Going to the States

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Hawaii tomorrow!!!!!!!! Wwwoooooooooooooooooo!!!
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

Have a great time mate.
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

You only just wake up from your little do? :P

Cheers buddy
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

So here's my take on the USA.

I guess the whole time I was on holidays, so I'm there spending heaps of cash, doing touristy things, and just all-round enjoying myself, so that fact in itself slants my opinion versus regular joe worker. Also, I was with my family, therefore I had very limited exposure to drinking, clubbing, pubs, dining (outside of family style), and strip clubs. Additionally, I was in SoCal and Vegas the whole time which are tourist areas and good weather and laid back people.

The most awesome things I did straight off the bat were going to the NFL and the NHL pre-season game. I knew that they would be before I left. Both were just amazing. I really wish we could have got to a baseball game too. The Angels stadium is right there in Anaheim, so it was a shame not to have got to one, but the whole holiday was packed time wise, and i'm absolutely exhausted right now, so I don't think we could have squeezed it in.

After that, I'd say San Diego zoo was really good, as was Seaworld. The killer whale (Shamu) show at Seaworld was really good. Was great to see all these crazy arse animals (like Flamingos and Piranhas) in real life. Actually, just the whole of San Diego is awesome. Really enjoyed our time there. San Diego Old Town is really great too.

The weather was awesome the whole time. They were having a heatwave for this time of year. It was over 100F (whatever that is) a lot of the time. I like the hot, so I really enjoyed it. Clear blue skies, sun and the smog cleared every morning by about 8am.

I don't get all the hate for LA. Sure it was nowhere near as good as SD and LV, but it wasn't the horrible place I had been led to believe. I would have liked to have spent more time wandering around there, in particular Melrose Ave which looked to have some interesting shops.

Foodwise, I was a bit disappointed. None of the food really impressed me, with the exception of a Mexican meal I had at Old Town SD which was the best Mex food I've ever eaten. Dennys is reasonable quality at a reasonable price too, for a good belly-filler.

Vegas was cool too. Saw a few shows there including a magic show, Tournament of Kings (medieval show) and the Fremont St experience.

One thing that surprised me is how nice, friendly and polite the Americans are. Even the scumbags on the train and the crackheads and homeless bums in the street are polite and nice. Seriously wtf? It was really evident when we got back here to Australia, and people are rude and pushy just like usual. There's no-one in a rush to do anything in SoCal that's for sure.

Tipping is a custom I was a bit concerned about before going there, but now I actually agree with it, and kindof wish we had it here. It all makes sense to me now. Service actually exists in USA because of tipping. Unlike here where service is non-existent.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Oh man, fucking Denny's. My first day in the US years ago that fucking place made me want to chuck. It didn't taste bad per se, but it wasn't good. Still beats the shit out of iHOP over there - now that is some real dodgy fucking food.

As for politeness, I had the same impression, but then realise that most yanks have the same impression toward Australians and I chalk it down to being approached as a tourist more than anything else.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

I loved my trip to the USA in May this year, even though it was cut short by a death in the family and i only spent 2 out of 5 weeks there. We were in New York for the 2 weeks and it has always been my dream to see the big apple... All i can say is that i'm seriously having withdrawel symptoms and now i want to live as close as i can afford to New York City.:( It's seriously bad because i'm almost in a constant state of near-depression leaving the city. It was everything i expected and more.
The people were great and very nice, but the city was just awesome. I spent the entire 2 weeks just gob smacked at the total awesomeness of the vibe and the fact the city of Manhattan really doesn't ever sleep.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

Twiztid Elf wrote:One thing that surprised me is how nice, friendly and polite the Americans are. Even the scumbags on the train and the crackheads and homeless bums in the street are polite and nice. Seriously wtf? It was really evident when we got back here to Australia, and people are rude and pushy just like usual. There's no-one in a rush to do anything in SoCal that's for sure.

Tipping is a custom I was a bit concerned about before going there, but now I actually agree with it, and kindof wish we had it here. It all makes sense to me now. Service actually exists in USA because of tipping. Unlike here where service is non-existent.
Apart from some dodgy areas I ended up in LA (hello Inglewood!!!) and American Airlines ground crew at LAX, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I will say though, people in NYC are nicer than LA, but people in San Fran are even nicer. I really do miss it.

I only just got back tonight from Hawaii (:P), gotta say, they are the nicest people I've ever met. So happy, relaxed and smiling. Now I'm back in Sydney and really broke now.... I want to go back.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Re: Going to the States

Post by cloud »

Going to yanky land early tomorrow moring WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! spending 4 weeks there so ill see you cunts in a month :D
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Make sure you watch some Man V Food before you go so you know where to eat!
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

cloud wrote:Going to yanky land early tomorrow moring WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! spending 4 weeks there so ill see you cunts in a month :D
Sweet as dude, have a fuck awesome time.

<hopes the AUD rises for ya>
KillKen
lazy
XBL ID: KillKen

Post by KillKen »

Really interested in going to Comic con in San Diego next year. Has anyone been? is it worth going? I thought I would go there for a week or two.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

I'm leaving in a month and going to be staying in L.A for almost 5 months.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Scullibundo wrote:I'm leaving in a month and going to be staying in L.A for almost 5 months.
Why so long?
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Going to be doing film production there. :)
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

I'm off to New York and Boston in August. Paid for everything while the dollar was still at 93c :)

Looking forward to banking my IRS cheques for a whole $16 while I'm there.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?

Post by cloud »

Hey Burn and Bruce i stumbled on this awesome slot machine in vegas you might like :up:
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

So Cloud, are you gonna give us the Skinny or what?
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?

Post by cloud »

Twiztid Elf wrote:So Cloud, are you gonna give us the Skinny or what?
Well since you asked :D

I fucking loved it! i spent a month in CA in a place called Simi Valley. I got firends that live there so accomo wasn't a problem... Me and the misses done the lot! Disneyland, Six flags Magic mountain :twisted: , Universal Studio's, Vegas, Seaworld, Dodgers game, Indoor skydiving and heaps more shit i can't think of lol. The food there was amazing! i was 84 kg before i left got back and bang! 96 kg! To much IN & OUT burger :lol: Everyday was fast food or eating out, brekky lunch and dinner! Fuck it was good!

The people were so nice like as soon as they start to here the accent they want to help you out never had one drama the whole time we were there which was good. Tipping wasn't a big problem cause because everything was bullshit cheap anyways plus the waiters worked for there service so ya don't mind tipping em.

But the highlight of the trip was Vegas for sure! We went and seen Holly Madison's Peep show at planet hollywood dam she has a good set of titties. The place goes 24/7 drinking all day and night i had the time of my life! $12 for 2 jugs!!! im down with dat! We ended up staying at the flamingo for 3 nights and 4 days and they had a pretty cool pool so the plan was to get blind at nights and relax all day at the pool. Down the road near New York New York they had a indoor skydiving wind tunnel which was pretty cool! its nothing like the real thing :lol:

I just couldn't believe how cheap clothes and shoes and that kinda stuff was, me and the misses went nuts! we had to buy second suit cases! Went to this shop called Sports Chalet and they had everything from Guns to ping pong, they had the lot! So i bought me a snowboard and a wakeboard was 1/4 the price to what you pay over here. We are getting so ripped off on some of the prices we have to pay here :(

But all in all was the funniest time of my life! I loved USA im in talks atm to see if i can score a job there and try it out for acouple of years fingers crossed! and here's some pics of the trip!
LA game
Vegas
Vegas
Cletus's new home
me and the misses fucking round with my mates guns
Me and my good bud Arnie
Planet Hollywood
JP ride at universal
and me getting owned by JAWS
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

cloud wrote:I fucking loved it! i spent a month in CA in a place called Simi Valley. I got firends that live there so accomo wasn't a problem... Me and the misses done the lot! Disneyland, Six flags Magic mountain :twisted: , Universal Studio's, Vegas, Seaworld, Dodgers game, Indoor skydiving and heaps more shit i can't think of lol. The food there was amazing! i was 84 kg before i left got back and bang! 96 kg! To much IN & OUT burger :lol: Everyday was fast food or eating out, brekky lunch and dinner! Fuck it was good!

The people were so nice like as soon as they start to here the accent they want to help you out never had one drama the whole time we were there which was good. Tipping wasn't a big problem cause because everything was bullshit cheap anyways plus the waiters worked for there service so ya don't mind tipping em.

But the highlight of the trip was Vegas for sure! We went and seen Holly Madison's Peep show at planet hollywood dam she has a good set of titties. The place goes 24/7 drinking all day and night i had the time of my life! $12 for 2 jugs!!! im down with dat! We ended up staying at the flamingo for 3 nights and 4 days and they had a pretty cool pool so the plan was to get blind at nights and relax all day at the pool. Down the road near New York New York they had a indoor skydiving wind tunnel which was pretty cool! its nothing like the real thing :lol:

I just couldn't believe how cheap clothes and shoes and that kinda stuff was, me and the misses went nuts! we had to buy second suit cases! Went to this shop called Sports Chalet and they had everything from Guns to ping pong, they had the lot! So i bought me a snowboard and a wakeboard was 1/4 the price to what you pay over here. We are getting so ripped off on some of the prices we have to pay here :(

But all in all was the funniest time of my life! I loved USA im in talks atm to see if i can score a job there and try it out for acouple of years fingers crossed! and here's some pics of the trip!
Sounds like an awesome time, similar to my experience over there. Since coming back last year, I've been missing the place big time. It's funny you mention the job thing, I've actually been looking over the weekend as to what's required to work for a year or two over there, would be tossing up between NYC or San Francisco.
mech

Post by mech »

Go USA :D

If I weren't so settled I'd love to go over and live there for a while, quite a few job opportunities for financial software people especially the line of stuff I'm in..

Despite tax annoyances, <3 my US passport.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Hahaha geeeees cloud you've definitely stacked on some weight judging by that photo with Arnie! :lol:

Sounds good though dude! I'm jealous. I'd love to do the same, even the 12kg weight gain. Maybe not, but the food would be rad.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Just arrived in LA. What a concrete mess, exactly as I remember it. Man I need some sleep.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?

Post by cloud »

Yeah that flight is a cunt if ya can't sleep!
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Even worse when two days earlier you already had 2 flights (one connecting). But yeah, seated next to a very big, very sick, very smelly woman.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

I think I just booked a hotel in San Fran for a week...