Android Thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Re: Android Thread

Post by itch »

Ahhh. Hmmm. Interesting.

I actually want a smart watch now.

Avoid the G-watch R I take it?

Have you seen the upcoming Huawei watch?
-------------------------------------
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

ehhhhhhh I dunno - YMMV with build quality, but I've had a gutful of them. Could just be a bad run. It doesn't change the fact that the G-Watch R is the best-looking one out right now.

I'm very interested in the Huawahwahhhwei watch, but they're an unknown. Usually they make cheap & not-very-cheerful stuff. Can they pull off the premium device they're promoting?
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

What do you think about the way it sits on the wrist?

Looking at it again it looks a bit awkward.

I think the black one looks best.

(One thing I like about it is it has a sapphire glass face)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

the G-Watch R doesn't look like it's all that comfortable in pictures either, but it's just fine. Not concerned at all.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Oneplus One get.

Very nice.

Only 2 disappointments. 1 is that the earpiece was super quiet on the stock CM11 rom.

Flashed to CM12 and it's perfect (extremely loud even).

The other one is that it seems to love high amp charging. Using my iPad AC -> USB charger (5.2v 2.4a) it will go from 15-100% in 50 minutes.

But using a AC charger that is 5.0v 2.0a it estimates 2hrs to reach 100% from 20%.

I think unless it receives that high amp charging, it throttles the charge down to 'usb' speeds.

Even using the 'turbo charged' USB outlet on the back of my PC which is apparently guaranteed to 2.0 amps will give a total charge time over 2 hrs. :/

Then again, am I expecting too much?

It's a 3,100 mah battery, is 2 hours pretty standard of a battery that size?

It seems the whole charging paradigm has become quite fragmented lately, with all sorts of 'qualcomm' charging standards emerging, etc...
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

Just picked up a Nexus 6. I've had the Galaxy Note 4 since February after replacing my nokia1520 simply due to frustration with the gaps in windows phone.

The note 4 has been the laggiest shittiest phone I've ever owned. Took it to the Samsung store where they reflashed it, upgraded to lollipop when the upgrade came out a couple weeks ago but didn't get much improvement. Skipping music, stuttering or huge delay scrolling in chrome. Was really disappointing for a top end phone.

The nexus 6 is nice. Fast, smooth. This is my first stock android experience which so far isn't too bad. Can't stand the white app drawer though.

Only issue I've been having is using play music with my Bluetooth headphones. Works fine but just twice now it's been playing songs with no sound with or without the headphones connected. Requires I either restart the phone or kill the play music app service. This is playing local music too. Any ideas?

Any tips for making the most out of stock android? Other apps?
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

What's with android phones and high memory usage? I could just boot up my phone with no user opened apps running and it's already used up 3qtrs of my 3GB of ram. SGS6. It's a decent phone, performance is really snappy with the new, less bloated touch wiz. But it consumes memory like crazy. I think the current model iPhone are using just 1gb ram and doing fine.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

flipswitch wrote:I could just boot up my phone with no user opened apps running and it's already used up 3qtrs of my 3GB of ram.
unused RAM is wasted RAM, remember. Android's memory management system is quite intelligent and works transparently to the user. You really don't need to hunt down what's using all that memory!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Awwww yisssss
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

I stepped on my Nexus 6 :(
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

I swore I asked this earlier-

Not trolling, but why would one but that hybrid over a sp3/4?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Well, it'll probably be cheaper, for starters. Secondly, I don't particularly want a fully-functioning Windows tablet unless it's every bit as capable as my desktop PC. Which it'll never be.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

Fair enough... Price will be interesting as it looks like a premium device.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I recently suffered a loss and cracked my lumia 1520. With my disappointment in w10 mobile progress and lack of 6inch options, I'm back in the android camp.

Recently picked up an oppo R7 plus.

This lovely magnesium alloy crafted beauty has a lush 6inch 1080p amoled screen and is much more compact compared to the 1520, basically the same size and build quality of an iphone 6 plus but with .5 larger screen.

She's running a qualcomm 615 processor, a mid range chip that's solid enough to do the job, I've been pretty happy with performance, the device is fast and it rarely drops frames in the ui, most of the games I have run solid 60fps, more intense ones 30fps. Best part is the heat and battery performance, unlike a lot of new phones this thing won't melt your hand playing a game and it's got some insane battery life thanks to the 4100mah battery.

I left the best part for last and that's the price, it retails for $599 via dick smith with a 2 year warranty, it supports all Australian frequency bands including band 28/40, I got mine a week ago on dse's ebay site for $518. Bargain!

Here is what she looks like. :)

Android 5.1.1 seems pretty polished, the app ecosystem certainly has improved since last time I was here.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Oppo and Oneplus are making some great bargain phones eh. Nice kit lestat.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Oneplus is apparently owned by Oppo.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-OnePl ... es_id55560" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suspect the reason for the separate brand was to separate online only and retail, a way to combat xiaomi.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Just pre ordered the new Samsung Galaxy. Goodbye to Apple and my Iphone 4, it has serviced me so well for so long....
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Now that's a huge jump. How's your iPhone 4 been running lately?
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Yeah my iphone4 was running like shit. Constant freezing, crashing on certain programs and so damn slow.

After 4 weeks loving the Galaxy S7. Nice size, runs super smooth. Expandable memory is a fucken godsend. The VR gear is very impressive. The screen is ridiculous.

Gotta love the google rewards app, has to be the best app ever. Answer a question/review here and then get some coins deposited in to your account and never have to pay for apps again. For 1 question here and there over 4 weeks 8 bucks ain't bad.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

the ex has the SGS7, and it's pretty fucking great, aside from the Samsung Touchwiz crap. I'm sorely tempted, but the Exynos SoC is very poorly supported by ROM developers :(
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I don't know what my next phone will be but guaranteed it will have at least 32 gig storage, ideally 64. Hate 16 gig phones, the OS alone usually takes up 6 gig
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

yeah, my Moto X is only 16GB. Normally it's fine, but if I take a bunch of pictures, it's full before I know it :(
flipswitch
que
que

Android Thread

Post by flipswitch »

HTC 10 announced.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/12/htc- ... n-preview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

yeah... that looks pretty nice.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I bought a Pixel C. I won't lie, it was a stupid, stupid purchase and I really can't justify it other than my Galaxy Tab S 10.5 is only 16GB, and that was annoying.

...oh, and I got 25% off for telling Google I'm a developer. :lol: :lol: :lol: