MetallicA fans...

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: MetallicA fans...

Post by unfnknblvbl »

why is this a double album? It all fits on one disc (it's over 90 seconds shorter than Load)!
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

*sigh* metallica, the sonic team of music.

More coherent song writing than death magnetic. Rather than parts that don't suck being taped together I can hear intros, bodies, outros etc. Vocal lines are better than they have been in years. Sounds more like metallica than it has in years overall actually.
Just needs more chilli, Lars' drumming is the weak link that lets them down here. James' is also lacking an energetic, aggressive feeling. There are parts in Halo on Fire that are a perfect example of what I'm talking about; james/lars combo turn what could have been a good song into such weak mediocre metal. The lyrics and tune of the vocal line around 3:45ish that's all like "prayers could not get through, return to sender" is such a weak bit. The entirety of the song manUNkind is also pissweak. Its just like "gimme a break :wanker: ". Kirk hammet solo's are so samey and full of noodling these days, his best days are long behind him.
On the other hand, there are some really powerful moments on this album. The iron maiden-esque riffage in Atlas, Rise! for example. James' vocals on Dream no more have a real sing along quality that reminds me of the better tracks on load/reload. Here come's revenge, is also a good track apart from that massive snare fill in the middle of it, its like do you have any other drums in that kit mate? There are a few others I forget atm. Good but not great album. If this were released by any other band it would probably be receiving kinder words from me.

I think they did a good job and I'm happy with this release. But I still would rather listen to Reload (one of their worst albums). Which says it all really.

EDIT: ahh, that's right. spit out the bone was one of the other tracks that was good. Solo in murder one is almost redeeming for hammet considering my earlier comments.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Hammett lost all his work (riffs/solos) towards the album some time last year. Had them all as files on his phone which he lost at the airport and hadn't backed them up.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metall ... vastating/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's funny how almost every album in the last 20yrs people have whinged about Kirk's solos and his wah pedal, but that's his style now. His early solos were great in their day but they're all just essentially scales taught to him by Joe Satriani, hence why Satriani started releasing music. He said if Kirk can make money off his scaling technique then so can he.

Imo, you could scrap everything Metallica has done from the Black album to St Anger and these last two albums would fit right in with their 80s albums. It certainly took a few listens to warm to a few songs, it's a good album with a couple of exceptional tracks. Take out about 2-3 songs and it would be a great album.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

If Spit out the Bone was on Justice. Boomy, you need to hear Kirk's solos in this production and maybe you'll appreciate them more. A lot less wahwah.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

The difference between joe satriani and kirk hammet is a universe apart.
Its not the wah wah. its the predictability, doing the same thing, a lack of dynamics, noodling around and not really 'saying' much in his solos. He sounds like a guitarist stuck in a rut too scared to do things we haven't heard before. Aside from having way better technique and tricks, Satriani emphasizes being musical in his phrases, something you rarely hear Hammett doing. Satriani emphasizes playing the "right" note where as Hammett is on auto pilot noodling around his shapes. All he can do is rehash the enter sandman solo and occasionally gets lucky doing something slightly difference. Losing one's solo material, while unfortunate, is a piss weak excuses for what I'm criticizing here, one's chops are one's chops.
To be fair I think Hammett capable of some good stuff but is holding himself back mentally by the idea that it needs to sound like Metallica. The solo in murder one is a good demonstration of being capable of more.
If all hammett did was rehash satriani solos, it'd be great but he hasn't played in that style in years(Satriani is WAY less reliant on pentatonic scales). Too often, Hammet just noodles around the pentatonic shapes like some sort of bedroom hendrix fan playing over heavy metal.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Word of the Day - "Noodles" :lol:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

True, though. Hammet hasn't written a truly epic solo in years. Take Unforgiven III for example; that song was ripe for an epic melodious journey of a solo (like the Fade to Black intro), and instead we got some mindless twaddling. Nothing to truly distinguish it from any other wanky solo out there.

Hetfield's the saving grace of this band. He's a far more interesting guitarist, and when he solos, you can usually hear the way he's actually crafted something. Pity about his awful lyrics since Reload :(
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

t0mby wrote:
...Still waiting for misly to post his impressions.
Anything from Metallica I consider a bonus now, but I didnt think I would get another Album from the old farts that I enjoyed as much as Hardwired.

Its cliché to say, but it took me a few weeks to build subconsciousness familiarity and to fucking love this album as much as I do now. For me, it was worth the listening investment. Its awesome. Apart from Spit out the Bone, the tracks I would have listed as my favorite earlier on, has dramatically changed after probably listening one hundred times. I read the early reviews praising CD1 and dissing CD2 (except Spit) - So early on I concentrated on listening to CD1 - neglecting the songs on CD2 - which I is now favorite CD of the two.

Hardwired for me - started off on a bad foot. I have always loved the ballads / slow songs and always look forward to them on Metallica's new releases. Was initially disappointed with the early rumours of no ballad (proven true) - I have gotten over that one. Also covers aside, Metallica never really sweared much in any of their 100+ original songs. I cringed at the simplicity and swearing in the earlier released Hardwired single. I dont hate it now - but its probably the least favorite track on the Album.

Here is my current track preference listing - my list isn't the general consensus - starting with most favorite.

1 - Spit out the Bone - What the hell? Pleasant surprises here. Fucking Awesome. In additions to the heavy thrashy love of it, I love the theme / lyrics / story telling mode that Metallica sometimes goes into when the meaning / story of the lyric match the emotion or image that the riff evokes - riff emotion or image evoking by design... Did a T-800 write the lyrics? Well done old farts - love it.

2 - Halo on Fire

3 - Confusion - Still dont like the drumming start - but love the rest a lot. The after war post traumatic Stress Syndrome lyric meaning fits into other Metallica themes of other songs - and would be a great outlet for some people. I like the lyric theme. The riffs and music inspired me to learn it on guitar - fucking love playing it. Nothing on DM urged me to pick up and learn on the guitar like Confusion has.

4 - Here Comes Revenge - I love the bit after "I was Cain" at 1.40 ish. Plus other clever James shit throughout the song

5 - Now That We're Dead

6 - Am I savage

7 - Moth Into Flame - Amy Winehouse doco inspired James on this one and again I like the lyric theme.

8 - Dream No More - Call of Ktulu 2 lyrically and sounds awesome

9 - Atlas Rise

10 - ManUnkind - I enjoy the bluesy metal riffage and Kirks whining - I think thats just me.

11 - Murder One - I love what it is - Lemmy and approach. A slower chug chug and the riffs have grown on me. I am enjoying more and more.

12 - Hardwired

Other general thoughts:
Bass drum sounds a too poppy / clicky in some songs, but it doesn't bother me now unless I think about it.
Better use of palm muting - dunno how to explain it - clever rhythmic strategic palm muting carries shit - links shit - emphasizes shit - sounds better and under utilised on other recent Metallica albums.
Riff diversity that most of the time - comes together well - other Metallica recent albums may have had riff diversity that didnt hold together so well.
I go against the grain and like most of the lyric themes on Hardwired songs. Although a few cringy lyrical moments, at least they are writing about different things and not samey samey boring shit.

Hitting submit on this post as my three yer old just walked in and daddy duty - will come back and edit. soz.
:rock:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Misly wrote: 8 - Dream No More - Call of Ktulu 2 lyrically and sounds awesome.
I think you mean The Thing that should not be. And I agree.

Good write up Misly, looking forward to your edit.

My favorites have changed somewhat too, apart from Bone which just rocks so hard. Halo on Fire has earned a new place in my top 3 on the album and I still really enjoy Moth to Flame.

Daddy duties call too, Master 5 being a little shit and lacks discipline.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Anyone going to any of their Worldwired shows later this year? There was only one here, a Thursday and it sold out in 15 minutes so I missed out, but a second show was announced on Monday with tickets available today for Metallica members (next Monday for Peasants) so was fortunate to get one this time. Luckily it's a Saturday too.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Yeah going but the prices this time were astronomical fucking 180 for crappiest part of GA, 230 I think for GA closer.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Ever ticket comes with a copy of Hard Wired. Did it sell like shit or something?
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Froggy wrote:Yeah going but the prices this time were astronomical fucking 180 for crappiest part of GA, 230 I think for GA closer.
Probably because of Slipknot I suppose too. Their last tour here back in 2010 was about $130 and Lamb of God supported them. Wish it was Anthrax.
F for Fake wrote:Ever ticket comes with a copy of Hard Wired. Did it sell like shit or something?
Quite a few artists do this now. Plus album is on Metallicas own label now, hence fuck all radio play.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

James back in rehab. Australasian tour cancelled.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entertai ... -tour.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Wow :shock:

Aren't you a bit old for this shit James? :lol:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Never too old!
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

Just a (late) heads up for any Metallica fans here at the Ranch.

Metallica have a live event tonight on youtube - a sneak peak at the up and coming S&M 2 release (August).

TONIGHT Wednesday 15/07/20

Sydney times:

11pm: Metallica & San Francisco Symphony: S&M2 Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRCLe6_kBRc
11.15pm: Metallica & San Francisco Symphony: All Within My Hands https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcG-htmIZR0
11.30pm: Metallica & San Francisco Symphony: Nothing Else Matters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhWfrtIPZjk

\M/
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

Okay - Regarding the teaser of S&M2 that I posted above...

Of course I am going to love it - being the Metallica nut I am. I come away from todays sneak peak of S&M 2 pleased with the two songs they teased. Very excited. There is a lot going on in my head. I'll try and get it out.

Two songs teased were All Within My Hands, and Nothing Else Matters.

Just that little tease was a vacation from the pandemic and current mental grind down of the world. It took me to a very nice place that I havnt been to for a while.

S&M2 will be released on August 28th. I am so excited.

James sounded awesome, but he looks unwell. S&M2 was done weeks before he went into rehab for falling back into the trap of alcoholism, and cancelling the Australian tour. I just hope that MetallicA dont do a third S&M because every time they play with a symphony, straight after, James goes into rehab for alcoholism. Two out of two. Something about those violins. But Metallica and James approach to challenges - that will just make 'em more strong.

I miss Jason. He could back up sing and harmonise, and not sound like a der. Without Jason back up singing - there has been a lack of tact in live vocals. So I welcome the stranger dude who was singing back up vocal lines alongside James during All Within My Hands. Having another layer of melodic harmonised singing brought back memories, was great, and filled a gap that Kirk and Rob just cant do. I didnt see this singing stranger in Nothing Else Matters. I hope he appears on many more songs of the full S&M2 release.

It sounds great. Professionally mixed and no doubt less raw that the first S&M. They have fixed a few bad notes, pitch corrected, they are old farts now and I dont care. At nearly 40 years on, I consider any Metallica release a huge bonus! This music is unique stuff nowadays, record companies with corporate incentives and different power balance with modern musicians - just pump out cheap shit. It looked and sounded far better than the mobile phone youtube videos I have studied of S&M2. But it really sounds great. You can hear the different instruments, and their melody lines far better. The orchestra sounds are just so fucking awesome alongside Metallica.. Fantastic Job. Very pleasant orchestra composition for the newer song - All within My Hands. Done very well. The orchestra was done over the slower unplugged version of All Within My Hands - that MetallicA previously played it for the Bridge School Benefit Concert. I personally prefer it to the Saint Anger version. I noticed the orchestra played the same orchestra composition of Nothing Else Matters that Michael Kamen wrote for the first S&M. James varied the vocals a bit, and the band did a different nice outtro. I think I prefer the S&M2 version of NEM of the two.

I wish we could have S&M 1 in high definition. But its more than that. S&M2 teaser looks great visually. More inclusive of the orchestra and far less cheesy. Just two teaser songs, but I didnt see corny silhouettes, or over the top cliche posing. Visuals seemed more about the music, and I like how the orchestra surrounds the MetallicA four.

A highlight of the shitty mobile phone youtube clips of the S&M2 event was when one of the bass cello players did an epic version of Cliff's Bass Solo Take One - (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth. I cant wait to hear that mixed on blueray. I think I will cry.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Nice write up misly, actually got me looking forward to S&M 2, which I had no interest before when it was announced. Pulling Teeth sounds amazing.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

S&M2:

It felt very sterile and forced. You could feel the passion on the the first outing with the SFO, but nothing this time around. It was interesting to see the band join in on that orchestral piece, but you could tell they were given parts that wouldn't challenge them very much.
It was also interesting to see Hetfield singing Unforgiven III solo with the orchestra. I can tell you from experience that if anything is going to drive you to drink, it's working with an orchestra as an "outsider". That bit would have been ridiculously stressful.

So, while the original S&M has many tracks in my rotation, nothing from this time around is going in there.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

https://www.loudersound.com/features/th ... st-century" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I definitely agree with #1 and most of the list. Not sure about the song St Anger though.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

None of Stanger belongs on that list. Every single song on Death Magnetic is better than anything on Stanger, and almost everything on Hardwired to Self Destruct is better than that, soooo...
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Is it just me or is this discussion like trying to rank 3d sonic games? :wink:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

BOOMY wrote:Is it just me or is this discussion like trying to rank 3d sonic games? :wink:
:lol:

Well said.

I listened to Hardwired again the other day, still prefer Death Magnetic.
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

Obligatory Misly the Metallica nut new album post.

I always enjoy a Metallica album more after many full album listens. I (you?) notice more, and the music gets deeper as you build up a sub-conscious familiarity.

My favourite album since the Rob Era.

I cant stop listening to Shadows Follows since last Fridays launch. The metal groove riff entrapped me. Then the riff from Chasing Light grew on me. 72 Seasons song has me going now. Much more awesome Metallicaness in all the other songs.

I appreciate anything the old farts put out. 42 years. Their drive / passion is phenomenal (and personally inspiring / infectious). I am stoked with the new 72 Seasons album. Enjoying.

Edit = I've forgotten how to forum

Youtube Shadows Follow Music Video (I cant embed): https://youtu.be/Ui1OBxlWvvE[/FuckUyoutube]