Up the Mighty Liberals! #inmalcolmwetrust

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

A sample size of just 28 years?

Not denying things ARE getting hotter atm btw, I just question whether we know if they'll continue getting hotter, or if the effects will be as bad as some people claim.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

unfnknblvbl wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:Come on, don't be a retard, everybody knows the definition of WMDs: chemical, biological and nuclear weapons.
Righto, so where are they then?
He used them all up on the Kurds and his other enemies. Unfortunately for Saddam and his rather confused defenders, he forgot to tell anybody he'd run out :lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

mech wrote:Here's one of many articles from the 70s that shows how flawed and unreliable our ability to interpret and predict the weather from scientific data is.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 14,00.html

Backing yourself up with nothing but a swipe against Andrew Bolt is pretty lame. Why would a warmer climate be disastrous for biodiversity? Do you really think the climate of the world never changes?
Hmmm, well I think that the argument that because climatologists have been wrong in the past, that it follows that they are probably wrong now (or at least a sufficient probability such that the cost to reduce greenhouse gas emissions outweighs the benefits), is pretty weak. Technology has come along nicely since the '70s and so more recent climate models must necessarily be more accurate.

Of course the Earth's climate is very changeable. It's more the rate of change that will lead to large numbers of extinctions, than the change itself. Previous sudden change events like volcanic activity or asteroid strikes have led to mass extinctions. Even now, coral reefs like the Great Barrier Reef are dying, and plants and animals are migrating where they can. Human settlement and coasts restrict a lot of opportunities for migration though. Some species will flourish but the number of different species will decline. I don't feel comfortable about staking humanity's future on 'miracle' future technologies that will allow us to change the climate rapidly or genetically engineer plants/animals for the new climate.

As for BruceCamblzChin's comment about not being able to predict tomorrow's weather - meteorologists might not be able to predict much into the future about the troposphere given its huge instability, but the upper layers of the atmosphere are much more stable and do lend themselves towards long-term forecasting.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

The thing is we've only been recording detailed weather information for 100 years at the most. To say that these kinds of environmental events have never happened before is ludicrous. In the 1200's (I think) Greenland was warm enough for the Vikings to inhabit and that period had high CO2 levels. Mars at the moment has also had an increase in atmospheric CO2 at a similar level to us. There's too many unknowns.

P.S. Scientists aren't always reliable. People like Garnaut need a crisis like 'global warming' to keep himself in a job. Every scientist needs their work to be important otherwise they don't get the funding.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:
Madmya wrote:So you're pretty much assuming that Howard's interest in nuclear energy was purely because he was scratching his mate's back? :loco:
No I'm not. My post states explicitly Howard made it a public adgenda item when Ron Walker started Australian Nuclear Energy P/L. Simple as that. Whether it is in fact policy Howard is personally/morally attached to it's not something he raised in his decades of public office prior to that.
So yes, you are inferring he is scratching his mates back. I guess this means you are against a great alternative energy source then too.
Peppermint Lounge wrote:
The thing about alcopops is that it won't do anything to stop binge drinking. Case in point: my housemates younger sister (18) went with her friends to buy some drinks only to find that whatever they were getting cost $80/carton. 'Fuck that' they said and bought a bottle of vodka, bag of goon and lemonade and made jungle juice. +1 for stopping binge drinking!
So what? That's after the fact. The fact being there was a tax loophole blatantly exploited by the alcohol industry and that loophole is now plugged. Of course binge drinking will continue as it always has but alcopops which as mentioned are deliberately targetted at young people and low income earners deserve all they get.
Ohh it's after the fact. How convenient. Krudd redeemed.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

So how else did Howard destory Australia apart from sending a few troops to Iraq and causing global warming?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

how's Rudd destroyed the country by putting a tax on premixed drinks?
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Madmya wrote:The thing is we've only been recording detailed weather information for 100 years at the most. To say that these kinds of environmental events have never happened before is ludicrous. In the 1200's (I think) Greenland was warm enough for the Vikings to inhabit and that period had high CO2 levels.
This just isn't true at all. Core samples can reveal CO2 levels and other climatic conditions. CO2 levels have been pretty level until the commencement of the modern industrial age: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Carb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 400kyr.png
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild

Post by westical »

unfnknblvbl wrote:how's Rudd destroyed the country by putting a tax on premixed drinks?
http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 62,00.html
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Hercy wrote:
Madmya wrote:The thing is we've only been recording detailed weather information for 100 years at the most. To say that these kinds of environmental events have never happened before is ludicrous. In the 1200's (I think) Greenland was warm enough for the Vikings to inhabit and that period had high CO2 levels.
This just isn't true at all. Core samples can reveal CO2 levels and other climatic conditions. CO2 levels have been pretty level until the commencement of the modern industrial age: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Carb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 400kyr.png
Oh yeah, core samples. I suppose these also say that 2005 was the hottest year on record too. :roll: :roll:
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

I have no idea what you're trying to say.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

westical wrote:
unfnknblvbl wrote:how's Rudd destroyed the country by putting a tax on premixed drinks?
http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 62,00.html
And that's Rudd/Labor's fault, is it? You'd be fucking stupid to think that any economic problems we have at the moment are solely due to the new government, like saying that low interest rates in the late 90s/early 00s were solely due to Howard's government. The housing market bubble has been predicted to burst for years now, and now that it's finally showing signs of faltering, it's because of Rudd/Labor, right? :lol:

It's been six months. At least give it 18-24 months before you pull the "ruined the country" card out from wherever it's hiding. :rolleyes:
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Hercy wrote:I have no idea what you're trying to say.
What I was trying to say is everyone is up in arms about 2005 (or whatever, it was a few years ago) was the hottest year on record yet we've only been recording temps for 100 years. Core samples don't help that. And while we're on core samples I don't even know how reliable they are to begin with. They're assuming the physical circumstance of that particular area is constant. Load of shit if you ask me.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild

Post by westical »

unfnknblvbl wrote:
westical wrote:
And that's Rudd/Labor's fault, is it? You'd be fucking stupid to think that any economic problems we have at the moment are solely due to the new government, like saying that low interest rates in the late 90s/early 00s were solely due to Howard's government. The housing market bubble has been predicted to burst for years now, and now that it's finally showing signs of faltering, it's because of Rudd/Labor, right? :lol:

It's been six months. At least give it 18-24 months before you pull the "ruined the country" card out from wherever it's hiding. :rolleyes:
If they even last that long.
mech

Post by mech »

Hercy wrote:
And yet the earth has gone through warming phases before... without a greater concentration of carbon dioxide.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Exactly.

This is something interesting I just found. You can't exactly take it as fact but it's another reason why we can't just take some scientists views and run with it. For some reason we always love to blame ourselves for everything.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_reliable_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... atmosphere

Edit: Actually, there's quite a lot of information on the webs about the unreliability of core samples. What a surprise.
Last edited by Madmya on 10 Jul 2008 08:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Madmya wrote:
Hercy wrote:I have no idea what you're trying to say.
What I was trying to say is everyone is up in arms about 2005 (or whatever, it was a few years ago) was the hottest year on record yet we've only been recording temps for 100 years. Core samples don't help that. And while we're on core samples I don't even know how reliable they are to begin with. They're assuming the physical circumstance of that particular area is constant. Load of shit if you ask me.
I don't know how reliable core samples are either, because neither of us are climatologists. That's why I leave it to people who dedicate their working life to the science to decide the efficacy of core sampling and other temperature measuring techniques for me, instead of asking you.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I saved you the trouble sunshine.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

unfnknblvbl wrote:You'd be fucking stupid to think that any economic problems we have at the moment are solely due to the new government
We've been talking about this for years. The only people who ignored us were the Howard voters, who (predictably) are only just noticing it now, and trying desperately to pin it all on the bloke who's been there for six months.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Deja vu.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Madmya wrote:So yes, you are inferring he is scratching his mates back. I guess this means you are against a great alternative energy source then too.
Why would my thinking Howard is a wretched stain + acknowledging the timing of his announced support for nuclear energy coinciding with his 20 year chum's launching of Australian Nuclear Energy Pty Ltd mean I am against nuclear energy? You're such a blind fanboy about everything you assume everyone else thinks like you. Nuclear energy has its pros and cons.
What? What do you mean how convenient? That binge drinkers will load up on drinks other than alcopops is irrelevant and separate to the exploitation of a tax system loophole by the alcohol industry via the proliferation of high-strength alcopops. And fuck Kevin Rudd - if you weren't such a brand fanboy you might observe Keven Rudd is pretty much aligned with John Howard.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:
Madmya wrote:So yes, you are inferring he is scratching his mates back. I guess this means you are against a great alternative energy source then too.
Why would my thinking Howard is a wretched stain + acknowledging the timing of his announced support for nuclear energy coinciding with his 20 year chum's launching of Australian Nuclear Energy Pty Ltd mean I am against nuclear energy? You're such a blind fanboy about everything you assume everyone else thinks like you. Nuclear energy has its pros and cons.
I just don't understand why your were against Howard's stance on nuclear energy in the first place. First I asked if it was because he was scratching a mates back to which you said 'No' so what else could it be? That you hate nuclear energy was the assumption I came to. Which is obviously wrong too.
Peppermint Lounge wrote:
What? What do you mean how convenient? That binge drinkers will load up on drinks other than alcopops is irrelevant and separate to the exploitation of a tax system loophole by the alcohol industry via the proliferation of high-strength alcopops. And fuck Kevin Rudd - if you weren't such a brand fanboy you might observe Keven Rudd is pretty much aligned with John Howard.
It's convenient that there was a loophole which makes this okay according to you, that's what.
Last edited by Madmya on 10 Jul 2008 09:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Rudd's the most conservative leader Labor's had in a very very long time, if not ever. I would not be surprised if history shows him to be second only to Howard as the most conservative leader we've had. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about that; I said as much shortly after he gained the leadership of the ALP however long ago it was.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Well he hasn't done anything yet..
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

unfnknblvbl wrote:Rudd's the most conservative leader Labor's had in a very very long time, if not ever. I would not be surprised if history shows him to be second only to Howard as the most conservative leader we've had. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about that; I said as much shortly after he gained the leadership of the ALP however long ago it was.
I said many times that if Rudd turns out to be half the cunt Howard was then we're half way there. It's early days, but so far this seems to be more-or-less the case. Still, it's a start, and Australia is already a far less embarrassing country than it was just a year ago.

Also, Howard's corruption was legendary. There's a very good reason he was widely dubbed the Teflon Man. This news about the reason behind his sudden nuclear fanboyism comes as no surprise at all.