Android Thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

The Xperia x10 is a gorgeous looking device. Just watched this vid...
Just real time vision of a dude putting it through its paces - contacts, music, photos, video. Very snappy and as mentioned gorgeous.

Also cool app demo...
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

One of the traders here bought a X10, saw it today, slick looking phone, the screen is massive on it, he seemed pretty content with the performance of the phone, saying it's pretty fast. Tracking says my desire arrived in australia, should have it by friday i reckon. EXCITE! :D
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Wow!! Looks like Eric Schmidt did spend his time on the Apple Board wisely!! They really copped the iphone UI down to T haven't they!!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:The Xperia x10 is a gorgeous looking device. Just watched this vid...
Just real time vision of a dude putting it through its paces - contacts, music, photos, video. Very snappy and as mentioned gorgeous.
Daaaaaaammnnnn, that's brought me back on board, multitouch or no multitouch.
Last edited by Madmya on 13 Apr 2010 02:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Madmya wrote:Daaaaaaammnnnn, that's brought me back on board, multitouch or no multitouch.
It's available for all android handsets so don't feel obliged to buy it.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I realise it's just an app and therefore available to all, but I was talking about the phone itself. Probably should have deleted out the second youtube video. Will edit now to clean up the page anyway.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Froggy wrote:Hey I want to get one of these Desire ones from Clove, it's a bargain at au $550 for one of these phones! My crappy phone plan is now running out at the right time (May) so I want to get an Android (I'm with total agreeance with Pat's rantings on the iphone/ipad lol) but I have a few questions:

If the phone is from the UK from clove then do I have to do anything to get it to work here? Are sim cards universal?

What type of plan's are available for it here, like what would be compatible? Could I use an iphone plan? I'm with Optus at the moment but I'd port to someone decent if there's some sort of preferred plan for these things?

Do ug uys know how tough the HTC's are? I'm a serial phone breaker, I'd be interested to knwo your experiences with like normal accidental drops, how do they hold up?

What's the shipping costs from clove and how long is the usual delivery time?

(I have no idea about phones but I've been watching this thread, pretty informative).
I have an HTC Magic, and it's been pretty awesome. I paid $550 for it from eBay six months ago, and it was a bargain then. $550 for a Desire is fantabulous.

SIMs are universal. The UK Desire will work on Optus/Vodafone/Three networks, as well as Telstra in metro areas.
With regards to plans, I'm not too sure. You need data with Android, otherwise you may as well get a Nokia somethingorother. I'm on Virgin, where you can pay $x and add on a data pack for another $y - in my case, 1GB for $15 (I never use it all). I think that's pretty good as I only use my phone for data and almost never as an actual phone. Your mileage will probably vary.
You can probably sign up to Optus's "BYO iPhone" plan and they won't care.

As for how tough HTCs are... well, I've dropped mine a few times and it's still going. However, some of the silver plating stuff is wearing off the face buttons, and the black coating on the case is chipped from where I dropped it. You'll probably want to start looking after your handset better... or maybe get the HTC Legend. It's a lower-specced device but it has an aluminium unibody (like a Macbook), which is probably going to be tough as nails.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Madmya wrote:Daaaaaaammnnnn, that's brought me back on board, multitouch or no multitouch.
Yeah, it's sexy as hell... but that lack of multitouch at the hardware level really irritates me. It means that even 3rd-party ROMs won't be able to enable it. As a guy that likes to fuck around with his toys, that really pisses me off.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Sweet unfnk, hmm looks like I will be getting one sooner than I thought
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I saw the Xperia X10 on three.com.au today at $10/mth on the $49 plan. I'm gonna try to get it for free via loyalty. Interestingly it's been taken off the site now though.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Upcoming Dell Thunder is a beautiful looking device.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/dell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... n-promise/
Dell Thunder explodes Android with 4.1-inch OLED screen, promises Hulu app

By Paul Miller posted Apr 21st 2010 11:50PM
Breaking News
Exclusive

It's like Dell's making up for lost time with smartphones: while "Lightning" is the company's answer to Windows Phone extravagance, the Dell Thunder that's leaking out along side does up Android 2.1 with similar aplomb and a 4.1-inch WVGA OLED screen. There's a heavily custom Dell "Stage" UI on top, which seems much different (and classier) than what we've seen on the Streak or Aero.

It apparently ties into Facebook and Twitter for social networking, and taps Swype for a touchscreen keyboard replacement, along with grabbing just a pinch of HTC's Sense good looks. Dell's document also claims this has Flash 10.1 for watching web videos, along with a mention of an "integrated web video Hulu app." We're not sure how that works, but hopefully it's everything we ever dreamed mobile Hulu could be.

Under the hood we'd guess there's the same Snapdragon chip that's powering the Lightning, but we don't have specific specs. There is supposed to be an 8 megapixel camera, however, and the phone will be sold in AT&T and world-friendly HSDPA versions around Q4 of this year, with an LTE model to follow near the end of 2011. We can hardly wait.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

yeah, ALL the Dell Android handsets look pretty fucking hot.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

It's Dell though.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

renders always look good, where's the actual device?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
van

Re: looking to buy an android phone...

Post by van »

All this talk of the jesusPhone... I think it's time to revive some robot talk.

So, I have an HTC Desire, and I consider it more or less to be the very, very best thing I've ever bought. I think I've bought some pretty good things in the past.

<3 Android.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

I was having as chat with one if the Google big wigs of Oz yesterday. Pretty cool guy actually.

He had his Nexus One and was showing me through Froyo and a few of the cool little features they're implementing. He was also running flash 10.1 beta on there too. It was great seeing a presentation showing the power of Android in a room full of marketers and sheep all with their iPhones & iPads.

Will be keeping in touch, great contact to have.
van

Post by van »

Nice! I'm pretty keen to get Froyo, but I gotta say, I sure as hell don't feel like Eclair is lacking much, haha. So I guess whatever Froyo brings will just be a 'cherry on top' experience, really!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Playing with froyo, the cloud integration is excellent. I did a clean wipe of my phone and fresh install of defrost 1.2, after logging in with my gmail account, the phone synced all the apps, settings, contacts via the cloud from my last outing with defrost 0.9. Playing with it more the JIT is pretty awesome, you notice fluidness and snappiness 2.1 doesn't offer, it's a lot better for background apps like gps tracking, because the JIT executes tighter optimised code, app use less cpu which translates to better battery life. I noticed this on my sunday ride.

Just waiting for google to release the final code, all the builds we have right now are just test builds, word is motorola and htc will have 2.2 ready to ship in the next 2 weeks, I think google is just trying to sync the release with updates with other vendors.

2.2 delivers just about every feature you could want I think, 3.0 we're being told is going to be a UI revamp, with 1.5ghz~2ghz phones lined up for release end of year, gonna be interesting to see what they do. Iphone4 looks pretty nice, apple upped their game and no doubt that will spur google on even more.
lambchop
The Pain

Post by lambchop »

does chrome's chrome-to-phone extentions work with froyo yet?
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

So the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 is being released in Australia on the 1st July. One Month exclusive with Optus. $0 upfront on the Optus $59 'Yes' plan that includes 1gb of data. Nice!

23/06 announcement from Optus

Looks like a nice phone, missing hardware flash but a couple of other features ahead of the Desire with 16gb onboard memory, better touch, bigger better brighter less power consuming Super Amoled screen, DivX out of the box, reported better preforming processor and High definition video recording at 30 frames per second.

I am interested, but I want to read more user reviews and hear something more definite about Android 2.2 and hacking!
:rock:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I wouldn't trust Samsung to keep it updated
van

Post by van »

Gee that sounds nice, I'd be tempted to buy that outright, hahaha. Curse my desperate need to stay on top of the game!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

unfnknblvbl wrote:I wouldn't trust Samsung to keep it updated
Apparently it just got rooted, so custom firmwares ftw.

In other news, google official releases the froyo 2.2 source code, so no we wait for the official updates, I expect rom cookers on xda to have a full working froyo build for the desire, apparently the remaining issues weren't fixable until the source was available. HTC reckon they'll have updates in 2 weeks, interesting as part of this 2.2 release, they've open sourced all the original platform/hardware code for all the previous google experience phones G1/Dream/Nexus and also made a lot of extra code that android depended on available as open source to better improve the vendor update process, this is also great news for the homebrew community.
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

For me it is either the Galaxy S or the Galaxy Beam (if its not too far away). The Beam looks amazing even without considering the built in projector. The Beam has the features of the Galaxy S but with an 8 megapixel camera, better battery, camera flash and the projector doubles as a torch (and if your sick of boring white light of normal torches, then you can choose the colour!) I have been missing a decent torch in my phone since the once mighty K750i...
:rock:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

heh... I'm going to see if the Droid X has a GSM counterpart and how much it will be before making my purchase...