Going to the States

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Re: Going to the States

Post by General Chaos »

I'm over there for 10 nights. Funnily I never managed to catch up with either you or Talez in my trips to Melb/Perth so we shall have to see.

I also said WTF to myself when I was booking tickets. Had been thinking about an OS trip for a bit with SF at the top of the list but had sort of settled on taking a longer trip later next year to UK/Europe, then BAM booked to SF.

Also hooked up some tickets to a Giants game. :)
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Talez will be out of town... :P
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Ohhhhh I was just about to ask if you were going to a Giants game, I am very keen to go to one eventually... and some NFL. We had a work outing to a Giants game but I had a concert on that night.

My baby is due this week (!!!) so it's highly unlikely I can catch up but it would be cool if something did work out, hence me asking how long you're here for... I think we're going to the city on the weekend of the 8th but sounds like you'll be gone by then...
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Good times for mech! Yeah flying out on the 7th (Fri night).

Def don't bother trying to fit me into your plans. You will be on call and should be close by at all times.
Brown Hornet

Post by Brown Hornet »

General Chaos wrote:I'm over there for 10 nights. Funnily I never managed to catch up with either you or Talez in my trips to Melb/Perth so we shall have to see.

I also said WTF to myself when I was booking tickets. Had been thinking about an OS trip for a bit with SF at the top of the list but had sort of settled on taking a longer trip later next year to UK/Europe, then BAM booked to SF.

I caught a Giants game in SF when I was over there a few years ago. Not much of a fan of the sport, but really enjoyed it live. It's a pretty friendly scene over there. Any Niners fans we were chatting to over there would always invite us tailgating once they heard we were going to the game.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

mech wrote:My baby is due this week (!!!)
Good luck with the family mate :nana:
mech

Post by mech »

Thanks Ags :)

Chaos - Hahaha, so now I see how unlikely it is I can see even people close by anytime soon. She has arrived, is beautiful, and is a lot of work. :)
Doc Holliday
nearly dead with consumption

Post by Doc Holliday »

mech wrote:She has arrived, is beautiful
Oh, any idea who the father is?
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Doc Holliday wrote:
mech wrote:She has arrived, is beautiful
Oh, any idea who the father is?
FUCKEN LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Going to the States

Post by pilonv1 »

a1studdmuffin of course
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Bahahaha.

Congratulations, Miles! Best wishes to you and the Mrs. :)
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

General Chaos wrote:I'm over there for 10 nights. Funnily I never managed to catch up with either you or Talez in my trips to Melb/Perth so we shall have to see.

What do you like to eat mate? I know SF like the back of my hand and happy to give some tips.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Congrats mech! :)

Ags I tend to like food but would end up wherever my stomach (or wifle) leads me. So feel free to list some hilights and I will pass them onto the boss's for perusal.

Will be interesting to see how Megs research matches up with your list and might help narrow some choices down. :)
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

General Chaos wrote:Congrats mech! :)

Ags I tend to like food but would end up wherever my stomach (or wifle) leads me. So feel free to list some hilights and I will pass them onto the boss's for perusal.

Will be interesting to see how Megs research matches up with your list and might help narrow some choices down. :)
Not sure where you're staying, I stay right next to Union Square but wander all over.

Breakfast
- Dottie's True Blue Cafe - Civic Centre/Tenderloin. Best breakfast I've ever had, the scrambles & homefries are amazing.
- Mama's - Nth Beach. Not as good as Dottie's, but still some great food and awesome baked goods. Grab a slice of crumb cake to go & wander around the area.

Lunch/Dinner
- Ike's Place - 16th & Sanchez. I'm not a fan of sandwiches...except for Ike's. This place is mind blowing, check out the menu.
- Umami Burger - Marina/Cow Hollow. Not exactly fast food, but they do mouth-watering burgers. You need to eat one to believe how good a burger can be, seriously. I've had the Umami Burger, Manly Burger, Bacon-Wrapped Scallop Burger which are all great, but my favourite is the Truffle Burger. Also, Marina district is a real nice area to go for a stroll with the missus, plenty of shops and the like.

Other Recommendations (incl shops)
- Bob's Donut & Pastry Shop - Polk St. Best donuts in the world, but don't arrive before 10:30pm, that's when they start making everything fresh. Maple Buttermilk Bar is a must try.
- Food Trucks - found throughout SF and the food is awesome. Good value & great quality. Check out Off the Grid on Friday 5-10pm at Fort Mason. They have a collection of approx 30 trucks & food vendors, live entertainment too.
- If you venture down to Best Buy on Harrison Street, there is a taco truck called El Tayonese. Cheap & some of the best taco's you'll eat.
- Take the missus to Nordstrom Rack on 9th Street (south of Market St). Top fashion brands & labels at great prices. Has been the cause of buying extra luggage bags on my trips...you're also guaranteed to find something for yourself too.
- Ride the Cable Cars, Powell & Hyde in particular for some amazing views.

I could go on with a lot more, but I'm sure you've got things planned anyhow.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Back home now! :(

Had a great time and loved the 49ers and Giants* games!

I hit up some of the places you listed Aggs! Umami was probably the highlight! Overall I was impressed by most of the food I stumbled on. Rolls/sandwiches can basically be classed as a 3 course meal with bread attached.

Coffee was pretty shit but managed to fluke a decent coffee in Sausalito which was a win all in itself.

Did the usual stuff around town and also went to Yosemite, Napa/Sanoma, Muir Woods, Monterey/Carmel.

Didn't lick any tents at Yosemite so hopefully won't die (Yosemite is amazing and would be even more spectacular in winter/spring).

*Mech you should get to a Giants game ASAP! Though you may get addicted and with so many games in a season homelessness may ensue (perhaps that is why there are so many bums in the city?)

Oh and yeah the streets don't look half bad without commodores or Falcons running around. Something to look forward to in our future. ;)
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD

Post by AgOnNy »

Sounds awesome mate! (you bastard... :P) Wat did you get at Umami? What other places did you go to? (I'm guessing Ike's by the way you describe the sandwich/roll)
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

You guys are thinking of moving there? Nice one!
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Lol how did you come to that conclusion? The Falcon quip?
KillKen
lazy
XBL ID: KillKen

Post by KillKen »

Keen as fucking mustard at the moment. My fiance and I have been booking shit left, right & center for our honeymoon to the states in December. 4 weeks in Hawaii, L.A, Vegas and Christmas and New Years in New York. Going to be friggin nuts!!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Nice! Congrats on the marriage too.
KillKen
lazy

Post by KillKen »

Cheers mate :up:
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Going to the States

Post by emptyvessel »

We got married at the start of 2013 and did our honeymoon through Mexico and the US. Cabo San Lucas for a week, then we hit LA, drove through Big Sur to San Fran, then flew to Vegas and New York. Was fantastic. Bloody cold though, so pack your thermals for NYC.

A few bits of advice: LA is a bit of a hole, San Fran is fantastic, you need to do a helicopter tour into the Grand Canyon while you're in Vegas and also take a day trip up to Niagara Falls while you're in New York. We had 6 weeks though so jammed a bit more in.
KillKen
lazy

Post by KillKen »

Yeah I have been to LA before in 2011, wasn't a fan except for Universal studios :). My fiance has never been overseas before so she wants to do the Hollywood tours and stuff like that.
We are splitting a week for LA and Vegas so we can do 2 weeks in NY. We are staying right in Times Square :).
You should see the spreadsheet of all the stuff we are doing LOL.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

Going to be in New York for one day/two nights in Jan en route to the Bahamas for our honeymoon.

Never been there before (or the US), so gonna be in full tourist mode for the tiny amount of time we have there. Any tips? We are planning on doing a proper US and NYC trip further down track though so just going to concentrate on the major first timers stuff eg ESB, Rockefeller/TOTR, Central Park, Times Square, Grand Central etc. Can't wait!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Another one! Congrats stanny! Happy for you.