Mechs toys

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Brown Hornet

Post by Brown Hornet »

So, um, my apologies if this is dealt with upthread, but are those Mospeada Cyclone toys available now? I gather there are multiple versions. What's the one to go with? I just want to sit it on one of my speakers and have it look good. I'm not going to fiddle with it much.

Sorry for the lame questions, but this robotech toy world seems unduly complicated for those of us comprising the 'mere nostalgia' market...
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

General Chaos wrote:As mentioned in the Robotech Movie thread (which we shouldn't derail with Toy stuff). I have ordered a 25th Anniversary Yamoto 1/48 VF-1S.

I have some questions for Mr Gamehed.

I placed the order through Toy-Wave and they tell me not to pay until they confirm shipping which is cool then I get an email with order details: unit cost and insurance but no shipping cost with a paypal link. What's the go? Did you get a second email with the shipping costs included?

Also while I am in the mood I wouldn't mind a VF0-S (1/60) and see there is a restock coming in. I noticed you said there were problems with them originally. Off the top of your head are they resolved?

Then I have the problem of wanting a VF1-S with Strike Packs etc but could probably pass since I have a mint Jetfire

And finally I am itching for a VF25 when they are released.

Damn this shit can get addictive.

EDIT:
:lol: Oh man I didn't even last half a day. "VF-1S with Super & Strike parts 1/60" -Get!
You might want to email them directly about the shipping cost but there should be a table on the website showing how much the shipping should be based on size and weight of the package.
What I always do before even ordering is asking the question first in an email: "Before I order, how much would total cost (item + the shipping cost) be if I were to order [name the item] and use [name type of shipping you want to use] shipping? Could you please list the two costs in the email so I can compare with other stores/dealers? Thanks!

I'm thinking of buying these [name all the items in the order you wish to order] but not sure if I will with toywave yet as I am still shopping for the best price. (this lets them want to be more competitive with pricing, maybe you can haggle with them :D)"

Why do you do this? Because then they can work out the shipping cost for you first before you agree to purchase anything. Some stores want you to state how much shit you buy so they can work out a combined shipping cost just so they can save themselves money. Hobbylink japan has done this to me and postponed items just because they assumed I want to add another item later to combine with the first item, instead of sending the single order immediately. This can be frustrating if you want one thing, but if you email directly to "send without combining shipping cost with other items" they will just send the item as soon as they confirm the total cost (item + the shipping of all the items in the order) and send the payment request, which you then use as confirmation that this is all the items + shipping cost that must be paid for, (usually in US dollars) before finally making the payment out to them.

After they recieve the payment from you (total cost of all items in the order + the shipping cost of all items in the package) that's when they send out.

Argh was that too long? sorry. :redface: In summary email them a lot about your order, look at the shipping table on the website, and if you are still confused, ask them to work out the total cost (item cost + shipping cost) for you; emailing you the cost, before you actually order anything so that you know how much to pay after they send the payment request.

HLJ is usually pretty straighforward since all the shipping cost is right there when you move the cursor over the item. And that's the actual cost for you so you don't have to look at any shipping table.

----------------------------

VF0S

Ok the story is this: the first run had problems with rubber reacting with the plastic and causing the plastic to crack. Yamato had fixed this in the later releases of VF-0 and here are the ones you should be ok with:

1. VF-0S Roy + ghost booster
----------------------------------
the combo includes the ghost drone - this release is the newest so far and has had the problem fixed.

2.VF-0A Shin + ghost booster (not as safe as Roy + ghost drone)
----------------------------------
now from what I have heard on the boards on Macrossworld this one may be about 50/50 chance. Half the ones floating around out there (admitted by yamato themselves) might have the problem, so I would not risk it. If you do, make sure you get the best price you can find since it would be riskier to get this. Basically don't expect support from yamato japan since they can't legally be dealing with people outside of japan for any replacements or defect. This is why it is still risky to buy any kind of macross item imported without first waiting for reviews to pop up first to confirm there are no flaws with the earliest runs! It's too expensive for most people so we all have a this thing where nobody wants to buy the first run of any yamato product and instead wait for all the japanese buyers to report to us any problems with the early release. (which they can then complain to yamato about and have yamato fix them up in later releases)

So go for the VF-0S + Ghost. (unfortunately if you are not interested in the ghost booster I would wait until all the early VF-0S stand alones are bought up. Bad news is that it is hard to tell the difference between early run and later run. In the old days (2003-onwards) with the 1/48 VF-1 (early versions of this had nosecones which were a bit looser than later runs) you could kind of tell from the packaging because older releases didn't have the velcro on the box cover on them. But I don't know what the difference is now with the newer stuff like the VF-0.

You'll note on HLJ and other stores the VF-0 standalone (shin and roy version) is at reduced price so maybe the bad news about the early release has prompted the stores to sell them cheaply. Personally I would just eat the cost of buying the VF-0S with ghost drone combo as that is the newest release and only one reported to have fixed the stupid chemical reaction problem in early releases. Yamato have a much better track record now with the recent 1/60 YF-21, 1/60 SV-51 and 1/60 VF-1S and any problems so far have been very minor. (eg the first run SV-51 Ivanov (black) looks to have the slightly-more-loose missile hardpoints vs the later-released sv-51 nora (red))

Any other (non-macross) series of toy that can be bought from yamato USA allows for free replacement parts but for anything macross, be more cautious and wait for reviews from others before diving in.

Safe to buy:
-SV-51 nora (bought one myself with no problems)
-YF-21 (no reported problems with this at all)
-VF-1S Roy Super (the very first release of the new 1/60 range is mostly ok but do look on MWB for problems - I don't have one yet but I hear they've sold out in japan quickly)

Keep in mind too that there are two 1/60 VF-1 from yamato. The older ones which had the detachable legs and the new (what everyone likes to call "version 2") 1/60 which have just come out now which are perfect transformation (they don't require you to detach the legs to transform the robot into fighter mode) and have all the cool new gimmicks I outlined in previous post. (bicep curl, better sculpt, thinner panel lines, more details, more balanced proportions in all modes etc) Don't get the old 1/60 (the need to detach legs to transform it) from years and years ago confused with "version 2" 1/60 which is perfect transformation. :D

Bandai VF-25 are not out yet. They will be out in novemeber but Bandai like to keep us updated with prototype pics in the latest hobby mags to keep us salivating. There are going to be VF-25 transforming Model kits at 1/72 scale, and VF-25 transforming DX gokin toys at 1/60 scale. The models will need assembling but are very easy just like the gundam snapkit models we all know. I have much more faith in bandai in terms of QC compared to smaller companies like yamato, so as soon as these babies are out, I would just get them whenever you can. (without worrying too much about problems on early runs)

Anyway I hope that has helped a little.

[Captain obvious]Generally each website has it's own way of doing things so read up the faq to find out how their system works.

1.pick the items in the order
2.work out shipping cost based on HOW you want it to be shipped (HLJ for example only offer two options EMS or SAL)
3. wait for them to send you a "payment request form" with the list of items you ordered plus their individual item cost and in individual shipping cost and the total cost all worked out.
4. Once you know the total cost from the payment request, pay through whatever method you chose (which is any payment methods they say they accept)
5. wait till they send you emails telling you "the payment has been received, your order is being shipped out!" Then twiddle thumbs.
[/captain obvious]

toywave's ordering process page:
http://www.toy-wave.com/eng/sub_main.php?table=109" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HLJ "how to pay for your order" info page:
http://www.hlj.com/overview/hlj_payment.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by GameHED on 01 Aug 2008 08:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Oh I forgot to mentioned the 25th anniversary VF-1 is the black and gold VF-1. I think that is a limited edition, so you are buying something slightly more expensive than the normal non-limited edition 1/48 VF-1. These could end up going up in price in the future just like the Limited edition "Low Visibility" 1/48 VF-1. These are both non-canon paintschemes that never appear in the shows but are done as collectors items for those who like the idea of getting exclusives that might not be easy for the average fan to obtain easily.

Personally I can't afford to pay extra for them but congratulations if these become high demand later like the Low Visibility.
So, um, my apologies if this is dealt with upthread, but are those Mospeada Cyclone toys available now? I gather there are multiple versions. What's the one to go with? I just want to sit it on one of my speakers and have it look good. I'm not going to fiddle with it much.

Sorry for the lame questions, but this robotech toy world seems unduly complicated for those of us comprising the 'mere nostalgia' market...
Ok I will just list the companies that make them:

CMs
-----
these are the tiny ones with cheap looking plastic but are surprisingly good detail for their size and perfect transformation but have shit paint application)

Yes these are available now but harder to find now I think.

pictures from scorched earth toys here
pictures of the new blowsperior from cms corp website:
http://www.cmscorp.jp/products/bg18_blowsperior.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Megahouse
-------------
Bigger, better paint application, a bit more part-swapping compared to the CMs an designed to look good in armor mode. These are very popular for some reason on MWB but I think the humanoid figure looks crap without the armor. Like really skinny. Available now!

pictures from HLJ:
http://www.hlj.com/product/MEG80783" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pics from robotech.com:
http://www.robotech.com/store/viewcategory.php?id=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pics of the exclusive wonderfest stealth ride armor:
http://tokyohunter.blogspot.com/2008/07" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... black.html

Toynami
----------
I don't know what the hell is happening here with the toynami version. Not available yet. Last I heard is that maybe Beagle version is going to be the one Toynami decide to be as the masterpiece Ride Armor/Cyclone.

Beagle
--------
Not available yet but looking very good in terms of details, sculpt, and generally being balanced to look right in both modes. This is the biggest and most expensive and the one I am waiting for. Toynami may be the ones to distribute it outside japan under their masterpiece collection label. Looks the best. But it is going to be masterpiece collection price. So only the most diehard will probably ending up buying it. Sort of like those people who buy 1/6 scale uber realistic action figures and stuff.

Pics of the upcoming Beagle 1/10 Ride Armor from GA Graphic:
http://ga.sbcr.jp/mgangu/010419/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

November release I heard.

Sorry for not mentioning the dates earlier. I should have been more clear on it.

CMs and Megahouse are the ones that are out now. CMs are a little small for the average american hands as you've probably heard from the collection DX review of it. You might not have fun handling it a lot. The latest CMs releases (yellow release - the boy george wannabe :D) have upgrade parts that allow you to stick the gun onto the bike which is cool. Many people don't like how they have a cheap look to them though and how they are generally regarded as overpriced. CMs always overprice their stuff.

Megahouse is a bit better value for money, but I don't like how the wheels on the bike look small in proortion to the rest of the bike. It looks like the bike is for little kids haha. The Yellow Dancer release has increase wheels size (in reaction to criticism that the bike mode in the early releases suffers just so the soldier mode looks good by making wheel smaller) so if you don't like small wheels buy that character!

What about the Alpha(Legioss and Beta/Tread Fighter gamhed???
------------------------------------------------
Toynami makes a Alpha fighter under their Masterpiece collection (see robotech.com for image and to order one) but many people feel these things are a piece of crap in terms of QC because of them eing easy to break. Buyer beware. The beta fighter still hasn't been released and many people have waited years for it to be. They like the look of it at when it is shown at conventions, but have little faith that toynami gets off its arse to release it. The alpha fighter however, has been out for ages. There is also a japanese version of it under the Aoshima label but it turns out to be even worse QC than the originals. :D

pics of the 1/55 Aoshima version of the toynami Alpha fighters here

pics of the 1/55 toynami version from robotech.com:
http://www.robotech.com/store/viewcategory.php?id=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CMs also have recently released their own LEgioss+tread. Here's the thing: It is WAY overpriced for what you get. But its one redeeming feature is that it is very sturdy despite lack of diecast. It really feels like a toy. A kids toy that can be touched, transformed and played with and posed without something falling apart. But it's so simple, the link up between legioss and tread is so dodgy, and the only reason it is as expensive as it is, has more to do with price gouging than anything else. How desperate you are determines whether you will cough up the dough. But you are getting very poor value for money. It's worth really 1/3 what they ask imo but it is the first new toy in ages so people are willing to overlook the fault. The good news is doesn't have any QC problems or poor choice of materials like the toynami MPC (masterpiece collection) robotech alpha fighter toy. As mentioned on the collection DX review it uses POM.

picture of CMs Legioss+Tread from HLJ.com:
http://www.hlj.com/product/CMS65198" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

exclusive CMs shadow Legioss pics:
http://toyboxdx.com/phorum/read.php?1,161908,page=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...Whew...that's the summary of all mospeada toys. The older vintage mospeada toys from Gakken? I don't worry about them since I'm not into older stuff anymore.

If you want to get some detailed reviews of these toys try this site for reviews of it:
http://anymoon.com/blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He hangs out at MWB and covers all the robotech/macross/mospeada toys and reviews them.

Anyway I'm going to update this thread again periodically when more magazine scans come out.

The three biggest news bits:
-Toynami distributing some new chunky munky toys with modern head sculpts. Possibility that the beagle ends up as a robotech cyclone masterpiece.
-The upcoming Yamato toys like 1/60 Destroids, 1/60 VF-11 from macross plus, and new 1/60 scale SDF:M vf-1 toys.
-Macros frontier bandai releases. VF-27 is coming.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Cheers GameHED I had a rough idea of the shipping using their table I was more confused by their initial email.. They actually sent me the second email with confirmation price yesterday and I am all payed up.

Funnily enough I found the 25th anniversary price to be quite good compared with other runs atm. Probably due to the fact it is new and still actually in half decent availability. Would be nice to see it appreciate in value but somehow I don't think I'll ever part with it.

As for the VF-0s I decided that I would give it a miss due to not being sure if the restock would in fact be old stock/or problems fixed and went with with the new "1/60 VF-1S Roy with Super & Strike parts".

Ahh man now I need to tell myself I don't need the YF-19 25th Anniversary.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Congrats. Well the limited editions at first were normal priced. When I bought the low visibility (back in 2004) I fell in love with the plain grey "realism" of it. I like the idea of a fighter from macross looking as if it was a real jet. At the time these were released this thing wasn't high priority because people stick to the tv series and movie paintschemes more but over time when people found out that it had a limited run and was starting to get rare (no reissues ever) that is when the price went up.

So if you ever wonder why this 25th anniversary is more expensive it's because now that yamato realised they could demand higher price for limited run items they decided it was a good idea to only attract those who were willing to pay extra for it. Not leave it at normal price.

The thing I particularly liked about the low vis, is that it had the weathering and panel lines all darkened in for you, and a custom low visibility sticker sheet to go with it. You could pretend the valk was part of the asuka carrier in macross zero, low vis skull emblem and everything.

What is going to happen I bet is that the prices for 1/48 will go down, because demand for 1/60 will increase, and then when the 1/48 are discontinued, fans of that scale will be willing to pay more for the 1/48 valks as it gets harder to find. There may be latecomers who missed the boat and want to "complete the collection" similar to how today you see people still drool over the idea of owning the harder-to-get chunky munky valks.

Me? I generally do not "collect" but only limit my buys to the best versions of things only. So if v2 1/60 is generally better than 1/48 vf-1 (see swooshes poses on MWB) I have no problem just getting rid of the older to bring in the new. Just like 1/72 macross plus toys are inferior to the new 1/60 ones, so it makes no sense to keep all the older ones if you have a better and more accurate one to own. I may nitpick that the 1/60 yf-19 chest doesn't lock in battroid mode, but I still think that is MILES ahead of the old 1/72 version yamato released years ago.

This thread has all the current info on whether VF-0 is safe:
http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=26373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

don't get: vf-0S roy, VF0-A shin, Vf0-a shin with ghost booster (50/50).
get: vf-0s with ghost to be safe.

For the 1/60 VF-1S Roy, when you get it, if something is wrong, let us know about any problems in this poll:
http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 26947&st=0

It just helps us gather the info we need to know for problems on first release yamatos. If people don't bother to post the pics of any of the breakages no one will know, and yamato will assume nothing is wrong. We can get Graham to ask about these issues when he meets with them. (resident yamato man on Macorss world :D)

30-7-08
---------
September edition of Model Graphix and Hobby Japan magazine scans of the upcoming bandai 1/72 VF-25 Macross F models:

(I'm going to make them all thumbnails so pages load quicker. click to see them blown up)

ImageImageImageImageImage

these are supposed to come out in august I think.

Now here is something new from bandai regarding macross F:
1/100 scale VF-25 (the smallest scale of it so far. So that means they are releasing 1/60 DX gokin toys, (serious toy collectors and fans) 1/72 vf-25 (for modeling as a hobby crowd) and 1/100 scale toys. (people with space/budget limits?)
These are the 1/100 proto pics:
ImageImageImage

SDCC Toynami Robotech news:

Toynami 1/100 transforming VF-1 line will be getting GBP armor:
pics:
ImageImageImage

Toynami may be brining over the Beagle Ride Armor:
video of the Beagle Ride Armor here.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Oh Shit! It's not working.. Urge to buy 25th Ann 1/60 YF-19 Rising. It just looks so awesome in the black and gold!
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Yeah I know it's also got the gold writing on it. I predict a stealth YF-21 coming up from yamato in the future. If only so they can get people who are fans of the Gamlin paintscheme from macross 7 to mod it and make their own VF-22. :D

I've been looking for reviews of 1/60 VF-1S on other forums:
Here's one with lots of pics to show you what it looks like in the flesh out of the box. (no stickers applied) The review includes comparison shots with the older 1/48 vf-1, as well as 1/60 vf-1 version 1 (from years ago) next to the new version 2 1/60 vf-1. Note the needle-nose of the old 1/60 fighter mode and the flatter, cockpit canopy?

pics take from swoosh (shows the free-er range of motions that the improved joints allow for):
http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... t&p=632370

It will be interesting to see how the GBP armor turns out. These 1/60 looks skinnier than the 1/48 so hopefully that translates into a leaner GBP too. The older 1/48 GBP armour looks very chunky and over-sized with little range of movement. Not 100% anime faithful.
Last edited by GameHED on 31 Jul 2008 02:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

GC:

Nice pic of three of the limited edition VF-1 releases (credit card valk not shown - the most rare of all):
Right to left:
VF-1 Low Visibility
VF-1 Roy Weathering special (decals and weathering hand applied)
VF-1 25th Anniversary
Brown Hornet

Post by Brown Hornet »

GameHED: thank you very much for those insights. Really helpful stuff.

I happen to have one of those masterpiece collection alpha fighters. It does seem like it's pretty easy to break. Looks cool though.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

NP. I agree it's the best looking alpha out there. (CMs version looks too skinny)

But generally I find toynami QC hit or miss. The MPC is just too delicate. Their 1/100 macross line is actually ok and set at a good price. The masterpiece voltron I hear is actually very good - everything we wish the robotech MPC was. But as always: it's safer to wait for reviews before dipping in.

Having said all that, even companies like hasbro have their occasional dips in QC. So when 2050AD arrives and Toynami decide to release the alpha fighter + beta fighter two pack and make them able to survive normal handling I'll be first in line to buy it.
The best news is they may be able to bring over some of the imported toys from other companies that they didn't make themselves. Robotech fans can have these repackaged as robotech toys, and/or fans of mospeada/macross can just buy the original but wit the benefit of support for breakages or spare parts. (something us import buyers didn't have before)

SDCC toynami coverage: (George Sohn talks about future releases and shit.)
more info here:
http://www.collectiondx.com/node/2685#comment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (worth clicking to see pics)
From the top, here's the Data:

Robotech / Mospeada Beta

* Beta Fighters will retail for $150
* Diecast content includes connection joints and lower legs
* Removable landing gear
* Each Beta has a new head, designed by Tommy Yune
* Masterpiece Packaging
* Red, Blue, Green, Grey and Purple versions planned

Masterpiece Cyclone

* Beagle version - Toynami version is scrapped
* Expected price point $130- $140
* Exclusive head for US market
* Masterpiece packaging same size as Beta packaging

Bandai 1/55 Reissue Valks

* Toynami version not confirmed for US release - gauging interest
* New head sculpts with telescoping necks - enables heads to be closer to undercarriage in fighter mode
* VF-1D is painted custom - Toynami wants to do valks that haven't been done before.

Toynami 1/100 Valks

* Series 4 to be packaged with armor, MSRP around $30
* Armored Valkyrie still on track for release
* 1/100 Battlepod are scratch built - expected to be produced. Non-opening cockpits. Will have weapons packs sold separately like 1/100 valks
* Dioramas are all scratch built and not going into production.

Voltron

* Giftset with vintage style packaging limited to 20 peices at Comi-con, wide release coming later. You can tell the comicon release by the white box handle instead of black.

Soul of Chogokin

* GX-06G1 Getter One Metallic is SDCC exclusive, limited to 500pcs in the US. Will also be offered for sale at Japanese Tamashii site, as well as future Tamashii Nations event in Japan.
* Toynami plans to bring SOC to us starting in 2009. Two versions will be released. First version will be a straight import - same price as Japan, same release date, same toy and packaging. Only change is Toynami sticker on back. Second version will be US exclusive release, with different paint schemes and packaging, POSSIBLY some changes to molds to fix prior QC issues.
* There is the possibility that CERTAIN Soul of Chogokin toys will be released under a CERTAIN label, with art by Alex Ross. This is still TBD.

Other nuggets...

* It's pronounced CHO-GO-KEEN, not CHO-GO-KIN
* TAMASHII means SOUL. George repeatedly referred to this combination as Toynami Tamashii
* CONFIRMED - Japan and HK version of SOC are made in the same factory at the same time - NO DIFFERENCE aside from sticker on box.
* Clear Gundam FIX limited to 1000 pcs
* 12" Hikaru Exclusive has light up action
* SIC limited peice same as JP version, 98 autographed for SDCC by SIC designer

As for the other lines shown at the Toynami Bandai / Tamashii booth - well, you will have to wait for the Bandai report for that...
6-08-08
---------
update covering news from summer wonderfest:

Bandai have another line "Robot Spirit":
GA Graphic posted a brief report giving minor details about the new Bandai robot line: Robot Damashii (Robot Spirits). This new line will feature 12 cm ABS/PVC figures with POM joints. The lineup will include mecha from Gundam 00's second season, Macross F, Code Geass, and Eureka Seven.
http://aeug.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not so interesting to me, since I am a transformation fan.

japanese blog covering summer wonderfest 2008: (includes pics of yamato 1/60 hikaru vf-1j)
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/damien_sancho/55407285.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ImageImage

Finally....pics of the yamato 1/60 VF-1D. Been a long time in coming. Two-seater valks.
ImageImageImage
left to right: 1. VF-1D with 1/60 destroid tomahawk and 1/60 destroid defender, 2. fighter mode of 1D, 3. CAD drawing of the VF-1D

This one was the trainer that hikarua was introduced to by roy in the tv series, where hikaru crushes a building learning how to control it, and also the one he first rescues minmay by diving after her after the robot arm got shot off. It's iconic to macross tv series in that it "my first valk" for the main character. In these pics the canopy looks a little deformed like a bubble. Maybe the shortening of the midsection of the valk caused that effect.

Another picture of the upcoming 1/60 destroid defender here:

1/60 hikaru 1A shown on yamato's site (non-FP version here

Not so much to cover this time except finally getting the VF-1D pics to look at. Cockpit seems a little short, but I wonder if that won't matter to the 1/60 fans who prefer the balanced look of the 1/60 over the "fighter mode is the only important mode" 1/48 fans. 1/48 fans are a little pissed that yamato never gave them the two seater valkyries like the VT-1D, Elint, Ostrich, etc I think maybe that is because historically the non-combatant valkyries were less important to most fans, and also too expensive at that scale?
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

1/60 VF-1S Roy with Super & Strike parts -GET!

Only had time to check it was all there and have a look at it in Jet mode for now but it looks very Smick.

Still waiting on my 1/48 25th Anniversary but that shipped after my 1/60.

Man those weathering Special Editions look sweet!

Also I've been very close to pulling the trigger on the 25th Anniversary YF-19 but I am holding off until I see how the paint scheme looks in the flesh. Unfortunately the AUD has taken a dump which kind of sucks.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

You have no idea the crazy prices people pay on ebay for the weathering special. Just for a faked appearance of a dirty mech lol I think what will happen in the future is the more unpopular paintscheme like the angel birds will also go up as collectors see that the 1/48 are about to be stopped as they concentrate on 1/60 now.

The most rare of the 1/48 vf-1 is the credit card valk. It's basically an all-black stealth vf-1 with skull emblem and a bit of blue. Only 3 were ever made.

Great news that toywave weren't in fact dodgy!
I was worried that they might have ripped you off because only just recently one of the MWB members gave them negative rep in the *blacklist thread. I had not checked the thread for a while and the last time I did they were in the straight shooters list being praised a lot. So that's a relief. (I've been ordering mainly from ebay or HLJ)

My recent purchase of a CMs Legioss and Tread combo arrived and turned out ok. So far this is the best toy of the alpha fighter and beta fighter but that's not saying much since there isn't much to compare it with. I could have bought heaps of transformers with the money but ate the high price. The reviews about it were spot on: very basic looking, anime coloured with big bright primary colour, tough and abusable, the linkage between the two looks half-arsed and the cost is not worth it, unless you are desperate.

There was a shadow legioss (without tread) that you could get, but by the time I learned of that I had already ordered the red Legioss Tread. If these had only gone down in price to match the toynami I would get the green and blue.

With the 1/60 vf-1: do make sure you transform it carefully. I hear the the swingbar is fiddly to transform. Some people have no idea what they are doing and say its hard to do. (not as easy as the 1/48)

other upcoming releases in the 1/60 line:
http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; DYRL Hikaru VF-1A with FP
http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; DYRL Hikaru VF-1A standalone
http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Destroid Tomahawk (looks good if overpriced)

* http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... t&p=611698
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Toywave aren't off the hook yet. I ordered the 1/48 from them... Though they have shipped and given me a tracking number so I expect it to show this week.

Yes the swing bar fucked with me on the 1/60 a bit but I took my time and kept staring at the manual pics and it all came together.

I think the 1/60 will stay in Battroid mode because it looks the coolest with all the Super/strike parks on it.

I'll Transform the 1/48 to see what it looks like in all modes but since it doesn't have all the extra parts it will look the best in fighter mode (I'm not a big fan of the fighter mode with all the packs on anyhow).
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

...if you still have spare money, and still love the 1/48 so much, see if you can get the 1/48 "GBP armor parts" and 1/48 "strike+super parts" cheap somewhere.

Now might be a good time to look on ebay for bargains since there are going to be people ditching all the old larger 1/48 vf-1 to make space for the 1/60.

Now of course the GBP armor is very thick and very bulky compared to what it looks like in the lineart, but by getting these extra GBP armor parts and super/strike parts you can make all 4 different valk pack types:

Naked Valk
Super valk
Strike valk
GBP armor valk

..and feel more complete. What you get with the GBP are special side parts that connect the back plate to the front chest plate so that there is no ugly gap when looking from the side of the battroid mode. Unless you don't really like GBP then just skip it. (keep in mind though that there is a slight difference between the tv series super parts and DYRL super parts but they both work clipping to the 1/48)

I only mention this because of the possibility of the prices going down to bargain level so it might be worth getting the extra parts if you search the buy/sell section of MWB and on ebay for those people who have no space or are moving place. (or whose GF is pissed off so is selling everything cheap :D) After a period of people selling off their old stuff I predict price goes back again as it becomes harder to find.

Now that you've got one have you ever considered trying to custom paint the 1/48? check out some of the nice customs of the 1/48 done by fans here
The ones by kurt are my fave. (battle-damaged vf1A on pg4 looks awesome. Much better than the weathered roy)

anyway some more links from hlj covering the 2008 summer wonderfest:
http://www.hlj.com/hlj_gallery2/v/wonfest/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
40000 geeks make their pilgrimage.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

I would need another 1/48 to bother with all the packs. Being the black and gold 25th Anniversary it will be best left naked. Potentially Stealth strike pack may look ok on it for some happy snaps?

There will be no custom painting of the above either for obvious reasons. If I was to try my hand at that I'd see if I could grab an Angel Bird VF1 on the cheap.

Oh and I still don't have my 1/48 so I'm not going to count my chickens. In fact I may be a little let down after getting the arguably more detailed 1/60 in the mail first.

Pics next to chunky jetfire will be forthcoming.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Cool..

My reason for not custom painting mine is that I lack patience and skill. But if some model kit guy were to do it for me to make it look as good as those fan customs I would pay them for it. It's worth it if you think of these as display pieces that you don't fiddle with much. But for those who like to transform it and stuff, you risk chipping the paint from too much handling.

I think that might be the reason people like those official yamato weathered editions. Lazy pricks! :D

And Hasbro: You should have made that transformers movie megatron toy have the shiny silver paint on first release you cheap arses. I hope that for the next movie that if they can just make starscream a skinny f22 (not chunky) and have good paint app at the same time I'd gladly buy it. Treat it like a valkyrie. (well I've seen SS able to do GERWALK mode so...)

One reason the FAST pack idea isn't popular is because it kinda ruins the sleek fighter jet look of the valk in fighter mode. But in space there is no problem with that so those micromissiles launchers and strike canon can help the fighter carry more micromissiles and do more damage. Since the aliens in the war outnumber the humans, having the extra ammo and firepower would allow them to fight for longer periods of time before having to reload. Prior to having those upgrades the vf-1 was lacking in weapons to deal with enemy. There really is no Super Valkyrie for the atmosphere though unfortunately. (ie atmospheric boosters like what the vf-11 had in macross plus)

One word of advice: on 1/48 when removing the intake covers, make sure you have something sharp like a fingernail to open them. (these should be open for atmosphere but closed for space) When you open them, in order not to lose these covers you can actually store them inside the micromissile box that comes with the valkyrie. The front portion of it can be pulled off and opened to reveal it as empty. I use that also to store hands. Very useful because for some TV series 1/48, you get an extra set of rubber hands that mimmick the rounded look of the tv series more than the robotic look seen in the movie. Anyway the chicken hands can be stored inside there so you don't lose them when you have the larger rubber hands equiped on the valk.

Another thing: the sticker guide. Make sure to follow that carefully (matching the number of the sticker with the number that appears in the guide on the first pages where you see the toy lineart) and use a sharp model knife thing to cut as close as you can around the stickers' actual marking and not just rely on the pre-cut outline which is way too far out. Many of the stickers have way too much empty space on the outside edges of the marking and end up being too big when you apply it on the toy because of the excess blank space. You should take some time first to cut as close to the edges of the marking to make it use as little surface area as possible on it so it fit where it is supposed to. Takes a long time and all those "no step" stickers are going to be a real pain in the arse and take a lot of free time. This is why we all wish yamato would tampo print as much of those details onto the toys instead of making us add crappy stickers/decals ourselves.
In fact I may be a little let down after getting the arguably more detailed 1/60 in the mail first.
Main thing will be the smallish robotic hands. Which imo were too skinny in proportion with the rest of the robot's body. The other major thing: the shoulders tend to hang a bit too low in fighter mode for a lot of people who are fans of that mode and are distracting. Another thing you could say is the backpack hinge. Be very careful with it. It can be under a lot of stress if you have the heavy diecast fast pack clinging on the to the backpack and the hinge suddenly is bent violently and with lot of presure on a tiny hinge once you transform it. You got to transform a FP-equiped valk slow, taking that part in mind. But there are recast parts you can get off people on MWB if something breaks. Just be aware that when transforming it, the backpack hinge is under more stress than other parts.

Just found some more pics of the upcoming destroids:
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/iam-cybergun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... e?mid=9393
Looking really detailed.

a bit of an update on the "which vf-0 releases are safe?" thread here.
(looks like the roy VF0S with ghost booster sold out at HLJ now)
I think there is a lot of waiting by fans of the macross zero valks for yamato to quickly reissue the older releases in new fixed runs.
Last edited by GameHED on 11 Aug 2008 07:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Ah some news on the Toynami Masterpiece Robotech Beta fighter after all:
Masterpiece Beta Fighter Vol. 1 - Blue

At long last, after years of demand from fans, Toynami is proud to announce the introduction of the newest release in the Robotech Masterpiece Collection: The Beta Fighter!

Designed to link up with the Masterpiece Alpha Fighter, the Masterpiece Beta Fighter - Volume 1 will be shipping in October/November 2008. Limited to a production run of only 10,000 pieces. The first volume will offer a Blue decoration scheme, with Volumes 2 and 3 to follow in Red and Green respectively.

FEATURES:
- Fully transformable into Battloid, Guardian & Fighter modes
- 1/55 scale
- Links with the Alpha Fighter (sold separately)
- Sturdy die-cast metal and plastic construction
- New Masterpiece box art by Tommy Yune, featuring more characters from Robotech: The New Generation

Shipping this October/November!

Price: $149.99
http://www.robotech.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I already bought my CMs though. To the guy who said he already got the alpha masterpiece, could you let us know with a review what these toynami betas are like if you decide to get one? Interested to hear how the thing holds and how it connects to the alpha and all the other stuff we aren't allowed to see at the shows because it's behind the glass. Looks kinda expensive. But to its credit it has the diecast giving it some weight where the CMS is light. (but diecast isn't a big thing for me unless the parts need it)

I wonder if in future they could fix all the QC problems of the alphas, rerelease new ones, and pack them with the beta fighter as a combo together?

..finally got off their arse to release it.. I didn't mean that comment as a bash against toynami but more from a "I feel sorry for the robotech fans" thing. They have been waiting aaages for this thing! And it came out before duke nukem forever. Good news. Now to wait for the reviews and complaints.

in other news:
dark legioss preorder page.
http://www.hlj.com/product/CMS65224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What was the dark legioss?
It was the black Alpha fighter that you saw late in robotech. It was armed with the snychro cannon thing and it could avoid detection from the inbit/invid which meant the humans could use them without the enemy knowing their position. Looks really cool imo. In the robotech universe these are known as "shadow" alphas and the leader of the inbit mentions the humans are possessed by the shadow or some crap. This is the whole theme of the shadow chronicles thing. The inbit probably have them as some ancient rival enemy or something. (haven't seen the movie in a while. Might rewatch it)

Megahouse ride armor. Yellow Belmont character release is out:
ImageImageImageImage
This is the one with the bigger tyres I was referring to earlier. If you hated the small wheels of the Stick release, this guy solves that problem because of the increase size of the wheels. Might get one of these myself actually. Still don't like the giraffe neck and skinny body of the rider though..

Pic of the CMs release of the Yellow Rider Armor:

..less feature rich, looks cheaper, more overpriced, smaller than the megahouse, but the transformation is more faithful to the show and the proportions on the wheels of the CMs are not as crap. (IMO)

If you like a more faithful transformation get the CMs (but don't complain that you got ripped off in how much you were charged for it. Its high price due to limited run, and not mass produced like toys from popular anime)

If you like larger size, a better looking armor mode, and more detail get the MH. But suffer from a shitty-looking unarmoured figure which looks like a human mixed with giraffe DNA with ugly gaps that expose joints.

Review of MH Dark Ride Armor with pics:
http://anymoon.com/blog/2008/08/11/mega" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... exclusive/

Upcoming Beagle ride armor pic (taken from hlj):

21-08-08
----------
Images from yamato magazine (hrm didn't know one existed) of the 1/60 VF-1D that is coming out: (the high visible two seater trainer that appears in the early episodes of SDF:M. Thanks to miriya on MWB for scans)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

updated pics of the Bandai macF 1/72 VF-25 transformable model:
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/iam-cybergun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ?mid=12747

update on beagle ride armor.

overdrive have the beagle ride armor for preorder:
http://www.over-drive-inc.com/store/pro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... bb17f55767
Might be best to wait for the toynami release price first to see if there is a cheaper price.

more pics of bandai 1/72 vf-25 model:
ImageImageImage
1. Interior detail in the leg engines and cockpit
2. Perfect transformation to all 3 modes
3. Folding wings and use of a metal shaft to strengthen the transforming forward fuselage area
4. The forward fuselage's folding hinge (double jointed) will be interior hidden when in fighter mode.
5. The hips rotate in battroid mode
6. The knees will move forward and legs will splay outward for gerwalk mode
7. Landing gears and joint for use with Action Base 1 included
8. Gunpod and knife included as armament
9. Knife can be stored in the shield, canopy will be clear, 1/72 scale pilot figure included
10. Optional hands included - weapon holding hands, open hands, and dummy hands for transformed mode
11. Water slide decals and tetron? stickers included for detailing
toysdaily forums pic:
pictured on the bottom is prototype pic for the Bandai 1/100 perfect transformation vf-25.

pic of the yellow MH ride armor showing the change in wheel size:

27-08-08
----------
yammie 1/60 VF1A is out
pics are in the thread. Whoosh is great at taking images.

Some differences observed between this and the original Roy VF-1S

1. All shoulder and elbow are not at tight as the 1S, I do not mean joins loose anyhow, it has right amount of fiction which make you less worry about the shoulder hinge, also making posing a bit easier.
2. Canopy coating is slighty different, this time it is more on the purple side, coating on my 1S looks more like Oakley's emerald and has more reflection.
3. No crooked skull, the 1S I got has crooked 1 or 2 degree one of the tail fin, actually I didn't notice it until member point it out.
The shoulder thing is something people were scared was too tight that it might stress the weak looking hinge that it is attached so I gather yamato loosened this a bit. When posing the arm make sure to grip it be the hinge and then pose to avoid stress.
The crooked skull thing is a problem with some VF-1S but not all. The way to check if your has a crooked skull emblem, is to fold the two tail fins down and see if one isn't mirror image of the other. It's not a problem for a lot of people if it is but it can be for the modellers who tend to freak out at the slightest inaccuracy more than the toy guys.

Hikaru 1A is the very first valk Hikaru uses in DYRL movie, when he has to defend the insides of the SDF-1 and gets sucked into a large area and sealed off as the SDF-1 closes up.
Red skull background and red trimming is for Hikaru
Black skull background and yellow trimming is for Roy
Green skull background and green trimming is for Kakizaki
Blue skull background and blue trimming is for Max

By the end of the show Hikaru becomes skull leader and has a VF-1S and the moneyshots take place at the end of the movie where he pwns the aliens in fully equiped super valk for multiple head shots winning the war singlehandedly. Max also get a VF-1S when he fights against his rival ace pilot who is using a red qrau. The tradition in a lot of these mecha shows is that the bad guy who pilots a red mecha is an ace and can do stuff the normal guys can't so having them duel the ace pilot of the good guys is the climax of the show. It goes back to Mobile Suit Gundam where the character 'Char' uses a red Zaku robot and nicknamed the red comet. I assume the flashy colour means they are flashy in flying behaviour too so that is why the ace pilots have the brightly coloured robots while the shitty ones have the plain colours.

The colour coding of the stripes for each character is silly of course, but in animation it just helps you to distinguish which character you are looking at by giving them different coloured stripe, to avoid confusion so that why it's there.

15-9-08
---------
more images of BGC figures with parts swap motoslave here.
review here.
Personally what I think? They should have made them larger, and made them perfect transformation like the megazone 23 garland.

release date for 1/60 yamato Destroid Defender seems to be december. Tomahawk seems to be sept 25th.

Yamato 1/60 VF-1S Roy review from collection DX:
written review with history of valk releases:
http://collectiondx.com/node/2739" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like some people are starting to have shoulder hinge probs with the 1/60 yamato vf-1s. Be careful how you handle and pose the shoulders. The shoulders are tight, but the hinge isn't designed well. Something for yamato to improve..
More info here.
Criticisms of the shoulder design here.
Not so easy to repair with replacement parts.
Looks to be they loosened up the shoulders a bit on the VF-1A release to put less pressure on the hinge. Maybe future releases will have it made of tougher materials?
What to do if the shoulders are too tight.
more info 1. more info 2. more info 3. Possible cause with diagram here. Another pic[url].

Bandai 1/100 VF-25 macross frontier toy news:

[url=http://ga.sbcr.jp/mgangu/010962/]new pics

The bits on the 1/100 which wil be swappable parts:
The GA article lists what will be the swapping parts.

1. the head
2. the shoulder-joint area
3. the crotch area block
4. the rear fins
The advantage of the swapping parts is better proportions, (and more line art accuracy) for each mode. But since I'm a PT guy, I will sit this out and get the 1/60 DX gokin instead.
comparison between the chunky munky 1/60 vf-25 and 1/100 lineart accurate vf-25:

Bandai 1/72 transforming kit of VF-25 dengeki hobby mag oct2008 issue:
http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... t&p=646993
Vast improvement.

pics of the model kit when finished:
http://ga.sbcr.jp/mplamo/010979/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

more pics:
http://www.macross.com.cn/album/upload/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ade35e.JPG
http://www.macross.com.cn/album/upload/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... d73049.JPG
http://www.macross.com.cn/album/upload/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 8556e5.JPG
http://www.macross.com.cn/album/upload/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 971478.JPG
http://www.macross.com.cn/album/upload/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 1a3b9c.JPG

C3 X Hobby 2008 pics:
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7568/fed4f5d7mn9.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/783/bef93df3jl7.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8399/1763f69dsg3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7464/f573e2ecaq1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/8306/88e55bb6nk5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6213/eecd7e4fer9.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/7816/30b8ca59vb8.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/7411/cc8c94bdtt3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9048/c18d08f4fv7.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blows the 1/60 DX toy out of the water. :up: More delicate though.
boxart: http://www.hobbyfanatics.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? ... t&id=29828

Release date for 1/72 kit is September 18th.

newer pics:
http://i37.tinypic.com/2h6682q.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --- http://i34.tinypic.com/2dbrxms.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i33.tinypic.com/4geme.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --- http://i38.tinypic.com/2weazhl.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i36.tinypic.com/2wlvp6c.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --- http://i33.tinypic.com/27yxt7c.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i34.tinypic.com/103sas1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --- http://i38.tinypic.com/287qlgl.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i38.tinypic.com/15bk87.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --- http://i33.tinypic.com/4l20xu.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i35.tinypic.com/123173n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --- http://i33.tinypic.com/2nqfuw6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i33.tinypic.com/ruz3sy.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --- http://i35.tinypic.com/mucqqq.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i38.tinypic.com/rvvzix.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --- http://i37.tinypic.com/2mxic2c.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mid transformation pics:
http://www.fig-soul.com/07/images/45431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... _img01.jpg
http://www.fig-soul.com/07/images/45431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... _img02.jpg
http://www.fig-soul.com/07/images/45431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... _img03.jpg
http://www.fig-soul.com/07/images/45431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... _img05.jpg
http://www.fig-soul.com/07/images/45431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... _img06.jpg

http://www.fig-soul.com/07/4543112555250.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

comes with sticker sheet and water slide decals. Will be interesting to see how floppy the limbs of this kit will get in robot mode over time. This may be a factor in some people's decision.

16-09-08
----------
CDX review of the 1/60 yamato VF-1A with strike and super parts:(differences between early roy release should be mentioned here - but basically the shoulder joint has now been loosened to avoid stress on the hinge in order to avoid breakages that some have had when handling the Roy release)
18-09-09
-----------
Bandai 1.72 kits of the vf-25 are out japan. Lots of pics here including the instruction manual:
http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-74949-1-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Early image of the cad lineart for the upcoming Yamato 1/60 VF-11B here.

And just for something a bit different:
anime figure otaku gets on mainstream news?:
http://www.dannychoo.com/adp/eng/1572/d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... n+CNN.html
:lol:

21-09-08
----------
1/72 bandai macross F vf-25 kit (Alto)
more images emerge as modellers build up the kit (includes mid transformation pics)
http://hima-toy.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -802a.html

pics with the bandai action base stand:
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

another review of the kit:
http://www.geocities.jp/hobby_no_toriko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -alto.html

more pics showing posability:
http://gamu-toys.info/gangu/pura/r3/mf01/mf01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No info yet on what's going to happen with armour and super packs for this: will they release them as seperate parts you eqiup to the non-armoured release or as another kit altogether with the parts included with it?

Ozuma release will be november.

Yamato 1/60 VF-1S shoulder mod/issues news:
here
nice pic showing how the two shoulder armor pieces can be taken apart for you to do a mod on the shoulder that makes it less tight in order to put less pressure on the hinge. (which some people have said may crack in time if the screws were screwed on too tight - this will lower risk of a cracked shoulder over time)

more problems about the hinge:
here
(it's just poor design, but could it also be materials too?)

Toynami Robotech Masterpiece Beta Fighter news:
here
boxart for the MPC Beta fighter from mospeada. Now to await actual reviews of this thing.

22-09-08
----------
Latest Bandai 1/60 VF-25 pics up to now: (looks like the hips are a bit smaller - maybe slimmed down since last pics?)
http://tamashii.jp-network.co.jp/staff_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ?eid=00118
Models are probably more detailed than it, but this will feel solid to hold for those collectors who want something to beat people over the head with.
translation of text:
diecast areas - ankle area, thigh, shoulder base, upper arms, and other areas requiring strength.

Other info in the text - ball joint used in ankle and crotch area. Crotch-leg-thigh area will be able to spray outwards in gerwalk mode. Landing gears to be made out of metal with rubber tires and able to store inside.
Here is a great little article that compares the VF-1 toys together and rates them:
http://anymoon.com/blog/2008/09/22/vf-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ison-post/

More news on Bandai Macross Frontier 1/72 VF-25 Ozuma kit (mag scan - click thumbnail to see high quality image):
http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

..coming in November at 4,725 Yen

Looks to be the 1/72 alto kit is already sold out on hlj:
http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN955525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh well I was going more for Ozuma anyway.

another review posted.

nice arguments between the bandai fan vs yamato fan here. :D

Bandai 1/100 vf-25 magazine scans:

Newest magazine scan for Bandai 1/60 vf-25:
Image Image ImageImage

scan of bandai 1/100 (transformable but with parts swap)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

*thread boost*

Fri-26-sept-08
----------------

Here's a set of pics showing what the vf-25 1/72 kit looks like without stickers decals or paint applied:
http://usjma.net/c-board/c-board.cgi?cm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... id=entame2

ImageImage ImageImage
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
^
This thing has turned out much better than expected and has sold out pretty quickly already. Let's hope that bandai makes the Super Pack and Armored Pack versions quickly instead of milking us dry of money by getting us to buy the same thing twice. Releasing a naked version without the armor is diabolical.

Graham has uploaded some nice scans of the hobby japan Macross F special showing upcoming 1/72 kits here.

Painting guide for 1/72 kit:
ImageImage
Painting guide translation for 1/72 kit here.

-added Rainbow Ten and Hobby World Japan to the list of online import hobby shops.

27-09-08
----------
transformation video for the kit above:
more macF bandai 1/60 images: (after a long time with not much info)
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image

check this post for summary of all images about the 1/60 released so far. (living document which gets updated regularly as new info and images comes out)
Landing gear seems to be the biggest beef which hopefully is fixed for final toy. Legs also seem to be place too high up on the bot mode.

30-9-08
---------
more from the special:
http://www.macross.com.cn/bbs/read.php?tid=33738" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

download magazine scans here. (torrent file)

Another review for the 1/72 vf-25 mac f kit.

part II

update on 1/60 destroids: looks like yamato will be releasing special weathered versions of them just like the recent weathered 1/48 vf-1:
Image Image Image

I wonder how much more these will cost? Personally I think if it gets out of the price range of what most people would pay for a non-transforming robot, then I think not many will buy it. But given the fact that the destroids are under represented in macross, there is an apreciation amongst the toy buyers to finally see something other than the valkyrie all the time. (willing to go the extra effort to get hold of this stuff due to how its not as popular as the hero mecha in the show)

05-10-08
----------
Beagle Ride Armour news:
Some great mid transformation pics of the Mospeada Ride Armour from beagle here.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Destroid Tomohawk pics:
more pics here:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/type97/20080930#p1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's out finally.
http://www.toy-wave.com/eng/detail.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? ... 2&table=88
1/60 just like all the yamato valks so they are to scale with everything else. Despite being happy about the sculpt and detailing on this (its accurate to the lineart in the design works) it looks pretty expensive for the what you get just like the 1/60 Qrau. But good thing about this is the box is small. Yamato is slowly learning how to make better packaging for the shipping-cost-conscious importer.

pics showing some great posability.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

..not that the type of mech this is even requires that amount compared to the valkyries.

Interesting AICN article covering macross 25. Will it ever get brought to NA with the current legal problems? ..and a nice summary of the franchise itself for those unfamiliar with it.

8-10-08
---------
final pics of the dx vf-25: (still looks chunky to me but not too bad)
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Comparison pic between the Bandai 1/72 transforming model kit, the CG lineart, and the 1/60 DX transforming Toy:

Looks like the Toy has the classic 'chunky munky' gene inherited from the vf-1 toy. Squat. A bit chubby. Not as delicate looking as yamato toys.
While the model is obviously slimmer, nice and clean in fighter mode, and more focused on being accurate in sculpt than to be tough and durable like the 1/60 toy.

Either way I am going to wati for reviews and the armored packs first.

11-10-08
----------
pics of the stickersheet you get with the Destroid Tomahawk:

updated pics of the upcoming Destroid Defender (Tomahawk is out now, this one will be around december 08):

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10078927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More pics here (seem to be high visibility "construction worker" colours used though instead of the dull shade I like for these machines)
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/iam-cybergun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ?mid=14768

preorder pages are up:
http://www.over-drive-inc.com/store/pro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... cts_id=930
http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT09026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Overall I think these destroids look awesome with lots of detail included, (looks just like the lineart in miyataki design works) but I wish they were much cheaper. It's like the overpriced 1/60 Qrau all over again.. Price was it's main criticism. I think people are more relaxed with paying more for valkyries because they are more complex toys than the non-transformable mecha. Battletech fans at least have something new to sink their teeth into.

17-10-08
----------

Bandai MacF 1/72 transforming kits news:

Michel

Luca
ImageImage

http://www2.moeyo.com/img/08/10/16/7/707.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots more pics here *drooling*

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... t&p=673052

It would take me ages to post the images so I linked to the boards. If you can't see

it.. use the site:
http://blog.hobbystock.jp/report/2008/10/hm0027.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Images of the Red Vajra:
http://blog.hobbystock.jp/report/2008/10/hm0027.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ozuma + boxart for Ozuma:
ImageImage

Clear versions:
ImageImage

some images of the upcoming DX Macross F figures:
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/iam-cybergun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ?mid=14930

Luca and Michel shown.

Then more pics of Alto and Ozuma.

http://www.geocities.jp/toybu0210/EVENT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ohama.html

more images from macrossworld:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... t&p=673056
(there' just too many here for me to display so you're better off looking at it there.

Shows the Ozuma, Michel and Luca DX Gokins)

better pics here:
http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... t&p=673058

VF-25G (Michel)

RVF-25 (Luca)

VF-25S (Ozuma)

Mospaeda goodies:

Review of the Dark Legios: (this was released as a standalone without TREAD)
http://www.collectiondx.com/node/3015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More CMs Mospeada releases:

Shinobu or "sue graham" to the robotechers (she appeared late in the series to gather

footage of battles so her main 'weapon' is a camera.
ImageImageImageImage

Houquett/Rook Bartley:

ImageImageImageImage

Mint:

Another pic of Beagle Ride Armour (Rey/Rand) Prototype image:

Yamato Destroid tomahawk news:
People have been getting theirs in. Some things to watch out for:
http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... t&p=671299
1. The cockpit is a bit hard to open and I have genuine concern about how long it can last. I'd advise not opening and closing it too often.

2. Watch out for the antenna.

3. I'm noticing wear on the missile hatches. Nice grey plastic underneath though.

4. The cannon arms are plug-ins and not glued on mine. The long barrels aren't a problem -- you tend to noticed that they are missing, after all -- but the back end of the arm is similarly plugged in; one of mine fell off but luckily it was in a bag. Reattachment isn't a problem.

5. Waist joint is annoyingly loose -- the 'Hawk would tilt forward and back without much warning. Annoying but not fatal.

6. The "heat sink"/ "boxes" on the thighs are slotted in, not glued on my pair. If you look at the Defender's legs, you can see the slots where they are supposed to go. Be aware that they can fall out, so check it every once in a while.

7. Hip mobility sucks and hence affects the whole leg's posability. There is two modes -- an upper/ "normal" mode where the hip bar is in the upper position, and a lower/ "dynamic" mode where the hip bar is in the lower position, giving slightly more room for dynamic poses. Unfortunately, the thigh armour doesn't allow for much mobility, so it's largely wasted.

I do wish Yamato took some liberty with the clearances here to give us a much better toy than a good looking model, but them's the breaks. This is my largest displeasure with this toy.

On the positive side, it's a nice solid metal bar. It's a single bar for both hips though, so some issues there, but nothing you cannot live with.

8. The left knee seems to be consistently stiffer than the right knee on both of mine. You might have to use a bit of force on the left knee to get it to go past the detents.

9. The ankle and foot assembly is a marvel. Metal/ rubber/ plastic assembly, quite intricate. I like it, except that one of my 'Hawk's foot had already became a bit loose. Still, nothing too terrible.

Overall this is a good toy, nothing fundamentally fatal. Nice solid brick, good to see that after the frustrating YF-21 and VF-1 v2.0. I feel it's worth the price -- provided nothing breaks suddenly.
Being non-transforming, there should be the kind of problems related to the more complex transforming valkyries which are made up of many small parts. Just like the 1/60 QRau yamato releasd years ago.

More reviews:
http://anymoon.com/blog/2008/10/13/yama" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -tomahawk/
customs:
http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-77166-1-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Money is getting tight: I would wait for bandai to release future Armored and Super versions of the macross F kits instead of buying the bare versions right now. CMs Ride Armours look tempting but if I could onyl get one Ride armour toy I would just wait for Beagle which imo is the best of the lot.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Brown Hornet,

Update for you:

Collection DX has done up their review of the Beagle RA which has just come out. Expect Toynami to bring out this same toy to the US under the "Robotech Masterpiece" name reboxed and all. Also expect theRobotech version to have a more realistic (less manga-esque) head sculpt.

This is Beagle's first toy and it is getting very positive reviews. :up: So glad I decided to skip all the other companies' mospeada releases. Be prepared to have a heartattack at the price they've set. (they are playing the yamato game of "limited releases to arse rape the desperate fanboy collector" thing)

Don't expect much diecast. But don't expect shit quality like the previous toyami made masterpieces either. Whether this is worth the price is really up to how badly you want the ultimate Mospeada Ride Armor toy on the market. (just like with the CMs Alpha-Beta (Legioss-TREAD) combo pack that was released recently but which got lukewarm reviews in terms of its high price plus the major screw-up over the connection between fighters)

CDX 30 min video review:

Oh and the Toynami Beta Fighter came out recently too: verdict is that it's transformation isn't as good as the CMs (the part that CMs got right and stays accurate to the show) but it looks to have a better connection to the alpha fighter than what the CMs toy could achieve.

ARgh. If only CMs didn't screw up the connection between the two, fans would finally have the perfect toy. But as it is you got to choose between the Toynami one (whose earlier alpha fighter suffers from poor QC and whose beta isn't accurate) or the CMs (which for its time was overpriced, but I hear the price has come down)

Since the dollar is weak, I would just wait until all the different characters in Beagle's Mospeada Line have been released (hope price falls just like the CMs Mospeada Legioss TREAD) and decide on which one you want the most first. I think I will only go for Stick and the chic in the red Cyclone/ride armor (Houquett/Rook) characters.
Mospeada unlike macross isn't as widely popular in japan so these are going to be higher on my must-buy list.

Good to hear this toy has no major quality control issues so far too. That was the only reason I never owned any of the toynami stuff. And the yamato stuff can be risky if you buy the earliest release. (bide your time and wait for all the japanese kids to absorb all the early mistakes heh)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

^
Toynami Beta Fighter Review from CDX.

Never owned the Toynami Masterpiece alpha fighter so I probably won't be getting this. I'm happy with the CMs I have. But for those who have the alpha fighter, now you can join it up with the beta. Don't expect an accurate robot transformation compared to the CMs though. Fans of transformation accuracy (as opposed to sculpt accuracy) like myself are better off with the CMs. But for those who want a heavy diecast toy which feels good to hold (a feeling of solidity and weight in the materials) this is your thing. Given that the Beta Fighter is a very basic transforming vehicle (unlike the valkyries from macross) expectations that nothing should go wrong are much higher here. One of the reasons these kinds of toys feel delicate in the first place is due to the very complex mecha designs. Beta fighter isn't one of those. It's just a glorified booster for the alpha that has big chunks folding dowards. (my guess is that it was only to be used in space, a bit like the FAST packs in macross before the alpha fighter would "dive into the atmosphere" ejecting that part, but for story and "wanting an interesting toy" reasons they later made it be a transforming robot that could fly anywhere independently too)

http://www.robotech.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^
there should be some place on the official RT site soon for you to be able to order the robotech "robotech cyclone masterpiece" for those intending to buy US. Also you can buy the beta masterpiece there too. But do shop around first to find the best deal. One of the advantages of dealing with people in english is you can get easier support if say you notice there is something missing, or some part was sent in duplicate. (sometimes people get sent two right hands or a piece that is assembled wrong like a shoulder part put backwards for example)

Edit: notice in the CDX review of the Toynami Beta, where they do a comparison with the CMs version, you can clearly see how the chest of the CMs robot mode is nicely tucked into its body properly just like the anime? But on the Toynami the nose just hangs out like a sagging boob? That's what I was referring to when mentioning how the CMs has the more-accurate robot transformation, despite feeling "cheaper" because of its lightness and also the more happy and bright oversaturated anime colours it has. (where the military hates to camouflage itself for some reason :P )
Brown Hornet

Post by Brown Hornet »

Cool, thanks GameHED I will check this out.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

:up:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

MP grimmy looks awesome! Although having said that I do think the newer classics design is a better design imo but nostalgiac g1 fans should definitely go for this.

Maybe 20 years from now they'll do a masterpiece "classics" and have that grimlock done up at high quality.

Any speculation on who is next? Rodimus maybe? I think wheeljack or prowl should be next. Wheeljack was the mad scientist who created grimlock. Prowl because he is second in command to prime. It just makes sense since decepticon fans have starscream.

*reasons include: articulated tail, the t rex can be posed in either tail dragger or tail back pose. Bad things include the head is too big (poor proportions) and shitty melee weapon. (probably because he was only a deluxe)

Prowl the logic-obsessed strategist whines about how he hates innovation, next to the creative genius who invented the very illogical dinobots which saved the car robots arses countless times despite being hard to command. Kids, don't grow up to be too much like him. You'll get beaten up in the playground and whine about the 20th aniiversary collectors toys not looking right as an jaded adult which isn't good.

^
such a prick, but still at least he isn't all hopeless like magnus and hotrod.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Oh Man. I got addicted! Still got Max 1/60 VF-1S and Kakizaki 1/60 VF-1A coming to complete my Skull Squadren (at least they are already paid for).

Should prob offload my Hikky VF-1A since I now have his VF-1S.

And here are my Revoltechs including the more exclusive Max & Mila (Blue/Red) for the unwashed.

Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Ohhh the UBERTRON!! Sexayy!! :D