Play an instrument?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I play drums - haven't picked up a pair of sticks for many years though... But I'm always tapping, it takes me forever to unpack the dishwasher because I'll be practicing away with a pair of wooden spons, coming up with new fills and the like... :D

Later this year I plan on picking this up:

I don't play metal - but I'm into just about everything else...

When I finished school I was in a band called Uncle Extacy - I decided to quit and focus on work, turns out the guys kept at it, and are doing pretty well. They can be heard on Triple J most days. They go under a different name now though... Intercooler! The singer, Phil Ballantyne is the only original guy left. The original guitarist left a couple of years ago I think. Wish I'd kept at it!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I totally mean to pick up drums one day. Unfortunately, I have rather lofty goals in mind - the multiple time signatures at once is kinda difficult for somebody that can't even keep hands and feet coordinated :?

...that, and a kit the size I want would be ludicrously expensive anyway...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Speaking of custom guitars... And the Matt Bellamy built in midi Manson - you can now buy one! For the princely sum of +3000 pounds... Fucking bargain, I reckon.

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

fuck that. ~$9k for a boring old axe with a touchpad and a MIDI controller thingo?

I'd rather get me a Moog guitar for that kind of money - MIDI out plus a whole heap of actual purely tonal shit that the thing does.

...alas, I am rather set in my 7-string ways (haters be damned, it's fucking hard to go back to a Six), so it'll be a while yet before I get a Moog :?
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Matt plays a 7 string, and a 6.

SHOW SOME FUCKING RESPECT. :D
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

$9k...fuck oath, you could get a genuine lespaul modified for midi play at that price and still have money for a blowjob. expression pad is cool though. You have influenced me though unfnk, after hearing what a guitar synth is capable of on youtube I have decided I would like a system quite like the roland GR20. Things like the hold functions are very appealing. Perhaps I'll look at some simpler units such as the electro harmonix micro synth for the short term(vid below).

Meanwhile, visit the ultimate lesson thread
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Timbo, going to add yourself to the Intercooler wikipedia page? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercooler_(band" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

BOOMY wrote:$9k...fuck oath, you could get a genuine lespaul modified for midi play at that price and still have money for a blowjob. expression pad is cool though. You have influenced me though unfnk, after hearing what a guitar synth is capable of on youtube I have decided I would like a system quite like the roland GR20. Things like the hold functions are very appealing. Perhaps I'll look at some simpler units such as the electro harmonix micro synth for the short term(vid below).

Meanwhile, visit the ultimate lesson thread
Fuck, that microsynth is awesome! Fuck the Roland GR20 off though - if you're going to go MIDI pickups, get this thing - the pickups are then built in to your guitar. It's about $350ish, plus the outlay for the MIDI synth unit. All up, just over a grand. That's a touch more than the GR20, but you don't get saddled with an unsightly and slightly unreliable external pickup.

...of course, you'd better be damned sure that the guitar you're getting it added to is going to be the best axe for the job...
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

lol anal
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Would that ghost midi pickup system be capable of doing the same 'hold' functions as the GR-20?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Yeah, the GR20 is the effects/MIDI unit itself. The Ghost pickups are just pickups with a dedicated pre-amp suited for the 13-pin connector that the GR20 uses. You'll still have to pick up the MIDI unit itself, which is why it'll cost more than the GR20 does all up. You'll just have tto find a MIDI unit that also does the Hold function. I'd imagine it's a standard feature.

The advantage of the GR20 is that you can change what axe you have it on, and it has a built-in foot controller. The unit I've been looking at is a rack-mounted thing, which would require a separate foot controller, I assume.

Allans music in the city have a GR20 (and another unit I'm not sure about) in the basement if you want to check it out - go have a chat to Rohan there and tell him I sent you.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Ah yes silly me. I think I prefer the removable style of pickup from roland. Anyhoo, ask this bloke for a quote on a midi integrated guitar, his prices are great and I've heard his work is excellent. http://www.customguitarworks.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

haha, I've actually been considering getting a custom axe built, but I think it's best to just upgrade the one I've got, bit by bit - otherwise I'll end up with an axe full of gadgetry that'll cost a small fortune.

...although I'm sorely tempted by that double-neck bass he's got...
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Fuck it, I've asked for a quote for a custom body + neck - with no hardware whatsoever. I can add all that shit in later, plus I'd like to give my tech some work.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

mech wrote:Timbo, going to add yourself to the Intercooler wikipedia page? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercooler_(band" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Nahhh, I was in the early Uncle days... Good to read about them though Milesy - didn't even think to hit up Wikipedia! :)
flipswitch
que
que

Re: Play an instrument?

Post by flipswitch »

My Fender American Vintage '59 Stratocaster arrived from musoscorner ( last one they had) :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372814165.731970.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

Nice 1 brother! Any special pickups in it? What amp are you playing it through?

Forgot about this thread man. I might throw some pics up of all the ridiculous amounts of expensive gear I've got over the last few years. I'm up to 7 guitars + a bass, a few amps and several pedals.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

fuck, this thread is a total blast from the past! I'd forgotten all about spending my Ruddbucks on pickups from overseas :lol:

My collection has also increased - I have an Ibanez RGA7 and a Schecter.. something. Oh, and a Line 6 Spider IV head unit. I'll posterise pics when I find them.
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

A coupla Ibanez Guitars in this thread. Here is mine:

Other musical interests are:

Violin - Parents gave me years of lessons as a kid and picked it up again. Not an easy instrument to return to!
Drums - I purchased my drummers old drumkit so we didnt have to keep moving kits from house to house. And then we did role reversal where He would play Paranoid on guitar while I bashed it out on the drums
Flute - Years of playing recorder through school, and then one of those cheap wooden flutes, then I got a decent flute to play and have fun with.
Sax - I build a basic website for a family friend who sells second hand saxophones - payment was a cool sax. I can make some terrible noises with it. A 'down the track' thing
:rock:
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Bumping this as I bit the bullet and bought an ESP and amp in the weekend. I originally bought a guitar back in 93 but after a few months of trying to learn (much easier today with the internet to guide you) I threw it away in favour of motorbikes and videogames.

Took it round to Unfunks on Saturday and he gave the amp a Carve thumbs up. Trying to find easy metal riffs to play in between watching some 'Guitars for Dummies' videos. Can play the a couple of riffs ok, lol@how easy Orgasmatron is but yeah, will definitely be trying to dedicate some time each day.

Will post a pic of the gear today if I remember.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

If anyone is wondering, he got a Line 6 Spider IV 15, which is the baby version of what I have (150HD). For the price, it's utterly brilliant, and even coped fine with my Schecter 7 blasting through it full tilt.
I've never seen a baby amp handle a seven so well. I've spent more money on things that are significantly less brilliant than that amp!