Amusing/Retarded/Are you f**king serios?!1! news stories...

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24 ... 43,00.html

Coppers in melb shot dead a 15 year old boy with a knife. Lots of questions here, the most pertinent being "Why the fuck arent our coppers allowed to use tasers?"
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

BruceCamblzChin wrote:http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24 ... 43,00.html

Coppers in melb shot dead a 15 year old boy with a knife. Lots of questions here, the most pertinent being "Why the fuck arent our coppers allowed to use tasers?"
When you are on ice... tasers tickle...
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

because tasers can be just as lethal as guns. You can control to some extent whether you fire a lethal shot or not, but 50,000 volts is 50,000 volts. If you have a weak constitution, you're fucked.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

yeah but a chance of living is better right?
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Tyler Cassidy was killed at a shopping centre in Melbourne's northern suburb of Northcote after police unsuccessfully tried to calm him, then sprayed him with capsicum spray and fired a warning shot.

Tyler, who was armed with knives, shouted "kill me, I'm going to kill you" to four officers before he was gunned down, police said this morning.
:lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

But if the cops here used tasers, then the worst case scenario is that the guy would have died. Which he did anyway. And the much more likely outcome is that he would still be alive.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

BruceCamblzChin wrote:yeah but a chance of living is better right?
I could be just mindlessly quoting statistics here, but I heard somewhere that you're just as likely to die from a taser shot as you are a pistol shot.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:
Tyler Cassidy was killed at a shopping centre in Melbourne's northern suburb of Northcote after police unsuccessfully tried to calm him, then sprayed him with capsicum spray and fired a warning shot.

Tyler, who was armed with knives, shouted "kill me, I'm going to kill you" to four officers before he was gunned down, police said this morning.
Yeah I have little sympathy for the kid but those cops are going to go through hell now just for doing their job.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Megaman wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:

Yeah I have little sympathy for the kid but those cops are going to go through hell now just for doing their job.
Yes, sympathy for the cops, none for the retard.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Yeah but its not good that he died right? I mean the kid was only 15 its not like he could have been a hardened fucken smackhead here. Obviously the coppers did what they had to do but shit 15 years old?

I would rather be shot by a taser than by a gun and I will leave it at that.

edit: also this thread is showing some promise...
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

15 year old gets shot by police in australia, no one gives a fuck. 15 year old gets shot by police in greece, 5 days of rioting.
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

How close do you have to be to get off a taser shot?

If I had a knife weilding crack head bearing down on me - the whites of their eyes is good enough. Stuff having to wait until he's close enough to smell what brand of liquor he was quaffing.
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Accurate range is a lot lower, and you only get 1 shot with a taser.

I'm more in favour of Beanbag or Squid guns in situations where the perp doesn't have a gun - shotguns that shoot small beanbags or round projectiles that look like little squids. Fill a Bitch with 8 of them, and keep shooting the fucker in the centre mass until they have gone down.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

It absolutely baffles me all the people getting angry at the cops in this situation and trying to downplay what the kid was up to. What a rough situation for the coppers to be in.
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

GreyWizzard wrote:15 year old gets shot by police in australia, no one gives a fuck. 15 year old gets shot by police in greece, 5 days of rioting.
No one gives a fuck? WTF? We're talking about it aren't we? What, should we go out and trash the city to prove we care? Sorry Grey but I just find that comment to be stupid.

And on the cops, I agree with mech. I was in the car a lot today so I listened to a lot of AM radio (mainly ABC) and some of the crap that was said about the cops really annoyed me.
mech

Post by mech »

yay let's have 6 days of rioting because some kid in a gang attacked the cops and the cops accidentally killed him, that sounds reasonable. stupid cops.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

BruceCamblzChin wrote:Yeah but its not good that he died right? I mean the kid was only 15 its not like he could have been a hardened fucken smackhead here. Obviously the coppers did what they had to do but shit 15 years old?
I'd be comfortable saying my Xbox360 was faulty from the day I bought it. I didn't know it at the time but after a while it just broke. Thankfully M$ was able to do a bandaid repair job on it and it ran fine from there on. Sure I sent it back just before Halo3 was released because I knew they were replacing the parts that were causing the RROD by that stage. I'm glad that the fault wasn't of the nature that while I was sleeping, it spontaneously combusted and burned down my house while I slept. I'm glad for that.

The cops were right to shoot him. Blame drugs or whatever else, but some people are faulty. And in just about every other species on the planet, the faulty are really just walking around with a use-by date clearly printed on them.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

mech wrote:It absolutely baffles me all the people getting angry at the cops in this situation and trying to downplay what the kid was up to. What a rough situation for the coppers to be in.
I'm not angry at the coppers, they dealt with it as best they could, unfortunately the result is a dead boy. Yes he may well have been damaged goods but I wish the coppers had a few more non-lethal options so that the kid had a second chance that is all, geez louise.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Less-lethal weaponry can be good in certain situations, but it's entirely that - situational. Tasers are harder to aim, have to be used when closer to the assailant, and as pointed out earlier, a one-shot proposition. If you miss with that one shot, you are close to a guy with two knives and you're now looking for something else to protect yourself with.

Beanbag guns and squid guns can be good but in most cases the only ones that can take a person down temporarily in one or two shots are the shotgun rounds. Otherwise you could be looking at 4 or 5 shots in order to take down an angry assailant, and not every situation will have 4 cops vs. one kid. Sometimes it's one or two cops vs. a guy with a gun just as good as the ones the cops are packing.

It's also about the amount of weaponry each police officer needs to be carrying on his person. They're already carrying radios/phones, cuffs, batons, pepper spray, a gun, and spare ammo. Asking them to carry a second gun with less-lethal rounds in it is asking a bit much, IMO.

Ultimately, in a case like this, when someone clearly not normal is brandishing weapons and intent on hurting other people, I think the police have no choice but to do what they did. Police officers have a pretty sucky job when it comes to these situations, and I for one am not about to ask them to put themselves, or the public, in any more danger than they're already in when it comes to taking down any unhinged lunatic that's trying to hurt or kill other people.

tl;dr - two shots to the chest is the safest procedure for the police and the public. They have more right to safety than someone trying to kill people.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

I am a little bit shocked at some responses here (that is the idea of the thread tho).

Are people saying that in all cases where we have someone who, according to the news (yeah I know), is not in his right mind and threatening people, even if its a 15 year old kid, with a knife who is apparently off his face/not able to control himself surrounded by 4? coppers, the best option is always to shoot him dead?

What if it turns out this was the first time the kid had done any drugs, that his mates pressured him to do it?
mech

Post by mech »

Have you guys seen the video where one crazy guy with a knife is surrounded by about 8 cops who are trying to take him peacefully?

He eventually stabs about 5 or 6 of them before they manage to take him down. It's quite disturbing to see. It's easy to say "oh well he was only 15 and there were 4 cops and he 'only' had two knives, they shouldn't have killed him" but I don't think you appreciate what the situation may have actually been like.

Apparently the kid was mental as before this... he has a "Southern Star Soldiers" myspace page when they basically race-bash and say how all immigrants should get out of Australia... It sounds like he was completely messed up.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

BruceCamblzChin wrote: What if it turns out this was the first time the kid had done any drugs, that his mates pressured him to do it?
Hundreds of millions of first time users don't do that. Never do that. I'd put it to you that even if it was his first time, then it might be better he was eliminated now. Imagine if he managed to get around concealing his insanity from police and acted out more violent leanings before eventually being processed.

The kid went nuts armed with knives and took on armed police. It's not normal by any stretch. It speaks of total disregard for the rules he'd damn well know he was supposed to adhere to if he wasn't completely shitsmearing insane. He was sprayed with capsicum spray twice. He didn't go down. He didn't disarm. And it would be true to say that most teenage boys have no idea of the value of life and generally have less regard for their own life than an adult would.

I have no love for the police. But I think they have done the only thing they could.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I find myself agreeing.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 52,00.html
The height of a proposed high-rise development has been slashed because parents fear pedophiles will be able to spy on children from the top storeys.

New developments bordering the school will be limited to five storeys instead of the eight originally proposed following concerns that "highrise buildings will provide opportunity for residents to observe, photograph and film children".
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

I agree the kid was clearly very messed up and I agree the coppers did what they are trained to do with the tools they have available but, I dunno, working at a boys high school I see boys who lose their way like this and with the help of solid male role models they come around with time.

And then to see more males ,who could very well have been in a similar situation given the right circumstances, just flippantly post things like 'retard' is worrying.

Dont misunderstand, I know its just a forum and I started this particular thread in order to get people talking and I think its acheived that.