did exactly what an opposition leader was meant to do.. alas not the way I felt it should be done.. but he achieved his goal. And then didn't know how to transform into a leader of a party in power.

You're right.. this has likely come to it's conclusion. I never said that the Gillard/Labor govt was perfect.. yet we endured 3 years of the Liberals bashing them for leadership changes.. and various other things and yet here we are now.. in the exact same position except the roles are reversed. Like you couldn't have imagined it it would be that similar...

Ultimately it's like this.. you think a hung parliament is something terrible and so uncertain and blah blah.. The economy didn't fail last time. It is unlikely to fail this time. You see chaos and I see parties having to work together and doing what we pay them the big bucks for and doing actual work. Politics is all about melodrama and when you remove that and realise that we pay them to find solutions to better our country - I'd much prefer a broader spectrum involved than just the Libs doing the thinking.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

You are exactly right that the liberals via Turnbull delivered exactly what they promised the end of and if Daniel Andrews wasnt being the best supreme leader ever in Vic we would have a hung parliament. We will still get another leadership change to equal the RGR roundabout I think to.

I wouldnt class passing a shit ton of legislation as a positive either as what matters is what is bwing passed and that hung parliament was not passing anything good but boy did they love adding rules and regulations to everything.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

so what you're saying is that they got their job done, then?
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

No, I'm saying measuring how well a government is working by how much legislation it has passed is a very bad way of looking at it. If a government pass 20000 pages of new laws and regulations for one stupid idea that everyone hates then the government has not been good. According to some people who want to cling to anything to argue that the Gillard - Rudd minority government was any good it's apparently a great indicator that it was working well. Guess what, they had a majority in both houses, they could fling through whatever thought bubble they had and they did. The Australian people told them to go fuck themselves in no uncertain terms at the next election and as I said at the time, a banana wearing sunglasses would have won that election against them such was the anger in the community towards them.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

so what did you think of Howard's last term in office, then?
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Well seeing he got thrown out it obviously didn't go well.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Passing legislation in a minority government shows that they actually had to work and negotiate to get things done.

Interestingly enough... what legislation of the Gillard Government didn't you like? I mean.. they had 561 pieces of it.. I know the ones I didn't like.. but I know the ones I did.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

No they had majorities in both houses.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Froggy wrote:Well seeing he got thrown out it obviously didn't go well.
The question was about how you felt Howard went in his last term.

Also GCF asked what bits of legislation didn't you like. Reading the entire post helps before answering.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:Passing legislation in a minority government shows that they actually had to work and negotiate to get things done.
I've no idea why you continue to be incredibly fucking dense on this. It was a minority government that had to side with a party on the same side of the political spectrum. You make it sound like it was some kind of diplomatic triumph when it was anything but. It is nothing like what a coalition minority would have to endure.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

A union which meant they could pass whatever they wanted by delivering majorities but it was oh so tough.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

GreyWizzard wrote:

Also GCF asked what bits of legislation didn't you like. Reading the entire post helps before answering.
I wrote a reply but Im at a conference with shit internet so I think it never made it
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

GreyWizzard wrote:

I wrote a reply but Im at a conference with shit internet so I think it never made it
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

It wasn't just Labor and the Greens. Gillard needed the support of Oakeshott, Windsor, and Wilkie. Given that two of those people were former National members, they're not politically aligned. In fact it was generally expected that they would support the Liberals to form government, but for the fact that Abbott did such a poor job in securing their support.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Hercy wrote:It wasn't just Labor and the Greens. Gillard needed the support of Oakeshott, Windsor, and Wilkie. Given that two of those people were former National members, they're not politically aligned. In fact it was generally expected that they would support the Liberals to form government, but for the fact that Abbott did such a poor job in securing their support.
Ah yeah not politically aligned, please. How did those two act this election cycle? Windsor in particular has a well known hatred of the nationals so he would always do anything to hit them.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Gah! I actually forgot about those wretched ex-Nats! Bit harsh on Abbott saying he did such a poor job of securing them, didn't they want him to re-neg on two key party policies? Political suicide to do that... as Julia found out.

But once that was done it was supply and confidence for the ALP.

I do agree with Froggy though, they've hardly been politically aligned for a while now. Actually, a special mention must go to Rob Oakeshott who contested this recent election knowing full well he had dick all chance of winning. He's also studying a medicine degree now so why would he want to get back into politics? Did get a nice pay out for running.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Im fucking dense and yet you forgot about INDs?

And im not even looking at what supposed triumph it was. I continue to look at the productivity of that Govt and then looking at the proceeding government and how much productivity it had.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

And you continue that line. Yes, incredibly dense.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:Im fucking dense and yet you forgot about INDs?

And im not even looking at what supposed triumph it was. I continue to look at the productivity of that Govt and then looking at the proceeding government and how much productivity it had.
I hope this gov passes reems of legislation on whatever it feels like because then we will know it has been a successful one.

On whether you thought the laws were good or not well you will never get agreement as it comes down to personal preference and it was quite obvious the majority of australians personally thought their awesome amount of legislation was garbage. The key mistake Gillard made was katowing to the Greens when she had all of the power, they would never support the coalition and they would never give up the chance to have a hand in government.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Froggy wrote:
GreyWizzard wrote:

:lol: :lol: that's ok, this post arrived twice. Totally made up for not actually answering the question.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Lol I was mashing submit on that as I had realised that it wasnt actually posting on lots of websites when it appeared to be.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!