A blast from the past

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Symbiote

Post by Symbiote »

Sorry chump but the idea ilce "ninja transferred" and then "deleted the forums" isn't an "opinion" and it is wrong. Sorry if I don't tolerate BS.
lexo

Post by lexo »

Who were your WoW characters in the guild?

I don't see why Glaser would take away officer access or ban people from the forums, I understand he was the site admin and provided the web space/bandwidth for the forums but I'm pretty sure Ilce still had admin access.

Ilce did hand over guild leadership, but it was to try and prevent what wound up happening anyway (the majority of the guild moving on and making their own). There was discussions going on at another forum (which still stands afaik) for weeks about what was to be done.

Glaser was approached who then went and told Ilce who, rather than dealing with the situation, passed leadership over to Glaser and they basically tried to brush it all under the carpet and play nice. Most people thought that it was for the best (myself included) to just let it all die down and see how things went.

It took about two-three weeks until Ilce had a meltdown mid raid over being told what to do (if memory serves it was about putting his gear on and contributing like everyone else) and yeah, basically raged out at the "raid leaders" before transferring his characters to another Aussie server.

I think someone managed to record the second half of the meltdown, I can see if I can hunt it down if you want..

The lack of Aussies on the server was more of a secondary issue to that of the dissemination of the Spinebreaker guild, and pretty far distant to that of the original PlayNOW! forums. I only remember the one American, maybe he was just the only one who talked on vent though. Plenty of wankers though.
Last edited by lexo on 13 Apr 2009 05:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

lexos account of events is wrong though. Unless he's talking about guild events (non GR related) post July 06.

Glaser became GM. Ilce quit the guild. Both of these happened well after the creation of GR in July 06 (and after I had quit WoW).

Edit: Yeah, after reading your latest post lexo, I think you're on a different wavelength to the rest of GR here. I suspect you're talking about PN WoW guild politics post-GR post-July 06, which most everyone here couldn't care less about.
lexo

Post by lexo »

They were in response to Lestat and Ilce's posts Twiz... Just giving my version of events which had already been brought up to an extent 8)
Symbiote

Post by Symbiote »

Twiztid were you Twizo or Guano? I can never remember.

Do you have the URL for their new guild? I'd love to take a look.
Ilce did hand over guild leadership, but it was to try and prevent what wound up happening anyway (the majority of the guild moving on and making their own).
Do you know how many raiding aussies were on SB at that point? About 30. Do you know how many raiders it takes to make a successful guild? 50+, since inevitably availabilties will clash.

Moving on was inevitable at that point. ilce recognised it. glaser recognised it. Everyone recognised a server transfer was coming. Every single Australian guild, horde and alliance, had closed shop or transferred server prior to this point except for PlayNOW. Frankly it was a miracle it kept going as long as it did.

Lexo who were you in WoW? I'm not sure you were in our guild, because Gormacil, our best mage, was American, and our main tank was also from the US. Those 2 took over running raids from Ilce and those were the 2 he was giving shit to. (I don't know who else you think he would have ranted at?) A number of their friends had also joined guild, and by the time they moved there were ~15 consistent aussies and ~5 consistent yanks.
Last edited by Symbiote on 13 Apr 2009 05:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lexo

Post by lexo »

I'll tell after you big man :)

I think that tank you're talking about is Orcguy but he's actually Kiwi.

Anyway, back to the GR related stuff, Twizo's right no one gives a shit about this stuff.

Edit - http://www.pnguild.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is their new site. Lots of the old people still play over there.
Last edited by lexo on 13 Apr 2009 06:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

lexo wrote::lol: the only person I know from the WoW guild who was actually there throughout the downfall of it all, or consistent member of the forums around the time Ilce blew them up who would actually blame it on anyone/anything besides Ilce, would be Ilce. Ilce?
Scrote. You missed scrote.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I was Twizo. Guano is alive and well and currently playing Eve after a long stint of Warhammer Online.

Playnow WoW guild are here. http://www.pnguild.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know who of the old brigade are still there. Pimi. Beerbelly aswell I think. Beerbelly is the man in the know. Maybe he'll pop in and give us the 411? Not sure on others? OrcGuy? Maybe Jugg? Jeheil?

When the GR/PN forum split occurred in July 06, the PN WoW guild on Spinebreaker was steaming along fine. Ilce was still GM, and we were working through BWL, moving into AQ40.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
lexo

Post by lexo »

Beerbelly wouldn't know anything about it, he wasn't playing at the time. Unless you mean on the GR side of things but all that stuff's pretty well documented in the classics forum I thought?

Jeheil, Talla, Siduction, Hapa, Orcguy, Pimi, Jugg, all sorts of people still play over there, though I think a couple of people might have changed names. You should go ask Talla what happened mate, she'll give you a pretty accurate account of it all and was at the centre of the final blow up :lol:
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Beerbelly played as Andoru.

I just checked their roster.
Names I recognise (in addition to the ones I already said): AngelicSky, OldnCrusty (CrustyNoob), Deathmucher, Paulie (top guy), Etrophy, Ghouly, Glaser, Hapakmala, Kirom, PdWarlock, Siduction (I know her in RL), Talla, Tanlash, Wormbait, Ziona, Frosty.

So there are still quite a number of folk there I played along side.

I did play a small stint prior to Lich King to test the water on going back for it. I did catch up with Talla. She did give me a brief rundown on what happened (as has Ilce outside of WoW). I didn't end up going back btw.

There is someone else that this could be....hmmm.. It's on the tip of my tongue.......starts with B.....let me think about it.

Ah. Gotit. Could be Bladey?
Last edited by Twiztid Elf on 13 Apr 2009 06:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Symbiote

Post by Symbiote »

Good to see they're still going strong, I see Lils (Ghoulish) is still there too and possibly Sctrbrn and Murderdoll.

Wonder where freremort's and aeterno are at.

I'd love to go back and play with those guys, but for better or for worse my life has moved on and I have other priorities now. I know if I did go back I simply wouldn't enjoy it, but I still miss the people.
Last edited by Symbiote on 13 Apr 2009 06:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

TURTLES!!!
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Actually, I can think of at least 5 people that Sym could be.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

What I don't understand is why anybody would think WoW is better than PSO.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Because it is.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

this thread is so 5 minits ago
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

this thread has some info-

viewtopic.php?t=62
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

and

viewtopic.php?t=48
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Symbiote wrote:
unfnknblvbl wrote:I got banned because I spoke out against WoW being even nominated for GoTY over a year after it was released, and for wanting the WoW discussion kept to the WoW subforums. I didn't even have an XBox!
To me this seemed like the kind of thing that pissed ilce off, am I wrong?
It sure did. It seemed like whenever he was talking about WoW in the main forums, it was something deeply personal to him, and to insult WoW was to insult him.
I still don't really get why people cared at the time if a couple of WoW threads hit the general gaming forums or if it won GOTY? It seemed like just deliberate shit stirring but maybe you had a good reason for it we never heard?
OK, here's the thing. PlayNOW had a yearly Game of the Year award. Every year, it had the same strict rules - that only games released between Jan and December of the previous year were eligible for nomination.
2004 (I think it was) ticked over, and WoW was nominated, but did not win.
2005 came and went, and was a huge year for gaming. Resident Evil 4 and Metal Gear Solid 3(?) were released and were fucking amazing games.
Ilce though, decided to force a rule change on the GOTY competition. Now, the rules were "GOTY is the award for the game you felt you spent the most time with this year, or you felt had the biggest impact"

How fucked is that? Under those rules, I could have nominated Alex Fucking Kidd in Miracle World!

All of a sudden, a bajillion members sprung out of the WoW subforums and nominated and voted for WoW. Who the fuck were these people, and why did they never show their noses in general discussion before?
Votes were evenly split amongst the long-timers between RE4 and MGS, and without something drastic happening WoW would have become GOTY.

And so yes, something drastic occurred - Pat lobbied people voting for MGS to switch to RE4. I assume Ilce went spastic over this, because even though RE4 had the votes by closing time, WoW was still claimed the winner.

Resident. Evil. Four.

It's a fucking masterpiece of gaming. In ten of fifteen years time, we'll still be digging it out to play like we do Mario or Alex Kidd these days. It was a watershed moment for console gaming, and as we've seen recently with RE5, it's pretty fucking difficult to top.

Yet, a game released a year prior to it that doesn't really add much to the MMORPG genre got in because Ilce levered a bunch of antisocial addicts to vote for it, after changing the rules so that it was nominated.

But then June rolled around, and well... that's all covered in this thread

Everybody was pissed about the WoW threads in the general section because anybody that was interested in WoW was already checking out the appropriate area of the site. If I'd posted a clip of a Quake speedrun in the WoW section, everybody there would have bitched just as much. Ilce just snapped and decided to wield the banhammer.
And yeh unfnk u never had a xbox but you were always big on the PN IRC channel which is where I assume a lot of the behind the scenes discussion occured?
I may have been big in #playnow, but none of the discussion re games ranch ever took place there. There was a lot of bitching about WoW and how Ilce was rigging the vote, but that's about it.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

Yeah, I remembered me being a lurker/loner in PN with no interest in WoW suddenly finds that there were hardly anyone posting there for like 3-4 days in a row. Then Ilce posted something on the PN frontpage - which I thought was strange. Then I got a private message from someone here with a link to GR.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Ilce was always a bit of an arsehole, going back way back - he turned into a major fuckwit after he started playing WOW though. Towards the end I had stopped posting at PN - it had become a circle jerk for ilce and his 'officers'. I had been spending more time over at 4BG. I got an invite to come here by Pat and joined on the 2nd day. I'm an infrequent poster but I have been around since the ODWF and this is by far the best gaming forum on the net at the moment, bar-fucking-none. Funny how I have spent most of my adult life chatting with the same people here yet I've never met anyone face to face.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

:lol: yeah... I've known people here longer than I've known my best friends IRL! faaark
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Yeah, I wonder how many people here are posting from prison.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

K.T.Shoe[BMs] wrote:Yeah, I remembered me being a lurker/loner in PN with no interest in WoW suddenly finds that there were hardly anyone posting there for like 3-4 days in a row. Then Ilce posted something on the PN frontpage - which I thought was strange. Then I got a private message from someone here with a link to GR.
That was pretty much it for me too, except nobody sent me an invite (that I remember). Where the bloody hell was my invite? Bastards!

I hadn't been very active at PN for some time but I'd still check there occasionally. All those WoW forums started up, then there was some big drama happening which I didn't bother paying much attention to, and then members who's names meant something to me started getting banned or deleted and the non-WoW forums and activity shrunk and that message mentioned above appeared.

I didn't come straight over here because...I dunno, maybe I felt kinda loyal to PlayNOW and thought it would all eventually blow over or something. 4BG was helpful at that stage for keeping me informed as to what was going on. Once I saw that pretty much all the names I cared about were over here (sans DJ) I reluctantly made the plunge. And then Chromehounds came out!