MetallicA fans...

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

MetallicA fans...

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

Head over to http://www.missionmetallica.com

They have a website up(just a trailer at the mo)which will show heapd of details about their new(another fucking 5 year wait!!!) album, will have snippets of new tunes etc., an interesting way of dealing with bootleg recordings getting out on the net and a good way to work teh internets.

Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

I doubt I'll sign up to that shit, but I am quite interested to see how their new music compares to the new school thrash bands like municipal waste, short sharp shock and evile. At best they'll prolly just pull some gay ass trivium shit instead though.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Gay ass Trivium. Now I know why Ram likes it. :lol:

Its a catch 22 Boomy. If they change their style, they'll get slammed for it, if thy produce somethig like Reload or SKoM they'll get slammed for it. I dont know why you'd want to compare Metallica to some new thrash bands since thrash has been around for 25yrs now.

Ireckon the new album will be quite thrashy, some of the riffs and leads we heard exerts from sounded pretty cool imo. I
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

you want to know what's missing from metal these days?
fucking intros!

leave the mic in your pocket for a while, forget radio friendly rules... and let the musicians do their thing for a while.

nothing like a good into, old metallica, slayer (seasons intro omg!), sepultura etc
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

There are few bands who can release 6/7 albums and every album is great.....very few......and metallica isnt one of them. Most bands have 3/4 albums in them and thats it. For fucks sake give it up metallica. I loved ride the lightning, puppets and justice but after the black album they should of given up. Changing styles isnt bad but it hasnt worked for them and all they are after now is $$$.
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

edgecrusher wrote:There are few bands who can release 6/7 albums and every album is great.....very few......and metallica isnt one of them. Most bands have 3/4 albums in them and thats it. For fucks sake give it up metallica. I loved ride the lightning, puppets and justice but after the black album they should of given up. Changing styles isnt bad but it hasnt worked for them and all they are after now is $$$.
agreed

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Metallica missed the boat big time with internet distribution, unlike like Reznor, Saul Williams and Radiohead (to name a few) who chose to get in on the ground floor. I hope this project bites them in the arse.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Yeah they are after dollars, as opposed to every other band that isn't. Srsly...

I heard some interesting riffs on the trailer, sounds like it could be better than St Anger, which would be good perhaps a return to some of the thrash of the 80's, and I am keen to hear/see more. I mean Mettalica hav given us Master of Puppets, they hav the right to do woteva the fuck they want.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

jizzlobber wrote:you want to know what's missing from metal these days?
fucking intros!

leave the mic in your pocket for a while, forget radio friendly rules... and let the musicians do their thing for a while.

nothing like a good into, old metallica, slayer (seasons intro omg!), sepultura etc
Go listen to The Mark of Cain if you like good intros.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Have a listen to the bands I mentioned and you'll realise why I made the comparison, they are very reminiscent of 80s thrash and synonomous with the new school of the artform. Rick Rubin has apparently encouraged Metallica to produce new music using their old formula rather than try and be like modern bands like they did on St anger. I would like to see how this compares to the bands I mentioned. Metallica regaining any sort of true respect from the metal community is a lost cause really, but I cant help myself from being interested in what it sounds like.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Hmm after listening to the riffs on that short movie, the bits you hear sound alright. A few thrash-esque bits but I think it still hangs of that hard rock version of the band too much for my liking. I'll prolly at least be able to give it a listen without turning it off before the end, unlike st anger. Metallica is so the musical equivalent of sonic team.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

BruceCamblzChin wrote:Yeah they are after dollars, as opposed to every other band that isn't. Srsly...
:?

I just find it funny Metallica is trying to do this now after demonising this method of distribution way back when. Crow must be delicious.
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

I like all Metallica albums except for St Anger and ReLoad somewhat. Their next Album with Rick Rubin looks and sounds interesting.

If Metallica where only after the dollar, then why would they piss off MTV? Metallica were supposed to play King Nothing at the 1996 MTV music awards but they where angry with MTV so they decided to piss MTV off, they played the two most offensive songs they could without rehearsal. They played two covers, So What! & Last Caress. James later confessed to trying to say all the offensive lyrics as clear as possible :lol:

Classic, check it out:
Rorschach wrote:
I just find it funny Metallica is trying to do this now after demonising this method of distribution way back when. Crow must be delicious.
Way back then and earlier Metallica was embracing this method of distribution, ignoring record companies, by providing their fans hours and hours of free music, bootleg style from their live concert. The demonising of Metallica occured when Metalllica got pissed off when they lost creative control when a brand new song was made available before they wanted to unveil it.
Last edited by Misly on 18 May 2008 03:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blotto
Man Fairy
XBL ID: Blotto Otto
PSN ID: Blotts
Steam ID: Blotto_Otto

Post by Blotto »

while im not a huge fan of anything that was done after Justice... (The Black album was fucking shit in my opinion) I have to admit, If anyone can pull Metallica out of the shit, It's Rick Rubin......

The guy is a fucking genius....
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I wasnt really a fan of Load or Reload but in recent years Ive grown to appreciate a few of the tracks off both albums. If you mix and match the best songs from both you'd have a damn decent album. THe Black Album was a disappointment at the time for me but again, its not that bad, just too over produced imo. I think it was something that couldnt be avoided given the momentum of their career at the time.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Blotto wrote:If anyone can pull Metallica out of the shit, It's Rick Rubin......

The guy is a fucking genius....
:thumbsup:
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

St.Anger was supposed to be "the Album" that pulled them out of the shit but in the end it was just shit. No matter who produces it or whatever will help metallica, they've gotta do it themselves with the songs they write and if they couldent do it 10 years ago, what makes them think they can do it now?.Its time to give i up.
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Re: Napster Baaaaaaaad.

I'm am still undecided on this issue. Perhaps Lars made a mistake by going on TV with his Bono shades on with a list of peeps who had downloaded his songs but

1. It was the first big example of copyright being breached thru Peer to Peer so some extreme backlash had to be expected.

2. If I was them i would be fucking pissed as well, something that I previously had been able to sell exclusively thru shops where people bought a product was now being given away for free? I mean we KNOW MetallicA aren't hard up for cash, but they are profesional musicians FFS.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I'm with Edgecrusher - all bands have an expiry date. I don't agree with the 3-4 albums theory though, I think some bands need a few albums to get 'into it'. Soundgarden for instance, I believe they got better and better with every release until Down on the Upside where it wasn't necessarily a step forward, but a step to the side. That's when you know it's time to stop.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Or how it took Pantera 4 albums of shit to make one that got major label recognition.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Jeez you guys are so narrow minded... "waaa, my favourite artist is not allowed to develop!" "waaa, it sounds exactly the same as all their other stuff!" "waaa, they used an acoustic guitar!"

Load & ReLoad were great albums, you just can't admit it because it's Metallica, and it's not Kill 'em All. Their songwriting had improved by leaps and bounds since their early days, and that pair of albums was the natural progression of that.

...and all that good work was promptly undone by St. Anger. The "let's stick this cool riff together with this one and only use the most intense parts of our jams" mentality is a fucking shit way to write music. There was absolutely no dynamic contrast on that album, let alone anything even approaching good songwriting.
I think they needed a Jason Newstead on that album more than they would have liked to admit.

I'm looking forward to this album, but I have my reservations.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Has Jason written an Auto-Bio since he left Metallica? I bet it would be an interesting read.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I just had a look; it would appear not.
Blotto
Man Fairy
XBL ID: Blotto Otto
PSN ID: Blotts
Steam ID: Blotto_Otto

Post by Blotto »

Newstead is a muppet.... Rockstar Supernova proved that...
unfnknblvbl wrote: ...and all that good work was promptly undone by St. Anger. The "let's stick this cool riff together with this one and only use the most intense parts of our jams" mentality is a fucking shit way to write music. There was absolutely no dynamic contrast on that album, let alone anything even approaching good songwriting.
:lol: from what i heard, your old band could've taken some of your advice :P