View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Oct 2017 06:11 pm



Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Amusing/Retarded/Are you f**king serios?!1! news stories... 
Author Message
Online
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
User avatar

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 09:12 pm
Posts: 3482
Gamertag: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate
Mii: xxGuttermouthxx
Traffic lights are sexist.....So here in Victoria the liitle green man at pedestrian crossings are going to be evenly replaced with a little green woman


07 Mar 2017 12:46 pm
Profile
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:51 am
Posts: 18064
Location: Brisbane
Gamertag: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya
That's a bit gender binary isn't it? Tsk tsk tsk.


07 Mar 2017 06:08 pm
Profile
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
User avatar

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 01:08 am
Posts: 3208
Obviously it should be a man in a dress, or a woman in trousers.

_________________
-------------------------------------


07 Mar 2017 06:10 pm
Profile
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
User avatar

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 01:08 am
Posts: 3208
But seriously, Melbourne is fucked.

_________________
-------------------------------------


07 Mar 2017 06:11 pm
Profile
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:51 am
Posts: 18064
Location: Brisbane
Gamertag: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya
Melbourne IS fucked.


07 Mar 2017 06:12 pm
Profile
Makes poor choices in hats

Joined: 07 Jul 2006 10:04 pm
Posts: 2683
Gamertag: Hercy
So what's your argument in favour of having all pedestrian lights depicting a male silhouette? Note that arguments that the existing symbol is gender neutral is invalid given that the most popular name for it is a "little green man".


07 Mar 2017 06:57 pm
Profile
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 12:56 am
Posts: 15091
I like how you blokes think this won't spread to every pedestrian crossing across the nation.

Melbourne is fucked. But only because the winters have become unbearable.


07 Mar 2017 07:30 pm
Profile WWW
Elite Ginger
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 08:41 am
Posts: 19066
So Melbourne can't have a train that goes directly to the airport, it can't have an East-West Link...but it can have female silhouettes at pedestrian crossings.

Yep - fucked.


07 Mar 2017 08:13 pm
Profile
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:51 am
Posts: 18064
Location: Brisbane
Gamertag: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya
Hercy wrote:
So what's your argument in favour of having all pedestrian lights depicting a male silhouette? Note that arguments that the existing symbol is gender neutral is invalid given that the most popular name for it is a "little green man".


Well the green little man is as gender neutral as they come. No hair, no clothes, just the human silhouette without any features whatsoever. The reality is I don't really care about what gender the bloody light that helps get people across the street safely is. The thing that is so Melbourne is that they do care. Caring about inconsequential, tokenistic bullshit is so Melbourne.


07 Mar 2017 09:48 pm
Profile
Makes poor choices in hats

Joined: 07 Jul 2006 10:04 pm
Posts: 2683
Gamertag: Hercy
Madmya wrote:
Well the green little man is as gender neutral as they come. No hair, no clothes, just the human silhouette without any features whatsoever.


And yet everyone assumes that it's a man. That's the point - that in the absence of obvious gender characteristics, society will assume that something is male.

Madmya wrote:
The reality is I don't really care about what gender the bloody light that helps get people across the street safely is.


Clearly you do, considering that Melbourne "is fucked" for suggesting that the green man is not a man.

Madmya wrote:
The thing that is so Melbourne is that they do care. Caring about inconsequential, tokenistic bullshit is so Melbourne.


"This is an inconsequential topic", says person posting in a video games forum.


07 Mar 2017 11:49 pm
Profile
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:51 am
Posts: 18064
Location: Brisbane
Gamertag: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya
Hercy wrote:
Madmya wrote:
Well the green little man is as gender neutral as they come. No hair, no clothes, just the human silhouette without any features whatsoever.


And yet everyone assumes that it's a man. That's the point - that in the absence of obvious gender characteristics, society will assume that something is male.


Are you concerned about the Male Gaze of a blinking light?

Hercy wrote:
Madmya wrote:
The reality is I don't really care about what gender the bloody light that helps get people across the street safely is.


Clearly you do, considering that Melbourne "is fucked" for suggesting that the green man is not a man.


I wouldn't make that assertion based solely on the introduction of gender to a blinking light.

Hercy wrote:
Madmya wrote:
The thing that is so Melbourne is that they do care. Caring about inconsequential, tokenistic bullshit is so Melbourne.


"This is an inconsequential topic", says person posting in a video games forum.


"This will have profound consequences to all women who have perceived issues related to gender", says person posting in a video games forum.


08 Mar 2017 12:31 am
Profile
Cheats
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:09 am
Posts: 18604
Location: 4215
Gamertag: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Mii: GenerationX_2k
Steam ID: Gen X
“Melbourne is fucked" says person posting in a video games forum.

_________________
Image

selfish wrote:
Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.


Currently playing: Yakuza 0


08 Mar 2017 05:50 am
Profile WWW
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:51 am
Posts: 18064
Location: Brisbane
Gamertag: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya
"Fuck off summer", says a person on a video games forum.


08 Mar 2017 08:19 am
Profile
The End

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 09:23 am
Posts: 6183
Location: Melbourne
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
Melbourne might like to claim credit for the idea but female gendered pedestrian signals is something that's been successfully rolled out in other countries prior to it triggering Australian men to bemoan how little they care about what gender pedestrian signals depict.


08 Mar 2017 09:19 am
Profile
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:51 am
Posts: 18064
Location: Brisbane
Gamertag: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya
Pep logic: ridiculing an idea is the same as being triggered.


08 Mar 2017 09:37 am
Profile
Online
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
User avatar

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 09:12 pm
Posts: 3482
Gamertag: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate
Mii: xxGuttermouthxx
The issue and stupidity on this is about the cost of changing current lights when the money can be better spent on actual real issues. Yeah do it when installing new lights, changing current one won't offer jack.

Today feminist(3rd wave) are morally corrupt, stupid things like this which which are so fucken trival trigger them, yet are happy to stand by the oppresses and yet not defend the oppressed....


08 Mar 2017 10:05 am
Profile
Makes poor choices in hats

Joined: 07 Jul 2006 10:04 pm
Posts: 2683
Gamertag: Hercy
Sydney spends tens of millions of dollars on New Years fireworks and noone cares.

Millions of dollars worth of food is grown, transported, and then thrown away without being eaten and noone cares.

$8000 is spent on some traffic lights and suddenly the waste is so egregious that people are up in arms, and imagine what could have been done with that money.


08 Mar 2017 10:50 am
Profile
The End

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 09:23 am
Posts: 6183
Location: Melbourne
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
Madmya wrote:
Pep logic: ridiculing an idea is the same as being triggered.


'I'm so sick of SJWs shoving their PC down my throat, telling me what to think, how to talk, forcing SSM upon me, wah, wah.'

*Installs female gendered traffic lights as a gesture against unconcious gender bias*

'OMG who cares what gender they are, how is this reducing my electricity bills, feminazis, wah, wah.'

Triggered.


08 Mar 2017 10:55 am
Profile
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:51 am
Posts: 18064
Location: Brisbane
Gamertag: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya
Well I won't let facts get in the way of your cool story champ.


08 Mar 2017 11:47 am
Profile
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
User avatar

Joined: 11 Jul 2006 09:50 am
Posts: 2856
Gamertag: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit
So hangon … a generic figure with an absence of obvious gender characteristics serving an entirely gender-neutral purpose is perceived as a man by society because of unconscious gender bias, so the solution is to make gender-specific alternatives and even give them stereotypically gender-normative skirts, thus reinforcing the original bias as being correct in the first place. Win.


08 Mar 2017 12:55 pm
Profile
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:51 am
Posts: 18064
Location: Brisbane
Gamertag: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya
Triggered.

/Pep logic


08 Mar 2017 01:19 pm
Profile
The End

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 09:23 am
Posts: 6183
Location: Melbourne
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
Twit wrote:
So hangon … a generic figure with an absence of obvious gender characteristics serving an entirely gender-neutral purpose is perceived as a man by society because of unconscious gender bias, so the solution is to make gender-specific alternatives and even give them stereotypically gender-normative skirts, thus reinforcing the original bias as being correct in the first place. Win.


Given pedestrian sign figures, toilet door figures or similar are silhouettes with a colour palette of one I reckon we can excuse the use of skirts as the most obvious visual distinction between genders. Nothing stopping people from thinking of them as men in drag if they like. Or that the conventional short hair, long trousers figure is Penny Wong.


08 Mar 2017 02:57 pm
Profile
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
User avatar

Joined: 11 Jul 2006 09:50 am
Posts: 2856
Gamertag: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit
Right, but basically what you're saying is that any remotely humanoid looking figure should be considered male unless it's wearing a skirt. This sign isn't meant to be gendered - it's meant to tell humans whether to walk across the road or not. Changing it to a gendered version does nothing to address unconscious bias, and in fact reinforces it.

Shouldn't we instead try to make it look even less gender specific? How about just making it look like a comedy android with a big round head or something? I'm not against spending some money to make people happier if they feel the current one looks too much like a man, but at least try to make the thing you do sensible.


08 Mar 2017 04:13 pm
Profile
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 12:56 am
Posts: 15091
I expect Muslims won't be crossing the road when they're basically given permission to do so by the form of a woman. Seems a bit insensitive.

I also wondered how a bull dyke non dress wearing lesbian will like being told that women are defined by wearing a dress.

This is going to trigger so many people. It's fucking glorious.


08 Mar 2017 04:52 pm
Profile WWW
Online
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
User avatar

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 09:12 pm
Posts: 3482
Gamertag: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate
Mii: xxGuttermouthxx
Apparently the generic figure used in signs is a white, straight male. Its needs to be changed, there needs to be more diversity in signs.....


08 Mar 2017 04:59 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.