Official NRL 2014 Thread - Souths winners by default

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: Official NRL 2014 Thread - Souths winners by default

Post by Candy Arse »

Darius Boyd torn achilles. Broncos season of woe has already started!
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Pretty funny that Bennett comes along and clears out two fullbacks who had arguably better seasons then Boyd in 2014 to bring him to Brisbane, and then he is out for a minimum of 6 months, possibly the whole season with an injury in pre-season training.

Be interesting to see what this does to the spine. Does Milford play fullback while someone else keeps his jersey warm for 6 months, leaving 2 spine changes when Boyd is fit. Or does Wayne just make do with someone else for 6+ months? Hodges is an option, but his body isn't really up to it anymore IMO. At fullback he would be more likely to get injured.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

We've got that English bloke who apparently plays fullback, but I'd imagine our wingers would do a better job at fullback than he. I don't think he was purchased to primarily be our fullback, more a utility. I'd happily have Hodges there. He's got the skills, incredibly dangerous, Hayne-like really. I also don't agree that the position is more injury prone. I wouldn't imagine there'd be much difference. If anything, being able to take those few extra steps before hitting the straps from fullback might be better for the legs. But I don't really know.

It's a big blow and I'm personally disappointed for Boyd. This isn't what he needed from a mental point of view.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

I think at fullback Hodges would have a higher workload and that extra space would add to the impact in tackles. He would also be covering a lot more ground with his hands off the ball. His body has been through a lot in his career already. He still has good acceleration, but not sure he has the same pace he used to have. I would like to see what one of those Nikorima kids has to offer. They looked pretty promising in the limited time I have seen them. The 9's last year and a few U20's games throughout the year.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Nikorima is an option at five eighth pushing Milford to fullback. I doubt Bennett will think he's ready.

The impact of the tackles is generally not what injures Hodges. His injuries usually come before anyone has laid a finger on him (Achilles, hamstrings). He's definitely lost his top speed, but he doesn't need it - he creates. I'd love to have him there. I hope we do.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Agree that Hodges isn't more likely to get injured at fullback than anywhere else. He's injury prone regardless of where he is, so expect him to get injured getting up off his chair in the dressing room before coming out for kickoff.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Yeah exactly. An injury is going to happen with Hodges. As a Broncos fan you just hope it's niggles and he takes the next week off to ensure there's no serious damage.
However, Hodges said he would only consider donning No.1 if he could share the role with the likes of Anthony Milford, recruited from Canberra to play at five-eighth.
"I won't be putting my hand up (for fullback)," Hodges said.
"To do it for 24 weeks would be pretty tough on the body.
"I enjoyed the role this year but it took longer to recover.
"But there's ways we can work around it - I can swap with Milf but that's up to Wayne (Bennett)."
Teammate reported hearing a popping sound when Boyd went down during Friday's early morning session.
There you go, it's harder on the body. Swapsies could work.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

He seems to think it's tougher aswell. I just see the fullback as the most demanding position in the backline as far as fitness goes. They cover so much ground in a game, generally at a quicker pace.

If Hodges hadn't picked up so many injuries in the past 5 years and still had the same top pace he used to have, he would be the only choice for fullback IMO. But his top pace is not what it used to be, and his body is a lot more fragile. You wouldn't want him trying to cover that much ground in a game. It seems a lot easier for a centre to have a bludge in a game when they need to. So he can pick his moments. Although Inglis manages that at fullback.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

No mention of Campese leaving?
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

That 5 year contract sure backfired on the Raiders. Did he even get through a season with more then 5 games in that period?

Such a shame. He was a fucking beast before his body decided to shit itself. Injury robbed him of his best years in the game.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Greg Bird has always been a grub
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The Raiders pushed him out last year, now it's just official.

Yep, Campo was never the same after that injury in 2010 against the Tigers in the finals. A shame, dude was on the way to being one of the top 5 players in the NRL.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Cameron Smith looks set to miss the opening 3 or 4 games of the season as he is getting surgery on his ankle. I'm willing to bet that means the Panthers will play Storm in Round 5. We're always one game off playing a weakened Storm side, and the bloke returning has a fucking ripper of a game against us. I don't think we've played the Storm in the past 6 or 7 years with one of the big 3 missing.

Hoping Greg Bird gets a severe punishment for his pissing incident. A rep football ban for him and Paul Gallen would be perfect for NSW. Get the ball hogs out of the forward pack and allow the backs to actually see the football. As good as they are, the 20+ hitups don't help the team score points when 10 of those hitups are while we attack the opposition line. Hopefully Josh Reynolds fucks up and does something to get himself banned too... along with Pearce continuing to be banned.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

That fuckwit Blake Ferguson is playing with the Roosters next year. And of course the Raiders get nothing for wasting their time and money.

I hope he breaks his ankles week 1 of the pre season.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Raiders signed Blake Ferguson knowing he was a tosser in the first place. He thought he was too good for the Sharks and that he could join the Raiders and win a premiership. He expected to be a starting centre immediately after his first grade debut and wasn't willing to allow the Sharks to develop him at the pace they saw fit. He's not a team player, and has zero loyalty to the people paying him.

I don't really feel bad for the Raiders in his case. Dugan, Carney and Milford however are absolutely bullshit for the Raiders. They developed superstars, two of them are complete dickheads who continuously fucked the club around. The third couldn't want to leave them after making a name for himself. Although developing players in Queensland through the QLD Cup is always going to be a risk for them. Players will get home sick, or not want to live in Canberra. Either way, if that's the path they choose to develop first grade players. They need to expect that players will leave for other teams when the opportunity arrives.
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Almost time for a 2015 thread I think