Google concerns me...

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Google concerns me...

Post by lestat »

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 39,00.html

Android OS and now a browser, looks like google are looking to take over the desktop, but I'm not sure if a company with the wealth of information like google should be also entrenched in your machine. Potentially a way for them to further mine more personal information about people.

Anyone else concerned about this? Or am I just overreacting.
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

*insert gamehed post with mention of skynet*
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

Wonder what this will mean for the future of MS.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

It is all getting a little scary. I remember reading about some of the lawsuits google is facing from media companies (for content up on youtube). Some of the them had tried to subpoena google to provide their ip logs, for youtube and search. I've got to be honest, and I may be incredibly naive, but before I read this it didn't even cross my mind that search engines would store ip logs of searches that had been made. In the US ip logs have been used as evidence against individuals in criminal trials etc (ie. a man convicted of murdering his wife had conducted searches on poisoning etc).

Hope none of you boys have every conducted any terrorism related searches!!
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

I think I will switch career away from IT in the next few years.

*saves rant. You can read into that what I think.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Re: Google concerns me...

Post by Talez »

lestat wrote:Or am I just overreacting.
This.

It's open source ffs.
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Corey wrote:Wonder what this will mean for the future of MS.
Not much until Google release a stand-alone x86 OS.

I will be very interested to see how this goes, seeing as it's based on WebKit (the Apple Open-Source rendering framework.) I just hope it renders like Safari, so us poor web dorks don't have to add another set of browser hacks into our work (it's gonna be bad enough when IE8 is released)

EDIT: I'm much more interested in Ubiquity at the moment - it's a plug-in for Firefox that... just does stuff for you. Hard to explain, easy to show: the video here explains it better than I can.
And besides, it's being made by Aza Raskin (son of Jef) so you know it's going to kick ass...
Last edited by Texas on 02 Sep 2008 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Texas wrote:I will be very interested to see how this goes, seeing as it's based on WebKit (the Apple Open-Source rendering framework.) I just hope it renders like Safari, so us poor web dorks don't have to add another set of browser hacks into our work (it's gonna be bad enough when IE8 is released)
Saying Chrome is using WebKit is somewhat misleading. WebKit is made up of WebCore and JavascriptCore/Squirrelfish (depending on which version of WebKit you're using). Google is only using WebCore and ripping out JSCore/Squirrelfish for its own Javascript engine.

So a lot of this will remain the same (the way the DOM is rendered should be identical) but expect some Javascript quirks over Safari.
Texas
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Yeah, that's the bits that concern some of us, the possibility of JS compatibility issues. But I think that Google using V8 *should* be a good thing overall.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Re: Google concerns me...

Post by lestat »

Talez wrote:
lestat wrote:Or am I just overreacting.
This.

It's open source ffs.
So android is open source? Also you do know firefox development funding is largely from google, so where does this leave firefox now?
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Well Google pays Firefox for the default search engine rights not to develop the browser and Google have extended that contract through 2011 so in the short to medium term it doesn't leave them any worse off.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Yep I'm sure they'll cut them off once their browser establishes a foothold.

I'm also betting google will watch the success of their android OS and use that as a platform to launch their desktop OS.

It's becoming more and more clear why MS were so desperate to drop 40+bn on Yahoo now.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

There are far worse companies in the world than Google to be doing this sort of thing, you know. Examples include Microsoft and Apple.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Kaji
Cowboy Unit Number Ten
XBL ID: Kaji AU
PSN ID: Kaji_AU

Post by Kaji »

Who wants to come over and my my googlebox 360 ?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

lestat wrote:Yep I'm sure they'll cut them off once their browser establishes a foothold.
I doubt that very much. Google want to remain as the top search company, so why not keep paying Mozilla to be the default Search provider?
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

unfnknblvbl wrote:
lestat wrote:Yep I'm sure they'll cut them off once their browser establishes a foothold.
I doubt that very much. Google want to remain as the top search company, so why not keep paying Mozilla to be the default Search provider?
Precisely, Watson!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

unfnknblvbl wrote:
Because the most used addon for firefox is adblock, the bread and butter for companies like google which rely on ad revenue to make money.

If firefox market share drops because of chrome, there wouldn't be much incentive on their end to keep plugging money into it. It starts to become a conflict of interest if there is any strategy behind the release of this browser which I'm sure there is.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

Talez wrote:So a lot of this will remain the same (the way the DOM is rendered should be identical) but expect some Javascript quirks over Safari.
Just out of interest, any idea why they are not using Squirrelfish?
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Corey wrote:*insert gamehed post with mention of skynet*
:lol: Exactly what I was waiting for.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Twit wrote:
Talez wrote:So a lot of this will remain the same (the way the DOM is rendered should be identical) but expect some Javascript quirks over Safari.
Just out of interest, any idea why they are not using Squirrelfish?
Probably because Squirrelfish is quite a recent announcement and V8 has probably been in development for some time.

Here's some screenshots I've dug up. Let me know if they don't display correctly:

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Yeah sounds scary. Google is recording everything.

Google reminds me of fruit loops, those colorful cereals.

I'm going to use scroogle now.

Everyone should type in:

bomb bomb how to kill people with poison, terror terror, teach me to make bombs etc all on the same day into the search engine from as many computers as they can just to piss off google.

IP doesn't mean crap. Just go to a friend's house and use his computer. I'm pretty sure that's what rocco does. Probably one of pat or candy's gag accounts when they aren't using their own computer. This is why they want to put the chips on you to mark you like prisoners. Already they have cameras everywhere in the uk. Google will probably tie into that in the future. "Search for cheating spouse: [type in name here]" and then all the people who you suspect who are having an affair with someone else come up in the google images linked to the network of cameras embedded everywhere in the street like the police cameras on the tops of traffic lights.

Laugh today, cry about it tommorow when you end up getting accused of wrongdoing thanks to the dodgy rigged face recognition software controlled by these corrupt companies who supply these privacy destroying tools. For those who don't care about privacy that's ok. But what about those who do?
What happens if the information gets conveniently "lost". (stolen by corporate espionage through competitors hacking into each other's networks?) Can't trust computers. The diebold scandal with the voting machines is one early warning signs of the corruption of modern technology.

Just throw the computer out of the window right now. It's only going to make your life more miserable if you let it take over your life. You know it's probably infected by spyware from thousands of different people trying to rape you of info and then sell it to all your enemies. I'm keeping mine though to post on GR.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

GameHED wrote:Google reminds me of fruit loops, those colorful cereals.
I know what reminds me of fruit loops and it's not Google.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

hey, that looks hot. When I heard about the tabs being above the address bar, I was all "eewww, gross!" but now I see how it actually looks, and I like it.
I wonder how it'll look with my customary 563289 tabs open though...
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Talez wrote:
GameHED wrote:Google reminds me of fruit loops, those colorful cereals.
I know what reminds me of fruit loops and it's not Google.
ahahaha, POTY!
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

I wonder if it would support the -webkit- css extensions.