Android Thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: Android Thread

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Twiztid Elf wrote:You'll have to let me know what the battery life is like on the Moto unfunk. Looks like a nice phone. You should always check Kogan before purchase though. ;)
The battery life seems OK, but I work in a job where I have to leave my phone off, so YMMV.
F for Fake wrote:Anyone upgraded their Android to Oreo? Mines been bugging me but it looks like some big cosmetic changes so I'm wary coz their usually shit.

I had Oreo on my HTC 10 and aside from it destroying my battery life on that phone (it was two years old at that point), it was fine. My only gripe was that I had to unlock the phone to urn it off.
Oreo on the Moto X4 (and Pixel C) seems just fine.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So, that Pixel 3 looks the goods. The camera's fancy tricks are nifty as all hell, but that call screening function is some next-level shit. Imagine, improving on the phone part of a phone! Go figure.
Not keen on the notch for the XL version; it's ugly as sin (even more so than the iPhone X series). Also not keen on them continuing to ditch the 3.5mm headphone jack. I guess we're not putting that particular genie back in the bottle anytime soon though.
What I'm really not keen on though is the price. $1200 for the base model alone. $105/month through Telstra ($84/month on their lowest-end 3GB plan).

I want to know what the hell phone manufacturers are smoking these days. I'll stick with my Moto X4 for the foreseeable future, thanks.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I paid $900 for my Pixel 2 last year and I'm very happy with it but no way would I be spending that much on a phone now.

One of my relatives has the Xiaomi A1 and it's sensational for about $220.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I'm rocking a HTC U12 these days. Wanted a good camera.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:My dream phones will most likely never happen. They are an Xperia Play 2 ... or a Surface Phone with full Google support
Well over four years after I said that back in 2016 this will be launched (the phone reveal starts at 0:22):
:nana:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

So since 2005 I've had nothing but Sony phones, apart from my first smart phone which was a throwaway Samsung Galaxy Y back in 2013, prior and after it was either Sony Ericson or Xperia. Now though, I've tried something else since my current Xperia was struggling to charge with a loose socket (takes 12hrs from empty) and after many hours of researching today I settled with a OnePlus 7T 8gb Ram 256gb model due to the amount of quality reviews. Didn't want an iPhone or Galaxy and am very happy so far.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I didn't even realise Sony still made phones.

My first smartphone was an Xperia X10.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:I didn't even realise Sony still made phones.

My first smartphone was an Xperia X10.
They didn't last year although they're supposed to be releasing one next month. My last phone was the F6881 (XZ I think) released in 2017 so was stoked it lasted me 3 years. If the usb port still worked fine I wouldn't have upgraded but it was terrible at charging and I can't even transfer stuff to my pc as it's not detected.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Boom!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

unfnknblvbl wrote:What I'm really not keen on though is the price. $1200 for the base model alone. $105/month through Telstra ($84/month on their lowest-end 3GB plan).

I want to know what the hell phone manufacturers are smoking these days. I'll stick with my Moto X4 for the foreseeable future, thanks.
Two weeks later, I got a job that pays silly amounts of money, so I've been rocking the Pixel 3 for the past year or so. It's pretty great, except it has abysmal battery life. The camera is brilliant, and that night mode trick is some kind of black magic.
The call screening is intermittent at best, but when it works it's great. It also has some kind of issue with the bluetooth that I've not yet gotten to the bottom of.

Anyway, I'm getting a Galaxy S20 Ultra this week.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Won't bother creating a new thread in gaming for it, but the best mobile phone game came out today.
Seven Deadly Sins Grand Cross.
Get on that shit. It's awesome.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Twiztid Elf wrote:Won't bother creating a new thread in gaming for it, but the best mobile phone game came out today.
Seven Deadly Sins Grand Cross.
Get on that shit. It's awesome.
363502347 you know what to do.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Done.
I'm 323099497 if anyone else is joining the party.
Really enjoying it so far.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Galaxy S 20 Ultra first impressions.

This thing is huge. The input rejection is nowhere near good enough, and the camera is actually really disappointing.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

t0mby wrote:Boom!
Boom ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Looks like it doesn't beat 100% of phones in this test.....
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

unfnknblvbl wrote:the camera is actually really disappointing.
"Disappointing" is very much the incorrect word here. "Terrible" only begins to describe it. The world has gone so crazy for so-called bokeh effects that this camera is simply incapable of taking a photo without having them digitally inserted via some crazy paradigm shifting AI buzzword moving forward.

It's bad. Avoid this phone if you like taking photos.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Is it really that bad? In the top ranked phones as of Dec mine is ranked #5 but even the bottom line says this

"Why should you buy it?

A great 90Hz screen, excellent software and the best performance, in-display fingerprint scanner and a good camera mean you have to spend significantly more to get a better phone than this

Buy if: you want a top-notch phone but don’t want to spend more than £549

Don’t buy if: you want a really good camera"

Don't buy if you want a really good camera, yet it takes pics like this, and if this isn't "really good" then what constitutes as really good? (Taken on Sunday at a free kiddies event)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I mean, that picture isn't awful, but it's not great either. Lots of digital smoothing happening all over the place.

The S20 Ultra does a similar thing (and to be honest, at this point, I don't it would take a picture as good as the above). The camera on my Pixel 3 craps all over it from a great height.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

This is really weird. Could need more bug fixing in the camera department, but the S20 Ultra was supposed to rule them all.

I’m waiting for https://www.dxomark.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to review it.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Here's some photos I took this arvo

This is my cat on my bed under average indoor lighting conditions. Notice how everything is kinda blurred other than his face (and even that's a bit blurry)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

This is a Hibiscus in my back yard. Again, notice how everything other than the subject is blurred. Normal DoF stuff sure, but if you look closely, you can see how it's been added digitally instead of as a natural artifact of decent photography equipment
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

And lastly, this is the much vaunted 100x zoom. This is harking back to when manufacturers used to advertise "5x zoom!!" as a selling point, but have it only as a digital zoom.

I mean, it's exactly that, but at least those photos were usable...
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

unfnknblvbl wrote:I mean, that picture isn't awful, but it's not great either. Lots of digital smoothing happening all over the place.
See I don't see that, but then I don't use a pc anymore, my phone is my access to information so I'm limited by the screen size.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Well my Samsung Galaxy S7 carked it. I gotta give some credit to the Gorilla glass or whatever it is they use to make the phones so tough these days. I accidentally had it fall out of my pocket a couple of times, and it had some cracks on the screen but you couldn't feel them so I didn't care. I even had some big nights out and woke up the next day with actual dents in the sides of my phone and it managed to contain the cracks to small ones on the corners, aswell as not increase the pre-existing cracks. Unfortunately a rough toss onto the couch made it B(lack)SOD and it wasn't worth fixing apparently, so had to grab something new.
Man, every damn phone that's decent these days is phablet size, 6+ inches. Not to mention different variants of the flagship model to make it nice and confusing. I just want a phone that has good tech but isn't huge. I'd actually be interested in seeing a candybar or old type phone but containing modern tech inside. Nokia are releasing retro phones but their reboot of the great XpressMusic phone has the same tech as the first iteration :? (2G network, 32gb SD card, VGA camera). Pure nostalgia grabbing :down:

I don't like iPhones, don't wanna support google (directly), wasn't impressed with my brother's Oppo, and wary of all the Wuhan brands, so stuck with Samsung and grabbed a Galaxy S10e. Only a 5.7 inch screen, which luckily seems to be the main difference between the S10 & S10+, so it was the cheapest, too.

Edit: Well aren't I the dummy :redface:. Forgot about the lack of bezels on new displays, so whilst the screen size has increased by inches, it's just filling up more of the existing body, so the actual body has only increased a small amount.

New phone is the same size as my old one :up: