Amusing/Retarded/Are you f**king serios?!1! news stories...

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

wtf

that is ridiculous.

glad my council isn't that ridiculous, our second storey extension wouldn't have been approved at all (I live next to a school).
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

stanard wrote:http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 52,00.html
The height of a proposed high-rise development has been slashed because parents fear pedophiles will be able to spy on children from the top storeys.

New developments bordering the school will be limited to five storeys instead of the eight originally proposed following concerns that "highrise buildings will provide opportunity for residents to observe, photograph and film children".
:lol:
fucken hell. Won't be long until a single male purchasing a flat needs to have a police check.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html
DISCRIMINATION against dominant white males will soon be encouraged in a bid to boost the status of women, the disabled and cultural and religious minorities.

Such positive discrimination -- treating people differently in order to obtain equality for marginalised groups - is set to be legalised under planned changes to the Equal Opportunity Act foreshadowed last week by state Attorney-General Rob Hulls.
Are we losing the plot entirely now? The air-headed PC crew now openly sets their sights on 'dominant, white males'. I cannot explain how angry this makes me.

What is the point of this 'equality' if it is forced? Stories like this that fly under the radar are the most sinister of all, forget about your global warming, I'm sorry climate change.

In a world where a black man has become president of the USA ( you know the slavery, human rights, lynch mobs, horrible things done to black people-USA) these hypocrites STILL talk of equality.

I honestly despair at times.

edit: No fuck it, I've got more to say about this.

How can these people not see that this will create MORE racism in this country? Even if these laws are knoced back/not enforced ignorant people will have their racist views confirmed, they aren't as valuable as a black man, an Arabic man or a Chinese woman in a wheelchair?

And you wanna know the thing that REALLY makes me really fucken upset about this? As men we are expected to 'take it like a man'. With all the work that has been done to get rid of the streotypical male we are told 'don't complain, you'll be right, take it like a man'

And people wonder why there are so many more men commiting suicide in our 'modern Western society'.

What a sick joke.
Last edited by BruceCamblzChin on 13 Dec 2008 05:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

BruceCamblzChin wrote: Are people saying that in all cases where we have someone who, according to the news (yeah I know), is not in his right mind and threatening people, even if its a 15 year old kid, with a knife who is apparently off his face/not able to control himself surrounded by 4? coppers, the best option is always to shoot him dead?

What if it turns out this was the first time the kid had done any drugs, that his mates pressured him to do it?
What does age or gender have to do with it? If it was a 23 year old woman, should she be treated differently? What about a 32 year old man?

I understand you feel for the 15 year old shot, but have you any thoughts for the police, or members of the public? The issue here is the safety of the public and the innocent. Would you rather have a person shot dead in an attempt to stab a police officer, or would you rather a police officer dead because the taser missed? Or perhaps three innocent civilians dead twenty minutes later because the 15-year old got away? Or perhaps a civilian dead because the police officer tried to aim for the 15-year old's hand, and missed? Or the bullet went through the hand and continued until it hit another person?
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

I do have thoghts for those people Seraph, I just feel that this situation could have had a better ending if the coppers had more options (by more options I mean non-lethal weapons like the ones mentioned by Tex or tasers).

The coppers would perhaps not be suffering now if they had another option for example. I know they've got the worst job in the world, I couldn't do it, but the step from capsicum spray to handgun seems like a big one.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Perhaps you should read up on less-lethal weaponry. It's called less-lethal rather than non-lethal for a reason - these weapons can kill, and have done so on numerous occasions.

Tasers can kill, depending on who they hit, and where. Bean bag bullets can kill depending on where they hit, and the fluidity of the ammunition and the lower speed at which they're fired (and the fact that they're fired out of shotguns) all ahve an effect on the accuracy of the weapon. The logical solution is to get closer to improve accuracy, but there's two problems with that. Firstly, getting closer means putting yourself in more danger (you're closer to their knife or weapon, and advancing can aggravate the attacker) and secondly, less-lethal weapons become more likely to kill when closer to the target.

Unfortunately, life isn't always going to give you happy endings. Especially when the story starts with "Once upon a time, a boy grabbed some knives and tried to kill some people."
mech

Post by mech »

It is quite amazing how people are trying to spin this.

And as Seraph said, it doesn't matter what precautions you take or what "non-lethal" weapons you use, people can still die.

Personally I find it incredibly hard to find any sympathy for the guy. He was threatening cops with knives and took two capsicum sprays to the face and kept going (and threatening the cops). As others have said, I have no love for cops, but were I in the same situation I'd be freaking out and have my gun at the ready. I think people are being way too harsh to the cops here (and I REALLY don't like cops most of the time).
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

'sif you don't quit after one capsicum spray to the face anyway!
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

All good points gents, thankyou. I'll say again I have no ill will towards the coppers here, they did what they were trained to do in the situation.

Any thorts on this 'positive discrimination'.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

Not that we know exactly what the cops said in this case, but maybe if they had been trained in hostage negotiation or similar then this situation might have turned out differently. Obviously the kid had mental problems so it's not like a cop trained in this regard would not have been able to pick up on.

But then again it was in Melbourne and Victoria Police have been notably corrupt and/or incompetent for the past few decades at least. So maybe expecting them to be competently trained enough to pick up on when someone is deliberately trying to get shot is asking a bit too much.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

I've been noticing this sort of thing for years. Its strange to have it written down and displayed so blatantly.

These days people that seek equality seem to have forgotten what that actually means and instead seek to turn it in their favour.

I can see things getting worse for men in the future. You just have to look at how its perfectly alright to say he's just a man, yet you'd get the boot pretty bloody quickly for saying she's just a woman.

I'm all for equality just as long as that means we're all equal and not diminished versions of our former selves.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

It's a fucking disgrace but I have a plan. If I ever need to apply for a job, I'll be stating I'm a Torres Straight Islander with aids and a severe behavioural disorder.

Guaranteed job.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'm not entirely sure if this is serious or not, or what my reaction is to it just yet:

[quote="ABC News"'Responsible P-platers will be rewarded with gifts and an acknowledgment letter from police under a new program to recognise good driving.

From today Holden Hill Police will be on the look-out for P-platers who display courteous driving and obey the road rules.

The selected drivers will be sent a letter acknowledging their exemplary driving behaviour and be nominated for a reward donated by local businesses.

The campaign will run until the end of March.[/quote]

Thoughts?

I think it's interesting that a positive reinforcement model is being trialled, but I wonder just how effective it will be. People tend to notice bad things more than good, so it's going to be tough for the coppers to call this one.

Edit: ffs
Last edited by unfnknblvbl on 15 Dec 2008 03:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
mech

Post by mech »

unfnknblvbl wrote:I'm not entirely sure if this is serious or not, or what my reaction is to it just yet:

[url=Responsible P-platers will be rewarded with gifts and an acknowledgment letter from police under a new program to recognise good driving.

From today Holden Hill Police will be on the look-out for P-platers who display courteous driving and obey the road rules.

The selected drivers will be sent a letter acknowledging their exemplary driving behaviour and be nominated for a reward donated by local businesses.

The campaign will run until the end of March.][/url]

Thoughts?

I think it's interesting that a positive reinforcement model is being trialled, but I wonder just how effective it will be. People tend to notice bad things more than good, so it's going to be tough for the coppers to call this one.
Thoughts? You can't use BBCode? :D
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

can't hurt. And your right unfunk people generally don't tell people when they are doing the right thing but it is so important to KNOW that you are doing the right thing.

So many kids/classes that I have seen who act up but are never actually told when they are doing well and sometimes they genuinley dont know what a good classroom looks like coz no ones ever said 'Hey good job today, thats what good behaviour looks like!'

Its seems to work on 13 year old boys so it should work on P-platers to some extent.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

I've never lost a point or got a parking ticket, where's my freebie???
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

lol, where are they posting them??
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

Sleep Emailing

I wonder if some people here could be posting while they are asleep. Could explain a few things.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Vodafone under fire for refusing to sell handset to housewife

I think the policy is fine and they should just get back in the kitchen.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 447263.htm

:lol:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

GreyWizzard wrote:Vodafone under fire for refusing to sell handset to housewife

Holy fuck.. I wouldn't be able to provide a work phone number either, ffs.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Money well spent K Rudd you fucken useless prick.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

unfnknblvbl wrote:
GreyWizzard wrote:Vodafone under fire for refusing to sell handset to housewife

Holy fuck.. I wouldn't be able to provide a work phone number either, ffs.
I dont get the big deal here at all. This policy would no doubt apply to ALL people who want one , male or female, who cant provide a work number. Banks do this when people cant provide a stable source of income for a loan...whats the big deal?

lol also...Whats the best way to make sure everyone knows and that you didnt get a phone? Tell the ABC. They'll get right on it. A great big FUCK YOU to the ABGreens, I mean ABC.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Vodaphone provide prepaid stuff anyway, so it's all good.