AFL Season 2006

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Because their AFL history was born from their SANFL history which contains unprecedented success. Port are famous enough that they can enter the AFL comp as is. That's why they're perceived to have more history and heritage than the throw-together Crows. I say this as a Victorian footy supporter.

That said Froggy has spent much time commenting negatively on the Crows. Frankly from a Vic's perspective both WA and SA fans seem to go to extremes in supporting their team and hating their state's other team.
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

The way I see it from my Vic point of view is that Post supporters are like Collingwood fans but with the cockiness of the upteen SANFL premierships. AFL Shmayfl, doesn't matter, it won't change for a generation or two.

Adelaide supporters want to beat a) the Vics in whatever they do, and b) wipe the smile off Port's face. Premierships have helped this.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

My issue with PA is that they feel aggrieved about everything. Like, "we wanna wear black and white too, make Collingwood change" or 'Adelaide poach all the talent.'
I can stomach the Crows. Macca and Roo are 2 of the best players I have seen. PA? C**ts.
Oh, Goodes deserved the Brownlow, champion on and off the field.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Aggrieved about everything? Because we want to wear our traditional colours and are part of probably the only professional league in the world that won't allow two clubs to wear the same kind of top. Port's prison bar guersney is a lot different to collingwood's and I can't see why they can't wear it and simply have an away jumper again the pies.

Adelaide poach all the talent lol never heard this one before and I'm not sure how it would even be an issue.

You are right Peppermint Lounge, it's mainly due to the majority being Crows supporters in SA and the amount of crap Port supporters got for losing out of the finals for a couple of years straight is now biting them back on the arse. Karma.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

brent wrote:
Froggy wrote:
Texas wrote:Port fans are like Collingwood fans with a bigger chip on their shoulder, and more teeth
Why would Port fans have a big chip on their shoulder? It's the other way around here, the Crows fans have an inferiority complex to Port.
:lol: How exactly do you figure that?

Crows have exceeded expectations on a vast number of occasions. The back to back premierships and last two years as an example, whereas it is the opposite for Port. How could any Crows fan feel inferior to Ports AFL history is beyond me.
What you have exceeded expectations once? with back to back premierships a decade ago. You were flag favourites this year, how is that exceeding expecations, you choked in a home prelim! They feel inferior because of our history and the fact that we already have a winning record against you.
brent

Post by brent »

Froggy wrote:
brent wrote:
Froggy wrote: Why would Port fans have a big chip on their shoulder? It's the other way around here, the Crows fans have an inferiority complex to Port.
:lol: How exactly do you figure that?

Crows have exceeded expectations on a vast number of occasions. The back to back premierships and last two years as an example, whereas it is the opposite for Port. How could any Crows fan feel inferior to Ports AFL history is beyond me.
What you have exceeded expectations once? with back to back premierships a decade ago. You were flag favourites this year, how is that exceeding expecations, you choked in a home prelim! They feel inferior because of our history and the fact that we already have a winning record against you.
Take a look back 1 year mate. We weren't even expected to finish in the top 8 - a consensus held by a vast majority of who are considered knowledgeable or have some credability about what they say. Where did we finish? 1st and a prelim appearance.

We were flag favourites through the year, but certainly weren't heading into the finals, especially after the form we showed towards the end of the year. Many people expected us to lose to Freo at home considering we did a few weeks before. We crushed them with a severely depleted list. This year, we weren't even favourites to win the home prelim and the team that beat us finished higher than us on the ladder. You just wish that you could apply the same theory to Adelaide as was laid out on your team, but the facts are different.

SANFL history does not equal AFL history. Port Adelaide Magpies have excellent and notable SANFL history. You were formed from a state club with strong history, congratulations, now build that history in the AFL. Stop trying to hold on to your prestige of a different league and time. You have won 1 flag and probably should have won more.
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

brent wrote:[SANFL history does not equal AFL history. Port Adelaide Magpies have excellent and notable SANFL history. You were formed from a state club with strong history, congratulations, now build that history in the AFL. Stop trying to hold on to your prestige of a different league and time. You have won 1 flag and probably should have won more.
FIXED.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Peppermint Lounge wrote: Frankly from a Vic's perspective both WA and SA fans seem to go to extremes in supporting their team and hating their state's other team.
You can never go too far 8)
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

SA and WA fans are pretty similar...

WA fans tend to support the other WA team if their own is out.

SA fans wish nothing but wooden spoons and misfortune for their cross town rivals.

WA fans have more of a chip on their shoulder re: VIC teams. SA loves nothing more than beating VIC... but WA seems to spend just as much time worrying about how VIC is out to get them.

Oh... and looking forward to a great game this weekend.

I still think that Sydney are going to be able to exploit Wet Toasts inability to create opportunities inside 50. It just depends on Sydney's ability to manage West Coast's midfield dominance.

Ambrose... don't forget to PM me your address if and when Lynch stands on dias with five or more goals under his belt :lol:
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:Except for Darwi of course, but that only because he got 3 Brownlow votes and won us the game against Hawthorn :P
Unfortunately I simply don't have the time to maintain personal vendettas against all the players who have picked up three votes against Hawthorn lately... :redface:
Ambrose Burnside

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

Should be an awesome match tommorrow.

Sydney can't stop the Eagles midfield (nobody can)... but what they will concentrate on doing is;

a) stop them running inside 50 and kicking goals themselves.

b) forcing as many stoppages as possible (the only midfield situation where the Swans have the advantage).

They want the Eagles midfield to have to kick the ball long and high into the 50.

The Eagles on the otherhand will want to run, break the lines with handballs, and run the ball inside 50 (where they can either kick at goal themselves or chip to an uncontested mark).

Hope it's as fierce a contest as last year...
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

The only reson why i think Sydney will win is their tight defense, hard work ethic and relentless pressure. If that works and the scores are low, i think Sydney will win, however if west coasts midfield dominates and keeps kicking it into their 50, West coast have many options and it will be game over for Sydney. Hopefully Sydneys defense is what i said it will be and they'll win in a low scoring hard game
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
Ambrose Burnside

Darwi wrote:b) forcing as many stoppages as possible (the only midfield situation where the Swans have the advantage).
Barely. They're 1 and we're 2, but Judd is the best in the competition at winning the contested possession, and Kerr hasn't played against Sydney all year (and last year's grand final hardly counts either, considering he was injured in the opening minutes of the game).

GO EAGLES!!!

Peter Sumich (Assistant Coach for those not in the know) told Dennis Cometti on the news yesterday to expect to see more players helping out Glass and co. in the backline :up:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

brent wrote:
Froggy wrote:
brent wrote: :lol: How exactly do you figure that?

Take a look back 1 year mate. We weren't even expected to finish in the top 8 - a consensus held by a vast majority of who are considered knowledgeable or have some credability about what they say. Where did we finish? 1st and a prelim appearance.

We were flag favourites through the year, but certainly weren't heading into the finals, especially after the form we showed towards the end of the year. Many people expected us to lose to Freo at home considering we did a few weeks before. We crushed them with a severely depleted list. This year, we weren't even favourites to win the home prelim and the team that beat us finished higher than us on the ladder. You just wish that you could apply the same theory to Adelaide as was laid out on your team, but the facts are different.

SANFL history does not equal AFL history. Port Adelaide Magpies have excellent and notable SANFL history. You were formed from a state club with strong history, congratulations, now build that history in the AFL. Stop trying to hold on to your prestige of a different league and time. You have won 1 flag and probably should have won more.
Ahahaha another who obviously cannot handle the choker tag. You can't just claim you weren't favourites because you say so, you were, use all the excuses you want, you were expected to beat freo, you did not have a severly depleted list, same injuries as the other teams going around at that time of year and you did choke lol, you were leading by 20 at half time with a 4 goal breeze behind you in the 3rd with only 2 key players out. Face it, you choked but it seems it's hard for the Crows fans to admit it. It's amazing how the advertiser puts a choker collar pic when we lost the second year in a row and you get a 'they were save brave' headline.

If SANFL history doesn't count why does VFL history? We may as well say collingwood etc have only one flag then?
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

WHAT A GAME! Best thing to happen was the Eagles to get a lead it forced Sydney to attack and man it was end to end, excellent stuff heart stopping!
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
brent

Post by brent »

Ahahaha another who obviously cannot handle the choker tag. You can't just claim you weren't favourites because you say so, you were, use all the excuses you want, you were expected to beat freo, you did not have a severly depleted list, same injuries as the other teams going around at that time of year and you did choke lol, you were leading by 20 at half time with a 4 goal breeze behind you in the 3rd with only 2 key players out. Face it, you choked but it seems it's hard for the Crows fans to admit it. It's amazing how the advertiser puts a choker collar pic when we lost the second year in a row and you get a 'they were save brave' headline.
If SANFL history doesn't count why does VFL history? We may as well say collingwood etc have only one flag then?[/quote]

The TAB said we weren't favourites, thats good enough for me. When there is that much money involved the betting agencies give out odds related to form, and Freo were favourites. Regardless, I had thought we would beat Freo. We didn't have a severely depleted list? 4 out of our 5 top goal scorers for the year DID NOT PLAY. Names like Burton, Hart, Roo, Macleod, Hentschel don't count as severely depleted? Fuck man you live in a dream world.

We should have beat West Coast, we lost the game for ourselves. I never denied that. This year we were expected to do well and we didn't get as far as we should have. We didn't choke last year though, because we weren't even expected to make the top 8, we exceed expectation by far.

If West Coast had lost that game on the weekend, would they have choked or would have Sydney been praised for applying pressure and turning the tables?

Go and count SANFL history if you think it will give you credibility, but no one but a Power supporter would even claim or support that they count to your tally. Port Adelaide Magpies / Port Adelaide Power are different. Does your premiership count go up by two if both teams win in any given year?
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

brent wrote:
The TAB said we weren't favourites, thats good enough for me. When there is that much money involved the betting agencies give out odds related to form, and Freo were favourites. Regardless, I had thought we would beat Freo. We didn't have a severely depleted list? 4 out of our 5 top goal scorers for the year DID NOT PLAY. Names like Burton, Hart, Roo, Macleod, Hentschel don't count as severely depleted? Fuck man you live in a dream world.

We should have beat West Coast, we lost the game for ourselves. I never denied that. This year we were expected to do well and we didn't get as far as we should have. We didn't choke last year though, because we weren't even expected to make the top 8, we exceed expectation by far.

If West Coast had lost that game on the weekend, would they have choked or would have Sydney been praised for applying pressure and turning the tables?

Go and count SANFL history if you think it will give you credibility, but no one but a Power supporter would even claim or support that they count to your tally. Port Adelaide Magpies / Port Adelaide Power are different. Does your premiership count go up by two if both teams win in any given year?
Hentschel was and is still way over rated he was yet to prove himself so I do not count him as a big loss. Bock is a much better player and proved his quality at the end of the west coast game with a couple of excellent kicks under intense pressure. You had a few unjuries the first week, boo hoo so did west coast etc, u had stuff all missing against west coast so it's no excuse, every team that gets to the premiership usually does it missing a couple of big names. The TAB gives out odds relating to who they think will win so they don't lose any money, not related to form. If more people put money on West Coast then they'll reduce their odds to protect against huge loses.

There is no choke once you make the GF because anything can happen, the point is Port was critized for finishing top 2 and not making the GF, just like u guys did this year, no one is talking about last year, but this year, huge choke, the pressure was too much in the heads of the boys from West Lakes, looks like it could be another decade before they are a chance again, rebuilding time down there.

Look it's OK if you want to deny Port Adelaide's history but then going by your rules VFL history must be ignored as well, so collingwood have only 1 flag, north melb 2 etc. It's not all the other clubs fault that they have history and traditions and don't have a corporation feel to them, I mean aren't you a little ashamed at player availability and that fucking shed? How much of a slap in the face is that, no club rooms, no atmosphere, no soul.

Of course our premiership count doesn't go up if both teams win in a year, you are just being stupid now, again if Box Hill wins and Hawthorn wins do they count it as two? Hang on, Hawthorn has no VFL history anymore they haven't won any AFL premierships have they.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Sorry brent like I said Port is perceived to have more history than the Crows. The Crows were put together to represent SA at AFL level. This is reflected in their colours, name, early recruiting/coaching staff. As soon as Port entered the AFL comp there was a shitstorm as the heritage of Port and Collingwood locked heads. The Port Adelaide Magpies are widely known as the most successful Aus Footy club in history.

That's not to say the Crows deserve less respect, just that Port are widely known for their SANFL history and success. It's not confined to their supporter base as you suggest.
skinner

Post by skinner »

Congrats to Frogmeister for taking out the tipping comp. 8) (Whoever that is on here :D).
Ambrose Burnside

Froggy wrote:Hang on, Hawthorn has no VFL history anymore they haven't won any AFL premierships have they.
They beat the Eagles in 1991 :(
brent

Post by brent »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Sorry brent like I said Port is perceived to have more history than the Crows. The Crows were put together to represent SA at AFL level. This is reflected in their colours, name, early recruiting/coaching staff. As soon as Port entered the AFL comp there was a shitstorm as the heritage of Port and Collingwood locked heads. The Port Adelaide Magpies are widely known as the most successful Aus Footy club in history.

That's not to say the Crows deserve less respect, just that Port are widely known for their SANFL history and success. It's not confined to their supporter base as you suggest.
I said no Crows supporter would feel inferior to Port's AFL history, what they are born from doesn't mean shit to me. The Crows are born from a number of SANFL clubs (of which the father-son rule is applicable) but I'd never count them as Crows history. I don't deny that Port Adelaide Magpies are the most sucessful SANFL club in the history of the competition, who could? We joined their competition (VFL), they didn't join ours, which is why I separate the two and comment the way I have.

EDIT - clarified below.
Last edited by brent on 03 Oct 2006 04:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brent

Post by brent »

Froggy wrote: You had a few unjuries the first week, boo hoo so did west coast etc, u had stuff all missing against west coast so it's no excuse, every team that gets to the premiership usually does it missing a couple of big names. The TAB gives out odds relating to who they think will win so they don't lose any money, not related to form. If more people put money on West Coast then they'll reduce their odds to protect against huge loses.

There is no choke once you make the GF because anything can happen, the point is Port was critized for finishing top 2 and not making the GF, just like u guys did this year, no one is talking about last year, but this year, huge choke, the pressure was too much in the heads of the boys from West Lakes, looks like it could be another decade before they are a chance again, rebuilding time down there.

Look it's OK if you want to deny Port Adelaide's history but then going by your rules VFL history must be ignored as well, so collingwood have only 1 flag, north melb 2 etc. It's not all the other clubs fault that they have history and traditions and don't have a corporation feel to them, I mean aren't you a little ashamed at player availability and that fucking shed? How much of a slap in the face is that, no club rooms, no atmosphere, no soul.

Of course our premiership count doesn't go up if both teams win in a year, you are just being stupid now, again if Box Hill wins and Hawthorn wins do they count it as two? Hang on, Hawthorn has no VFL history anymore they haven't won any AFL premierships have they.
The Hentschel/Bock debate is really 50 of one 50 of the other. Hentschel kicked enough goals this year to prove he has stepped up in the forward line and is a big difference maker. Bock did well under pressure. No other team had the injury toll akin to ours against Freo in the finals.

Read my last post, I said we lost ourselves the game against West Coast. My comments about last years performance and beating Freo were in relation to your "Crows havent overachieved since the double premiership comments," but that is something you chose to ignore after you brought it up.

Regardless, you and I aren't going to agree on this one. I said I am, and never will feel inferior to your AFL history, because its not as good as the Crows. Am I ashamed at our shed and player availability? Not in the slightest. I've supported my team since they were put in the competition and will regardless of who we have available to us now and in the future.

1 more question - If Port Adelaide Magpies win more flags (or any since the Power's inception) what is their tally added to? i.e If you want to claim PAM history as AFL history, then I say any flag won since your inception to the national competition starts the tally over as you should not be able to have both. Its 1 or the other. This is why I argue the point that I do. If you are happy to say any flag the Magpies won after Port joined the AFL restarts their tally, then I will agree that Port has the most extensive AFL history of any club.
Ambrose Burnside

If you finish on top, you should at least make the Grand Final. The 2005 Adelaide Crows choked bad. Considering they led at 3 quarter time at home after a week's break in this year's Preliminary Final, the Crows of 2006 aren't much better.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

brent wrote:
Froggy wrote:
1 more question - If Port Adelaide Magpies win more flags (or any since the Power's inception) what is their tally added to? i.e If you want to claim PAM history as AFL history, then I say any flag won since your inception to the national competition starts the tally over as you should not be able to have both. Its 1 or the other. This is why I argue the point that I do. If you are happy to say any flag the Magpies won after Port joined the AFL restarts their tally, then I will agree that Port has the most extensive AFL history of any club.
See there's the problem, it does do your head in, I have many Crows supporter friends like you who simply can't get their heads around the port power/magpies history thing it cracks me up. I say again, it's no different to Collingwood winning a flag in the VFL, they will say we've won 40 VFL flags etc and 1 afl... it is really not that hard. Your history is better than ours? LOL.