Android Thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: Android Thread

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I really want to get a Huawei Watch, but with Android Wear 2.0 around the corner, and the possibility that Google will be making a "nexus watch", it's difficult to decide.

Hopefully third gen watches will have better battery life.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Back to android with the note 7 today. Much more polished than the pOS that came with the note 4.

Probably would have stayed with apple but an iPhone 6SSplus won't cut it.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

Yeah I'm tempted to get the new Note, to upgrade from my Note 4. Trying to be patient and see what and how much the new Nexus is before taking the plunge though. Although seeing the Note 7 in the flesh the other day and man is it a nice bit of kit so will see how long I last.
2nd place is the first loser....

General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

So yeah my Note 7 goes back for a refund today and I am pre ordering an iphone 7.

Keeping note would be going with my heart but going iphone is a better financial proposition as I can effectively replace my phone yearly at 0 change over through Sal Sacrifice.

Recall will fuck up resale even more than the usual abismal android resale value.

Will re assess next year.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

I'm pretty much ready to go android, and then samsung go and fuck it all up! Guess I'll wait.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Looks good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Wow, for such a beautifully designed item, the included watch faces are fucking awful.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Here's my SmartWatch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Probably more useful than mine!
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

My phone will be two years old in January-ish. I usually buy the previous year's model to save some money so the model will actually be closer to 3 years old by then (LG G3, originally released May 2014). So I've started the first tentative look at what's out there, and unless my phone dies completely, I'm not sure anything is worth the upgrade.

Here's my (smart)phone history:

Xperia X10
Xperia Arc (replaced the X10 under warranty)
HTC 8X
LG G3

So I've gone from Android to Windows Phone and back again. From Sony to HTC to LG. The Sony phones were pretty rubbish (mainly because of a lack of storage space. I couldn't even keep the built-in programs up-to-date without running out of space!) I loved the 8X, but got frustrated by the lack of apps. I mean, I mainly use Facebook, news apps, email and the odd game on my phone so it wasn't as frustrating as it would be for people who run their entire lives from their phone, but it would always catch me out. The lack of Google support was the killer, no Google Maps or Youtube etc. There was an official Youtube app on there when I first got it too, but Google and Microsoft wouldn't play nice :| So that was really annoying, having functionality removed after I bought it.

My dream phones will most likely never happen. They are an Xperia Play 2 (PS Vita + Android 7 = done!) or a Surface Phone with full Google support (Android has won, how will Youtube etc on Windows Phone hurt Google?)

It's a sad state of affairs when the phone a lot of people out there consider the best on the market had to be recalled because it blows up.

Will be interesting to see what the next Nexus/Pixel looks like.

*sigh*
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I've got 6 months left on my HTC M9 and want to move to something with as close to stock Android better camera but I'm not sure if I'll get that with a non-samsung droid phone.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I can't believe how much better the Samsung cameras are over my HTC M8
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I know, but I can't stand the Samsung UI. Would prefer to go back to Apple than deal with it
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

the HTC 10 has a great camera and a nearly stock UI. Like, all you have to do is change the home screen and it's stock.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So, it's nearly new phone time again, and.... is it just me, or is there nothing particularly interesting on the market? I's like a few years ago, all mobile devices suddenly reached "it's good enough" parity and since then it's only been minor manufacturer add-ons that have made any difference?

I'm thinking that after the amazing experience I had with my Moto X, I might go back there with either the Moto X4 or the Moto Z2.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I've had the Samsung Note 3 for over four years now. Replaced the battery twice and just can't bring myself to "upgrade"to something new. I'm wary because everything has a built-in battery now and it costs me less than 15 dollars to buy a new battery off of Ebay. It's the longest lasting phone I've had so far.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

Yeah, I'm still rocking my Nexus 5, over 4 years now. Still does the job but definitely showing it's age. Keep going to buy something new but nothing jumps out. Was looking at the LG G6 for that wide camera lens but ehh I just don't know, and can't bring myself to drop 1k on something like a Pixel or a V30. That Moto X4 does look nice though and it's got the wide angle lens too. Might just end up cheaping out and getting a Xiaomi Mi A1.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

My current phone is the Moto X Style (Pure in the US) and I love it. Stock Android and it was the best bang for buck phone I could find back when I bought it.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

stanard wrote:Might just end up cheaping out and getting a Xiaomi Mi A1.
One of my relatives has it and for $230-250 it's ridiculously good. No band 28 and the camera is just average but seems great for the price.

I got a Pixel 2 (non XL) when they were $900 at Xmas, am very happy with it.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by stanard »

So my Nexus 5 finally carked it one night last week at 10pm. Was on the road all day for work the next day with no spare phone available so ducked down to Coles and picked up an Optus X Smart (Alcatel Pop 4+) for $79. Pretty crazy what you can get for this cheap nowadays. I mean it's still a hunk of junk that can't do anything overly intensive but with a 5.5inch screen, decent build quality and almost stock android (although only 6.0) I can't complain!
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by stanard »

Got an LG G6. Loving it. Wide angle camera is so good.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I picked up a Moto X4 from Catch of the Day for $435, since my HTC 10 seems to be suffering a prolonged death.

Initial impressions are that the build quality is nice, and the gesture system for the fingerprint sensor seems pretty nifty.
I have a sneaking suspicion that it won't be quite as "magical" as the Moto X 2014 was though, but I'm only just setting it up now.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I'll be in the market for a new Android phone later this year.
Big selling point for me is battery life, so the front runner is the Asus Zephone I think.
You'll have to let me know what the battery life is like on the Moto unfunk. Looks like a nice phone. You should always check Kogan before purchase though. ;)
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Anyone upgraded their Android to Oreo? Mines been bugging me but it looks like some big cosmetic changes so I'm wary coz their usually shit.