AFL Season 2006

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Oh look how the Crows treated Ben Hart, just like a corporation!
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
brent

Post by brent »

Froggy wrote:Oh look how the Crows treated Ben Hart, just like a corporation!
It sucks for Ben Hart to not be offered another contract as he is our last player remaining from the team that first joined the competition. However, he has had a fair run of injuries in the last few years and yes, football is a business. Our backline is solid and he 32 and struggled with injury. He has been offered a communications manager/representative job within the club. He has hardly just been thrown out on the street.

Maybe the Crows should have paid his massive contract to have him sit on the sidelines for 3/4 of the year?
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

brent wrote:
Maybe the Crows should have paid his massive contract to have him sit on the sidelines for 3/4 of the year?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Froggy wrote:I say again, it's no different to Collingwood winning a flag in the VFL, they will say we've won 40 VFL flags etc and 1 afl... it is really not that hard.
Nah it is different. The VFL evolved to become AFL. VFL clubs remained as is - the only thing that changed was the league badge on their jumpers. I agree Port's SANFL history counts but it's not the same as Collingwood's VFL history on issues such as premiership count, years in the competition and other historical statistics. When referring to the comp over time it's referred to as the VFL/AFL ie: a single competition.
brent

Post by brent »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:
Froggy wrote:I say again, it's no different to Collingwood winning a flag in the VFL, they will say we've won 40 VFL flags etc and 1 afl... it is really not that hard.
Nah it is different. The VFL evolved to become AFL. VFL clubs remained as is - the only thing that changed was the league badge on their jumpers. I agree Port's SANFL history counts but it's not the same as Collingwood's VFL history on issues such as premiership count, years in the competition and other historical statistics. When referring to the comp over time it's referred to as the VFL/AFL ie: a single competition.
Exactly.
brent

Post by brent »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:
brent wrote:
Damn sure if Craigy was coach that the big Duck wouldn't have been in Adelaide colours.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Keep telling yourself that guys keep telling yourselves.

The big duck gave you a shot at the cup a few years ago so good thing u actually got him. Craigy isn't not the messiah, if anything he has proven to ruin football with some disgracefully negative tactics which don't work in finals.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
brent

Post by brent »

Froggy wrote:Keep telling yourself that guys keep telling yourselves.

The big duck gave you a shot at the cup a few years ago so good thing u actually got him. Craigy isn't not the messiah, if anything he has proven to ruin football with some disgracefully negative tactics which don't work in finals.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

His win/loss record more than speaks for itself. Playing 1 loose player in defense is hardly anything Craig introduced, nor was flooding and posession football which has been in the game far longer than he became a senior coach. Those tactics worked against Freo, and got us close against West Coast had we not lost it for ourselves.

I never said the big duck was bad or that he didn't give us a shot at the flag, I said Craigy wouldn't have taken him. That is because its not how he works, he has, and wants to continue to develop the younger players on our list so we can have a better future rather than applying bandaid solutions to snag a flag.
Ambrose Burnside

brent wrote:
Froggy wrote:Keep telling yourself that guys keep telling yourselves.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

His win/loss record more than speaks for itself. Playing 1 loose player in defense is hardly anything Craig introduced, nor was flooding and posession football which has been in the game far longer than he became a senior coach. Those tactics worked against Freo, and got us close against West Coast had we not lost it for ourselves.

I never said the big duck was bad or that he didn't give us a shot at the flag, I said Craigy wouldn't have taken him. That is because its not how he works, he has, and wants to continue to develop the younger players on our list so we can have a better future rather than applying bandaid solutions to snag a flag.
Neil Craig is a fantastic coach if you ignore the following:

a) the game isn't against the Eagles
b) the game isn't a final

although to be fair b) affects South Australia in general :wink:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
brent

Post by brent »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:
Neil Craig is a fantastic coach if you ignore the following:

a) the game isn't against the Eagles
b) the game isn't a final

although to be fair b) affects South Australia in general :wink:
:D A definately applies, especially when it involves B. :D
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

It's all the Lynch factor Ambrose.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Froggy wrote:It's all the Lynch factor Ambrose.
8)

Andrew McDougall, Travis Gaspar and Michael Gardiner (of course) have all been told by the Eagles to bugger off. Phil Matera will be officially delisted. Apart from Matera who didn't play this year anyway, they're all KPP Darwi, we have so much depth in that department it's scary :wink:

Josh Wooden and Damien Adkins will have to wait until after trade week for their futures to be decided. The Eagles are unsure whether to persist with Brad Smith (who has yet to play a game of AFL footy because of knee reconstructions required due to injures suffered during the last two preseasons). Smith was meant to be our saviour at full-forward, but everyone except Darwi acknowledges that Quinten Lynch now owns that position.

Drew Banfield is almost certain to announce his retirement at tonight's club championship dinner.

Ashley Sampi has signed a new one year deal, and Rowan Jones will sign his new deal any day now. Rookies Steven Armstrong and Matt Priddis (the record-breaking Sandover Medallist) will be promoted, but I think all the other rookies (including Andrew Embley's brother Michael) will leave.

The bulk of our squad will be around for a while yet. If Banfield retires, Grand Final hero Daniel Chick will be the oldest player at 30, with Ben Cousins and Michael Braun next at 28. Of the 16 clubs, we are outside the top 8 in terms of age and experience. Awesome.

In the draft, we need a ruckman I think. We only have two: Cox and Seaby, so we need another one in case of injuries: our forward line is craptacular when Lynch is forced into the ruck (even though he's not a real full-forward, right Darwi?)

For next year, I want Jaymie Graham to bulk up over summer so he can hold down CHB. How dangerous will Hunter become when he's free to play anywhere he likes? :shock: They'll be a lot of competition next year for small forward positions too: Sampi vs. Armstrong vs. LeCras. Lynch should be aiming for an 80-goal season. It's a great time to be an Eagles fan :up:
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Daniel Chick is 30? Fark me where are the years going?

I've been very disappointed with footy this year and it's not just because I'm an Essendon supporter. It's been a cumulative effect year on year but I'm finding the huge number of basic skill errors in today's game makes it virtually unwatchable. Professional footballers regularly missing set shots inside 35m let alone 50. Constant fumbling, indecision, propping, silly short passes - all by-products of todays high posession game. And I find increasingly unbearable the constant appealing and gesturing to umpires players are permitted to indulge in these days, particularly players appealing for holding the ball decisions when the ball is at the bottom of a pack. It looks so fucking stupid!!! Writing this makes me sound like one of those old farts but footy really isn't the spectacle it once was.
Ambrose Burnside

Michael Voss has retired :(
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Daniel Chick is 30? Fark me where are the years going?

I've been very disappointed with footy this year and it's not just because I'm an Essendon supporter. It's been a cumulative effect year on year but I'm finding the huge number of basic skill errors in today's game makes it virtually unwatchable. Professional footballers regularly missing set shots inside 35m let alone 50. Constant fumbling, indecision, propping, silly short passes - all by-products of todays high posession game. And I find increasingly unbearable the constant appealing and gesturing to umpires players are permitted to indulge in these days, particularly players appealing for holding the ball decisions when the ball is at the bottom of a pack. It looks so fucking stupid!!! Writing this makes me sound like one of those old farts but footy really isn't the spectacle it once was.
I agree with everything you wrote Pep (and not just cause i barrack for Carlton :D )!
Aussie Rules just seems to be going backwards... The game is now all about keeping possession. Passing backwards to a man on his own instead of passing to a leading player, or a player in a pack situation is rare to see, as is seeing a player taking the ultimate risk by running and bouncing the ball! No one wants to take risks anymore. (I must say though, i quite enjoy the Bulldogs style of play, most of the time... it seems somewhat free-flowing).
I can't believe i'm going to say this but, apart from the pathetic ref robbing us (Storm) of the grand final :lol: , i actually derived as much enjoyment out of the rugby league as i did the AFL this year, and i don't follow league at all!
Ambrose Burnside

Pffft.

The Grand Final was one of the best games of all time. One-on-one contests all over the ground, players willing to run and bounce, a close margin: it had everything.

Football in the "good old days" wasn't always good. They were all played on crappy suburban crapholes with more mud than grass, and players who could take a huge pack mark were pretty damn rare. More often then not the game degenerated into a series of ball ups because everyone jumped on the ball after no one in the pack could mark.

Bitter Victorians.

Eagles > *
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

Bye Vossy :(
Ambrose Burnside

Last five minutes of the Grand Final:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=A7TjivRqOb8[/youtube]

In other news, Drew Banfield, the most successful No. 1 draft pick in history, announced his retirement during the Eagles club championship dinner on Friday night. It was inevitable, but still :cry:
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Trade week starts with a Bang, boys, Aker has already been traded to the Dogs....
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

Phew... back from a 2 week driving holiday with the kids around WA (Bunbury - Albany - Esperence - Kalgoorlie - Bunbury). Great fun...

Are we there yet?

Adelaide... didn't choke, just succumbed under the inevitable weight of injuries. That's simply bad luck... but unfortunately history can be a cruel judge. Last year surprised everyone (I don't know anyone who picked them to even make the eight)... but this year they were the goods. If they don't pick up a flag in the next two years it will be deemed wasteful.

Craig looks to be a good coach... but he did piss me off earlier in the year. The Hawks played them in a pre-season cup match... and mounted a comeback towards the end. The Crows reacted to the Hawks late surge by flooding the back line. Craig then came out in the post match press conference and critisised the Hawks for being negative.
Ambrose Burnside

Darwi wrote:Phew... back from a 2 week driving holiday with the kids around WA (Bunbury - Albany - Esperence - Kalgoorlie - Bunbury). Great fun...

Are we there yet?

Adelaide... didn't choke, just succumbed under the inevitable weight of injuries. That's simply bad luck... but unfortunately history can be a cruel judge. Last year surprised everyone (I don't know anyone who picked them to even make the eight)... but this year they were the goods. If they don't pick up a flag in the next two years it will be deemed wasteful.

Craig looks to be a good coach... but he did piss me off earlier in the year. The Hawks played them in a pre-season cup match... and mounted a comeback towards the end. The Crows reacted to the Hawks late surge by flooding the back line. Craig then came out in the post match press conference and critisised the Hawks for being negative.
Two Preliminary Final losses in a row = choke. Being something like 5 or 6 goals in front at home in a Preliminary Final against a team that had no week off only to lose by 10 points? That's a choke of the sort only South Australia can produce.

We have Lynch, Adelaide don't. The end. 8)

Next year Adelaide won't have a ruckman either. At least this time they have an excuse before the season starts, rather than having to come up with some after they've been knocked out before the Grand Final despite dominating the bulk of the season :lol:
brent

Post by brent »

I refuse to even bite at that Ambrose. :fight
Ambrose Burnside

What about the fact that over the last two years (2005 and 2006), Adelaide have won more games than any other team in the competition (except the Eagles, of course), but have no premiership to show for their efforts? And now you have no ruckmen, and your team is full of old fossils! :lol:

:D
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

As I said before... while Adelaide's results have been valid for their luck with injuries... but history can be a cruel judge. If they don't pick up flag next year it will look bad.

And if they don't secure a decent ruck in the PSD they are in trouble.

Now... from an email sent to me... if AFL teams were women...

Sydney would be J-Lo - quality all over, but especially good down back.

West Coast would be Kylie Minogue - very decent despite not having much up front.

Fremantle would be Danni Minogue - always trying hard to be as good as her big sister, but will never measure up. The butt of everyone's jokes.

Saint Kilda would be Krystal from Big Brother - has the biggest and best assets going around, but we all know they're not the real deal.

Brisbane would be Elle MacPherson - past her glorious best but still easy on the eye and an old favourite with most.

Port Power would be Madonna - also past her glorious best, but refuses to accept it gracefully.

Carlton would be Whitney Houston - has not looked after herself in recent years and has gone completely off the rails.

Adelaide would be Delta Goodrem - tidy, attractive, professional and uncontroversial. Nice to look at, but for some reason just makes you want to yawn.

Geelong would be Britney Spears - at times can look stunning, at others it can get ugly.

Essendon would be Katie Holmes - has a certifiable psycho in charge of her every move. Has lost credibility in recent times.

The Kangaroos would be Paris Hilton - lays down way too easily.

Richmond would be Annabel Chong - can cop a pounding and keep coming back for more, all in the name of self-improvement.

Western Bulldogs would be Shakira - proof that being short is no barrier to getting you excited. Will only get better too.

Hawthorn would be Christina Aguilera - looks like she enjoys it rough and dirty.

Melbourne would be Princess Di - may be blue blood, but hasn't done anything for a while.

Collingwood would be Amelie Mauresmo - last woman on Earth scenario: you still wouldn't.
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

haha, classic.
all truthful and relevant
Essendon and Katie Holmes being the funniest imo