MetallicA fans...

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Blotto
Man Fairy
XBL ID: Blotto Otto
PSN ID: Blotts
Steam ID: Blotto_Otto

Post by Blotto »

I just listened to My Apocolypse and yeah its not bad....

at least its got structure, progression and sounds like a complete song unlike TDNC which is a complete mess.....
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

The heavy parts in one, fade to black and sanitarium relate to the main riffs musically and progress logically. The point is that in this song the last 2 mins felt totally tacked on, make little progressive sense and are an after thought unlike the (good) songs you mentioned.

Its been 20 years, move on? The PR claim of every metallica album ever since the horrible album load was that it will be a return to what metallica was always about; that they are back. As I've said before, they are the musical equivalent of sonic team.

Fair nuff, I'm probably not looking for them to be as heavy as they used to, but look at testament or slayers latest albums. They can churn the exact same fucking song again for the 150th time and it still sounds better than most of the music released today. Metallica are incapable of playing/writing how they used to, even if they wanted to.

Replica, machine head sux0rz teh cock. Rather, listen to devolved's cover of battery.
Blotto
Man Fairy

Post by Blotto »

mmm... I thought Slayers lastest was a huge disapointment after the brilliant God Hates Us All but as far as writing style and music that is solidly written after all these years you are spot on........

maybe im just getting harder to please in my old age.....

I think Metallica's problem is they've been riding the MTV train for so long I actually think their mentallity has permantely changed. It used to be about the music when they were younger... now it seems to be more about the image...

I remember once reading an interview where I think it was Lars that said 'yeah we used to wear wigs, our hair was never long' now I know he was probably mucking around when it was said but then I thought, can you imagine if Cliff Burton was still alive? He would've left this joke of a sideshow before the Black album was even released....
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

just listened to it, i like a good metal and i like metallica but this isnt a good song. For me it felt like it was leading up to something really good during the song but it didnt...it just didnt glue, felt like it been edited to the shit, adding and taking out bits... most parts of it were just plain disapointing. Some half decent riffs but nothing special at all. Time to nail the coffin and bury it.
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Metallica's idea of songwriting went to shit with St. Anger. You 'hardcore' people can rag on Load/Reload all you like, but you cannot deny that there's some fantastic songwriting on those two albums. If they weren't from Metallica, you'd probably be singing their praises. Seriously.

Anyway.

These are shitty recordings. I hope the album doesn't sound as heavily clipped as what I'm hearing (I had to get it from TPB, as the rapidshare link is dead)
The songs themselves (The Day That Never Comes and My Apocalypse) aren't anywhere near as bad as you think. There's a few awkward moments (the key change at the 1 minute mark of TDTNC, where the vocals come in, and the ending), but that's it. They're not great, they're just not shit. The ideas flow together much, much better than anything on St. Anger did.

My biggest problem with this pair of songs (and it doesn't bode well for the rest of the album..) is the really really awkward lyrics. There's some fucking terrible rhyming couplets being thrown around there.
Also, James' voice is far too prominent. He's not singing his best here (best showcased on Load/Reload and S&M, IMO), and it contrasts really poorly with the musicianship of the rest of the ensemble.

One more thing... remember that bit in Some Kind of Monster where Lars is bitching about how some guitar riff sounds "stock"?
Fucking think about that shit, Lars. Your drumming hasn't been inspiring for fucking years.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

You know I listened to Load and Reload recently and, since my shock/horror about them went away long ago, they're actually great albums, Load in particular, and are both well above Stanger which I think apart from a couple of songs will never rise above being shit.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

TDTNC is the stand out track for me. I really like the start of the tune with the lyrics, I was hoping it would go back to that at the end but the song just runs away and doesnt come back.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Blotto wrote:
Replica wrote:
After watching Some Kind of a Bullshit it is pretty clear they no longer have their heart or interest in music anymore. Probably time to just let it go and enjoy the money they have made.
yep... its nearly as bad as an episode of H&A or Neighbours..... seriously, the whole time you were just hoping that Lars and James would just punch the shit out of each other and get it over with....

But No, They do Therapy..... :down:
It is a bit of a shock to realise that ur metal gods actually hav feelings isn't it? But thats what happened in Some kind... and i thort it was long overdue, how that band stayed together after Cliff died i dunno. As bad as H&A? No i dont think so, i think it was deep, bottled up emotions coming to the surface after many years of punching the shit out each other, swearing at each other, and drinking hadn't worked on every album they had done previously. Newstead ended up as collateral damage.

If a book is ever realeased on the times in that band its gonna be a helluva read.
Ram
NEW ZEALAND GOVERNMENT INTERNET 1.1

Post by Ram »

LOL @ this thread

Im so amped for the new album,and im happy the boys have gone back to standard tuning.I love St Anger but im not the biggest fan of drop D and C .
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Ram wrote:LOL @ this thread

Im so amped for the new album,and im happy the boys have gone back to standard tuning.I love St Anger but im not the biggest fan of drop D and C .
Same - and I'm not a fan of Lars banging on pots instead of drums either...
Oooooooooooh, what a good band we are
Back from the brink of extinction, it seemed
Oooooooooooh, we play downtuned guitars
And boy it sounds "raw" to intentionally sing out of key
Back to our roots
These songs are long
And there are fast parts
So that automatically means that they're good!
DOUBLE BASS-AAAAAH!!!
Back to our roots
Complex just like "...Justice!"
Bob says that we are a jam band
And should write everything here on the spot
So I'm making all of this up as I go along
To capture these moments of genius
Listen to how well the songs flow!
Every part makes sense and is there for a reason
Well, I was in rehab
I'm an invisible outcast
I wanna cry, cry, cry
Life is so hard for me
No, Daddy, no!
Bob, help me!
Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill!
:D
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

lol at that tune
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I just listened to Cyanide.

It sounds hilariously close to Seek & Destroy in places. Having said that, I like it a lot (aside from the lame lyrics in places... I get the feeling everybody had a hand in the lyrics this time as well).
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Blotto
Man Fairy

Post by Blotto »

Texas wrote:
Ram wrote:LOL @ this thread

Same - and I'm not a fan of Lars banging on pots instead of drums either...
Oooooooooooh, what a good band we are
Back from the brink of extinction, it seemed
Oooooooooooh, we play downtuned guitars
And boy it sounds "raw" to intentionally sing out of key
Back to our roots
These songs are long
And there are fast parts
So that automatically means that they're good!
DOUBLE BASS-AAAAAH!!!
Back to our roots
Bob says that we are a jam band
And should write everything here on the spot
So I'm making all of this up as I go along
To capture these moments of genius
Listen to how well the songs flow!
Every part makes sense and is there for a reason
Well, I was in rehab
I'm an invisible outcast
I wanna cry, cry, cry
Life is so hard for me
No, Daddy, no!
Bob, help me!
Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill!
:D
:lol: funniest thing you've posted all week that hasnt been Liverpool related... :up:
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

Okay I have now listened to all three available Death Magnetic songs hundreds of times over.

Cyanide is a brilliant song. This is the sort of MetallicA song that I will be craving to listen to whenever my ears are free. This song is like oxygen, it is so awesome that I will need to listen to it frequently just like dozens of other MetallicA songs.

The Day That Never Comes. I like it a lot, my girl likes it. Awesome slower musical, more melodic part and awesome heavier metal part would have made 2 awesome separate songs. MetallicA bring the slower melodic and heavy parts together well, but those sections are so good in their own right that they deserve to be two separate songs.

My Apocalypse is great and connects MetallicA to their thrash roots. I am going to immensely enjoy this song when I am in a mood for thrash.

After Saint Anger, MetallicA has exceeded my expectations. Brilliant stuff and now I am more excited about the new album than a virgin before his first root!
Last edited by Misly on 31 Aug 2008 06:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blotto
Man Fairy

Post by Blotto »

Misly wrote: I am more excited about the new album than a virgin before his first root!
geez.... you're first root must have been shit.... very shit....

Did you lose your virginity to Roseanne Barr or something? :lol:
Last edited by Blotto on 31 Aug 2008 06:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

Blotto wrote:
Misly wrote: I am more excited about the new album than a virgin before his first root!
geez.... you're first root must have been shit.... very shit....

Did you lose your virginity to Roseanne Barr or something? :lol:
Compared to later roots, whos first root wasnt shit?

The virgins excitement generated by the anticipation of his first root cant possibly indicate that the shitness of the root anyway, hasnt happened yet :lol:

Fatties feel better from the inside dont they??
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Cyanide is better than the day that never comes. It is still obvious they are having difficulties with their progressions as in this song it seems to come completely apart rather than progress naturally in a few sections. Its the kind of thing that they should either rewrite so it flows or just omit altogether.

My apocalypse is ok too. The weakest part is definately the drumming, lars is just holding them back from having any sort of loud impact. Overall some decent riffs here, on par with some songs on reload(which is an album I quite like but obviously one of my least favourite).
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

30 second preview of each song from Death Magnetic. Sourced from the Walmart website before the content was removed.
All nightmare long is killer and the Unforgiven 3 is epic. Cyanide sounds even better!!! This album is brilliant.
Blotto
Man Fairy

Post by Blotto »

i'll admit.. some impressive stuff in there...

once again, I'll agree with Boomy.... Lars' drumming is quite fucking ordinary...

its just so 'meh'..... he could be doing so much more with his drumming parts...
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

the lead vocal is just so fucking flat. It's just one tone... ugh.

All the youth has left his voice :(
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

The Unforgiven III?

FFS... what about Fade to Blacker, Exit Sandman and The Fifth Horseman? Jesus H. Christ!
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

So if there was a One Two would you guys be pissed?

Personally I would love a sequel to the story song of One. Perhaps after stem cell therapy, darkness isnt imprisoning him, all that he see's isnt absolute horror, he can live, he can die, not trapped in himself, body his life vehicle

Stem cell therapy has restored his sight
restored his speech
restored his hearing
restored his arms
restored his legs
restored his soul
Left him with life again.

Okay, maybe not...
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Pffffft, do it properly!

Stem cells have given me sight!
Given me speech!
Given me hearing!
Given me arms!
Given me legs!
Gave me a soul
Given me life again!

...I'm almost tempted to do the whole song now :lol:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

ahahahaha, fuck it:
Metallica, in Two wrote:I can remember everything
I can tell that this is real
Outside, I can start to feel
This terrible noise, it helps me

Now that the doc is through with me,
I'm waking up and I can see
That there is so much left to be
Even my pain has gone now

Clean my teeth as I make some tea
Oh praise god, I breathe!

Back in my room, it's all surreal,
I see the pumps that made me feel
I look forward to my meal
Makes me feel so hungry!

Fed with a fork that I now hold
Just like I will when I'm old
Freed from the machines that me be,
I cut that shit off from me

Clean my teeth as I make some tea
Now the world is real, I am too

Stem cells have given me sight!
Given me speech!
Given me hearing!
Given me arms!
Given me legs!
Gave me a soul
Given me life again!
Misly
Blackened is the end

Post by Misly »

Love it.
:rock: