Mechs toys

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Re: Mechs toys

Post by ObSoLeTe »

Picked up this as a gift today . Pretty sweet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Did anyone say anyone say come at me bro?
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

yeah nice one!
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Bandai Chogokin Macross YF-29 Isamu Dyson scheme (from the recent macross 30 game) is officially out now. :up:

YF-29 (Isamu Dyson repaint) transformation vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17LIcGMGhBA#t=62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine should be coming soon. Almost forgot I had ordered one of these until I got notice in email reminding me it is being sent. :redface: Looking forward to see the cooler gunpod with the knife.

For those didn't preorder theirs you can still get orders for this on nippon yasan:
http://www.nippon-yasan.com/macross/556 ... mitee.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Super Valkyrie parts for this will also be available soon (release for these is May 2014):

http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en/mac ... ition.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I like this bird without it. Much too busy of a design with all the extra crap on it. Especially in robot mode. It's just overkill. The little harpoon things look funny lol

nice pics of yf-29 repaint:
http://metalrobot.forumfree.it/?t=66461 ... 5#lastpost" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gamu review of yf-29:
http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/gouki/dx33/dx3301.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/gouki/dx33/dx3302.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tcrackers pics:
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... &p=1093269" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... &p=1093440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Impressions

good news on this is that the joints are pretty tight compared to previous releases (bandai is known for floppy joint syndrome on their macross toys):
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... &p=1093796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... &p=1094276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of people are getting theirs in mistransformed state as if the people involved with packing had no idea how to transform it properly. The only bad thing so far is how plasticky the toy feels. Too glossy and shiny. But all the CG planes look like this in the show so what can you do? That's what the models are for.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

T3 prototype of 1/60 arcadia yf-19:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got my yf-29 2 days ago too. Will try to transform the thing without wrecking it. May take pics.

review of the older edition for those who missed out on it:
specs and info on this beast:
http://macross.anime.net/wiki/YF-29_Durandal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it seems like anything with '9' in it = forward swept wings variable fighter.

eg
vf-9 cutlass:
perhaps one day we can get this too.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

I got the batman PF.

He is a beast.
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by ObSoLeTe »

he looks pretty fucking sweet bruce, shame about the pits but that is such a minor flaw for a pretty damn good looking figure. also awesome batman and superman busts and speaking of bust im looking forward to the end of may and I should have the T-800 combat veteran bust

ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by ObSoLeTe »

new T1 T-800 battle damage 1/6 scale
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles ... e-20140217
a shame its only a 1/6 scale tho

Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

So have we figured out if this thread is about mech's toys or if it's about mech toys?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I always like to pretend it's about Mech's toys.
KillKen
lazy
XBL ID: KillKen

Post by KillKen »

I think I originally named the thread something else then a mod changed it? I am happy with my T2 Battle Damaged. Hey Bruce have you seen SS Wonder Woman 1/4? I am really keen for it but I don't think I could swing the price.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Wasn't a rumour after all:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... 552&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VF-0D the one plane that wasn't covered by yamato back in the early days of the OVA's release. Now Arcadia are revisting the machines from this show. Not limited run like vf-4 or yf-19. Hopefully that means it isn't overpriced like hell at retail and eventually ordinary people can get it at bargain price.

mechs toys is a funny thread title. Maybe rename it anime/sci-fi/movie collectibles thread. Once those old animes movies and sci fi shows are forgotten about, (and there is nothing good to replace it) all the merchandise that was around during its time is all that fans have to preserve the memory of them. Less fans of classic shows = much harder to find goodies on the second hand market once the things go out of production. Once license expires it gets worse. Macross Zero is a perfect example. Cool looking planes that have realism you don't see in later shows, but the ova wasn't that popular despite the cool dogfights and origin story of the valkyrie. ..which means you won't see many toy companies bother to do anything from it. The mecha look cool (especially the destroids with practical looking rollers on their feet.)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Latest pics of VF-0D

Looking forward to this as I was a big fan of Zero (even more than plus mostly because of the dogfighting in the fighter mode) I hope they take their time with this one.

I just bought a whole bunch of shit and have no money left. Thankfully this will be mass release toy not the made to order item sold at premium prices (ie VF-4, YF-19).

The swing wing variants I predict will be later. This is top priority since it was the one VF-0 Phoenix variant that never got made back when yamato had the license last time in the early 00s.
If they decide to redo the Anti-UN fighter like the SV-51 I am going to sell off my old one. I like it as a display piece but times have changed and Arcadia/Yamato have gotten better at making the toys more like proper toys with more sturdy joints and heavy feel to them. (they brought back diecast and it feels good in the VF-19)

As an example I have not transformed it (SV-51) in 5 years. Maybe I am too scared it will get loose. Or maybe fighter mode is just the best. But whatever I think it has been great for its time but I want an upgraded version of this with the better joints they can give us today.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Ordered the Brian Cranston YF-19 V3. Should be dropping soon!

.....Rocks!

Oh and they just teased another Macross series coming. Just when I thought I was out, They pull me right back in!
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Whoa I just looked and the good news is that the old fold booster can attach to this new yf-19.

Once I get this I am going to pose it next to the VF-19.

You saving up for he VF-0D next year?

List of things to get:

VF-0D
YF-30 (missile rack on shoulders looks a bit weird)
VF-25 Ozuma Reissue (it's got to come out soon)

I hope the new series has as good animation as frontier for the valkyrie fights. Quality over quantity is what I prefer.

this is a good guide to macross toys and what has made them appealing to aviation fans and toy collectors:
http://youtu.be/wt3eTLG_x4A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gundam will always be known as the sci fi cartoon that gave us the 'real' robot show. Macross gave us the realistic looking transforming robot show with the hyper stylised fighting ability that would never work in real life if you had to fly around in the robot while being spammed by dozens of missiles. One is all about romance and pop, the other is serious war story in space and idealistic kids.

What seperates macross from other shows is how close to the real jets the robots can be and the way they fight in the three modes at different speeds.

Slower speed gives you robot mode which transfers the unused energy not being used in thrusters to make the machine more robust and hard so it can crash into things without turning into a wreck.
Higher speed gives you fighter ability to get to the target in time to lock on and dogfight other aircraft. In between those two gives you the GERWALK which lets you slow down or speed up to get to the other modes smoothly as well as make vertical landings and take offs.
In some environments like space you may not need to fight long range so the robot mode gives time to react to objects at close ranges and wide angles without making the pilot sick. (turning rate can be faster since pilot is right in the centre of the vehicle, not at the extreme edge of the vehicle. Ever got dizzy on a merry-go-round? That's what spinning too quickly will do in fighter mode)

Valkyries are the heroes' vehicle since they make most of the other dedicated craft obsolete. In other shows vehicles serve one role and the pilot isn't able to take a fight anywhere.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Just got payment request email from HLJ.com

Quite an expensive bird this one. But you get so much stuff. (extra missiles plus FAST pack loadout)

The pilots are also poseable. :P
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

HLJ payment sent!

Remaining known valks to get

VF-0D
YF-30

Then a breather and a new series and more wallet rape. At least it will be Bandai licenced and reasonably priced (if you can hit f5 fast enough to secure one).
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Well if it is hero valk piloted by the main character then yes, otherwise if it is a cannon fodder (like Luca, or generic pilot with no name) then there will be plenty to go around and it will be much easier to get.

If it is a web exclusive and requires preorder then it will also be easier to get than a retail release ( ie no bullshit f5 crap ad staying up in the morning) which is usually bought up by the evil scalpers and collectors who buy multiples and then try to sell at inflated price. This can't be done when the item is a made-to-order product so everyone has an equal chance to obtain one if it is preorder-to-tell-us-if-we-should-bother-to-even-release-it thing. :up:

Arcadia imo still make the superior quality (better joints, no paint chipping, etc) despite the hefty price.

But yeah bandai make the hobby much more affordable. (if you don't count the expensive himetal toys they did)

comparison pics of old yamato yf-19 to the new arcadia yf-19:
http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-222403-1-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^
check out the massive difference in gunpod sizes lol

^
remember both old and new are supposed to be 1/60 scale. New version is way closer to how it should be.

check the better pilot sculpt (this kind of detail used to only be for kits):

the most important change for the aircraft nuts (old one looks so ugly):
2nd hand market value of older yf-19 must have dropped a lot now that this is out - you should have sold it if you owned the older one just as news of this was coming out. Both battroid and fighter mode of the old one pretty much got owned. :shock:

I got rid of my old yf-19 because of all these above-mentioned issues. It was only ok for its time, but not to the standard I expected. (small gunpod, no chest lock mechanism, average pose-making ability, the gullet from side view) Why am I excited about this one? Because I have two VF-19S and the quality of these was big step up from older yamato stuff. This yf-19 has to be even better or at least match the vf-19.
:allbow:

As long as they keep improving people will have a justifiable excuse to upgrade without thinking they are just buying the same old thing.

Let's say in an alternate universe the companies were reversed and it was arcadia doing the macross frontier toys. I would be way happier even if I had to pay higher prices. The only reason bandai made a version 2 toys of mac F, is really because of the higher standards set by yamato by the time the bandai macross frontier v1 toys came to market.

Having said that, the vb-6 monster was awesome on first try :P More of that is what I like. Got rid of the old yamato vb-6. Hopefully bandai reissue that toy again for those who missed out on it.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

high quality pics of unboxed yf-19:
http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/yamato/arc ... f1901.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you did not get one expect repaints and cheaper alternatives in future as they milk the mold.

Maybe they can get Bryan Cranston to even sign a few of these and sell them online or at comic convention for premium price? :D
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

For those of you who are in need of extra stands to display your valks there is a nice design being 3d printed by a guy on the mwb:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... opic=40910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not really a fan of that fighter mode arm. Takes up too much space.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Mine finally arrived today. Pics of box taken with psvita camera (will take some more of the toy itself later)

gerwalk mode looks pretty good in these pics.
http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/yamato/arc ... MG3678.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No transformation vids yet.

If this does well I hope we get a chunky (robot mode) YF-21 as well. Maybe not chunky but legs that look a little more muscled like this toy does.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

update on bandai yf-30 chronos:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-eA3h1v6zc#t=20[/youtube]

looking good. Looks best in f-mode. Not as nice in battroid. Frontier valks alll look the same to me. The bot modes are getting more and more kibbly I have noticed. Hand to hand combat must be a mess in the newer mechs

Hopefully it sells like shit in japan so it is easier to get one before japanese scalpers mark up the price.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

hobbylink japan unboxing vid of Arcadia YF-19:
Poseability on the toy is amazing. You can do the spilits. Just like Van Damme in No Retreat No Surrender.

My impessions of the toy so far:

I have since transformed mine to each mode once. Everything seems to lock solidly together (the chest doesn't flop aroud like on the old yf-19 yamato) and the transformation is quite easy after your first attempt. But you will have to apply quite a bit of force on the legs to get them to move because it is very tight (at least on mine) and this is scary at first because you feel as if you are going to wreck something. For something expensive this can be intimidating.

The most delicate part are the wings because of the high speed mode gimmick on this toy. Definitely not something I would drop to the floor to test its strength. (no easy access to spare parts like other toys)

FAST packs are a bit fiddly to get on and not as easy as the vf-11 which had the magnets to auto-snap into place.

Sculpt is as close to the battroid mode lineart to date, and the plastic is of the same feel as vf-4 and vf-19 but without the shiny finish of vf-19.

One thing people hadn't noticed was the gunpod is missing the details on its side where there are little vents but it's a minor gripe. (hopefully they fix it by next release)

Liked the VF-19 Blazer and VF-19 Fire Valk? This is a no brainer. Just don't tell people how much you paid.

When you feel the weight of this in your hands compared to older yamato toys you will be happy to know they used metal. But not in bad spots which would loosen the figure.

The downside to this is how we were all hoping to get a nice stand with it. No stand this time. But you get much better gimmicks, extra missiles (these did not appear in the anime though) ad poseable pilots which have amazing detail. (best I have seen so far) Everything seems well-proportioned too. Fatter looking head and larger gunpod are the most striking differences) Delicate pieces like canards are also designed to slide off instead of cracking for some damage resistance. Ankles still use balljoints so don't expect perfect friction over long time. This is probably the best reason to get stand for this toy imo. You can do very cool looking GERWALK poses with a stand that you won't be able to do if you have to have its feet flat on the surface of your shelf.

Compared to old yamato yf-19, this is way better. Especially if you are going to handle it because of the locked chest. It is the difference between having something that feels rushed to market vs a toy that crossed its T's and dotted its i's.

What are some improvements they could do?

-give us stand for it like the sv-51
-work on better joint system for the ankles
-tampo printing please. More of it is better than stickers/decals.
-detents for wings like the old yamato 1/48 VF-1. We shouldn't have to line it all up.
-improve the way FAST packs attach. We want magnets.
-fixed pose hands. Although there is nothing wrong with the perfect transformable ones, people think bigger ones are better at gripping gunpods and look cooler for battroid mode.

Apart from those, the toy is fine and I can recommend this to any collector of robot show figures and sci-fi mecha enthusiasts who just like the robots in the shows and the engineering of the machines in them. There is speculation that a cheaper re-release of this will come (less accessories included) and they do repaints so if you could not obtain one yet wait for those. (there aren't that many shows left for them to do - I think they will milk the mold unlike VF-4 which is not a popular mech in terms of how many can easily recognise it from tv shows. YF-19 on the hand is a hero-used mecha)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

HLJ reviews the arcadia yf-19:
starts @ 7:25

god look at all that gundam nonsense going on in the background. Such disrespect for macross which is the superior robbot show.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

In this thread GameHED talks to himself for the month of April.