Need home audio help

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Need home audio help

Post by BOOMY »

I've had this sony hifi for a bout 5 years now and after being knocked on the floor hard by various pets the turntable and tape player are screwed. My music setup atm consists of using my computer as cd/mp3 player hooked up the hifi's inputs.

This is all a bit messy really, so i'd like to take the speakers from the hifi (perhaps buy another 2 + a sub also) and hook it up to an all new amp. The problem I face is sony likes to build things to go with sony products only*, the speaker are 'hybrid woofers' which pretty much means each speaker has a bassy sub type thing in there too. The amp that came with the hifi has a setting called 'v-groove'(turning the sub part of each speaker on) which u pretty much want as default or else its just fucking soft to listen to. If I just hooked my speakers straight up to an amp how would I enable this function? Would it be default?

Also if anyone has any recommendations for a good but cheap amp unit to hook up my computer and some speakers to and related info that would help.

*i needed a new lead for my $200 headphones and it ended up costing $80 cuz regular headfone to headfone jack wires wouldn't work, it was some fucked up sony(or perhaps i'm ignorant and it was a kind of headfone lead i dont know about) wire that had fluffy shit inside.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

How do the speakers connect to the amp currently? If it is just through regular speaker wire, then the 'V-groove' is most likely just some EQ gimmick on the amp side. Having said that, the speakers probably aren't much chop, and you're probably better off getting yourself some new speakers, as well as a new amp/receiver.

What sort of amp/receiver you want should come down to a few things... Mainly the following:
Budget
AV switching requirements
Speakers

If you go with budget speakers, there's no point getting a high end receiver.
The move AV inputs the better, particularly those that are component of above (HDMI) though their use at the moment will be dependant upon your display and other equipment.

I'd recommend you pick up a basic Yamaha/Pio/Sony/Denon receiver, and a new pair of speakers. For value for money you could go something like the following Dick Smith speaker pack and cover hyour bases with basic 5.1:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.store ... iew/A2669P

It's cheap, yet functional, and should give you a lot better sound than a Home Theatre in a Box Solution, or pairing up your existing speakers with a new amp (though the details on your speakers are hazy). I don't expect that the DSE subwoofer would be very musical, but it should be good for movies and games.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

IMO, just pick up a set of Z-680 or Z-5500 speakers and go that way. They're really cheap, includes 5 speakers and the sub and are excellent quality.

Avoids the potential issue of your current speakers not working also.

If you want to get a proper amp... you're looking at similar prices to a set of Z-5500's anyway.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Well I would think the 'v groove' is some EQ trick too, but its ALOT louder.

Ok upon closer inspection the v-groove button turns the entire bottom half of the speaker off. The bottom half appears to be a subwoofer to me(hence the hybrid woofer name). You reckon it'd just be on by default hooking these up to somehting else?

I know i 'should' get a whole new setup, but limited budget and i dunno...i just wont accept these speakers wont be used in my house. they arent beasts compared to what you guys prolly have but I appriciate the fake sub wooferness and they are pretty loud and clear. They seem 'too good' to just turf out.

You got a model name on that DSE pack, the link didnt go directly to the product and I cbf registering.