How can I record HDTV channels?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

KillKen
lazy
XBL ID: KillKen

How can I record HDTV channels?

Post by KillKen »

Hey guys I just got a samsung HDTV with the tuner built in. How do I record these channels anyone? Thanks.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

With a built in tuner you can't record them. You need to buy a seperate pvr hd box. You can get sd ones from $230 and the hd recorders are expensive, looking at $800-1k for a HD pvr.

The other option is you use a pc with a hdtv tuner which will allow to record tv shows. The benefits of the pc route is that you can usually extract and reencode the dvb stream and archive recordings to dvd etc.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

If you are to go down the HD-PVR option there is three contenders..

Toshiba's, LG's and Sony's.

The Toshiba has been out for some time, and is fmaous for having many many many problems. Apparently most of the problems have been ironed out, but many are still wary of their PVR.

The LG is quite recent and should be the cheapest of the three. It has excellent picture quality, and is overall a good product. There is one major problem though, you can't set two timer recorders that overlap despite the unit having two tuners. When one is set you can manually start the other so you can record two programs at once, though you have to be there to set off the second recording.

The Sony is also very recent and apparently suffers from pixelisation.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Hmm. I'm thinking of knocking up a Media Centre PC with plenty of HDD space and twin tuners. I shouldn't need to put it in the Lounge room as I can use my 360 as the extender.

I'd actually do it with my current PC but it wont have the grunt to record HDTV (not that there is any content available yet anyhow).

Actually fuck the whole idea. Free to air licks balls.