MetallicA fans...

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

having just listened to the album (thanks Chaos) I can say that I really dig it. Superior to Stanger in so many ways, some of the riffs,espesh in the instrumental, had me barring up something fierce.

Love Death Magnetic, long live the 'Lica!!!!!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

unfnknblvbl wrote:This album gets my "Biggest Surprise" award for.. er.. well, it's the biggest surprise I've had musically since Stanger was shit - although there were several hints that it would be.

I don't mean to sound like a gushing fanboy, I'm just completely fucking shocked that something of this quality has followed something as bad as Stanger.
Yes we're in the same boat on this one. I am stunned at how good it is, just having a third listen now.

Load is fantastic in its own right, but Death Magnetic should have followed Black.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

That's it, I'm posting a list of all the faults I've found with The Unforgiven III:
  • The title
that is all.
Load is fantastic in its own right, but Death Magnetic should have followed Black.
I dunno, I don't think Death Magnetic could have happened without Re/Load in there. That pair of albums prepared people for a much more dynamic and melodic vocal sound than anything before Black.

My question is this: Would we be as impressed with this album as we are if Stanger had never happened?

As much as I'd like to answer in the affirmative, I don't think we would be...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Probably not as impressed, but no doubt people would be saying it's a step up over Reload, but Stanger probably does make this sound like an all-time classic.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

yeah I chucked Stanger on last night after DM and the difference is difficult to put in to words, every song sound so much more rounded out on DM while Stanger trax I was thinking "Is my sub-woofer not connected or something?"
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Lars on the album leak

http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=73175

He doesnt seem fazed, may have even been done on purpose.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

LOL, it looks like they really learned their lesson from the Napster ordeal. Nice.

I'd have liked to hear a double-album of this stuff though... if only they weren't limited by 74 minute CDs :(
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

heh, fairly limited comments provided there by lars tho its good to hear they are 'on side'. also the I think the new album may clock at just over 74mins or there abouts :P 80mins limitation

Agree on the comments bout the unforgiven, its a fantastic song and what is holding back is a forced relationship with the other songs in the unforgiven series.

I am reluctant to priase the album with the same acclaim as you fellas but I do agree it surpassed all expectations. It is a genuinely good album, not a great album but a good album. Dont think I'll ever come to terms with the intro and overall structure to the main single but its not important; an enjoyable listen overall. Enjoy it about as much as reload/garage inc/S&M* which is a good thing really. and yea i agree about st anger, they could have farted on a cd and we would have thouhgt it was bettar!!11!11!one!11

*wont get into it but I reckon load is hell shitter than reload
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I wonder if they made a docco about this one too... it's be good just to see Rick Rubin sit down with the guys and say "so... St Anger was shit. What the fuck were you thinking when you recorded that dog turd?"
Ram
NEW ZEALAND GOVERNMENT INTERNET 1.1

Post by Ram »

Missionmetallica has 6 songs streaming for the non pirates out there.

The day that never come
My Apacalypse
Cyanide
All Nightmare long
Broken,beat ,scarred
The Judas Kiss
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

'Streaming' :lol:

If the second track on this album was called Death Magnetic then this album would follow the formula of thier 80's albums. Its the only thing missing really but doesn't matter at all. Great album, listened to it about 5 times today. I havent listened to a Metallica album that much since Justice, except for Damage Inc which was only covers anyway.

If I could change one thing though it would be th sound of Lars' snare, aside from that I dont see anything wrong with his drumming on this. There are some awesome riffs, Kirk pulls out some great leads as usual and Trujilo is worth every penny.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

unfnknblvbl wrote:LOL, it looks like they really learned their lesson from the Napster ordeal. Nice.
I still dont get the backlash against Metallica and Co.(to be fair it wasnt just Lars and the boys) that was shown back in 97' or whenever regarding P2P. I understand perhaps how futile it was to try to sue people being that they were all over the globe but the fact is it was and is illegal to do it.

I hav a copy of the new album and hav downloaded who knows how many tunes/albums over the years, none of the artists whose work I downloaded got a cent for me having the music so whinging about it when the people you are ripping off call you out on it really seems pretty piss weak to me.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

t0mby wrote: If I could change one thing though it would be th sound of Lars' snare, aside from that I dont see anything wrong with his drumming on this. There are some awesome riffs, Kirk pulls out some great leads as usual and Trujilo is worth every penny.
I agree with that review of this album. Rob is wikid.
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

The backlash against MetallicA was a sheepish movement that indicated peoples ability to understand something from someone elses perspective.

The industry was going through big changes way back at the time of the backlash, credit to MetallicA for learning from it. Considering their mindset at the time, MetallicA was pissed off that something they created was taken out of their hands. Think about this scenario. You created awesome pieces of art work and had planned a big art exhibition to reveal your artwork to the public. However some punk breaks into the art gallery and takes photos of all your art, then gave a copy to all the guests of your art exhibition, how pissed of would you be?

Anyway at least MetallicA embraced newer methods of distribution early, giving fans free downloads of their music because they retained ownership of their music and didnt sell it off to large music industry corporations like most bands do. They realised that the old dinosaur model the music business was ending. A band as large as MetallicA has the power to stick it to the big dinosaur corporations such as Warner Brothers Music. This is their last album MetallicA is contracted to provide through traditional / dinosaur channels (Warner Brothers Music). Look at how much content of this album they gave away before the release, only bands as big as MetallicA could negotiate that. Imagining how much this would have pissed off dinosaur Warner puts a big smile on my face.
Last edited by Misly on 06 Sep 2008 12:10 pm, edited 8 times in total.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Quite right Misly, you are spot on there.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

I dont think they reaslied the old model was ending. I think they opposed it, realised thats the not the way things work and we all hate them and had to backflip on the issue to save face. They embraced it late not early. Disagree with you, sorry mate.
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

BOOMY wrote:They embraced it late not early.
Wrong. MetallicA have been giving their music to fans for free over the Internet for years now. Way earler than the large majority of well known bands out there (most still dont give away their music).
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

No, they've only been giving away live recordings, which is something they've always encouraged fans to do anyway. "Giving away music" said like that implies more of what Nine Inch Nails have done with their last couple of releases.

Having said that, I wonder if they'll change things up, now that their contract is finished...
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Furthermore, they were very late to the itunes game too. implying they weren't exactly 'supportive' of the new model till it was the norm.
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

Personally I love the fact that MetallicA has been providing their fans hours and hours of free music online for years. Unfortunately as horrible as iTunes is, MetallicA couldnt ignore it forever. The Beatles and MetallicA avoided iTunes as long as possible, at least they didnt encourage limiting iTunes in the early days.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

BOOMY wrote:I dont think they reaslied the old model was ending. I think they opposed it, realised thats the not the way things work and we all hate them and had to backflip on the issue to save face.
Well in their defense they hav released what two actual studio albums since re/load days which doesnt exactly give them much of an oppurtunity to give away anything but live recordings.

And the only people who seem to hate on them are the same whingers I talked about before, 'Bu bubu Lars is cross at us for not paying for his music we openly dislike him and also his new haircut' - fickle sooks.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

This free music they have been providing for years - is still less and later than other bands. Suck some more lars dick why dont you. :D
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

what 'other bands'? Only bands/musicians I hav heard of is the inconsistent NIN and the odd indie artist giving away initial stuff as they try to make a name for themselves in order to get recognition.

And so far no-one from the 'Napster BAAAAD' crowd has been able to give me a convincing reason as to why they were and continue to have their panties in a bunch when they know the shit is illegal and that used to pay for the shit before and didnt whinge then? Oh apart from 'They're shit' or 'suck lars' dick' that is.
Last edited by BruceCamblzChin on 06 Sep 2008 03:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Oh gawd, lets go around in circles why dont we. NIN and radiohead for starters, not to mention that list of bands that loudly and proudly gave their support to napster at the time of the whole metallica ban saga.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

sorry hav update above