The Movie News Thread - new Trek rules, Man of Steel in June

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

I just buy whereever the best deal is.

I tend to use ebay more though.

When these imported things can be distributed by someone in the US and sold cheaper than you having to buy direct from japan, then I will wait for the US distributor and see if they can offer a better deal and shave off some $ off the total cost. And then what you do is email the competitor and ask them to price match it if they can. If they do, you gradually get more options open to you and more people are likely to buy the stuff when prices start to go down to reasonable level. (important when buying expensive stuff like this to shop around and haggle)

It's the shipping costs you got to watch out for. :up:

And yeah this is all way off-topic and shit, but it's also gameranch. Sif you guys haven't destroyed other people's threads either. heh :P
Last edited by GameHED on 27 Aug 2008 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

after what looked to be awesome from the trailer, Babylon AD, it appears it is a horrible mess that even the director doesn't want to touch.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38083" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Director Mathieu Kassovitz
"I'm very unhappy with the film," he says. "I never had a chance to do one scene the way it was written or the way I wanted it to be. The script wasn't respected. Bad producers, bad partners, it was a terrible experience."
Also, it seems Fox are trying to stop press from seeing the film before it opens.

YAY!
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Oh and yeah about that robocop remake:

I think like "Aliens" this is one 80s movie that really doesn't need a remake and can still be best watched as is, barring a few scenes of the jerky stop-motion animation used in RC.

If they just released the original with george lucas style edits and changes to those scene (CG enhanced ed209 for example and the 6000-SUX commerical with the dino) that'd be good.

All this hollywood fascination with remakes is getting a bit much. It works for batman because the later movies started to suck so it was a rescue operation. But for movies that were already good, why not just make a sequel like Rocky and Rambo? That is to say, you can have all the same themes from the originals (cop that wants to be treated as human not a product owned by a corporation) but revisit them in the new movie and at the same time also give us a new twist and a new thing for old fans to see.

Then new fans will want to go back and buy the dvds of the old movies as their interest in the history of the movie timeline develops once they like what they see. This way old fans, are not being pissed off. You are taking stuff they liked from the originals and building upon them. Robo like rambo was a violent movie and had a sense of humour but was also was cool. There are certain things in the formula you don't want to change too much yet at the same time need to improve on and move to new things.

Don't just reinvent the wheel. It shouldn't be a contest to see if yours can be better than the original. This is what pisses off the fan: it's a waste of money to go and see something they already saw decades ago that doesn't need to be revisited. If the motivation for doing is just for the sake of $, more than because it needs to be done then we'd rather see that effort put into something new within that movie universe.
Last edited by GameHED on 27 Aug 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

I think u are preaching to the converted there GH!

Altho I would leave stop motion in just coz its wikid.

What is a Babylon AD? Is it related to the TV show? Every time i hear the word Babylon I am reminded of Ali G talking about 'me Julie's babylon's' and I cannot take it seriously.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

some scifi with Vin Diesel.

I'm actaully looking forward to the reboot of Child's Play. But only because it is being done by the original production team.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

Yeah, I was looking forward to another sciifi fest with Vin Diesel, but now I'm not sure sure.

Just wish they'd hurry up and make another Riddick film!
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independe ... pongplaya/

Doesn't look anything special... but loved the last line :lol:
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Some CG renders from the upcoming Gatchaman film

http://felixip.blogspot.com/2008/08/gat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ts-01.html

http://felixip.blogspot.com/2008/08/gat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ot-02.html
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

Last week, it was reported that New Regency had put Voltron: Defender of the Universe into turnaround. The news said that Relativity Media is now backing the property with a more moderate budget, utilizing the type of cost-effective technology employed in films like 300. A director was going to be attached in a week.

Now, Latino Review has learned that Max Makowski will take on the directing duties for the project, which was written by Justin Marks.

Makowski directed 2005's One Last Dance, rewrote the screenplay for the Hawaii Five-O feature, and is attached to the direct the big screen adaptation of 1970s TV series Kung Fu and the Shinobi remake.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=48338
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
edgecrusher

Post by edgecrusher »

Brett Ratner wants to make a movie about Guitar Hero. He tells MTV:

“I love ‘Guitar Hero’ and I think it’s a part of pop culture. I would love to do a ‘Guitar Hero’ movie, if Activision would ever let me. I’m trying to convince them, but why would you have a movie screw up such a huge franchise? Not that I would make a bad movie. So that would be cool, to do a ‘Guitar Hero’ movie.

“It could be about a kid from a small town who dreams of being a rock star and he wins the ‘Guitar Hero’ competition. One of these dreams-[come-true] kind of concepts.”
Gay.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Sif, that film could have an awesome two-pronged effect.

1. We get The Wiz II.
2. Brett Ratner flops hard and is given less work.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

http://au.askmen.com/video/2008_apr/apr02.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zack and Miri trailer.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Looks pretty cute. I laughed a fair bit through that trailer. Thumbs up to Kevin Smith I say.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

After Clerks II I'll be there day 1 for this. I admit I think I'm going to miss the view askew universe though.
edgecrusher

Post by edgecrusher »

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" co-creator Kevin Eastman has confirmed the rumors that Imagi and Warner Bros. are in talks to develop a new live-action movie based on the characters. He posted the following at HeavyMetal.com:

Yes, it is true. Although the CGI film did well enough to warrent a sequel, there has been much talk between Imagi and Warners to do a better "re-invention" (newest Hollywood buzzword) of the TMNT's, in a live action film--like what was done with Batman. Back to basics, back to the origin and the intro of the Shredder, etc...there have been talks, trips to Northampton to talk to Mr Laird, and discussions with the original "first" TMNT film director Steve Barron to come back and do it right--but no official word yet...will keep you posted. Best, Kevin
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

Yeah I saw this earlier today. Last thing I ever expected them to be considering was another live action movie.

Sounds like they are wanting a more mature or darker style movie if they are trying to get the director of the original back. Remember that one? Compared to the two sequels it was like Batman Begins in style.

Now a darker Batman Begins/Dark Knight Turtles reboot would be so much more awesome than the emo superman they're planning on.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

The original Ninja Turtles film was so fucking awesome its not funny.

COME BACK HERE! I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU! ......DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

edgecrusher wrote:
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" co-creator Kevin Eastman has confirmed the rumors that Imagi and Warner Bros. are in talks to develop a new live-action movie based on the characters. He posted the following at HeavyMetal.com:

Yes, it is true. Although the CGI film did well enough to warrent a sequel, there has been much talk between Imagi and Warners to do a better "re-invention" (newest Hollywood buzzword) of the TMNT's, in a live action film--like what was done with Batman. Back to basics, back to the origin and the intro of the Shredder, etc...there have been talks, trips to Northampton to talk to Mr Laird, and discussions with the original "first" TMNT film director Steve Barron to come back and do it right--but no official word yet...will keep you posted. Best, Kevin
the cgi turtles movie was not so bad...but this new news has my dick wet..

make it happen people make IT HAPPEN...
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

Fingers crossed for Krang & the Technodrome to be in this new live-action flick!
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

yeah we never seen krang or the technodrome in all movies, yet he was the main boss in the cartoons, lol what was his big robot called again where he sat in it stomach?

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
jahooley

Post by jahooley »

I think its just called the exo-suit.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Krang was loosely based on the hidden alien race that was living on earth that is in the comics and the newest cartoon series. They were TGRI the makers of the mutagen.

Most of The Shredder's technology is based on the Alien technology (modified by Baxter Stockman) of course and the first Shredder suit was actually an exosuit worn by escaped brain alien. He had escaped to Earth during fuedal Japan period. I think he might have actually formed The Foot (it has been awhile since I have read the comics, and I am watching the newer cartoon series so very slowly)

I hope we never see Krang or the technodrome again. Please just make it dark and based on the comic books. Just like the original film.
jahooley

Post by jahooley »

Krang was in the comics, wasn't he? He was well more evil than the cartoon.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

It might have been the name of the alien who escaped to earth during the old Japan days. I can't confirm that though... like I said it has been ages since I have read the comics.

I'm actually suprised the announcement came from Kevin Eastman though. He hasn't had anything to do with Turtles in years. It's pretty much been Peter Laird's show.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

The CG movie wasn't bad. After Kung Fu Panda I want a sequel to that. See if they can top the moves in that movie.

Did you all see kung fu panda? The fighting is actually well done!
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto