Mechs toys

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Re: Mechs toys

Post by Cletus »

I had a birthday earlier this week and was given this totally awesome and unexpected Hot Toys Robocop. I don't have any other premium pieces either so this is a perfect one for me if I never get another. Love Robocop. I'll post more pictures when I get the time to pose him all proper like. Image
Elite Dangerous -- CMDR GUN
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Looks awesome. I would be collecting all the hot toys stuff if I had more space. The 80s robo is a cult classic movie which accurately predicted the future. (there are cops wearing the same gear as you see in the old movie) I still haven't seen the newer take on robocop yet. I imagine that a new robocop wouldn't be slow like the 80s version. Darpa has robot dog that can run really fast now so it wouldn't be "futuristic" by today's standards. Robocop would probably be owned by google (bought up many robot companies) and the illuminati would have robocop's kill switch if he ever decided to turn against OCP to expose corruption and murder plots of employees within the company. They would reprogram him to search for guns using technology that can view objects through walls and then break into houses to take them before Detroit falls into chaos. Robo would be the bad guy who shoots peaceful protesters until someone can program him back to being a normal cop again or put his brain in a jar until a new body is made that isn't owned by OCP.

Recently bought VF-0D (cost an arm and a leg but it's durable joints made of diecast now so its massive improvement material wise but visually similar to the old yamato toys over a decade ago)
reviews on youtube have popped up:
Macross Zero wasn't that popular in japan so the toy may actually go up in value due to rareness in future. Usually toys that don't get made end up being produced in smaller numbers so you could expect a buyer to pay more if you ever wanted to sell it later on.

And still haven't posted pics of YF-30 yet. Still haven't opened it. In a few days I will be receiving re-release of VF-1J Hikaru with GBP armor parts. (the most popular mecha in the original macross because hikaru used it)

In macross news: VF-2 from macross II is getting a transforming toy release. See http://www.macrossworld.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; front page for the info. (it's old news by the time of me typing so you may want to scroll down) Macross II is not official canon in the macross universe anymore but people like the VF-2 SS seen in the anime and want to see a toy made of this plane. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be crap because if it is, ....it's all we have. Since it is not a Shoji Kawamori design people bash the design but its no more worse than the clown valkyries in macross 7.

That is thought to be bandai fault because he only want to make Macross Plus and they forced him to do another macross show. Origially mac plus wasn't supposed to exist but it was a seperate story without valks. Then whe macross 2 came out, this may have pressured him to make something of a follow up to SDFM (which would be macross plus) because if he didn't then others would. And macross II is an anime that was created without his permission. Mac 7 was probably bandai's way to sell toys to little kids and make some money off the name of macross, with macross plus being where all the serious effort was put into. Macross Plus being an OVA has a much higher grade of animation quality while 7 feels low budget with basic animation in the fighting for the majority of the series. (the music is where all the quality is) Hell its just ghostbusters in planes. Why do you need dogfights right? ) Today we have Mac Frontier which is by far the best tv series animation of all in macross. Macross zero would sit in terms of quality somewhere between Macross Plus and Macross Do You Remember Love (Macross animated movie) with lots of fights but a more personal story revolving the enigmatic protoculture which was touched upon in the tv series briefly. (the forefathers of the zentradi responsible for making them into warrior tribes through brainwashing and memory manipulation - same thing as the clone soldiers in prequel trilogy star wars)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Nice pickups lads. I approve!

Did I mention I picked up a Yamato 1:1 replica Roy Focker Helmet when I was in Japan recently? I found it in Mandrake second hand and in great nick. :)

Must be due to upload some new shots since I have added to my collection and put in better cabinets.
In the meantime have a stock photo of the helmet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

http://herocross.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check these out...I have the Stormtrooper. They have quite a few franchises now. A bit expensive but fairly unique looking pieces.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

...and just received re-released Arcadia VF-1J with GPB armor bundle today from HLJ. Very happy. To date these are still the best macross toys on the market so far.

speaking of VF-1J:

there is more news on the bandai HiMetal R 1/100 line of perfect transformation toys:
http://tamashii.jp/special/hi-metal_r/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(they are a bit superior to Arcadia/Yamato 1/60 GBP in that you can take the missiles off :up: This was featured in Yamato's earlier and less anime-accurate 1/48 version but they lost that feature in 1/60)

September is the release date. Sculpt looks awesome for a tiny figure that transforms. Great as a desk toy at work to swoosh around when you are bored. If you prefer small stuff this is as close you will ever get to the 1/60 toys. I own the original HiMetal (Roy Fokker with strike pack) and can recommend it. Very high quality material is used but you pay for it in the price. If you don't like delicate model kits these are what you'd want since they can take abuse. You can't find high quality small toys anywhere else right now so this is more of a niche area in the toy scene as most hardcore fans prefer the 1/60 line. It's biggest appeal is trying to create a cool scene with more than 2 things fighting in the display.

eg you have a squad of brownie cannon fodder VF-1A mechas in the background and the hero mech leading them ...VS.. a squad of enemy battle pods and the officer class Glaug. (kamjin is roughly equal skill to hikaru in the tv series and manages to blow off one arm if I recall but neither pilot kills the other) Because of the smaller sizes you can create a more epic display than with the bigger stuff (unless you have huge house) Destroids guarding a Monster (the heavy weight destroid) would be another idea where the small guy offers support to the bigger guy against the smaller and faster targets.

The MKII Monster from the original series is the really appealing one in this line. Not often does that one get made in toy form. (too big in other scales)

These are the toys we would have bought when we were little kids back in the day if shops sold them (and our parents were not tight arses) and were mass produced but couldn't due to limits of tech. (imagine if hasbro takara had a line similar to this for TF? Masterpiece grade optimus prime but at smaller scale istead of huge toy?)
Hopefully this line doesn't die off. Would love to see VF-17 in miniture form and VF-11 in miniture form. Both of these mechs have pretty basic transformations. And bandai has already done VF-19 already.

Edit:

link to tamashi english page:
http://tamashii.jp/item/11012/?lmode=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pics of glaug

looking forward to this one. Monster, Glaug, and Desroid Spartan will sell well I predict.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Anime mecha toy news

Arcadia has the Megazone 23 license and will be releasing a new 1/24 scale transforming toy of the Garland:
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... &p=1212209" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
those who missed out on the yamato garland all those years ago have a chance to get this. (yamato's was 1/15 though which was bigger)

Those might have remember seeing "Robotech the movie" might recognise this. lol
Watch megazone 23 on youtube (english dub):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDOd_8y ... D2FF0087E6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The trilogy consists of 3 parts. If you didn't see it before: it's the matrix but on a spaceship and pop idol is morpheus. :P

Macross Toy news:

Arcadia VF-0S Reactive Armour revealed:

fuck yeah! Yamato never released this when they had mac zero license. Arcadia one looks great so far.
Need to save for this.

Arcadia VF-0S and 0A thread:
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... 80&page=29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Macross II toys: newer VF-2SS pics

looks ok. Don't know how it will hold up though... Kind of cautious about this company.
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

fucking nice cletus :up:

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I thought this might interest mecha toy fans:

a good article here about the prices of Arcadia toys (the old Yamato company renamed after they went belly up) and why they are so expensive compared to the bandai toys of similar size. Interview of Mr K of Arcadia:

http://www.macrossworld.com/why-are-arc ... e-by-mr-k/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“Why are Arcadia Products so Expensive?” by Mr. K
Why are Arcadia toys so expensive?

Our Macross items are currently on a Macross Zero boom (according to myself).
We’re putting out several UN Spacy birds in turn, but I (personally) want to do Anti-UN ones as well.

However, there is a growing difference between the way things are today and years ago, so the truth is that we cannot do things like in the old days.

“How can we make these products a reality…?” I’m constantly struggling with that thought.

Of course, the same goes for other projects, too, but it is a constant, everyday struggle.

Hello. My name is Mr. K, the struggling project developer of this company.

For years now the Chinese factories have been raising their fees and we have seen that influence the price of our products.

This is not just a hit on our company, but also on the manufacturing industry as a whole. So yeah, of course it’s a struggle!!

So I thought I would take some time to think about the reason for that struggle, which is the issue of high price point products, and how that relates to profit margins.

That said, it’s not like I can actually talk about the profit bottom line or anything, so let’s just think about it in the following way…

I will call it: “Why do people say our products are expensive…?” (And yes, as I write this my heart can’t help but feel heavy).

OK, well, so there are obviously going to be differences in standards depending on the users, but it’s true that many are saying that comparatively speaking, they are expensive and huge.
Right, so, since I don’t really know much about marketing and sales, I am going to look at the issue of “Why are our products said to be oh, so expensive?” from the perspective of the project planner.

The price is decided based on profit for the company. That much is obvious. But then if so, the higher the costs, the higher the price, right? OK, so what costs are we talking about?

The costs needed to manage our company… Like salaries. Those are important. Other costs factor in development and production. Design, prototyping, steel mold plates, manufacturing, etc. etc.

OK, that’s all normal.

However, production costs at Chinese factories are increasing. Domestic costs have not really increased (neither have salaries… *cries*). As a result, the retail price goes up.

……So that’s why they’re expensive!! Or rather, that’s why we have to make them expensive!! (In order to live!)

(And I can hear you going, “Well, then, just find some other factory in another country!”, but of course proper training is needed. Even before that, we need to consider the idiosyncrasies of that country’s people and culture. Some other larger makers are actually moving that way, but for a small-mid-size company like us, we cannot easily afford such an up-front investment. So we are staying put with the current factory.)

…It seems I just rushed to the conclusion, doesn’t it…
Ah, well, as the project planner, let me change the focus to, “how to make a product that people would buy even at this price?”

If we approach the issue with the understanding that because of global issues the price is going to go up, and that just cannot be helped, so we need to think in terms of how to develop and produce a product that is going to feel worth that price. Well, this is all just my view, so… you know… just use it as reference… please be kind…

OK, so the Chinese factories raising their fees is not only an issue for this company, so we’ll leave that out from this analysis.

Regarding production numbers, too, they vary from item to item, and the scale of our company is different to that of our competitors’, so we’ll leave that out also. (The reason I bring it up is because the more we produce, the cheaper the cost, [economies of scale].)

OK, so let’s begin.

As the planner, I believe the following points are factors in the high pricing of the products. (Maybe in you should read these with a “Considering the small scale of our company…” at the start of each one of these).

①:Firstly, mecha have lots of parts.
②:Thus, there are numerous molds.
③:For every project, my working hours are long. In other words, personnel expenses. Oh, by the way, don’t think I get a particularly high salary.
④:The more parts you have, the more paintwork that needs to be done.
⑤:The more parts you have , the more building work that needs to be done.
⑥:Our quality standards for building work are high.

Is that it? Can’t think of any more…

OK so, with regards to ①, we have many “real mecha” which incorporate a transformation gimmick, so part counts are just going to end up being high. The easiest way to put it is that even for products of the same size, whether or not the thing transforms ends up completely changing the parts count.

With increased parts count, comes increased complexity and tolerances. So I ask the sculptor to take great care and eventually we reach a stage where we are both satisfied.

Having said that, we are not trying to raise the parts count wastefully. Our motto has been to not have something transform just for the sake of having it transform. We (meaning, the sculptor) stick carefully to the official transformation settings while keeping the sculpt as free from complexities as possible. So, if you’ve ever handled any of our products you know that you can quite easily transform them, right? (Actually, there may be a problem in how detailed the instructions are…)

In general, our users tend to say that once that first transformation is out of the way, then it’s all hand candy!

Ah, I seem to have gone off on a tangent.

The point is that while we are trying to keep parts count to a minimum, the necessities of mecha and transformation require that they increase.

Next.

Regarding ②, that’s simply it. More parts means more mold sheets. Though it depends on the mold size, with one sheet you can buy a car (a new car on the more affordable side). [n.b. Buying a car in Japan is more expensive than in America. -Renato]
I’ve hardly built any plastic models, so I don’t really know, but it’s not like when you see all these parts so close together on the runner [sprue] of a plamodel. It’s mostly because of the materials, but “completed items” are harder/tougher than plamodel plastic, right? At least, ours are. I mean, they have to be, you want to play with them roughly, so they have to be built robustly…

So this relates to the efficiency in the factory. They try to minimize the number of “gates” (the bits that connect the pieces to the runner). Probably. (I imagine so, I haven’t checked.)
The idea is that to cut the work done at the factory.

Off-topic again…

The point is the difference between having parts the size of a 10 yen coin and lining them up so that the area taken totals 100 yen as opposed to 1000 yen (What a reckless example). Of course, in our case, we have them lined up to total 1000 yen.

That said, we do try to lower mold costs by re-using the same parts in a single product when we can, so we can get the most out of a single mold.

③. This is simply personnel expenses. Mine.

I often hear that in terms of the proportion of company costs, “staff costs are expensive”, and that made me a little concerned so I put this down.

Well, this topic is sort of a small break within this article. However, I want to write a little about it. (Looking back, it was more than “a little”)

When development begins for a project, I really dig deep and try to shape it thoroughly.

First of all, what kind of product is it going to be. “For this mecha, I want to reproduce this feature”; “I want to add this option”, etc.

Regarding the gimmicks, I say I’m thinking I want this or that, and consult with the sculptor.
Most of the details regarding the sculpt I leave to the sculptor. Thank you always.

While the sculptor sculpts, I am busy with other things. I use this time to think of other projects. After the sculpt is done, we send it over for checks and comments. Then we go back and make corrections and put out a prototype. We send that over for more checks, then do more corrections. At the same time, we start to think about colouring and similarly get that checked and corrected as well.

At the same time, I prepare materials for the production at the factory (part guides, building manuals, colouring instructions).
At this point we start to make the molds at the factory. Once the mold layouts are done I check them.

We start marketing at that point. Mostly photographing, going over to the different media outlets and getting them to produce articles, etc.

Next, designing packaging and instructions….

By that time the molds are done. Then we put out a test-shot. Once I receive that, I check every inch of it and send my comments over to the factory. The comments number over 200 every time.

Incidentally, the first test-shot is called T-1. We then we move through T-2, T-3, until T-END. At the END stage, all problems with the mold have been cleared.

At around the T-3 point, I use the test-shot to check for parts-fitting and colouring.

Basically, this is all to test the tolerances of the mold itself, really. It just so happens that it also allows me to check parts-fit and colouring. It’s a very important process. (It also means this is the point where I start to get home late at night.) Also, I start writing the blog around this point.

After that, the factory goes into production. We ask them to check the products during the production run. I get some of them sent over so that I, too can check them myself.

So once the run is finished, that’s when the final check is done. I take out several dozen random ones from a crate of completed products (including the packaging and instructions) and check them.

I’m basically inspecting if they are finalized as products. I used to go over to the factory to do this.

Once they pass this inspection, they finally are shipped over to Japan.

So for my own project-planned items, I struggle with all of the above for a year to a year and a half. It sounds long, but there are even more really detailed Parts to the work, so I don’t goof off often (according to myself).

* Of course, this is all within the context of transforming mecha, so with other projects the project time is shorter, or the processes would be different, etc..

So, in order to do all that, my salary is one of the costs. I’m sorry…

Well, this was supposed to be my break, but it’s the most tiring thing… (laughs)

On to ④.

The more parts there are, the more paint work there is.
For example, if we have one part which does not move, it only takes one pass to apply colour. In order to make the same part move, it needs to be split into two parts, and each part would need to be painted individually, thus you need to make two passes at the paint application.
Simply put, if you increase the number of paint application passes, your production costs go up.

⑤.
This is the same as the paint apps.
For example, a product that has 20 pieces in one arm has twice the building process as one with 10 pieces. As the amount of building work changes, so does the cost. By the way, as for our products, they have 20.
Everything thus far are reasons for all the labour costs.

So let’s talk about ⑥ — this is about high quality standards.

Actually I don’t know about the quality standards of other companies, so I can’t say anything about them. In fact, in my opinion, this is all just normal, so here I will just directly ask the people at the factory for their pure opinions!

Mister K: “Our products are said to be expensive, what do you in the manufacturing process at the factory think are the main factors in this (barring the global issues)?”

Head of the Factory:  “Expensive? That’s unthinkable! We are sincerely and strictly following the orders of Arcadia!!”

Mister K “Yeah, no, I mean… OK, I’m sorry. Um… That’s not what I..” (I then try to explain the main topic.)

“From the perspective of the factory processes, are there specific steps which take a lot of effort or are time-consuming, etc.? If so, what are they? Please explain.”

Head of Factory   ”Firstly, considering the production numbers, your orders concerning quality are detailed and numerous! That’s a lot of pressure on the factory. There’s also many parts involved, so the actual building work itself is tough and the proportion of scrap is very high, so the cost ends up going up.”

Mister K ”I’m sorry.”

Head of Factory:  ”It’s problematic to even try to explain everything in detail so I will just give some examples.”
(Below are some comments from the different divisions).

Injection specialist: ”The thing we are most careful about is the cutting of the gates (in other words, trimming off the connectors to the sprues). Normally, all of the gate cuts leave a whitish mark. However, your company has added an extra step in the process to remove the white mark, so we take care in that.”

Mister K ”Oh, thank you very much. That really helps us out.”

Injection  ”Also, there are high standards regarding mold deformities (shrinkage, warping, etc.). Especially in the wing parts.”

Mister K  ”Yes, because in fighter jets, the width and curvature of the wings are important.”

Injection ”Also the checks regarding mold colours are so strict!! We have to make sure that all of the parts are molded in the exact same shade of colour. In particular, white is the most difficult.”

Mister K  “That’s absolutely necessary. The form and colour are what shape the image of the character, so please understand the importance of this.”

Spray and Pad (paint apps) Specialists ”There are no allowances for colour bleeding, not even a little bit…”

Mister K  ”Of course not..!”

Paint  ”All of the positions of the pads (colour masks) have to be perfect. Then on top of that, there are many colour patterns, so if you are off by just a little bit, that’s it, it’s unusable. It’s such a waste!”

Mister K  “Yes, it’s a waste, but we want to make good products, so please yoroshiku ne…!”

Builders:  ”The building is the toughest process in a transformable item! You know what your standards are like, right?” (Gaps, roughness, etc..)

Mister K  “Wow… I’m sorry to hear it’s so tough.”
Die-cast specialist: ”Even a tiny bubble is unforgivable. When you paint, it’s normal to have bubbles…”

Mister K:  “………..”

Die-cast specialist: ”Also, the parts trimming. And making the surfaces clean. We use a special file for the finish… We only use it on your products.”

Mister K  ”Yes, it’s a special process.”

Die-cast specialist ”By the way, for every type of product, the scrap proportion of die-cast is around 36%.”

Mister K  “So you can’t use a third of it…. *cries*”

Injection and paint apps:  ”If we’re talking about scrap, when you factor in plastic molding and the painting processes, it’s around 65-78%.”

Mister K  “So more than half of the entire production are parts we can’t use!!!”

As you can see, when you make products with such high standards, you end up with mostly parts that you cannot use. In fact, even I was shocked.

That said, let me put it another way – we check each individual part in great detail and make sure there is no unevenness in the building and painting processes, thanks to the love between me and the factory! (Not that that’s down in writing anywhere…)

This all comes from a feeling of wanting to make good products for you to play with! (Sure, sounds really cheesy, but it’s genuinely heartfelt.)

Thanks to this, we get few calls to the customer center (I think), so I believe this is the correct way to look at things (as far as the company is concerned).

So what it comes down to is, my work and the processes in it, and the procedures at the factory and waste output. We talked about a lot of things, but I feel that my qualms have been put to rest.

I should note, however, that I don’t know about the production processes of other companies, so please just look at this as Arcadia, and in particular, Mr. K’s case.

Conclusion.
I think you all have your own ideas, so there’re people who think “Mr. K’s standards are too high so that’s why releases are delayed and the price is high”, or “I never knew about those hardships… no wonder they cost so much”. I leave it all up to you.

Even so, I hope that you can feel that “Yes, Mr. K’s products are expensive, but they’re good!!” (Though writing that myself is embarrassing…)

The rising costs will probably keep on rising, but even with that, I aim to continue to do this, so “yoroshiku“!

Thank you so much for reading this long piece!

Kind regards,

-Mister K
hopefully that helps explain the toy biz from the perspective of a new company that is running low on mechas to release. (ahem lets be honest here most of the great macross mecha stuff has already been done under the yamato label and all that is left is re-releases with superior durability through changes in materials to make the toys feel stronger. hehe Bandai is never going to get off the Mac F license and Arcadia is going to have to be clever by just out performing them in the quality side since bandai are a bigger company with more resources.)
thanks to Renato for the translation.

The gist of it is transforming toys of this complexity that have to be dead accurate to the show (and not break in half easily) aimed at adults who expect a premium toy that surpasses the mass production products (where shortcuts are always expected to cut costs and cheap out on fine details that die-hard fans of mecha will notice easily and break a deal) are never going to be cheap if you wish to maintain the quality of the product and image of the brand. The reason we all agree that bandai early mac F toys were a disaster compared to yamato was because to many model kit builders the sculpt looked crap and the attention to detail has always been higher on yamato toys thanks to the guy behind the toys being a diehard macross fan himself and not just a business man looking to exploit the popularity of the property but lacking respect for the franchise. (it's a common belief that if you like the thing you are making products for, then you will put in extra effort because of passion)

Now that bandai have caught up with the improved sculpts of their macross toys (no longer using a B team) they have to focus on the hard core fan more than just casual collectors of toys in general, by getting all the details right. This means more gimmicks, looking for feedback from the community and listening to critics more. (example the box art is one thing they have improved and its such an easy thing to improve. Plus packaging the extra accessories into a single box and reducing wasted space. (brings shipping cost down for us online customers)

Certain other things like "do the joints last and hold the toy up so it can be posed?" are considered now compared to previous times. For instance the old yamato Qrau suffered from floppy limb syndrome. And the previous 1/60 mac Zero toys were fragile and felt cheaper than the 1/48 vf-1 toys which had been made previous to them. But now they are using tougher materials in the shoulders and stuff to ensure things don't crack from stress. This means we don't need to treat them like delicate model kits and can see them as true toys we can pose and handle with confidence. This adds value in the long term and boosts the confidence for those who are first time buyers of the brand.

MWB discussion of this interview here:
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... try1220234" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Review of the 1/60 Bandai VF-19 Advance (the upgraded yf-19 from macross plus appearing in the macross 30 videogame)
collection DX part 1

part 2
Would have bought this guy if I didn't already own the arcadia yf-19. Those who couldn't afford the arcadia should have bought this guy instead since it is cheaper.

Saving up for percival yf-29b instead..
https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/11 ... ustom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(repaint)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Arcadia 1/60 VF-0A review
available at HLJ: http://www.hlj.com/product/ACA82120/Sci" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this is one I will skip since I am going to get Roy's VF-0S which is coming at the end of the year. (hopefully the reactive armor follows soon) Too expensive for me to get everything. :P Already bought the VF-0D recently.. Don't think I have space anyway. When macross delta begins i'm going to have to make even more space. :shock: VF-0 and sv-51 mechas from mac zero were huge.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

My shrine to Robocop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Hasbro are doing a re-release of a lot of G1 transformers this year under the Platinum Edition banner, the exciting one being Trypticon, the not exciting thing is the rumoured $400 price tag when it hits Toys R Us shelves in Australia.

Vzzzbx, you lose again!
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

After playing transformers devastation I recently bought MP Lambor/sideswipe. I only had Prowl beforehand. (will probably get ultra magnus one day - toys r us have it at $300 on the website)

Despite the tiny size he looks awesome in both vehicle and bot mode. I paid $150 and yes it's an original.

I no longer judge people for buying knock offs. Besides the KO toys are getting really good. It's not always true that a copy is worse than it's original. I saw Gold Bug at toys r us but didn't have enough money to get him. The one thing I don't like is how fucking massive the autobot logo is on the front. I wish it was smaller. Other than that I think it would have been better with rubber tyres.

comparison of ko sideswipe vs takaratomy sideswipe:
would love it if these guys could do KO of the various bandai chogokin toys. Ozma vf-25s please. Fuck you bandai for making it virtually impossible to obtain that one..lol
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

speaking of g1 re-releases I saw the insecticons at aspley toys r us. There was one box on clearance for half the cost of new one because of damaged box. I prefer buying masterpieces personally. I loved my old toys but new ones have the better articulation. Only the serious collectors should go for the g1 re-releases to complete a hole in your collection. Otherwise if you are just getting characters you like it's probably not worth it imo.

I would rather they remake new toys of the g1 characters.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Good news for those missed out on the vf-4g when it was a limited release under the yamato label:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... &p=1230143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^
arcadia is re-releasing this again for the fans who couldn't get one in time before it disappeared.

What show did vf-4 appear in? It was the little model in the macross tv series, the macross dyrl flashback music video, and in various comics and games. Originally it had no transformation but the transformation got shoe-horned in for the games.
I already own one so i won't be buying this re-release, but I encourage fans of rarer mecha to get this. Once its gone it will go up in price again on ebay simply because it's not commonly known mech.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:io:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

You can now purchase miniture power armour figure from fallout 4 with detachable armour plates and frame:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -costs-279" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Much cooler than the stupid PIP boy. No one is ever going to wear that in public lol... This should have launched when the game first came out instead.

I think they should do a Synth next! (the terminator looking ones with mechanical bodies) I bet cletus is getting one..
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Great interview here with the mecha designer of macross and armored core games (shoji kawamori):

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder ... 6766081683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If there is ever a robotech live action movie (with modern jet fighter look to it updated to today) you'd want to steal all your shit from him. And maybe if there are bikes in it, Shinji Aramaki. Don't go the Transformers route of million of triangular pieces rotating and spinning to look like the approximation of a humanoid battle machine. The biggest flaw of TF Live action bayformers flicks is the over complicated look. Nobody I know liked that and the toys that ignored that approach were more appealing.

What seperates a transforming mecha vs a alien/living organism that changes form, ..is the mecha still has to keep its internals (power, engine, pilot cockpit) in working order to be realistic.
“The aspect of transformation, for me anyway, has always been about trying to pursue a sense of originality. There are many things in the world that look good or are already stylish, but once the mecha transforms, the functions of the engines and seats for instance would be lost. In addition, external parts often have to be added to make the mecha transform. When I designed VF-1 Valkyrie 35 years ago, mecha rarely did it all in one self-contained process.”

“Since it didn’t really exist like that back in the day, once it could be achieved then that’s something that I thought would be original.”

“So that’s a big drive for me and my work.”

“In terms of influences, I liked the styling of the Isuzu 117 Coupe. My father told me when I was at elementary school all about an Italian designer called Giorgetto Giugiaro and he was involved in a lot of famous car designs for Alfa Romeo, Fiat and the DeLorean DMC-12, appearing in Back to the Future. So I suppose I was really influenced by him and adored his work.”

“In terms of other designs I like, the XB-70 Valkyrie is genius. As it is very innovative and has a very clear practical use but at the same time looks unique. I also really like the Thunderbird 2, both the character of its body and the creativity used to make it. It really is fantastic.”

“Back when I was drawing with my high school friends, I liked to think about stories. By the time I joined Studio Nue and was involved in the planning of the original Macross, I was also building up the story and overall concept. Above all I like to come up with the story concept I suppose, so that’s a key reason for me.”
if they go for a hard sci-fi crowd, then people will want to maintain this realism in a movie since the reason real robot shows were popular is that they were based on more realistic technology and limits compared to super robot shows where objects can split into pieces and form together. Macross is the antithesis of those types of cartoons and keeps it all hanging together as one machine with three forms and the "guts" or "vital organs" remain intact and in full working order during transforming process. (no accidentally killing the pilot/drive like in transformers where bumble bee might squash the human passenger while in car mode going to robot form lol)

Without the realistic design, it probably wouldn't be as interesting as toys for big kids/small men. (whenever toys are made now of the mechas, they go through an approval process where SK can look at the toy and see if it matches the anime as closely as possible).
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Preorder page of T-45 posable figure from HLJ:

http://www.hlj.com/product/thz92065" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

jenius from MWB reviews the recently-released Arcadia VF-0S (think of these as version 2 yamato - same sculpt with better materials for durability) from macross zero:
still saving up to get mine..Should be exactly the same as shin's vf-0a with different paint and head uit. After this.... finally we can get the reactive armor I hope. (wasn't attempted by yamato back in the day)

loadsa info online about chogokin macross delta toys but I think I will wait until they are out. Hard to get excited about the show as it looks to be another macross 7 style thing with over the top mystical powers and super pilots who never falter all over again. I prferred the more grounded-in-realism SDF Macross and Macross Plus ...but whatever makes the newer fan happy... (frontier filled that void already imo Nothing over the top like mac7)

If mac F was a "SDFM retread with cooler and more flashy fighters and dogfights". Then Macross Delta is a "macross 7 retread with more flashy singer-battle mages". Hopefully they don't over do that stuff and in relying on magic; make the military and use of proper weapons appear totally redundant. (that was the biggest criticism of macross 7 which turned what many deem a "real robot" show with the romance, (the backdrop of war being macro scale event of the human events) ...into a super robot show where there is a lack of danger and no sense of the threat of failure on the part of the good guys; so no reason to care what happens in the show. Doing that will scare the "real robot show" fan who are most likely just watching for the mech porn)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

He says he's a friend of Sarah Connor but I don't believe him.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

very nice.
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

very nice flipswitch, great likeness, red eye looks sweet through the glasses

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Thanks guys. The back of his head opens up and there's a little button you press to activate the light for a short duration of time.
I also bought two photo frames of t1/t2.