Going to the States

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Going to the States

Post by AgOnNy »

Thinking of going to NYC in September. There's some great rates being offered ($1200 with Delta) and never been overseas before, so thought it'd be a good time. It'll be the first month of Autumn in the US, so weather should be pretty good and shouldn't be too busy at that time.

Only thing I feel I'll be looking around for will be good rates on accommodation. Would like to stay relatively close to Times Square, don't need anything too flash either. Just something secure, clean and a little TV so I can get a taste for prime time US of A Tele.

Anyone have any recommendations of decent places? Maybe even family or friends that could put us (myself and a girl...) up somewhere?
Last edited by AgOnNy on 28 Jul 2009 06:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Also, check out the NY ep of Man V Food for some eating ideas ;)
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

TBH, you don't really need to stay *that* close to Times Square as you can get there easily enough via the most excellent subway system. When I went there, I stayed closer to Central Park/Museum of Modern Art (I think) and there was always plenty of shit to look at/around.

I can't really help on prices/whatever, but after having explored a shitload of Manhattan while I was there, I realised that you don't need to have your heart set on a specific area of Manhattan as far as bunking down goes... there's always something to look at wherever you are, and you can always get to another part of town incredibly easily via the train.

Not that you'd want to, because just walking around from one end of town to the other (which I sort of did... just the weather in winter fucked me around so it was done in bursts) will blow your mind and surprise you with how easy it is to do.

PS. Fucking jealous. I keep meaning to go back there sometime when the weather's decent to finish what I started.

PPS. I think I repeated myself about 3 times just then... it's early and I get a little *too* excited when talking about my time spent up there :D Feel free to PM/post any specific questions you have.
Dj Flextacy
Mr 60FPS
XBL ID: flextacy
PSN ID: flextacy

Post by Dj Flextacy »

Ey :) which girl are you taking with you bitchka? :)

if you ever trek to canada, japan, sweden or norway i have friends who could put you up. Airfares are ridiculously cheap atm, i'm planning a japan trip this year, and another to sweden next year. As for accom in new york, there's some wrestling ppl i know there who run a school, they put people up in cheap accom, that might be what you're after, gimme a buzz some day after 6 and we'll chat.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Best Western in Time Square is great if you just want one room. Do not, I repeat, do NOT stay in the hostel 'Jazz on the Park'. But yes, definitely go if you can. New York is fucking awesome.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Too much US love in this thread, quick, someone have a whinge about seppos.

+1 on the New York love bandwagon. It's been over 10 years since I was there last but I don't think it's changed too much apart from the obvious - what a great city. Took a helicopter ride over the city, which I treasure to this day given the twin towers were still around. I can definitely recommend doing that while you're there - it's amazing. Expensive but worth every cent.
lexo

Post by lexo »

New York looks amazing, I'd love to spend a few months there some day. Shame about the seppos.
mech

Post by mech »

THAT'S BETTER
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

My mum and dad just got back and had a ball for a couple of weeks. Lots of stuff to do, it doesn't really matter where you stay, they stayed across from MSG and went everywhere easily they also had high praise for Delta so... just book it and go but accomodation is expensive.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
mech

Post by mech »

If you want to go to an awesome US city that might be a little cheaper, San Fran is at the top of my list. It's brilliant.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

mech wrote:If you want to go to an awesome US city that might be a little cheaper, San Fran is at the top of my list. It's brilliant.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

So far I'm seeing prices around AUD $2,600 for 6 nights in NYC. Most likely going to be stopping in LA on the way back for a few nights as well. Anyone know if it'll be cheaper?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

You can hang out with Rocco and check out his latest fashion designs. How good would that be?
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
marto
Top Bloke

Post by marto »

Ahahaha I thought I might be the only person that clicked to the Rocco/whomever the alias was at the time. Good work!!
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

I'm actually going to the States in 12 days! 1st stop is New York for 3 weeks, and i'm so excited!
It's one place i've wanted to visit all of my life...
Agonny, i'm flying United Airlines to New York, and it cost myself and my wife $1100 each. To fly o Las Vegas and LA after New York with Delta all up cost us $444 each for both flights!
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

marto wrote:Ahahaha I thought I might be the only person that clicked to the Rocco/whomever the alias was at the time. Good work!!
I thought everyone knew this.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

Well, the flight back from NYC stops at LA, I was under the impression I could just jump off and get a connecting flight a few days later at no extra cost?

Just looked at the Best Western prices that Sculli recommended, some great rates. $1069 USD for 6 nights!
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

My girlfriend spoke to her mum lastnight (who works for Qantas) and her mum's going to see about getting us business class tickets for cheap (probably work our a maximum of $500 each!). She'll work on our flight and get us upgraded to first class if available :up:

If all goes to plan, NYC for 6 nights, LA for a couple of days (Magic Mountain here I come!), roadtrip in a Mustang Convertible to Vegas and staying for a night, back to LA for a few more days and back to Sydney. Can't bloody wait!
mech

Post by mech »

The US indeed rocks.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

AgOnNy wrote: roadtrip in a Mustang Convertible to Vegas and staying for a shotgun wedding, back to LA for a few more days and back to Sydney. Can't bloody wait!
mech

Post by mech »

Just don't break up before September :D
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

Unfortunately I don't have my full NSW Driver's License at this point, but have a 'Learners' license. I don't want people telling me I'm mad, trying to judge my driving skills or even wondering what I'm doing still on my learners, but can I legally drive in the US (LA & Vegas) on my Learners license (with my fully licensed girlfriend)?

Been looking all day and can't find the answer. Nothing stipulates that I can't.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

What are you, 17?

Given you can't get an International Driving Permit with a Learners licence, I'd say your chances are slim.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

Don't need an IDP for California or Nevada.

Come back when you know the answer.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

AgOnNy wrote:Come back when you know the answer.
lets hope you dont

[Click to see hidden content]
:D