Android Thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: Android Thread

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

:rock:
Pull out your wallets and get ready, on September 10, 2020 the Microsoft Surface Duo will officially go on sale for US$1,399. Converted to Australian Dollars that is around $1960 AUD, and if you take the normal Australia tax into account would likely be $2110.
Source

:io: :(
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Am I going crazy, or did the physical button under the volume keys used to lock your phone before the big update last month? Now it just tries to activate Bixby.
Hoping other Galaxy owners can answer (Im using an s10).
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

on the S20, that is the "bixby button" - you can reconfigure it to act as a power button, but yeah. They may have tried to force Bixby on more users... ugh.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yeah just reconfigure it. Nobody uses Bixby because it's shit. I assume only actual wankers use any of the digital assistants like Bixby, Siri or "hey Google"...

Just revert it back to a power button.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

Google assistant is great in the car, but do hate using that kind of junk in general.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I use it for my Google Home Mini to control my LiFX bulbs, but that's it. It really pisses my off when my phone reacts to random shit though.
Last edited by unfnknblvbl on 26 Feb 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Very handy to use in the car but that’s about it.

I do however like piss off Bixby by telling him to clean my gutters.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Cletus wrote:Yeah just reconfigure it. Nobody uses Bixby because it's shit. I assume only actual wankers use any of the digital assistants like Bixby, Siri or "hey Google"...

Just revert it back to a power button.
I use 'Hey Google', well I hold the button to activate it, but 99.9% it's used for Mr 5yo when he asks me to show him a picture of a dinosaur or animal. That's it.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Problem is, you have to login to Bixby to be able to customise the button, and if you log out you lose the customisation :/ Oh well.

I haven't used any voice assistants. I guess I don't like the idea of it listening to what I say to hear the activation command (though I'm guessing you can make it push button activated?) I dunno, it's not like I'm a privacy nut, I think I just miss the old days of the net and tech where everything wasn't out to make a buck off you, and if it was, you paid for it up front and that was that. Tempted to get it going so I can change songs by voice in the car though.

It's funny when the old guy at work who is always trying to sound so tech savvy, bragging about how he uses ad-blockers and VPNs etc. But every now and again his Pixel phone will try and google whatever the fuck he's currently talking about :lol:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I've decided that my next phone will (probably) not be another range-topper like the S20 Ultra was. I've been bitterly disappointed by the phone and by Samsung's warranty (no free glass replacement on an oversized $2000+ phone that will crack in your pocket??).

Thinking of getting a Nokia next time, unless Motorola have something interesting.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Just picked up a Pixel 6. Would have copped a Pro but they are on back order locally and needed a new phone immediately. I had upgraded from a Samsung S8 to a second hand S10 through one of those Green Gadgets online sellers but there were issues with voice calls and returned it. Pixel 6 is good, solid, no-nonsense phone. Bugger all accessories for it and the screen tech isn't on the same level as the Samsung but the upgraded refresh rate is nice. Hoping it lasts 5 years or so.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Pixel 7 Pro.

I like it. I'm a bit over this trend of phones being ridiculously slippery though.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Yeah. In Japan they were offering a $300 trade in on Pixel 6s to upgrade to the 7 - had a look at the spec sheets and there wasn't a big enough jump in capability to justify the upgrade. I ordered a DBrand Grip Case for it as they had free shipping the other day. Naked, the Pixel is a slippery fingerprint magnet. I do miss some of the features of the Samsung phones but on the flip side, it's great getting updates immediately from Google.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Funny you should mention missing Samsung stuff. The only thing I miss is the ready switching between audio outputs. Samsung's insistence on using their own services unless you go out of the way to select Google drove me batty.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

What I miss most as the biometric sensors that intergrated with the health apps, found them surprisingly useful. I avoided most of Samsung apps otherwise. I had the S8, was a phenomenal phone that lasted just over 4 years. Would still be using it if not for the battery starting to give out.