Internet Filter.

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Well...people did vote for krudd.

If I was starving hungry and only had the choice of two chocolate bars and one was called "Old and Bitter" and the other was called "The Taste of Shit" then I think I'd take Old and Bitter every time.

Because sometimes books, chocolate bars and politicians are best judged by their covers...or wrappers....or their name.
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Oh, don't you worry, Howard/Costello would have gone ahead with it, but under the guise of 'stopping copyright infringement' - anyone else hear about iiNet getting sued by the Australian Copyright Nazis for allowing P2P traffic on their network? It's a 2 pronged attack on our Internets freedoms, kids.
Remember, this idea was being debated 18 months ago by a bipartisan committee with business representation as well - the money behind both parties want this to go ahead, let alone the more devious thinking politicians who want to control information. And it's a loaded debate: if you just come out and oppose it without mounting an intelligent and well thought out debate the simpletons and 'DOOOOOOO-GOODERS' simply brand you as a kiddy fiddler: 'oh you don't want it? Why, got something to hide?' (I have heard that argument used)
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Speaking of losing freedoms, how about nightclubs and pubs taking photos of you and your license? Or the place in perth that also takes a fingerprint?

http://www.theage.com.au/national/night" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ml?page=-1
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Texas wrote:Oh, don't you worry, Howard/Costello would have gone ahead with it, but under the guise of 'stopping copyright infringement'
Yes...but the thing is it's happening now under this particular government. Howard was in for a long time and it didn't come about. It might have but we'll never really know. Had it been something Howard wanted, it'd be done. No fucking around.

But I was thinking about this and really, it's bound to happen on a larger scale in the future. America is an extremely conservative country. With all of their censorship it's hard to imagine that the internets will always remain as open as it is.

But I consider the internet to be a reflection of the world. And in that there's a huge monologue about how parents should protect a child from the world and guide them into it...and how the internet is the same thing. And ignorance is no excuse. And again, to protect a mindless few the majority must suffer. And where does censorship stop.

And so on and so forth.

But the fact remains that it is with this government that we face this issue today. And for that reason they must take the criticism.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

I'm absolutely staggered at the range and variety of people who fell for Rudd's spin. Invariably they are people who feign disinterest when you press them.

He's a populist self serving wanker. What he wants is to be in the UN. He's played all his cards for the bleeding hearts. Sorry to aboriginal people (what he did to them, I don't know, but he felt mighty sorry about it) climate change legislation (A minor contributor like Australia cutting emissions to set an example? Absolutely laughable. Our economy openly wept when Rudd announced his plans. Meanwhile, the liberal party's efforts to remove households from the grid via solar panel subsidies has been scrapped!) and now the internet filter. Combine that with the fact he spouts meaningless political 'newspeak' at a rate of knots (working families) and I'm looking at the worst thing to happen to Australia in years.

I don't advocate loyal, party fanboyism... but use your eyes, your brain. Rudd was and is a dud!

And if Vzzzbx hates voting so much, I implore him to stop!
-------------------------------------
Blotto
Man Fairy
XBL ID: Blotto Otto
PSN ID: Blotts
Steam ID: Blotto_Otto

Post by Blotto »

Cletus wrote:
Texas wrote:Oh, don't you worry, Howard/Costello would have gone ahead with it, but under the guise of 'stopping copyright infringement'
Yes...but the thing is it's happening now under this particular government. Howard was in for a long time and it didn't come about. It might have but we'll never really know. Had it been something Howard wanted, it'd be done. No fucking around.
exactly.. if it was high on the agenda it would have happened.... It wasnt, therefor It didnt so nice try Tex trying to put this shit back on Liberal....
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

He's going for the two pronged attack:

1. Slow the internet down and censor our browsing like China

2. Slow the economy down even faster with a completely pointless ETS to combat the equally mythical man made climate change and make the internet therefore look fast again.

We are fucked.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I've gone from Labor to Liberal. I'll stay with them until it no longer suits me. But I will admit that I make it a rule to only vote for one or the other. I wouldn't vote for the Greens at gunpoint. Nor any other party. But you're so right. It amazes me that people still have the gall to defend Rudd even at this early stage. Aren't people aware that you can change teams. No pun intended here but I found going from someone who grew up in a Labor family and jumping to Liberal a few years ago to be truly liberating.

I didn't like Hawke toward the end. He was a cliché.

I liked Keating. (I liked him for the same reasons I liked Kennett. Who doesn't love an arrogant bastard?)

I liked Howard half way through. Labor actually did that. They wanted me to vote for Latham with a nod towards Beasley. That killed them off in my mind and made Johnny Howard look more like a Prime Minister than he had previously. I liked John Howard because of the alternatives. Which I guess says more about our available choices than the man or his policy. Favouring him because of the alternatives didn't change for me when Labor presented Rudd.

Rudd - I do not like this weasely showboat cunt at all. I find the vague attempts at defending him even more distasteful. Something in this man makes me feel hateful toward him, which I'll freely post at this moment because I can.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Cletus wrote:Yes...but the thing is it's happening now under this particular government. Howard was in for a long time and it didn't come about.
Let's see... Howard was elected in 1996 and was kicked out 11 years later in 2007.
Of those 11 years reign, only two or three were in a time period where the internet was actually of any serious importance to the world. Your argument is spurious at best - if John Howard were elected in to power for the first time last year, you can bet he'd be trying to implement the same sort of thing. I doubt Turnbull will reverse the decision if he gets elected next election, either.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

I've been vindicated.
Texas
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Blotto wrote:
Cletus wrote:
exactly.. if it was high on the agenda it would have happened.... It wasnt, therefor It didnt so nice try Tex trying to put this shit back on Liberal....
I'm actually not spinning it Blotts... however I can't reveal how I know that the Libs were looking at this IN CONCERT WITH Labor for a few years, but I know (for those of you who know what I do for a living this will make sense.) And as Unfunk said the Internet/piracy dual issues only really came to the fore in the last few years.
This was going to happen NO MATTER who got in.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

ABC1 is currently running a documentary series called The Howard Years. Although trying to be objective, it provides a very good insight into just how revolting a prime minister Howard was.

Yes this internet filter is egregious and shit, but no way is it anywhere near as bad as most of the crap Howard pulled while he was running the country. But some of you are so dyed-in-the-wool Liberal loyal that you'll ignore this post, just as you ignored everything Howard did.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

Cletus wrote: Rudd - I do not like this weasely showboat cunt at all. I find the vague attempts at defending him even more distasteful. Something in this man makes me feel hateful toward him, which I'll freely post at this moment because I can.
You see, that's how many of us felt about Howard x 1000000
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

This was going to happen NO MATTER who got in.
But if we all do stuff to not make it happen, maybe it won't happen? We don't need it. It's not going to solve anything. Everyone should exercise their rights. If it happens they'll do it to other countries too because we are the guinea pigs. Our reactions will determine what others will have to suffer with in other places and in later generations.

I just want my game R Rating, (which we shouldn't stop demanding - we can convince them it's safer with one there) my internet untouched, and the flying car which was promised was supposed to happen after 2000AD.

The cars are coming eventually.
Now society needs to advance into other things. Stop acting like games and the internet is evil and bad and needs to be filtered. Previous generations fought hard for freedom and now the leaders of today want to take that from you. Government should serve the people. Remind these commies constantly. We can deny them anything they need from us by uniting against them because we outnumber them and can boycott any companies that filter content to drive them out of business. When there is no money to be made and the government can't tax something they will lose power. That's all it takes. Once they lose control, see how serious people are about this, (maybe everyone must refuse to do any business activity on the net at all - for example most of my buys are still offline at bricks and mortar retailers instead of online) then they'll get the message.

Whatever leverage people have, use it. Just because you might do something that is considered illegal by leaders of today, doesn't mean its morally wrong to continue doing it. If they filter the net the next thing they'll attempt to do is filter your speech and what you can say with your mouth and think they are justified in fining you just for individual words. Not an exaggeration. Everyone should take it very seriously. Without us they have nothing. If people want to save their kids from bad content they can get a filter easily and have someone do it. Just like with the fluoride thing where kids who never brush their teeth because their parents don't discipline them, can opt to get the fluoride tablets and not mass medicate the population with it and make those who don't want it, have to take it.

In the end what it all comes down to is money because they are greedy: destroy their source of money, force them out of business, tell others not to do business with them that are pushing for more control over what you can view, and slowly take control. Name the ones you think are going to profit the most from having it put in, and take away their reputation which will hurt their sales. All the money to bribe officials is coming from you. Just as people boycott some cosmetics due to cruel testing on animals, think of us as the animal that needs its rights protected and simply refuse to co-operate.
Last edited by GameHED on 25 Nov 2008 09:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

yeah, let's not fight about who is putting it in... it's the fact that it is going in. Let's get angry about that.
Blotto
Man Fairy

Post by Blotto »

Vzzzbx wrote:
Yes this internet filter is egregious and shit, but no way is it anywhere near as bad as most of the crap Howard pulled while he was running the country.
and that crap was????

The country was running fucking great guns til the fucktard you voted for got in....

and look where we are now.... :down:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

http://austereo.castmetrix.net/podcast/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... orship.mp3

It's going to ban anything they think is inappropriate which is why I'm against it.

I still want all the kiddies to be protected by by their parents not the government who is not the parent. Government: Stop acting like you know better than me when I know better than you. It's a real infowar. The debate is going to keep going on until you can be better educated. Everyone knows your arguments are weak, it's a power grab, and a form of population mind control. Don't try to paint it any other way. Once we allowed you to get your foot in the door you will try to open it further and ban everything. The fact that you want to make it so adults can't opt out of the filter is evidence you are not caring about the kiddies, but want to have blanket ban to everyone.

The debate should be why you are thinking of such a thing and not whether it should be brought in! (it can't be because you want to protect kiddies because adults who want to see sites that are legit which got on the blacklist won't be able to see them) So why are you destroying the country? What is going on behind the public's back that is causing them to transform it into something evil that we were fighting against in previous generations? Don't you care about the rights of your own people anymore?
Last edited by GameHED on 25 Nov 2008 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mightycooper
The Sorrow

Post by Mightycooper »

Im a liberal voter and agree with blotts and other liberal voters here (not that i know much about politics) but 1 thing Howard did wrong was the gun buy back, he stopped my chance of having a semi auto :(
Theres a technique for everything
Blotto
Man Fairy

Post by Blotto »

Mightycooper wrote:Im a liberal voter and agree with blotts and other liberal voters here (not that i know much about politics) but 1 thing Howard did wrong was the gun buy back, he stopped my chance of having a semi auto :(
THANK FUCKING CHRIST FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

I'm calling this now.

The internet filter will either:

A. Not go ahead
B. Will go ahead, but liberal will use its removal as the basis for re-election at the soonest possible juncture

There is just too much hate out there for this policy. From telcos to small and big business to the average person... its removal is just too greater vote winner for it to be any kind of permanent (I hope).

The only other countries that have this kind of internet filter are China and Saudi Arabia. Yay.
-------------------------------------
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Blotto wrote:
Vzzzbx wrote:
Yes this internet filter is egregious and shit, but no way is it anywhere near as bad as most of the crap Howard pulled while he was running the country.
and that crap was????

The country was running fucking great guns til the fucktard you voted for got in....

and look where we are now.... :down:
Ahahaha haha hahah ahaha aaahhh oooohhhh......

This disaster has been years in the making and presided over by the axis of evil (Pres' Bush, Pres' Blairs and Dict' Howard).

However you are half right. Rudd has no fucking balls and has blown his chance to dig us out of trouble by blowing his wadd before we even got into trouble.

To sum up we are fucked and have been fucked for a while and will be even more fucked in the future. Investing in lube seems like a valid stategy about now.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

General Chaos wrote: Investing in lube seems like a valid stategy about now.
ohhhh....there's something wrong with you.

Being in the same company as China and Saudi Arabia is not something I want.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Mightycooper wrote:1 thing Howard did wrong was the gun buy back, he stopped my chance of having a semi auto :(
Interesting you should mention that, because the firearm buy-back was about as effective as this internet filter will be.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

you reckon?
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

isn't it harder to get firearms now than before 97?